Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

New "eco-friendly" search engine?

New "eco-friendly" search engine?

Unread postby Pretorian » Wed 10 Mar 2010, 16:03:54

I noticed this site, Ecosia.org, which is backed by bing and yahoo, says it donates 80% of the revenue to WWF and that you can protect (? buy? hire security? both?) a hectar of Amazon forest for 7 dollars, which comes to 1.91 meters per search. They started 3 months ago and donated 30 000 euros to WWF so far. Any opinions?
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: New "eco-friendly" search engine?

Unread postby Ferretlover » Wed 10 Mar 2010, 17:27:26

The World Wrestling Federation is eco-friendly? What am I missing?
Sounds like a new label/brochure for an old scam-- "Give me your money for this ridiculous promise I am giving you."
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Pretorian » Wed 10 Mar 2010, 22:54:23

Ferretlover wrote:The World Wrestling Federation is eco-friendly? What am I missing?
Sounds like a new label/brochure for an old scam-- "Give me your money for this ridiculous promise I am giving you."

? pun intended? Its World Wildlife Fund www.worldwildlife.org Perhaps they are crooks too, as most if not all charities, I dont know. What I think happens is that since this is a for-profit business 20% of revenue fits owners just fine, since 80% to wwf is the only reason people use it.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Ferretlover » Wed 10 Mar 2010, 23:16:35

:lol: Wrong acronym!!
But, we (my DH & I) have given up giving to charities. No matter who it is, we always seem to find out they Are crooks (by our standards).
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 12 Mar 2010, 11:08:06

My bro used to work for them. He was not very impressed by the American branch, but the world organization seems to be one of the better environmental groups around, though of course, not perfect.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby sirrom » Fri 12 Mar 2010, 15:24:52

looks good enough for me,the company keeps 20% of the advertising revenue but gives 80% to the WWF which is more then google donates :)
what did YOU do in the eco-war?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayz1SK4KbX4
sirrom
Peat
Peat

Unread postby pablonite » Fri 12 Mar 2010, 19:28:07

The World Wildlife Fund? :shock:

I would guess the WWF is no better than the Carnegie or Ford foundations. Just another tax free charity operation ushering in a one world government. There are no doubt good people who work at the WWF though.

"If I were reincarnated, I would wish to be returned to Earth as a killer virus to lower human population levels." Prince Phillip, World Wildlife Fund

http://www.svpvril.com/nwo.html

I would seriously question what the WWF is doing with their money and what they are doing in the Amazon, maybe read up on their history and the people behind it first before blindly supporting a front organization for the new world order.
pablonite
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Pretorian » Fri 12 Mar 2010, 21:09:44

pablonite wrote:"If I were reincarnated, I would wish to be returned to Earth as a killer virus to lower human population levels." Prince Phillip, World Wildlife Fund
If so, Ecosia becomes my default page instead of Google. You can reach all neat google features throught it anyway, as fast as it was google itself, and the rest is the same
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby pablonite » Fri 12 Mar 2010, 21:34:47

Pretorian wrote:
pablonite wrote:"If I were reincarnated, I would wish to be returned to Earth as a killer virus to lower human population levels." Prince Phillip, World Wildlife Fund

If so, Ecosia becomes my default page instead of Google. You can reach all neat google features throught it anyway, as fast as it was google itself, and the rest is the same

I thought I might have been a bit harsh on the WWF but not so...
The World Wildlife Fund (WWF) was created in 1961, originally to fund the IUCN. Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, has headed the WWF since its inception. The WWF was launched with a picture of a black rhino in the Daily Mirror on October 6, 1961. Readers contributed 45,000 pounds sterling - to save the black rhino. The Panda has become the logo of the WWF, and both animals are worse off today than they were in 1961 - despite billions of dollars collected by the WWF to save them.

In 1971, the "1001" Club was formed by Prince Bernhard of The Netherlands, to fund the WWF. Initial membership fee in the club is $10,000. Bernhard resigned his position with the club and dropped out of the WWF-International after being caught taking a $1 million bribe from the Lockheed Corporation in 1976.

Today, the 1001 Club occupies an office building in Gland, Switzerland which also houses the international headquarters of the WWF and the IUCN.(7)

Many of the Directors of these organizations are also Directors of other Green Advocacy Groups (GAGs) and foundations.

http://www.freedom.org/reports/srbio.htm

The point was you just aren't making one bit of difference, they are all the same people in the end. Google founders now hang out at Buildaburger events just like Maurice Strong, Bill hangs out with Rockefeller...your still searching with the same people in the end. An eco-friendly search is an interesting concept though?
pablonite
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 13 Mar 2010, 04:32:18

Some one's pabulum continues to be rather....lite.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby pablonite » Sat 13 Mar 2010, 13:51:29

dohboi wrote:Some one's pabulum continues to be rather....lite.

Wow, that was intelligent!
pablonite
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate