Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

New oil trading book published

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

New oil trading book published

Unread postby stewo » Sat 04 Aug 2012, 10:19:07

A new book has been published: The Oil Traders' Word(s), author Stefan van Woenzel, lead negotiator at Statoil. The book contains all explanation of definitions and jargon related to oil trading and oil logistics. A great book for all people with a job related to the oil industry, especially when you are new in the business. The book contains 560 pages and is available as printed version and as e-book. The author has information available about the book at his website, http://www.woenzel.com. Sofar great response has come back from the oil market related to the whole idea of such a book. Please give feedback on this article. Thanks.

I will allow this to remain, for now, as it is related. HOWEVER, please see your PM, Stefan.-FL
stewo
Wood
Wood

Re: New oil trading book published

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sat 04 Aug 2012, 10:39:01

Hey Stefan, welcome :)
Have you checked out our pages here on price specs for WTI & Brent? We should have one for Tapis too, maybe next year. We have quite a few here who blitz all the big players; yours truly having won 2010/11 with sub $6.00 total error on low/ high & end year figures for WTI currently running a close second in WTI & leading in Brent. Haven't got a cracker in the game though and I reckon that's my secret weapon- objectivity :razz: Got a job for me? I'm looking. (Got one already, but change is as good as a holiday!)

(PS Edit: I think the mods might let your plug slip as it is highly relevant {pls let it stand guys & gals 8) } come out of the closet Stefan, no need to hide in 3rd person. On your asking for feedback, I reckon you ought to give a little more muscle to the invite to purchase. There are loads of 'buy into inside secrets' type spiels out there. What really makes yours special? The EIA, supposedly the pinnacle of wisdom on these matters has been way, way off for years. Are you better than them? I am, so are about a dozen others here. I never pay for information. If you want to give me a copy of your book, PM me, I will read and review for you for nix. Out of reciprocity I will give you the review in private and you may decide if you want to use it.)
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 05 Aug 2012, 04:31:57

Stewo, as an investor in many asset classes for a few decades, some questions/comments:

1). How about offering the hardcopy on Amazon? I don't have or want a Kindle, at least not yet.

2). I don't want to buy an expensive book that I can't peruse parts of or at the very least, read some good readers' reviews on a trusted site like Amazon. How about having the "Look Inside" feature on Amazon, so one could, for example, see the Table of Contents, the Index, a chapter or two, and some random search hits or samples -- to get a real sense of the quality of the book?

3). By far, most investors lose money trading futures contracts. (About 90%, if memory serves). These are MUCH tougher to trade profitably than stocks for a variety of reasons. Can you offer a compelling reason your book's methodology is superior to a "normal" long term investor who can buy oil stocks or oil stock funds in combination with options on such instruments, and let time and long term market pressures (such as Chindia) work in his/her favor? (There are MANY ways a stock/fund investor can make money, including rolling option premiums that are VERY difficult in futures markets due to inevitable issues with contango or backwardation at price extremes in futures, as one example. For another, lots of oil stocks pay respectable dividends while a long investor waits.)

If you have a quality product, then you can sell SERIOUS volume via a place like Amazon, and readers comments will do most of the marketing for you. The downside is you will likely need to offer a significant discount. Or -- you can rely on a trickle of volume from sites like this, which I don't think will work well until credible positive reviews abound.

(Disclosure: Except for being a satisfied customer, I have no relationship or interest in Amazon. I just cite them as an example I know well).
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby stewo » Fri 17 Aug 2012, 12:13:57

The oil Traders' Word(s) is as you asked for available on Amazon and many more international online book shops.
My book is not about paper trading. It describes the definitions and jargon of the oil business. Understanding a language improves the quality of communication and performance at work.
I also saw that you do not want to buy an expensive book. I think with 25 pounds for an educational book of 560 pages I made a book which is relative cheap. Every body can buy it if they want to learn or if they are curious.
If I get rich I do not know.Then I should do a big and expensive marketing campaign and make the book more expensive. My book is more a serious hobby or challenge and made for the support of many young and new people in the oil market. A lot of people do not ask what a certain word means, they just forward their information with the same jargon. A message without a soul I use to call it. And since people change jobs so fast we are risking bad communication in the future because words get common and we do not know anymore what they mean. There is no time to addopt oiltrading jargon, therefore my book is a great guidence trhough our tribal language.
My website www.woenzel.com just gives information about the book, but now it has a link to Amazon to make live easier if you are interested.
stewo
Wood
Wood

Return to Book/Media Reviews