Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Its too bad the rest of the world is jealous of America

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Unread postby Trab » Sat 19 Mar 2005, 13:11:16

trespam wrote:
maverickdoc wrote:Japan and China

True, for now. Question is whether China plans to continue bailing us out or to finally bury us in all our worthless dollars.

I would guess that China will be happy to continue to accumulate some of the US' debt, as it give them significant leverage for some of the issues that are coming to a head now or in the near future. I don't think either China nor the US want a shooting war at this time, so they will use other means to gain advantage.

Being a major creditor of the US gives Beijing a stronger hand when it comes to issues like Taiwan, the South China Sea petroleum deposits, etc.

Japan, for what it's worth, continues to rely on the US for a lot of it's international secutiry, though it sounds like that may change. As long as that stays the case, I think Japan will continue to buy some debt, though I think they will diversify at the same time.
Trab
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby threadbear » Sat 19 Mar 2005, 14:15:49

Jealous of America. I see fat people.

Fat people in fat cars shopping in fat stores.
threadbear
Expert
Expert

Unread postby trespam » Sat 19 Mar 2005, 14:23:04

threadbear wrote:Jealous of America. I see fat people.

Yeah, lots of fat people. Rushing around in their cars trying to keep up with their hectic lives, racing to their early graves from stress, heart disease, type II diabetes, and other self-inflicted wounds.

American culture is in a race to nowhere. First one to the finish line gets--nothing.

Darwinian cul-de-sac if you ask me.
trespam
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Kingcoal » Sat 19 Mar 2005, 14:47:21

America has always been a debt junkie. Technically, according to the constitution, borrowing is the primary way for the Federal government to raise money. Until the 16th amendment there was no tax on incomes. Even then, the Supreme Court decided that the 16th amendment did not supercede other parts of the constitution. I believe that income taxes are used to pay for the debt. The US has always borrowed as much as it possibly can.

Back to the topic: is the rest of the world jealous of America? Yes and no. Those that talk of imminent collapse of America seem to be upset about the easy credit the US continues to receive. I don't think that Europe buys many T-Bills and anti-American Europeans seem to get upset at Asian countries that continue to buy dollars.

I've heard it for years and a lot of those that continue to talk about the unsustainability of America become bitter after seeing the US survive and prosper, year after year. They want to see America collapse so that they can move on to the next level of contempt; sympathy. America doesn't like being felt sorry for however.
Kingcoal
Expert
Expert

Unread postby threadbear » Sat 19 Mar 2005, 15:32:27

Kingcoal, The rest of the developed world, genuinely does not envy the type of American who is having the most negative impact on the world. I would say they are an overwhelming minority, , sadly ignorant, horribly propagandized, but actually rather good people, for the most part.

I have genuine sympathy for them. They are going to suffer the most in a downturn. Their govt will render them for their fat, before they take real steps to deal with the social and emotional void that over eating and mindless consumption tries to address.
threadbear
Expert
Expert

Unread postby DriveElectric » Sat 19 Mar 2005, 19:15:18

Most common phrases heard in other countries:

"Down with America!"
"Death to America!"
"Can you get me a green card?"

(quite often from the same person)
DriveElectric
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby frankthetank » Sat 19 Mar 2005, 20:24:21

FAt People? Yes...lots of them...i am very thin in this society and i get flak for it (what?)...Fat people do tend to be very nice/friendly people...so don't think just because they are fat that they are evil.

I live in one of the fattest states of these USA.

People around here(i'm sticking with what i see day to day) generally are in a race to get nowhere. A lot of people i know probably shouldn't even own a home because they spend more time in their cars/jobs!!! no kidding....

A question i ask to the world is...if you hate the US so much, why do you keep borrrowing money to the US?

I agree that the pain will be severe in this country. People(a lot of friends/family) tend to only see whats immediately in front of them and not whats coming up around the bend. Explaining what the possibilites are can make people stop listening REAL FAST( I TRY SO HARD!)...to no avail...

