Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Clothing & Temperature Thread (merged)

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

Re: THE Clothing & Temperature Thread (merged)

Unread postby Revi » Thu 13 Jan 2011, 10:44:21

We keep our house at around 55 on the thermostat, but we use the woodstove when we're hanging out, so it's probably at least 75 in that room, depending on where you are. We only burn about 300 gallons of heating oil a winter, but we don't have our hot water on it either. We wear regular clothing in the house, but need slippers when it's cold because the basement gets cold and even though it's insulated it makes the floors chilly. We use a little electric heater in the room where the computer is, and that just heats the person who is working there. It helps to have a house where the energy costs are under control. I can't imagine living in a house that burns thousands of gallons of oil. It would be a nightmare.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 13 Jan 2011, 23:24:58

vtsnowedin wrote:
Tanada wrote:Does anyone have a working link for Aerogel based fabric?

TIA!

:cry: Not me. Never heard of the stuff. I just read through this thread as you bumped it up. It is sad that so many good posters that were here two years ago have moved on to other things. I'm in the wool camp and wear layers Yankee farmer fashion. My kids call me flannel man.

The job currently held by one of my relative's husband is to install insulating blankets on steam lines in industrial plants. When I googled the term on PO.com it came up with this thread where insulated insoles made of the same kind of fabric were mentioned. Given that the mention was 5 years or more ago I thought perhaps someone might have more up to date info on it, the links in that post are broken.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 13 Jan 2011, 23:38:12

Tanada wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:

TIA!

:cry: Not me. Never heard of the stuff. I just read through this thread as you bumped it up. It is sad that so many good posters that were here two years ago have moved on to other things. I'm in the wool camp and wear layers Yankee farmer fashion. My kids call me flannel man.

The job currently held by one of my relative's husband is to install insulating blankets on steam lines in industrial plants. When I googled the term on PO.com it came up with this thread where insulated insoles made of the same kind of fabric were mentioned. Given that the mention was 5 years or more ago I thought perhaps someone might have more up to date info on it, the links in that post are broken.

Here is a link to the company that makes it.
http://www.aerogel.com/
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Fri 14 Jan 2011, 00:46:31

Fishman wrote:I've been most impressed with polypropylene underwear lately (yea I know, made from oil). Simple to use, able to keep the house at 60 with minimal discomfort. Still having a hard time of convencing the spouse of the thermal underwear idea or the 60 degree concept.
I forced my daughter to wear polypro pants under her jeans while sledding. After an hour I pointed out how her pants were frozen stiff up to the knee and asked how the long johns were working for her. She was impressed.

Even indoors, cotton sucks especially if you got chilled outdoors.

For some reason though, flannel pants are OK as a layer.

I keep an expedition weight polar fleece suit for emergencies and recovering from hypothermia.

There's lots of cheap polar fleece at places like old navy. Wearing a fleece pullover and a fleece vest is good. After that comes a knit cap and fingerless gloves.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 14 Jan 2011, 08:07:05

vtsnowedin wrote:
Tanada wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:

TIA!

Here is a link to the company that makes it.
http://www.aerogel.com/

Thanx VT but I already have that link, I am looking for one in CLOTHING lol. Not the pipe applications.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 14 Jan 2011, 08:47:30

Tanada wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:
Tanada wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:[Thanx VT but I already have that link, I am looking for one in CLOTHING lol. Not the pipe applications.

If you look around on that link I think they talk about clothing also but it does look like they are still at the prototype stage and there may not be a line of finished clothing for general sale yet. There is a business opportunity for you, get in on the ground floor. :) .
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Previous

Return to Conservation & Efficiency