Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Oil Prices Will Never Recover Pt. 3

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Oil Prices Will Never Recover Pt. 3

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Wed 07 Sep 2016, 13:32:00

That is a really quite astounding post. Of course this is different. We have picked all the easy and low-hanging oil fruit our technology and economy allows. We failed to produce the last remaining difficult fields; arctic, ultra-deep, Kashagan et al. We failed at $100/barrel. Not likely to be produced at $40. Or $30.

I’m sorry but all of those fields are what is called “a work in progress”. In the oilfield it takes often greater than a decade from discovery to commissioning for fields and when you have something as challenging as Kashagan it is not surprising the number of delays and then couple that with some questionable contract awards and you have unexpected failures. Doesn’t mean it can’t or won’t be fixed. Arctic is an access issue which can be fixed. Yes we picked all the low hanging fruit but back in 1984 we were saying that as well, hence the big push into the Arctic. After that drop in price the mantra was “this time is different” we won’t come back. But costs were cut, efficiencies put in place, new technologies employed which allowed for fields not thought to be economic or recoverable being brought on stream.

The last hurrah truly is US tight-shale. Eau d' bakken (a dark oily cologne specially formulated for wealthy white Americans. "Buy some today. It's on sale!") and the rest were produced on outlandish debt. Is it any surprise that no other shale play was produced at $100? Or $70? Or now at $40? Not Argentina, Poland. Or England. Just more investor hype from an industry flack.

You know nothing about the shale business or what is actually happening anywhere as far as I can tell. The limitation to speed of development in Argentina is lack of service companies (fracking kit) and powerful unions, in England it is an issue with land access blocked by environmentalists as is the case in much of Europe. In places like Algeria and China unconventional gas is increasing each year, they just don't talk about it. The US was uniquely positioned to move quickly on the shale boom….there was lots of competition in the services, lots of rigs and a regulatory system that supported it. As time goes on this will happen in places like Argentina, Australia etc. Schlumberger is already talking about some new technologies they see as reinventing the unconventional business.

And by this time not being different what I am saying is the industry will recover…of course it is dealing with a dwindling resource, no one has ever argued it isn’t. But we were dealing with a dwindling resource each and every time in the past. It becomes harder through time to find and produce reserves but that doesn't mean it is all dead now becuase of a year of low prices.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby StarvingLion » Wed 07 Sep 2016, 14:00:27

Here I'll employ rocdoc "logic",,,

Future procurement of next generation weapons systems:

# of Zumwalt-class destroyers: 3
# of B-21 Stealth Bombers: 3

There were supposed to be 120 B-2 Bombers and only 20 were built sitting in special enclosures because its too expensive to fly them. Now only a maximum of *3* B-21's will be built IF EVEN 1 EVER DOES GET BUILT.

According to rocdoc "nothing has changed, everything is fine"...

The point is that replacing high oil prices with a junk currency doesn't fix the problem. It leads to currency collapse. rocdoc is basically saying peak oil will never affect the Oil Industry because we intend to defeat it by destroying the currency instead.
Outcast_Searcher is a fraud.
StarvingLion
Permanently Banned

Unread postby onlooker » Wed 07 Sep 2016, 14:24:25

So either the Oil Industry is destroyed or the currency instead. What a choice uh
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Wed 07 Sep 2016, 15:28:56

But it won't stop you industry guys from trying to lure in another sucker.

yeah right. Like nobody ever made any money from investing in oil and gas be it companies or shareholders. :roll:

a bit of jealously inspired schadenfreude
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Observerbrb » Wed 07 Sep 2016, 16:51:04

Well, we just have witnessed the biggest Oil inventory drawdown in a week in almost 20 years

zerohedge ‏@zerohedge 2m2 minutes ago
Crude drawdown -12.08MMbbl, exp: +906Kbbl: API

zerohedge ‏@zerohedge 2m2 minutes ago
Crude Spikes After Massive Inventory Drawdown (Most Since Jan 1999)

If this same pattern holds up in the coming months, OIl prices will surely recover (though I wouldn't hold my breath for it :roll: ).

Edit: It seems that we can explain this drawdown by the storms in the Gulf of Mexico.

The biggest crude inventory draw since Jan 1999... We presume this massive drop is some reflection of the shut-ins from the Gulf thanks to the storms. NOTE - in 2013, there was a 10mm-plus barrel draw during a heavy storm season in The Gulf and also in 2009 during a heavy storm season.
Observerbrb
Coal
Coal

Unread postby SumYunGai » Wed 07 Sep 2016, 17:34:12

Observerbrb wrote:If this same pattern holds up in the coming months, OIl prices will surely recover (though I wouldn't hold my breath for it :roll: ).