Europeans are fortunate for their vacations they get...5 weeks vacation even when working at MCDONALDS?

not here :)
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby threadbear » Sat 19 Mar 2005, 20:48:58

Frank, Reread my post, I'd be the first to admit that the over consuming over polluting fat American that is a very prominent stereotype world wide, is not a "bad" person. On the contrary, having met some, they're often good people whose innocence is manipulated terribly. The country is ruled by predators. Rather than try to bring people up, raise consciousness, the media/govt/ corporations prey on their natural human weaknesses.

If they were bad people, Bush and company wouldn't have had to create their hopelessly transparent propaganda campaign to get them to sign up for the war. They went because they wanted to be heroic and rescue people from a horrible dictator and make the world a safer place. That's how it was sold to them. And isn't that what it's all about in America? Sales?

DriveElectric, Your idea that the world's anti- American multitudes would choose America is wrong. Only 25% of immigrants, world wide would choose America to emigrate to. The idea that you're number one, is true only in military strength. As far as a liveable country with fair institutions, you're not admired.

Please don't tell us what the rest of the world thinks of you. We are the rest of the world, and we'll tell you!
threadbear
Expert
Expert

Unread postby DriveElectric » Sat 19 Mar 2005, 22:12:35

threadbear wrote:DriveElectric, Your idea that the world's anti- American multitudes would choose America is wrong. Only 25% of immigrants, world wide would choose America to emigrate to.

Out of over 100+ countries to choose from, 25% of all immigrants would choose the USA? That is quite impressive.
Who came in second place?
DriveElectric
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby threadbear » Sat 19 Mar 2005, 22:52:35

I believe the choices were limited to the G7 countries.
threadbear
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Kingcoal » Sat 19 Mar 2005, 23:30:30

threadbear wrote:Kingcoal, The rest of the developed world, genuinely does not envy the type of American who is having the most negative impact on the world. I would say they are an overwhelming minority, , sadly ignorant, horribly propagandized, but actually rather good people, for the most part.

I have genuine sympathy for them. They are going to suffer the most in a downturn. Their govt will render them for their fat, before they take real steps to deal with the social and emotional void that over eating and mindless consumption tries to address.

So you were elected to speak for the rest of the developed world? I must have missed that election.
Kingcoal
Expert
Expert

Unread postby threadbear » Sun 20 Mar 2005, 00:42:17

KingCoal, It is perfectly appropriate to respond using the same generalizations contained in the original post, on this thread. An American is describing how not only the developed world, but the entire world is jealous of America. He is offering a general description of the emotional content of the rest of the world toward the US. I have limited my counter to the developed world, as I have not personally met too many from the developing countries.
threadbear
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Liamj » Sun 20 Mar 2005, 18:04:10

DriveElectric wrote:
threadbear wrote:DriveElectric, Your idea that the world's anti- American multitudes would choose America is wrong. Only 25% of immigrants, world wide would choose America to emigrate to.

Out of over 100+ countries to choose from, 25% of all immigrants would choose the USA? That is quite impressive.
Who came in second place?

Whatever country has the second highest level of loot consumption (gold, oil, coffee, mahogany, soy, beef, .. ).

The poor know where the fruits of their labour and land go, is it any wonder they're keen to get higher up the food chain?
Liamj
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Chuckmak » Sun 20 Mar 2005, 18:13:41

what drugs are YOU on?

cuz i want some of THAT shit.
"if god doesn't exist, it is necessary that we invent him" - Voltaire

"they say prescott bush funded hitler" - Nas

Chuckmak
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby alpha480v » Sun 20 Mar 2005, 19:27:02

threadbear wrote:Jealous of America. I see fat people.

I didn't realize that all the obese people in the world resided in the United States.I'd better come to this sight more so I can learn the facts as you know them.
alpha480v
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby born2respawn » Sun 20 Mar 2005, 20:35:58

It's pointless getting in to a EU/USA pissing contest, it just makes everyone involved look like an idiot. Most of the people I know are perfectly happy where they are now [the UK], and don't spend much time envying anyone.

