Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Revolution - New Fall Doomer Series Comes to NBC

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Revolution - New Fall Doomer Series Comes to NBC

Unread postby Lore » Thu 14 Jun 2012, 20:25:09

NBC and J.J Abrams are introducing a new weekly series this fall for television that focuses on what happens to society when all forms of power cease to exist. It'll be interesting to see how they present a world without energy. I get a 'Hunger Games' vibe from the whole thing. I also wonder if it will get a few people thinking?

Site and trailer....
http://www.nbc.com/revolution/
Last edited by Lore on Thu 14 Jun 2012, 20:30:19, edited 1 time in total.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Re: Revolution - New Fall Doomer Series Comes to NBC

Unread postby eXpat » Thu 14 Jun 2012, 20:29:09

Interesting! I hope is nice and not too cheesy..
Thanks for the heads up :)
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Thu 14 Jun 2012, 20:43:46

It seems like the series lacks any "Revolution" since there is nothing to revolt against, although one can always gin up revolt:

One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. (Orwell "1984")
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Narz » Sat 16 Jun 2012, 00:46:07

I'll definitely be checking it out come fall. I notice it's got Giancarlo Esposito (who played Gus in Breaking Bad) in it so I know at least one actor will do a good job! :)
“Seek simplicity but distrust it”
Narz
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cloud9 » Sat 16 Jun 2012, 07:18:12

I wish it was based on a more believable scenario. Lights out is not new but a Carrington event would have done the trick nicely without some magical thingamabob that is going to reboot the planet.
Cloud9
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby SilentRunning » Sat 16 Jun 2012, 19:45:31

Cloud9 wrote:I wish it was based on a more believable scenario. Lights out is not new but a Carrington event would have done the trick nicely without some magical thingamabob that is going to reboot the planet.

I thought the same thing - it looks like "lights out" event in the show is based on some kind of computer virus.

I guess reality based lack of energy makes for a good TV show.
Send more Cornicopians!
The last ones were delicious!!! :-)
SilentRunning
Peat
Peat

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 17 Jun 2012, 09:46:57

I suppose it's much more dramatic if you have a total blackout for decades but if that were possible you wouldn't have many characters left for your plot after fifteen years and most would have Amish or third world roots.
Things like hydro dams built before computers would still work with just retrofitting the controls back to the original design and many a clever Yankee farmer would have lights on within a week no matter how bad the grid is busted.
What might really happen would make a more interesting story but be hard to squeeze in between all the commercials. Too bad it's not a HBO show.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Return to Book/Media Reviews