Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

PO.com Visitor Profiles

Say hello, learn how to register, read the rules, get staff announcements.

Re: The Past 2 Years @ PeakOIl.com

Unread postby catbox » Fri 18 Apr 2008, 17:26:02

3 years or so for me.
Going to finish the chicken run now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pe4XVVUbiA

catbox
Punk is not really a style of music. It was more like a state of mind.
-Mike Watt
catbox
Coal
Coal

Location: I heard we are not the real America..Eugene, Oregon.

Unread postby Heineken » Fri 18 Apr 2008, 18:23:53

It's hard for me to admit this, but PO.com has become a pretty important part of my existence. It's a touchstone for me. I visit almost every day, and have done so for almost four years now (including a few months of lurking).

All of the horrible events I've feared continue to gather shape and momentum.

I cannot remember a time in my life (which goes back 52 years) when the outlook was worse.

I obtain some comfort from commiserating with sane, brilliant people here who see things as they are, and will be.

Deep thanks to the administrators and moderators (including the few I disagree with) for all they do to keep my "touchstone" intact.

Happy four-year "birthday," Aaron.
"Actually, humans died out long ago."
---Abused, abandoned hunting dog

"Things have entered a stage where the only change that is possible is for things to get worse."
---I & my bro.
Heineken
Expert
Expert

Unread postby BigTex » Fri 18 Apr 2008, 18:33:30

...you see, people can talk doom anywhere. They come to peakoil.com for the attitude and the atmosphere.

:)
BigTex
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 18 Apr 2008, 19:25:50

I picked three years though technically today is two years 355 days.

Keep up the good work! I hope and pray this all turns out better than I expect it too!

As I have mentioned now and then I found this site while researching an article on Bio-diesel I was writing for a Ezine. Shockingly enough it will be out in hardcover this June for anyone interested in how much I screwed it up three years ago. Amazon Link

Or you can probably find the Ezine version free now on Webscriptions Ebooks

I hope this doesn't come accross as SPAM, I am just excited about finally acheiving dead tree status!
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Aaron » Fri 18 Apr 2008, 19:26:16

BigTex wrote:...you see, people can talk doom anywhere. They come to peakoil.com for the attitude and the atmosphere.

It's all about the flare.
The problem is, of course, that not only is economics bankrupt, but it has always been nothing more than politics in disguise... economics is a form of brain damage.

Hazel Henderson
Aaron
Resting in Peace

Unread postby syrac818 » Fri 18 Apr 2008, 19:35:27

It has been good times on here for about 4 years!

The whole time has been very, very interesting. I still truly believe that the vast majority of posters on here need medication. To check this place on a daily basis so you can commiserate about the tremendous horror that is sure to be upon us - I'm just not sure it's healthy. But hey, everybody has their own idea of a good time.

With that being said, I think this forum has provided me with solid information and a deeper understand of the issue at hand. Despite my opinions regarding people's response to this issue, I think there knowledge of the actual issue is tremendous. I have made a killing in the energy sector thanks largely to what I learned here, and I'm trust me I'm no investment genius. You guys have given me a very valuable perspective on the current state of things and I truly appreciate that.

For me, this place is kind of gem with a lot of shit all over it. If you can brush off the shit, there is a ton of value here.

And I think we'll all be ok.
syrac818
Peat
Peat

Unread postby auscanman » Fri 18 Apr 2008, 19:59:25

Thanks a lot to you Aaron, and all the volunteers that help run this site.

This is the only online discussion forum that I actively participate in, and I think that's because no other topic is so critical to our future, and encompasses so many different areas. The range of views, perspectives, and experience that is available on here is really incredible.

Keep up the good work!
Last edited by auscanman on Fri 18 Apr 2008, 20:00:14, edited 1 time in total.
auscanman
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby jerry_mcmanus » Fri 18 Apr 2008, 19:59:29

As a long time lurker and brand new member (first post!) I would also like to give a heartfelt "thanks!". PO.com is on my short list of sites that must be visited at least once a day, and has been for several years.

Congrats to the admins, moderators, and members for a job well done, and here's to many more years (hopefully) of enjoying the spectacular slow-motion train wreck that is the collapse of industrial civilization.

Cheers,
Jerry
jerry_mcmanus
Wood
Wood

Unread postby BigTex » Fri 18 Apr 2008, 20:07:33

jerry_mcmanus wrote:Congrats to the admins, moderators, and members for a job well done, and here's to many more years (hopefully) of enjoying the spectacular slow-motion train wreck that is the collapse of industrial civilization.

Cheers,
Jerry

Grand slam in the first at bat!!!

I nominate that for member quotes.
:)
BigTex
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby eXpat » Fri 18 Apr 2008, 20:38:31

All I can say is a big thanks to Aaron for setting up PO.com and all the volunteers for keeping the site running. Stellar work :)
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby like_the_dinosaurs » Fri 18 Apr 2008, 20:54:33

Peakoil.com has become a dailly routine for me. I have gained so much more in knowledge since coming to this site especialy in regards to preparation. Thankyou and goodluck to everyone.
"The elite DO believe they are worshipping and are being directed by demon creatures." ALEX JONES
like_the_dinosaurs
Peat
Peat

Unread postby kpeavey » Fri 18 Apr 2008, 21:14:54

I'd like to thank Leanan and Wagaeri for their outstanding service handling the news. The relentless efforts are greatly appreciated.