The oil price has been unable to rise above $15 below the Etp Maximum Oil Price Curve for more than 21 months. If this pattern holds, the current small price rise will not exceed about $48-$49. Then, the oil price will fall again.

Any bets? This should be exciting.
SumYunGai
Permanently Banned

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 07 Sep 2016, 18:21:50

"It seems that we can explain this drawdown by the storms in the Gulf of Mexico". From Reuters: "Crude inventories fell 12.1 million barrels in the week to Sept. 2 to 514 million barrels, compared with expectations for an increase of 225,000 barrels.

Also from Reuters: "Operators shut down about 11.5 percent of oil production and 5.5 percent of natural gas output in the gulf by midday on Monday, according to the Bureau of Environmental Safety and Enforcement."

That's about 350,000 bopd and 350 million cubic feet per day. I doubt the shut down lasted more the 3 days. So let's be generous and use 5 days: that's 1.75 million bbls of production lost. IOW about 15% of the drawdown replaced the storm lost oil. So it seems something else may be at play.

Also good to remember that much of the stored oil is owned by contango speculators. Also remember their plan: buy low...sell high. Whatever profits that might be had is only monitized WHEN THEY SELL THEIR OIL. Also remember they get a storage bill every month. Also remember any profit that might be made selling their oil at some point in time can evaporate if prices start trending lower (or even if the speculators just think they're going lower). Also remember some refineries shut down for a variety of reasons and thus lowered demand a bit.

IOW the entire supply/demand dynamic has a number of moving parts and can thus be difficult to tell which tails are wagging what dogs. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 07 Sep 2016, 21:46:06

ROCKMAN wrote:"It seems that we can explain this drawdown by the storms in the Gulf of Mexico". From Reuters: "Crude inventories fell 12.1 million barrels in the week to Sept. 2 to 514 million barrels, compared with expectations for an increase of 225,000 barrels.

Also from Reuters: "Operators shut down about 11.5 percent of oil production and 5.5 percent of natural gas output in the gulf by midday on Monday, according to the Bureau of Environmental Safety and Enforcement."

That's about 350,000 bopd and 350 million cubic feet per day. I doubt the shut down lasted more the 3 days. So let's be generous and use 5 days: that's 1.75 million bbls of production lost. IOW about 15% of the drawdown replaced the storm lost oil. So it seems something else may be at play.

Also good to remember that much of the stored oil is owned by contango speculators. Also remember their plan: buy low...sell high. Whatever profits that might be had is only monitized WHEN THEY SELL THEIR OIL. Also remember they get a storage bill every month. Also remember any profit that might be made selling their oil at some point in time can evaporate if prices start trending lower (or even if the speculators just think they're going lower). Also remember some refineries shut down for a variety of reasons and thus lowered demand a bit.

IOW the entire supply/demand dynamic has a number of moving parts and can thus be difficult to tell which tails are wagging what dogs. LOL.

ROCKMAN you are better at finding data than almost anyone around here so I will ask you. How much oil has the USA been exporting from storage lately? Seems like if you bought a few million barrels back in January this might be an auspicious time to ship it off to India or China for sale at a good profit.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 08 Sep 2016, 01:08:39

T - From the EIA: for the first 6 months of 2016 we averaged 480,000 bbls of crude exported per day. But the more significant number is how much refinery products we've exported during the same time period: 4.7 MILLION bbls per day...refinery products made from oil pulled from our storage systems. IOW about 10X as much exported crude oil.

Perhaps India or China. Or just keep selling to the Canadians: this year they've gotten 300,000 bopd of the 480,000 bopd we've exported. Doesn't cost as much to ship to them.

BTW that 480,000 bbls/day of oil we exported this year compares to the 458,000 bbls/day of oil we EXPORTED in 2015 before the POTUS lifted the so called US oil export "ban". LOL. Yeah, I'm so much better at digging out such FACTS then the MSM. Hell, it took me almost 60 seconds to pull up the numbers to prove there never was a ban on exporting US oil. LOL. Do you remember the amount of US oil we've exported since the " ban" was passed into law? Again according to the EIA: 1.5 BILLION BBLS. But that did take me 3 minutes to dig up. Mostly because I had to add each year since they didn't post a running cumulative. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby PeakOiler » Thu 08 Sep 2016, 03:55:21

Tanada wrote:ROCKMAN you are better at finding data than almost anyone around here so I will ask you. How much oil has the USA been exporting from storage lately? Seems like if you bought a few million barrels back in January this might be an auspicious time to ship it off to India or China for sale at a good profit.

