Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Newt Gingrich weighs in on Energy and Peak Oil

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Newt Gingrich weighs in on Energy and Peak Oil

Unread postby slick » Wed 06 Sep 2006, 18:04:07

From Newt's new list of what the GOP must do to win the upcoming elections:

Newt on September 7 2006 wrote:Achieve Sustainable Energy Independence.

The country is eager for a straightforward new energy strategy for national security, environmental and economic reasons. The combination of $3 gasoline, watching Iran, Venezuela, Saudi Arabia and Russia get more of our money, and concerns about the environment come together to require real change. The House should meet that need. Starting with Rep. Jim Nussle's (R-Iowa) bill on renewable fuels, adding to it clean nuclear power using new technologies that are safe and produce little waste, developing more clean coal solutions, investing in a conversion to a hydrogen economy, incentivizing conservation, providing tax credits so the auto industry can invest in the new technology and new manufacturing equipment needed to produce revolutionary new vehicles, creating the tax incentives to build the distribution system for biofuels, hybrids, and hydrogen, providing deeper tax incentives for radically better cars (imagine a substantial tax credit for cars exceeding 200 miles to the gallon of petroleum through a combination of E-85 or biodiesel, hybrid use of electricity and hydrogen), and a bill to create state flexibility in exploring off shore with a 50% split in revenue so state legislatures and governors would have an incentive to develop environmentally sound methods of exploration and production.
slick
Permanently Banned

Re: Newt Gingrich weighs in on Energy and Peak Oil

Unread postby gego » Wed 06 Sep 2006, 18:40:27

Government schools are terrible failures, with quality education being the exception, no matter how much more money is poured into them.

Clearly the government can't built reliable levees; that is probably because they only realy understand "levy" as in tax.

The former Soviet Union couldn't even feed itself on its government run farms; many of the farmers became alcoholics in frustration.

And of course lets not forget plunging the government into debt so huge that nobody can comprehend the magnitude.

And now pudgy boy Newt, poster boy for managing his own unhealthy life, wants his pals to solve the worst problem any of us alive will ever likely see!

I guess they have screwed up the rest of the economy so screwing up the energy sector is only the logical next step.
gego
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Colorado-Valley » Wed 06 Sep 2006, 19:59:03

Newt was one of the architects of the Iraq War, so I wouldn't get too serious about his advice.
Colorado-Valley
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby RdSnt » Wed 06 Sep 2006, 20:39:46

I get such a kick out of reading august statements such as the Grinches.

"Throw lots of tax breaks at the wealthiest of companies, so they can devise clever ways for nothing to change."
Gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer.
Everything is coincident.
Love: the state of suspended anticipation.
To get any appreciable distance from the Earth in
a sensible amount of time, you must lie.
RdSnt
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Heineken » Wed 06 Sep 2006, 22:08:51

Newt Gingrich "weighs in"? What with, a feather?
"Actually, humans died out long ago."
---Abused, abandoned hunting dog

"Things have entered a stage where the only change that is possible is for things to get worse."
---I & my bro.
Heineken
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Fishman » Thu 07 Sep 2006, 09:23:09

Slick, your ignore list came through. Clearly you don't like to hear folks who disagree with your viewpoint, probably need to add me to your list. I think several of his ideas were very credible. Further tax credits for high mileage cars, incentivizing conservation. I hear screams on these posts regularly about the "sheeple". Now when someone tries to give them incentive to change folks rag about it. If he's a fraction as effective at pushing these ideas through as he was at other legislation it would be a huge success.
Fishman
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Heineken » Thu 07 Sep 2006, 09:34:44

Newt had his chance to do good when he was in power. Instead, he squandered his time in Congress on a mountain of stupidity. And did great harm.

Why do these guys always see the light after they leave office?

He's desperate for attention and will do/say almost anything to get it.
"Actually, humans died out long ago."
---Abused, abandoned hunting dog

"Things have entered a stage where the only change that is possible is for things to get worse."
---I & my bro.
Heineken
Expert
Expert

Unread postby seahorse2 » Thu 07 Sep 2006, 12:07:39

Newt is very public now bc he is considering running for president in 2008.
seahorse2
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rwwff » Thu 07 Sep 2006, 13:46:50

Heineken wrote:He's desperate for attention and will do/say almost anything to get it.

Only that type of person would ever submit to the kind of abuse reps and senators have to endure in order to hold office. Even the ones from very safe districts get huge amounts of abuse from people who oppose them on issues or based on party.
abundance fleeting
men falling like hungry leaves
decay masters all
rwwff
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby slick » Fri 08 Sep 2006, 13:34:51

I just think it's interesting that the supposedly intelligent people in the conservative side of US politics are now talking seriously about energy for the first time.

I think it's a good sign, even though I think the Republicans are a bunch of evil nitwits.
slick
Permanently Banned

Unread postby rwwff » Fri 08 Sep 2006, 13:45:30

slick wrote:I just think it's interesting that the supposedly intelligent people in the conservative side of US politics are now talking seriously about energy for the first time.

Politicians talk about what the people want to hear. For the moment, its energy. That is why you have to ignore what they say, and watch what they do.

I think it's a good sign, even though I think the Republicans are a bunch of evil nitwits.

Ah such wonderful bias..
abundance fleeting
decay masters all
rwwff
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby kaktus » Tue 12 Sep 2006, 14:01:16

Trying to avoid the cynics' race; still it's somewhat more difficult to explain why yuo havent done anything about something you said is a problem, than if the issue wasnt on the table at all. hopefully more and more politicians will see it as a career to push the energy issue.
kaktus
Peat
Peat

Unread postby rwwff » Tue 12 Sep 2006, 14:11:13

kaktus wrote:Trying to avoid the cynics' race; still it's somewhat more difficult to explain why you haven't done anything about something you said is a problem

Republicans would say they have done something. They've placed troops in strategic locations within oil producing regions. They've opened lots of places to drilling. They've opened even more places to survey. And, they've supported subsidy of ethanol production.

You may, or may not, disagree with those actions; but they are actions none the less, and they are undeniably addressing energy issues.
abundance fleeting
decay masters all
rwwff
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby kaktus » Thu 14 Sep 2006, 10:56:52

great, there you see, then it's not all talk from the politicians
kaktus
Peat
Peat