Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Mass shootings in US what is behind them?

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Mass shootings in US what is behind them?

Unread postby Ibon » Tue 06 Oct 2015, 00:32:49

GoghGoner wrote:
Ibon wrote: Otherwise we would see a similar frequency level across many different countries and that is clearly not the case with such high frequency levels in the US.

May I refute your subjectiveness, with stats?

That was interesting and also what Onlooker posted. US appears not to stand out alone in this regard. Thanks for the clarification.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Apneaman » Tue 06 Oct 2015, 00:48:48

planty

" Some "experts" on mass shooters claim only evil white males become mass shooters in the US."

LINK even just one link.

Oh and your link to the so called data chart. They give the source as some Facebook page and a review by a security firm. Sounds real official. And another non source is info-wars, unless cartoons are now an acceptable source. Your standards of evidence are pathetic.
Apneaman
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Tue 06 Oct 2015, 00:55:55

Just as a thought experiment, what do you think would happen if a law were passed that fined anyone over the age of 18, that was found outside their home, without a firearm in their possession.
Since most mass shootings involve unarmed, defenseless people, would not such a law tend to reduce the number of mass shootings?
I contend that the first couple of years would see a lot of people killed in drunken confrontations, but after that things would settle down to a more peaceful normal.
I go to gun shows fairly frequently, and feel perfectly safe. When everyone has a weapon, the sound of a shot has everyone locating their pistol, not looking for a hiding place.
Should not adults be willing to put up with a certain amount of inconvenience as part of accepting responsibility for their own safety? Or should we just say we need more restrictive laws, more mental health exams, and more police?
"It don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more"
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Apneaman » Tue 06 Oct 2015, 01:16:48

Hawkcreek, you need to move to Kennesaw GA, you'll fit right in. Maybe y'all should start shoving small calibers into pregnant women so the babies will come out well adjusted like daddy.

How Mass Shooters Get Their Guns

Here are the origins of every gun used in the high-profile massacres of Obama’s presidency.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... _guns.html
Apneaman
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Tue 06 Oct 2015, 01:33:59

Apneaman wrote:Hawkcreek, you need to move to Kennesaw GA, you'll fit right in. Maybe y'all should start shoving small calibers into pregnant women so the babies will come out well adjusted like daddy.

I was asking a serious question. Sometimes problems have solutions that are not considered palatable by some (or many), but should those possible solutions never be spoken of?
If you only consider the solutions that give you a warm fuzzy feeling, you may miss a solution that may work better than you think. And the warm fuzzy answers don't seem to be working too well right now, are they.
"It don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more"
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Tue 06 Oct 2015, 02:36:09

@Hawkcreek

Before we go with requiring every person to be armed, we need to fix the laws that effectively disarm people. In several states, mostly clustered on the east coast, the may issue standard is essentially no issue with regards to conceal carry. You can only get a permit if you are politically connected. Aren't Marylanders entitled to the same right to conceal carry that I have in Illinois and almost every southern and Midwestern state? And while I am on that topic, where in the world did we come up with the idea that we need a permit to exercise a right?

Constitutional carry should be the law in all 50 states.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Apneaman » Tue 06 Oct 2015, 04:54:22

Hawkcreek, I wasn't kidding about Kennesaw GA. I lived one town over for a number of years.

Inside the Georgia Town Where Guns Are the Law

"In Kennesaw, Georgia, a good citizen is an armed citizen. In 1982, a law was passed that required each head of household to own a working firearm with ammunition. Nicolas Lévesque is a Canadian photographer and filmmaker who profiled the small town and captured the sweeping reality of gun ownership among its residents. "It's just like a tool," a Kennesaw police officer says in this short documentary. "You know, firearms are part of our culture," another resident says. "They're not dangerous, it's the people that get them that are dangerous."

http://www.theatlantic.com/video/index/ ... s-are-law/

Shooter Injures Six In Georgia Town Where Everyone Is Required To Own A Gun

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/0 ... own-a-gun/
Apneaman
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Cog » Tue 06 Oct 2015, 05:19:01

Owning a gun is not the same thing as carrying one daily.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Tue 06 Oct 2015, 06:05:52

So Obama wants us to be like Australia and the UK. What that effectively means is confiscation because that is what happened in those two countries.

Think about this for a moment.

"it's impossible to deport 11 million illegal immigrants." Democrats

"I want to confiscate 300 million firearms." Democrats
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Tue 06 Oct 2015, 08:11:45

Australia is way less uptight than the UK about guns. If you pass a police check & haven't had a psychiatric notification, you can get a bolt action or cantilever permit, after several years professional use you can own repeater rifles & keep them at home, but repeater pistols are law enforcement only outside of club grounds.