Tanada, you might want to bookmark these EIA webpages of US exports:

http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=MTTEXUS2&f=M
and
http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/PET_MOVE_EXP_A_EP00_EEX_MBBLPD_M.htm

One can download the Excel workbooks of the data as well.

And here's the graph of crude oil only:

http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=MCREXUS2&f=M
There’s a strange irony related to this subject [oil and gas extraction] that the better you do the job at exploiting this oil and gas, the sooner it is gone.

--Colin Campbell
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby PeakOiler » Thu 08 Sep 2016, 04:28:16

ROCKMAN wrote:T - From the EIA: for the first 6 months of 2016 we averaged 480,000 bbls of crude exported per day. But the more significant number is how much refinery products we've exported during the same time period: 4.7 MILLION bbls per day...refinery products made from oil pulled from our storage systems. IOW about 10X as much exported crude oil.

Perhaps India or China. Or just keep selling to the Canadians: this year they've gotten 300,000 bopd of the 480,000 bopd we've exported. Doesn't cost as much to ship to them.

BTW that 480,000 bbls/day of oil we exported this year compares to the 458,000 bbls/day of oil we EXPORTED in 2015 before the POTUS lifted the so called US oil export "ban". LOL. Yeah, I'm so much better at digging out such FACTS then the MSM. Hell, it took me almost 60 seconds to pull up the numbers to prove there never was a ban on exporting US oil. LOL. Do you remember the amount of US oil we've exported since the " ban" was passed into law? Again according to the EIA: 1.5 BILLION BBLS. But that did take me 3 minutes to dig up. Mostly because I had to add each year since they didn't post a running cumulative. LOL.

ROCKMAN, would you post the EIA reference you used for the numbers above? After downloading the crude oil data, (NOT the crude oil plus oil products), the sums I got don't agree with your numbers.

Thanks.
There’s a strange irony related to this subject [oil and gas extraction] that the better you do the job at exploiting this oil and gas, the sooner it is gone.

--Colin Campbell
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby kublikhan » Thu 08 Sep 2016, 05:54:55

Observerbrb wrote:If this same pattern holds up in the coming months, OIl prices will surely recover (though I wouldn't hold my breath for it :roll: ).
IMHO It is too soon for oil prices to start to recover. We are still in an over supplied market. First the market needs to move into balance. Then this elevated inventory level needs to fall to levels approaching normal. Then we can start talking about price rises:

The largest oil traders are anticipating little relief to what has become the worst market slump in a generation. All but one of 15 senior oil traders and executives interviewed this week at the annual Asia-Pacific Petroleum Conference in Singapore expect crude to remain between $40 and $60 a barrel over the next 12 months. “The issue is that once prices go up too fast, American drillers start to produce more,” Arzu Azimov, head of Socar Trading SA, said. “The market will stay in the corridor of $40 to $50, max $55.”

Inventories Loom
“The oil market isn’t yet balanced. The market has yet to start working through millions of barrels of inventories accumulated during the downturn.” Oil prices are likely to stay around current levels “for the next two years.”

Price Risk
Traders said the risk of a significant decline in prices is limited as the gap between supply and demand narrows. Global oil markets will continue to re-balance this year as a pick-up in demand from refiners absorbs record output from several Persian Gulf producers. “In general, we believe we are getting closer to balance. Consumption is catching up with supply.” Even when the market moves into a deficit, it will have to work through millions of barrels accumulated as inventories since 2014. The “huge” stockpile accumulated over the past two years, “will serve as a lid on prices in the near future.”
Biggest Oil Traders See Another Year of Pain as Glut Endures
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby PeakOiler » Thu 08 Sep 2016, 07:52:35

PeakOiler wrote:
ROCKMAN wrote:T - From the EIA: for the first 6 months of 2016 we averaged 480,000 bbls of crude exported per day. But the more significant number is how much refinery products we've exported during the same time period: 4.7 MILLION bbls per day...refinery products made from oil pulled from our storage systems. IOW about 10X as much exported crude oil.