[APPLAUSE]

I've logged in at 3AM and found new articles. I do not recall a day going by without new articles posted. Let's all pitch in and send them each a sack of rice.

While I might have been able to prepare for the future in some fashion on my own, the forums have been an absolute lifesaver. The wealth of information contained therein offer organization, methods, plans, scenarios, information and insight which is not accessible otherwise. I would pay money for a browsable CD of the database. To whom do I write the check?

There are contributors and posters around here who have also enhance the peakoil.com experience. I'm sure I'm leaving some people out due to my unresponsive brain, but I think a big round of applause would be appropriate for (in no particular order): Pops, Montequest, Shanny (sell me your farm), Ludi (even though I don't always agree with your posts), SpringCreekFarm, CarlinsDarlin, oowolf, Smallpoxgirl, emersonbiggins, MD, that JPL guy stuck in France, Jack, Roccman, MadPaddy, Steamcannon, Eastbay, Heineken, Revi (a fellow Mainer), Blacksmith, mmasters, BigTex, davep, kevincarter, TheTurtle, wisconsin_cur, Strider5700, and many more. Disclaimer: If you think you need to be on this list but got left off, give yourself a pat on the back and take tomorrow off.

This site offers a survival advantage. In the end, when it is no longer available, that will be its legacy.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--for ever."
-George Orwell, 1984
_____

twenty centuries of stony sleep were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle, and what rough beast, its hour come round at last, slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
-George Yeats
kpeavey
Expert
Expert

Unread postby RedStateGreen » Fri 18 Apr 2008, 21:59:12

Thank you to Aaron and all the moderators here for your hard work. I haven't been here a year yet, but I find the news and ideas here (especially the PFTF board) very helpful.

This is one of those rare places where even though it's rough and tumble at times, a newcomer is brought in and allowed to find their spot in the living room along with the rest of the family. Thanks. :)
efarmer wrote:"Taste the sizzling fury of fajita skillet death you marauding zombie goon!"

First thing to ask: Cui bono?
RedStateGreen
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby zoidberg » Sat 19 Apr 2008, 02:42:03

It gratifies me that my sometimes extreme and unpalatable viewpoints have been read by so many people in this context. I hope I've done my bit to stir the pot a bit.

Thank you peakoil.com.
zoidberg
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby mgibbons19 » Sat 19 Apr 2008, 08:18:45

I've also got to say that being able to read and talk here at this site, as well as read stuff that seems completely insane makes it all more ok too.

I remember when I first heard about this, and I read everything in site for at least a year. I worried about the future. I mourned for what we would lose.

And now, well what happens will happen. I can live with it. This largely comes from reading thousands of posts here at PO.
mgibbons19
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby wisconsin_cur » Sat 19 Apr 2008, 08:37:09

A little less than a year... my birthday is coming up :)
http://www.thenewfederalistpapers.com
wisconsin_cur
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Heineken » Sat 19 Apr 2008, 11:50:06

syrac818 wrote:To check this place on a daily basis so you can commiserate about the tremendous horror that is sure to be upon us - I'm just not sure it's healthy. But hey, everybody has their own idea of a good time.

Communing with mainstream is not my idea of healthy, either. I'd rather rub shoulders with these "aware" people than shamble around with the consumerist zombies, having to hold my tongue lest I offend or get shot for violating the party line.
"Actually, humans died out long ago."
---Abused, abandoned hunting dog

"Things have entered a stage where the only change that is possible is for things to get worse."
---I & my bro.
Heineken
Expert
Expert

Unread postby drew » Sat 19 Apr 2008, 11:55:59

Ah what a place! I've been here 4 years now. Christ I'm obsessed, and I've only posted 700 times or so.

I remember when I first joined because of the month long battle that sprung up with that certain mod named MONTEQUEST!!!!

Oh, the fun!

Anyways what a great community. I come here everyday, read everyday, I just don't post that much.

You've done a fine job Aaron!

Drew
drew
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

PeakOil.com Traffic updates (merged)

Unread postby kpeavey » Mon 12 May 2008, 11:18:49

May 11, 2008 brought the site population to the 20k mark. Well Done

29 Feb 2004 1st member Admin
Mar 31, 2004 26 members
Apr 30, 2004 59 +33
May 31, 2004 154 +95
Jun 30, 2004 255 +101
Jul 26, 2004 398 +143
Aug 31, 2004 567 +169
Sep 30, 2004 691 +124
Oct 04, 2004 I showed up, a Landmark Event
Oct 31, 2004 954 +263
Nov 30, 2004 1174 +220
Dec 31, 2004 1361 +187

Dec 31, 2005 4447 +3086
Dec 31, 2006 14638 +10191 Banner Year (Peak New Members?)
Dec 31, 2007 17396 +2758
May 11, 2008 20000

Dec 31, 2008 Projection 27352
Dec 31 2020 Projection 0
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--for ever."
-George Orwell, 1984
_____

twenty centuries of stony sleep were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle, and what rough beast, its hour come round at last, slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
-George Yeats
kpeavey
Expert
Expert

Re: Peakoil.com sees its 20000th member

Unread postby joeltrout » Mon 12 May 2008, 13:13:58

Is there any way to see how many members are currently active.

It seems I run into the same faces on most threads.

joeltrout
joeltrout
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome