Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Microgrids show promise

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Microgrids show promise

Unread postby J-Rod » Mon 26 Sep 2005, 10:04:21

Came across this on /. today. I thought it was interesting.

"A microgrid is a collection of small generators for a collection of users in close proximity," explained Dr Markvart, whose research appears in the Royal Academy of Engineering's Ingenia magazine.

"It supplies heat through the household, but you already have cables in the ground, so it is easy to construct an electricity network. Then you create some sort of control network."

That network could be made into a smart grid using more sophisticated software and grid computing technologies.

As an analogy, the microgrids could work like peer-to-peer file-sharing technologies, such as BitTorrents, where demand is split up and shared around the network of "users".

Microgrids could exist as stand alone power networks within small communities, or be owned and operated by existing power suppliers.

Campaign groups such as the Green Alliance have been pushing for micropower generation technologies, such as micro-CHP (combined heat and power) boilers - a vital part of microgrids - mini-wind turbines and photovoltaic (PV) solar arrays.

Micro-CHP units work by turning heat which would normally escape through flues into electricity. Homeowners then sell any surplus electricity back to the national grid.

linky
J-Rod
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Microgrids show promise

Unread postby Caoimhan » Mon 26 Sep 2005, 12:27:12

The Internet was originally designed to be a robust network, where the failure of any given node, or even a number of nodes, would not bring down the network. Modeling power distribution on a similar model would be a great idea.
Caoimhan
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Ludi » Mon 26 Sep 2005, 16:48:47

I'm very much in favor of this idea! :-D
Ludi

Unread postby Starvid » Mon 26 Sep 2005, 20:07:32

I think microgrids would be very expensive to run, since cheap power is possible only through economies of scale. But sure, it is kinda cool.

And the Japanese have invented a micro 200 kW nuclear breeder reactor! Gimme! :-D

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/ ... i_n9399006
Peak oil is not an energy crisis. It is a liquid fuel crisis.
Starvid
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Energy Technology