Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Peak Oil: A Love Story

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Peak Oil: A Love Story

Unread postby Revi » Mon 31 Oct 2016, 09:07:33

Here's a new film about one man's obsession with Peak Oil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owUIkQJ_btM

It's going to be available soon.

It's been shown in rough cut form twice and people liked it.

The next showing is on Weds. Nov. 16th at 6:30 pm at 141 Diamond Building, Colby College, Waterville, Maine.

Then it may be shown at the Abbott Library in Dexter, Maine on Fri. Dec. 2nd at 6pm.

More dates and times to follow.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Peak Oil: A Love Story

Unread postby Revi » Mon 31 Oct 2016, 13:21:54

What do you think? Where is Adam B? He usually has an opinion.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 31 Oct 2016, 21:58:16

Revi wrote:What do you think? Where is Adam B? He usually has an opinion.

I was right alongside Maine this summer Revi, but can't make it there for Dec 2. When might the full screening be at a theater near anyone in another state?
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Revi » Tue 01 Nov 2016, 11:46:18

Thanks for weighing in Adam B. It will be out on DVD soon, and I'll let everybody know how they can get a copy.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Revi » Thu 03 Nov 2016, 11:57:06

The room has changed, but it's just down the hall from the original one. It's still going to be shown on weds. Nov.16th at 6:30 in room 153 Diamond Building, Colby College, Waterville, Maine. See you there!
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Revi » Mon 14 Nov 2016, 13:28:56

It's going to be uuuuuuuuge! I put some posters up at Colby and it looks like we are going to have quite a few people there!
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 14 Nov 2016, 13:35:58

You're not by any chance making fun of aging boomer peak oil people are you?? :shock:
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Revi » Tue 15 Nov 2016, 11:47:40

I am, but I am one of them. Most people don't have any clue about peak oil. I am showing it to a bunch of people who think I'm nuts tomorrow night. That's okay. It will slowly dawn on them, maybe. If they think I'm nuts even at the end of the film, that's okay too.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Revi » Thu 17 Nov 2016, 14:13:43

We had a really great showing last night. About 28 people who asked great questions about oil and what's happening.

I think they got it a little. It was really fun overall.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Revi » Mon 28 Nov 2016, 22:43:30

The next showing will be in Dexter at the Abbott Library. Go around the side! It is to an awesome group called Dexter Dover Area Towns in Transition. They are going to be a great audience, and we'll have a discussion afterwards. Come check it out at 6pm on Friday, December 2nd. Dexter, Maine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owUIkQJ_btM
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 29 Nov 2016, 12:32:34

Revi wrote:I am, but I am one of them. Most people don't have any clue about peak oil.

Quite a comment on something that was claimed to have happened a decade ago and was so unnoticeable...don't you think?

Revi wrote: I am showing it to a bunch of people who think I'm nuts tomorrow night. That's okay. It will slowly dawn on them, maybe. If they think I'm nuts even at the end of the film, that's okay too.

Good stories are good stories, there is no requirement of reality or facts getting involved. So it isn't about "nuts", but just a cool story. Your cool story. So you tell your cool story any way you want and the audience thinks what it thinks.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 29 Nov 2016, 12:37:18

Revi wrote:We had a really great showing last night. About 28 people who asked great questions about oil and what's happening.

I think they got it a little. It was really fun overall.

Excellent! Let me know if the road show makes it out west.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Revi » Tue 29 Nov 2016, 15:42:03

It might, you never know!
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pops » Tue 29 Nov 2016, 15:43:24

Good for you Revi!
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby MD » Tue 29 Nov 2016, 15:50:50

Revi wrote:It's going to be uuuuuuuuge!

off topic, but there's a kia dealer down here on the sun coast that uses that as his tag line in every ad... we all love to hate him
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby Revi » Wed 30 Nov 2016, 00:34:32

This film might wake a few people up, gently. It has no graphs, nor any real scare tactics.
So far it's worked to get people thinking, which is all we can hope for.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Revi » Mon 12 Dec 2016, 23:21:05

Two more possible showings. On is in Seattle and the other is right nearby, in Carrabassett Valley. We'll see...
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 13 Dec 2016, 16:11:36

pstarr wrote:If you want to move the the public you have to either stroke or scare them. More rational science does not get through the numbskulls lol

The public isn't the only gang that isn't bothered much by rational science.

pstarr wrote:We would need a big giant special effects Hollywood blockbuster to awaken the herd to the threat of Peak oil. Unfortunately empty shelves and unemployment don't make for a good screenplay. I have tried. :cry: Trust me.

The threat of peak oil? Oh...you mean the one that happened a decade or so ago? All the conventional oil supply disappeared and whatever replaced it gave us glut, oversupply and lower prices. Like most consumers, I thought the ongoing transition had already handled it? Anyway...I don't think it worked very well because, well, most consumers fill up their autos once or twice a month can get a good look at what their costs for fuel are, more than a decade after all that conventional peak oil stuff and really, they don't appear all that afraid.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 13 Dec 2016, 16:17:00

Revi wrote:This film might wake a few people up, gently. It has no graphs, nor any real scare tactics.
So far it's worked to get people thinking, which is all we can hope for.

Some people were thinking, even back then. Mr Rockman, Mr Reserve, Mr Copious, Mr Denver, all of them appeared to have figured things even as peak oil was happening. So, when the people doing the thinking knew better than to fall for peak oil, of what good is that? Peak oil back when it happened couldn't do it, the people wanting to scare people moved on to other mechanisms, and all the sheeple got were tshirts that highlight that the wearer got suckered.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Next

Return to Book/Media Reviews