Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Is Capitalism Dead? Yanis Varoufakis Argues Capitalists are

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: Is Capitalism Dead? Yanis Varoufakis Argues Capitalists

Unread postby theluckycountry » Wed 22 Nov 2023, 04:08:22

Yes, all true, I live in a rural town and can attest to that. But that's 20th century abundant oil and we haven't caught up with the new paradigm yet, we have so far simply printed over it. When the oil goes, so will many of those jobs. Many are going now actually, it's why the middle class is contracting. Add in a financial collapse and it's off to the races for professional jobs. I saw a glimpse of it in the GFC, middle management got hammered.

Consider the example here @ 6:10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lDTdLQnSQo

When I was young there was one University in my city of origin and one technical college. Now there are a dozen churning out degrees. That's the capitalistic model, the new ones were all funded by pay as you go student debt. The city was full of manufacturing then (1970's) but that's all gone. Gone too are the market gardens that surrounded it. A vibrant new city, all built on Debt, hundreds of thousands loafing on welfare. The only thing I can equate it too is the city of Rome in latter days of the empire. Of course it's a lot worse in America, there they have racked up, Corporate, state, Federal and Personal, around 100 Trillion dollars worth of postponed reality.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Is Capitalism Dead? Yanis Varoufakis Argues Capitalists

Unread postby Pops » Wed 22 Nov 2023, 10:20:10

Funny about anarchists, I think I'm sorta left-middle and somewhat anti-authoritarian, but when I take the political quizzes I come out as a left-libertarian AKA anarchist.
-7.5 on both axis @ political compass

David Graber is on the left-libertarian reading list. I'm a graphic designer most days, I do various kinds of communication for business and government, that is also known as advertising. LOL. here is a sort Graber vid on my career:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIctCDYv7Yg
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Previous

Return to Economics & Finance