Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Marvel Infinity War goes "Malthus"

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Marvel Infinity War goes "Malthus"

Unread postby asg70 » Mon 30 Apr 2018, 13:34:03

I'm surprised nobody started a thread about this.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2018/04/is-thanos-right/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jvchamary/ ... cd37c1c58d
https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2018/0 ... finity-war

We haven't seen a malthusian megalomaniac like this since Hugo Drax in Moonraker 40 some odd years ago.

This film, of course, takes for granted that all life in the universe will breed itself into extinction, and so Thanos' solution must work on pumping up the death-rate, but the fact is that his prescription for sustainability is not far off from people I've seen post here, such as "Montequest" or figures such as Al Bartlett and his right-hand-list.

Considering this film's scale, it will likely beat Black Panther to become the biggest grosser of all time, which in turn beat Avatar, another film that covered limits to growth (in a noble savage sort of way).

What do you think this has to say about the zeitgeist of the developed world?
Last edited by Tanada on Wed 02 May 2018, 21:57:07, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: clarified title

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Re: Marvel goes "Malthus"

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Mon 30 Apr 2018, 13:59:35

asg70 wrote:I'm surprised nobody started a thread about this.

No personal experience here (not into Marvel's stuff at all), but some fairly perceptive/thoughtful friends of mine pointed out some great themes in Marvel's "Captain America: Civil War", and how timely they are.

Perhaps Marvel is going for a meme re being about deeper "moral" content. In a world increasingly run by and focused on various crooks and crooked practices (i.e. stealing personal data, illegal government spying, financial shenanigans in general) and smart phones and video games vs. human contact -- sounds like good timing to me.

Whether they're smart enough to be doing this for social/demographic reasons or this is luck or political commentary (as if one side were the whole problem :roll: ), I have no idea.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 01 May 2018, 19:34:42

SOMEtimes the movie media can get tuned into something that is running through our collective thought process. Star Trek Borg and Matrix come to mind. There is a lot of silly nonsense in them but there is also a thoughtful thread.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby evilgenius » Wed 02 May 2018, 12:41:23

This isn't anything new. Before the movies became the dominant form there were books. Stories like Frankenstein are all about fear of going forward into an unknown fraught with complexity. People always doubt that innovation can be trusted. Sometimes it can't. That's why books also contained stories going the other way, fearing nature. Real world witch hunts were a part of that same way of thinking. The truth is probably somewhere in between. An example from my own life might help to illustrate. The new owner of the house in which I rent a studio has been sending me emails. They want me to sign up so that I can pay my rent electronically. They have the nerve to call that safer in their pitch than sending in a check every month, like the Post Office is suddenly going to start having problems with mail security, or the bank is going to get careless with my numbers. They haven't provided any details as to how their platform is more secure. They just say it is. Well, I've had to get new debit cards a number of times over recent years because outfits like Target, Wendy's, TJ Maxx and others, even my own bank's local ATM, have been targets of hackers. How do I know I can trust them to protect my numbers?
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 02 May 2018, 15:39:31

evilgenius wrote:They haven't provided any details as to how their platform is more secure. They just say it is. Well, I've had to get new debit cards a number of times over recent years because outfits like Target, Wendy's, TJ Maxx and others, even my own bank's local ATM, have been targets of hackers. How do I know I can trust them to protect my numbers?

That's a good point. In my experience, major banks seem to handle things reasonably well or ACH (Automated Clearing House) transfers from one financial account to another. The "safer" part is the reduction in risk from things like a lost check in the mail, forgetting to write a check, or having something go wrong (you're suddenly in the hospital).

I made this decision for my sister, to ensure she gets paid from the income for her trust I run every month, without having to worry about random post office problems, etc.

OTOH, I'm dealing with two banks, both with good reputations. At least banks excluding Wells Fargo have primarily cared about their reputation re handling ordinary customer accounts, thus far. And politicians regulating such rules want to be re-elected.

But nothing is perfect.

Did you lose money on your debit cards? I had my main credit card number stolen FOUR times in about a year before the chipped cards became common. It was inconvenient, but I never lost a red cent, and the bank took my word on all invalid charges.

Tip: Credit cards are safer than debit cards. There are better regulations protecting credit card holders. Also, it's one thing if someone says you owe them money on your credit card, and you need to fight that. It's ANOTHER thing if they already took the money, and now you're trying to get it back. I NEVER use debit cards for that reason.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Return to Book/Media Reviews