I'm curious why I, as a European, would envy the USA anyway. I get better health and social care here for a start.
born2respawn
Peat
Peat

Unread postby threadbear » Sun 20 Mar 2005, 21:42:46

Alpha, You can expect that opening threads with comments like Specop's,"The entire world is jealous of America" are going to elicit some ugly response. If I opened a thread saying, "All the blue states envy Canadians" (which is true) I would expect to get some irate responses from the red states.

And it is true that the US has more morbidly obese people than anywhere else in the world. No wonder. I lived in Seattle for almost 10 years and there was a big billboard that said,"Eat at Phill's, Home of the Big Ass sandwich". You know, Phil would go bankrupt anywhere else in the world. Except maybe Sudan. :lol: Sorry if I offended you, but the US isn't winning any popularity contests right now.
threadbear
Expert
Expert

Unread postby alpha480v » Mon 21 Mar 2005, 20:38:33

threadbear wrote:Alpha, You can expect that opening threads with comments like Specop's,"The entire world is jealous of America" are going to elicit some ugly response. If I opened a thread saying, "All the blue states envy Canadians" (which is true) I would expect to get some irate responses from the red states.

And it is true that the US has more morbidly obese people than anywhere else in the world. No wonder. I lived in Seattle for almost 10 years and there was a big billboard that said,"Eat at Phill's, Home of the Big Ass sandwich". You know, Phil would go bankrupt anywhere else in the world. Except maybe Sudan. :lol: Sorry if I offended you, but the US isn't winning any popularity contests right now.

I am not offended in the least.
You said that all Americans are fat.I defy you to show me any evidence that all 300 million Americans are fat,drive fat cars,and shop in fat stores.
The bottom line is that making blanket statements like you did with no evidence to back them up is not constructive to any discussion.Period.
alpha480v
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Ebyss » Tue 22 Mar 2005, 19:03:01

I think thats really what it is. The rest of the world is jealous of Americas might and power, and the only way they can express themselves is with anger and hatred at our obvious success.
Understandable of course, given we have the most powerful military, a world spanning economy, the de facto monetary standard in the world, free people, and a boatload of other benefits.

Yep, pretty understandable why the world hates America. Their simply jealous of our success, and cant hink of no other way to express themselves except with hate and anger.

LMAO!! And people say this site is all doom and gloom! There's your sense of humour, right there...

Seriously, speaking as a european I can assure you it has nothing to do with jealousy. We don't hate America the country, or American people ... we hate your president and your government. Show me any part of the Iraq war that was legal, show me why America (the gov) feels it's ok to renege on a promise given to the rest of the world as regards the Kyoto protocol. Show me how America is justified in pushing democracy on foreign regimes, while many of their own people are starving and on the streets. Show me how the rest of us could possibly be jealous of your gun crimes, drug crimes, propaganda BS, censorship and continued raping of your own countries resources, and everyone elses for that matter. America has no right to oil ANYWHERE in the world except for that on it's own shores. Show me these things, and I'll show you where to find infinite oil supplies.

I see your quote refers to God, Specop. If you believe in him, I suggest you ask yourself whether or not "Thou shalt not steal", "Thou shalt not kill" and "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbours goods" cropped up anywhere along your religious journey. I'm sure Bush and the 60 million Bible Belters who voted for him have heard them somewhere.

(In case you're not getting my point, those are some of the reasons there is an anti-america feeling in Europe right now. We don't suffer the same propaganda and censorship as you, perhaps this means we see things a little more clearly, although the majority of people on this site seem to see alot more clearly than most of the world right now.)
Last edited by Ebyss on Tue 22 Mar 2005, 21:37:05, edited 1 time in total.
We've tried nothin' and we're all out of ideas.

I am only one. I can only do what one can do. But what one can do, I will do. -- John Seymour.
Ebyss
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby threadbear » Tue 22 Mar 2005, 21:35:32

"I am not offended in the least.
You said that all Americans are fat.I defy you to show me any evidence that all 300 million Americans are fat,drive fat cars,and shop in fat stores.
The bottom line is that making blanket statements like you did with no evidence to back them up is not constructive to any discussion.Period.

Alpha

Alpha, Spoken by a man whose shorts are on wayyyyyyyyy too tight.
threadbear
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to North America Discussion