Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Peak Oil News Addiction

Discussions related to the physiological and psychological effects of peak oil on our members and future generations.

Re: Peak Oil News Addiction

Unread postby AgentR11 » Mon 05 Mar 2012, 18:20:23

babystrangeloop wrote:Then I will be as good as back to early 2004 when I didn't know. At that point I will be sane again. I will be sane and normal and I won't be a kook like you.

I'll be popular and people will love me as I say "there is no reason for gas prices to be this high!"

Sanity may be overrated but you won't make a great liar this way. People want there to be a reason, and you have to figure out what reason they'll most likely believe at the time. If you're in conservative territory, an "Obama botched it good, cutting off all the drilling, now there's not enough and the price is going up."; if in liberal territory, blame speculators and Bush era policies. They'll lap it up good.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby babystrangeloop » Mon 05 Mar 2012, 18:37:24

babystrangeloop
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby babystrangeloop » Mon 05 Mar 2012, 18:51:45

How to Lie
AgentR11 / January 23, 2011

Keep the smiling to a normal minimum. Think about smarmy people who smile too much when wanting to get something from you; that kind of smiling alerts you to something being up, so avoid overdoing the smiles. Definitely don't laugh or chuckle.
babystrangeloop
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby AgentR11 » Mon 05 Mar 2012, 19:22:44

Those are lies to convince people of an untruth. The point here is to make the topic go away, not to convince them of something.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby babystrangeloop » Mon 05 Mar 2012, 20:35:13

"There is no reason for gas prices to be so high. There is so much oil out there."
babystrangeloop
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby babystrangeloop » Tue 06 Mar 2012, 06:53:07

I just remember watching some play so long ago I can't remember most of the details. Maybe it was Tennyson but I'm not sure.

A woman was obsessed with listening to the hull of a ship she was in. She would put her ear to the floor and listen for the sound of icebergs scraping the hull.

The play ended with the question: what world are (were?) we waiting for?

Here I am, early in the morning, ear to the news search engine, listening for the the sounds.
babystrangeloop
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby ragged » Sat 07 Apr 2012, 21:13:19

Hi, my name is Brian and I'm a PO addict. I watched "Collapse" and "A Crude Awakening" about a year ago. Since then, I've planted fourteen fruit trees, turned my backyard into a garden, bought a truck that runs on CNG, bought my first gun, filled five trash cans with water and talked my mother into buying $4K of freeze-dried food. I'll admit I was going through a mid-life crisis (apparent in retrospect) at the time.

I say that I sometimes tell people I've spent probably an hour a day on average researching energy/oil since then, but that's because I don't want to tell them it's probably over two hours. I'm calming down now after having thought things through more thoroughly. I also read zerohedge daily and have seen "Inside Job". I've got a five year old daughter and a seven year old son and PO has added more than a little stress to my life.

I'll say that I was talking to someone today and they mentioned that their friend found out he has cancer that spread to his brain and recently suffered a heart attack on top of that (at age 41). I realize that even though PO is real, you never know what's going to happen in the future and you need to try to live for the day.

At the same time, I realized there's a place on my lot where I can plant another four trees and I realize I won't be happy until they're in the ground growing.
ragged
Wood
Wood

Unread postby ragged » Sat 07 Apr 2012, 21:41:18

Thanks, I'm jealous of your twenty-five trees. Mine are just saplings. Seven are in my front yard and so I think I'm going to put a basic horse-type fence around them in time. I figure if things get worse I can put 1" x 6"s up to keep people out.

We don't have deer around here (San Diego), but lots of gophers. I've lined the tree holes with chicken wire and my cats have caught/killed about ten so far this year.

I'm going to have to give some thought to nut trees. I hear almonds do okay around here but take a long time to grow.
ragged
Wood
Wood

Previous

Return to Medical Issues Forum