Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Limits to Growth was Wrong

Discuss research and forecasts regarding hydrocarbon depletion.

Re: Limits to Growth was Wrong

Unread postby ralfy » Sun 07 Sep 2014, 03:01:43

"Limits to Growth was right. New research shows we're nearing collapse"

Four decades after the book was published, Limit to Growth’s forecasts have been vindicated by new Australian research. Expect the early stages of global collapse to start appearing soon

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... g-collapse
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby JV153 » Sun 07 Sep 2014, 04:51:45

shortonoil wrote:In 1970 the average ton of gold ore produced 1300 grams of gold, in 2012 it produced 3.00. In 1970 it took 14,000 BTU to extract, process, and distribute a gallon of crude oil, in 2012 it took 70,000.

70 megajoules is about the energy contained in 1.4 liters of gasoline, if your statement is true then the oil industry was done for many years ago already since you can only get about 17 megajoules of usable work out of a liter of gasoline.
JV153

Re: Expanding the Planet's Limits

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Sat 25 Oct 2014, 23:44:17

SeaGypsy wrote:Access to smart phones and TV, brilliant. Going off on a slight tangent- access to MSM globally contributes to what I believe is probably the next major world crisis- refugees. The first world is facing an ever growing tide of desperate people trying to get in, by any means possible. Giving people smart phones and TV won't solve any of the core problems they are running from- rampant corruption, despotism, environmental degradation and competition for scarce primary resources. Besides not solving any of these, they give promotion to the Shangri-La view of the west. At the same time as having more than enough people to collapse the first world to the level of the third, we have the bleeding heart lobby promoting open borders. Open borders or not, eventually the way things are going, nothing will stop the tide of people flooding from the third towards the first world. There is no grasp at all of the limits to first world as haven to the downtrodden, simply a cargo cult mentality extended to economic migration to the source of the cargo.

I hate refugees. I live in Canada, and there are too many useless refugees immigrating to our country. They are useless...all they do is consume and produce waste. My neighborhood is full of useless Somalian and Ethiopian refugees...all they do is consume, produce waste and cause crime. These useless people become criminals that our justice system need to deal with. Why waste your energy on accepting these useless sh1t-skins into your country when you can just let them die in their own country?

Not two-fucks were given when some stupid Africans die in some third-world shit hole. Well, at least I don't give two-fucks because these people are better off dead than alive. They shouldn't be overpopulating their own nations in the first place. Use some birth control for fuck's sake. If you can't feed your kids, then don't give birth to kids in the first place. I don't see how that's so hard to understand. Yet these useless Africans continue to overbreed and overpopulate the world, producing more waste and garbage.

I got nothing against black people in general, but I hate it when these stupid Africans waste Canada's precious resources. The same goes for refugees from the Middle East...stop producing so many children. Stop overpopulating this world and wasting our resources on your useless asses!
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Expanding the Planet's Limits

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sun 26 Oct 2014, 01:28:35

DesuMaiden wrote:I hate refugees.
I got nothing against black people in general, but I hate it when these stupid Africans ...

It just happens that most refugees are not white and it just happens that they come from places with resources that the "West" covets.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Quinny » Sun 26 Oct 2014, 05:15:06

How come PO seems to encourage racist bile! Fear?
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Lore » Sun 26 Oct 2014, 07:20:53

A sign of collapse, fear, war mongering, divisiveness. These are age old responses to stress. Get ready for the world to reduce its population by half a billion per decade starting in 2030 as the 200 year old hyper civilization bubble pops.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dissident » Sun 26 Oct 2014, 10:59:55

I suggest the mods ban this clown. He is spamming the board with threads on single points that are best discussed in existing threads. There really should be a zero tolerance policy for racist bile. Refugees are not the problem, the corrupt system you live in should be the target for your hate. Refugees are brought in to keep lawyers busy and for the government to spend money straight into the pockets of its private sector pals. A racket. Canada also uses education and skills to allow immigration and then has these people driving taxis since "they don't have Canadian certification". To get this precious "Canadian certification" they have to, in most cases, start their education from scratch and cannot just take over the exams. Another racket designed by geniuses who fluff up the GDP by pumping up the population. I never see all the haters go at the root of the system's problems, they prefer to abuse some immigrant or refugee. This is a reflex behaviour that demonstrates the limited IQ of the haters.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Herr Meier » Sun 26 Oct 2014, 13:30:22

Quinny wrote:How come PO seems to encourage racist bile! Fear?

