Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Local Peak Oil - Bay Area?

Say hello, learn how to register, read the rules, get staff announcements.

Local Peak Oil - Bay Area?

Unread postby seabrighter » Sat 31 Dec 2005, 18:19:28

I'm surprised that Houston and Boston were the first to get local peak oil sites. Well, not that surprised since Boston is fairly progressive and Houston probably has a lot of knowledgable oil people. But still, what about the Bay ARea? Come on, we've got all the progressives and environmentalists! Would be really nice to start making connections with Bay Area locals into Peak Oil. I'd start it myself but after this weekend I'm back to work and too busy to devote the time. How bout it?
seabrighter
Wood
Wood

Re: Local Peak Oil - Bay Area?

Unread postby Terran » Sun 01 Jan 2006, 00:13:28

Acually I'm from the Bay Area, in Berkeley one of the more progressive cities. In the Bay Area we do have a network to people who are working towards PO activism. I can recall I myself is a part of Post Carbon Institute, localization network. The awareness around here is rather strong.

I was at the GreenFest in San Francisco several months ago, huge turnout of people from many locations. Many of them do know about peak oil. I've even attended several lectures/ workshops on peak oil preparation where the rooms had so much people there wasn't enough seats to house them.

What I believe is this, many of the people are out there doing activist work and getting the word out. The awarness is there, but there's lack of people online posting from the message board. Wonder who else is in the Bay Area.

To look up local events, there's meetup.com
Post Carbon Institute, and events screening End of Suburbia.
Terran
Coal
Coal

Re: Local Peak Oil - Bay Area?

Unread postby Aaron » Sun 01 Jan 2006, 10:08:45

Houston & Boston have local peak sites because the guys who run this site are from... you guessed it.

I support any group talking about peak oil, but I will caution everyone that there are many groups, mostly political groups, who don't actually give a crap about peak oil per se, but are just piggybacking on the name to promote other agendas.

I attended a peak oil conference in Houston recently sponsored by the Green Party of Texas. I learned about local businesses promoting their urban garden products, and home solar power companies products... & practically nothing about peak oil.

The peak speaker I listened to suggested we all watch the Mad Max movies for a heads up about post peak life.

When you own a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

If anyone has a serious interest, we are happy to provide a local peak oil website free of charge.
The problem is, of course, that not only is economics bankrupt, but it has always been nothing more than politics in disguise... economics is a form of brain damage.

Hazel Henderson
Aaron
Resting in Peace

Return to Welcome