ROCKMAN, would you post the EIA reference you used for the numbers above? After downloading the crude oil data, (NOT the crude oil plus oil products), the sums I got don't agree with your numbers.

Thanks.

OK, I confirmed your numbers, ROCKMAN. I see that you had posted the AVERAGE crude oil exports.

Here's a snip of my modified EIA spreadsheet:

--Colin Campbell
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 08 Sep 2016, 08:17:12

Peaky - Here you go:

Exports - US Exports of Crude Oil and Petroleum Products
https://www.eia.gov › dnav › pet › pet_...

I don't know what data you're dropping into Xcell but no need with these numbers. The first two lines of data show the daily average of the total US petroleum exported and US crude oil exported per month. Simply subtract the crude oil number from the total and you get the amount of refinery products exported. But you can just look at the two rows of data and tell we export a great deal more product then we do oil.

As far as the bullshit that there has been a ban on exporting US oil just click the "View History" at the end of the crude oil exports row and you'll be rewarded with a very simple chart PROVING that anyone saying there has been any ban is an IDIOT. LOL. And if curious where all those exports have gone on the chart display is the link to the destination data.

Again, I don't know what data you're looking at. But it's butt simple to find the official numbers: just search "EIA petroleum exports". This why I take shots at the MSM or anyone else that tosses out the oil export ban hype: as you see from the link it would take a 12 year old child less the 60 seconds to pull up the PROOF that such statements are complete bullsh*t. LOL
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 08 Sep 2016, 08:24:15

Peaky - That link won't cut and paste properly. But as I said just search "EIA petroleum exports" and select from the list.

But first try this:

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_move_e ... blpd_m.htm
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 08 Sep 2016, 08:27:20

Peaky et al - Great! That link takes you right to the data that proves my point. So easy to understand...anyone interested in the TRUTH should check it out.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 08 Sep 2016, 11:29:51

If I did it right this is the chart the EIA makes from the data you two gentlemen are talking about.

The big spikes in the 1950's and 1960's is when there were disruptions overseas so more USA oil was exported to make up for the shortfall elsewhere. In the 1960's the USA started importing more and more oil from overseas ourselves, then as the TAPS started producing a lot that oil was 'exported' to Asia in exchange for lighter crude shipped to California.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 08 Sep 2016, 11:59:59

T - Thanks for posting the chart. There are some interesting features that many won't get. The US was THE oil exporting country prior to the mid 40's because the US was essentially the ONLY significant oil producing country in the world. Second, the world's economy began a growth spurt post WWII. But notice how little oil we exported from the 40's into the early 70's. Why so if global demand was increasing? Easy answer: the Texas Rail Road Commision was a very effective OIL CARTEL. By state law it could restrict the amount of oil produced in Texas. Texas that was THE primary oil producing region on the planet. And why did the TRRC restrict oil production? Pull up any chart showing inflation adjusted oil prices and you'll see that the 40's thru early 70's was the most stable oil price period in the oil patch's entire history. For almost 30 years Texas politicians set the global price of oil

Another huge point: notice the boom in US oil exports starting in the early 80's. That represents the lost control over prices by the TRRC and increasing control by ME countries. Also one of the biggest ironies: US oil exports bookedT - Thanks for posting the chart. There are some interesting features that many won't get. The US was THE oil exporting country prior to the mid 40's because 8O the US was essentially the ONLY significant oil producing country in the world. Second, the world's economy began a growth spurt post WWII. But notice how little oil we exported from the 40's into the early 70's. Why so if global demand was increasing? Easy answer: the Texas Rail Road Commision was a very effective OIL CARTEL. By state law it could restrict the amount of oil produced in Texas. Texas that was THE primary oil producing region on the planet. And why did the TRRC restrict oil production? Pull up any chart showing inflation adjusted oil prices and you'll see that the 40's thru early 70's was the most stable oil price period in the oil patch's entire history. For almost 30 years Texas politicians set the global price of oil

Another huge point: notice the boom in US oil exports starting in the early 80's. That represents the lost control over prices by the TRRC and increasing control by ME countries. Also one of the biggest ironies: US oil exports boomed right after the US oil export "ban" was made law in the late 70's.

That chart is much more interesting when one appreciates the various dynamics behind it, eh?
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 08 Sep 2016, 12:58:24

onlooker wrote:Also its good to remember that we are reaching limits to growth in other resources as well

True. Hopefully they will turn out like peak oil and become ever more amounts and lower prices. :lol:
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

PreviousNext

Return to Peak Oil Discussion