Yeah fear it is. Fear of having to live in a 3rd world shit hole.
Because chances are the immigrant neighborhoods are not going to be neighborhoods of prosperity, cleanliness and safety. They more likely going to be shit holes of garbage and crime.

It always puzzle me how the West can be so stupid to import 3rd world cave dwellers wholesale and turn neighborhoods into shitholes. Why don't people who like to live in 3rd world shitholes just move there instead of trying to bring the shithole home?
Herr Meier
Peat
Peat

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 26 Oct 2014, 14:22:28

pstarr wrote:Europe sucked several continents dry of resources (under colonialism and hyper free-market capitalism) and never built residential infrastructure. These poor countries have few highways, minimal water/waste treatment, libraries or educational institutions. They were raped and left out to dry, and so they are destitute. Intelligent Europeans attempt to fix the problem because it will come home to roost, has already in places like Libya, Iraq, Palestine, etc. where angry, poor people are destroying the resource infrastructure we wealthy Europeans need to survive.
An unbiased review of the history of colonialism in Africa and south Asia will disagree with your point. Considerable progress was made during that period that the indigenous peoples benefited from. Much of that has been lost post independence.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 26 Oct 2014, 14:36:18

pstarr wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:
pstarr wrote:Europe sucked several continents dry of resources (under colonialism and hyper free-market capitalism) and never built residential infrastructure. These poor countries have few highways, minimal water/waste treatment, libraries or educational institutions. They were raped and left out to dry, and so they are destitute. Intelligent Europeans attempt to fix the problem because it will come home to roost, has already in places like Libya, Iraq, Palestine, etc. where angry, poor people are destroying the resource infrastructure we wealthy Europeans need to survive.
An unbiased review of the history of colonialism in Africa and south Asia will disagree with your point. Considerable progress was made during that period that the indigenous peoples benefited from. Much of that has been lost post independence.
Oh. You mean the resources were returned? I had no idea.

No they were not "exhausted".
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Quinny » Sun 26 Oct 2014, 14:48:21

Herr Meier - I suggest you seek treatment.
VT - Can you point out what 'progress' has been lost 'post-independence'?
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 26 Oct 2014, 14:51:11

pstarr wrote:I fixed my response

What former colony is not still mining gold , diamonds coal & oil etc? Exporting coffee, tea or cocoa? Sad that the railroads have been allowed to decline and the schools closed. Worst of all the return to tribal warfare and loss of human rights. Lets not forget the GDP of Rhodesia and what has become of it as Zimbabwe. And then there is the uncontrolled poaching that has whipped out rhinos and most elephants among other species.
Yes colonial rule was a bad thing with many injustices but what has happened sense has been far worse.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dissident » Sun 26 Oct 2014, 17:13:46

The discussion highlights why there will be nothing left of civilization in the coming decades. Most of the population is totally blind as to what makes civilization run. The infrastructure may as well be God given and is truly treated as granted. If climate change does not do us in, we will be starting from scratch to rebuild society after the collapse. Much like we had the medieval toilet after Rome declined. But Rome declined over a span of centuries and we are facing a collapse on the timescale of a couple of decades most likely by the middle of this century. (Yeah, my climate change crystal ball tells me that agriculture will be totally screwed by 2050).
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Lore » Sun 26 Oct 2014, 17:40:32

Rising food prices have already negated the brief benifit in lower gas prices.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 26 Oct 2014, 18:32:17

pstarr wrote:How can a people be expected to into the middle class when the facilities that make that life possible NEVER EXISTED. You Mr. Vermon, Mr. Country Mr. Individual, have a network of roads, gas stations, convenience stores, warehouses, waterworks, sewage treatment plants you surely take for granted. IT TOOK THE UNITED STATES SEVERAL HUNDRED YEARS TO BUILD ITS SUBURBAN RESIDENTIAL INFRASTRUCTURE that was never built in most of the colonies

Do you get it yet. without such luxuries you'd still be roaming the northern woods in your squirrel-skin diapers hoping beyond hope that a white god save you also.

I certainly do not take the infrastructure in America for granted. Much of it in my area was built in just one hundred years by my ancestors using horse and ox drawn equipment. No one built it for us or gave it to us. My working life has been devoted to building , maintaining and expanding it. Perhaps if you whined less and did more you too could benefit from a middle class lifestyle and infrastructure.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

PreviousNext

Return to Peak oil studies, reports & models