(There are more guns in Australia now than before the Howard reforms/ Port Arthur massacre, & far more permits have been issued than guns collected in amnesty.)
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Cog » Tue 06 Oct 2015, 08:23:48

wow a whole bolt action rifle. what a thrilling thing to have.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby yellowcanoe » Tue 06 Oct 2015, 08:35:57

Cog wrote:wow a whole bolt action rifle. what a thrilling thing to have.

Quite adequate for hunting which is the only legitimate use for a gun anyways.
"new housing construction" is spelled h-a-b-i-t-a-t d-e-s-t-r-u-c-t-i-o-n.
yellowcanoe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 06 Oct 2015, 08:42:17

yellowcanoe wrote:

You do not believe self defence is a legitimate act?
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby dinopello » Tue 06 Oct 2015, 08:59:57

Subjectivist wrote:
yellowcanoe wrote:

You do not believe self defence is a legitimate act?

I always carry for self-defense, ever since I was born. Two pieces attached to my wrists and the thing on my neck and if I've stretched properly, the big things attached to my ankles.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cog » Tue 06 Oct 2015, 09:39:48

the 2nd amendment to the Constitution does not protect the right to hunt.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby AgentR11 » Tue 06 Oct 2015, 11:07:50

Don't knock it. Its an extremely effective weapon, especially for militia purposes. Not terribly good for modern, high speed, offensive infantry battles; but feeding militia into that environment is like throwing scrap into a grinder, regardless of what rifle they drag around. No, with militia, you want, one aimed shot with ~3k fps AP, one passing shot, and then flee and regroup. 30-06, 7mm mag, very common US hunting rifles; right bullet and anything short of that massively heavy armor with the thick plates might as well not even exist.

I don't think there need be any more laws about guns though. Strict enforcement of the ones on the book would do far more to reduce the number of people killed in crimes. Course... that requires money. Drooling on a piece of paper and then passing it in congress is cheap (and does nothing but look good in the media).
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AgentR11 » Tue 06 Oct 2015, 11:15:18

dinopello wrote: I always carry for self-defense, ever since I was born. Two pieces attached to my wrists and the thing on my neck and if I've stretched properly, the big things attached to my ankles.

Ok, say you're fit and have several years of full contact martial arts or boxing.. great.

Now imagine you're the bad guy and your target is Suzy Homemaker. Is it fair the she has no possibility of self defense because the law has removed the tool that allows her to be your equal? Maybe she still loses with the firearm, allows you to get to close, whatever; but without, her odds would be zilch.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dinopello » Tue 06 Oct 2015, 11:30:10

AgentR11 wrote:
dinopello wrote: I always carry for self-defense, ever since I was born. Two pieces attached to my wrists and the thing on my neck and if I've stretched properly, the big things attached to my ankles.

Ok, say you're fit and have several years of full contact martial arts or boxing.. great.

Now imagine you're the bad guy and your target is Suzy Homemaker. Is it fair the she has no possibility of self defense because the law has removed the tool that allows her to be your equal? Maybe she still loses with the firearm, allows you to get to close, whatever; but without, her odds would be zilch.

Funny you talk about odds. What are the odds ?

Whatever, Suzy can carry a bazooka for all I care and drive a tank. People who are that scared of life all the time should do whatever gets them through the day.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Ibon » Tue 06 Oct 2015, 11:43:29

Can we get back to the topic of the thread and what is behind these mass shootings? A friend of mine mentioned that some may be motivated as a way to achieve cyberspace immortality. Often these mass shooters have a more developed on line identity than their physical organic real selves. This allows them the fantasy to imagine their fame once they are killed, all the millions of hits, everyone gets to read their manifestos, all their on line friends will spend a brief time analyzing and talking about you.

This appeals to a certain alienated segment of the mentally ill population.

These are America's suicide bombers.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Lore » Tue 06 Oct 2015, 11:59:37

Ibon wrote:Can we get back to the topic of the thread and what is behind these mass shootings? A friend of mine mentioned that some may be motivated as a way to achieve cyberspace immortality. Often these mass shooters have a more developed on line identity than their physical organic real selves. This allows them the fantasy to imagine their fame once they are killed, all the millions of hits, everyone gets to read their manifestos, all their on line friends will spend a brief time analyzing and talking about you.

This appeals to a certain alienated segment of the mentally ill population.

These are America's suicide bombers.

In this case it sounds like simple vengeance for his perception of being abandoned. He really didn't spend a lot of time building a cause. More a lash out from the internal conflict of a sick mind.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

PreviousNext

Return to North America Discussion