Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

International Climate Negotiations Pt. 3

Re: International Climate Negotiations Pt. 3

Unread postby Pops » Tue 05 Dec 2023, 12:42:18

COP28 president sparks outcry after he claims there’s ‘no science’ behind fossil fuel phase out
In comments first reported on Sunday by The Guardian and investigative journalism organization the Centre for Climate Reporting, al-Jaber, COP28 president and United Arab Emirates climate chief, suggested a fossil fuel phase out would not allow sustainable development “unless you want to take the world back into caves.”
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby jedrider » Tue 05 Dec 2023, 14:10:20

Pops wrote:COP28 president sparks outcry after he claims there’s ‘no science’ behind fossil fuel phase out
In comments first reported on Sunday by The Guardian and investigative journalism organization the Centre for Climate Reporting, al-Jaber, COP28 president and United Arab Emirates climate chief, suggested a fossil fuel phase out would not allow sustainable development “unless you want to take the world back into caves.”

I think taking the world back to 'camels' would be a good start. We can do caves later.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Pops » Wed 06 Dec 2023, 18:34:43

The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sat 09 Dec 2023, 15:48:12

At this point it doesn't matter if it's real or not, at least as far as I'm concerned. I don't see it effecting me in my lifetime and I certainly don't want to give up my bikes and cars, or stop eating steak, or stop buying crap from the 4 corners of the globe.

After watching the mass climate protests here a couple of years back, where thousands of 12, 13, and 14 year olds took a day (only one) off school to mass in the cities, I realized they won't want to give up anything either. "Where were all the older kids I asked myself? " Like the ones old enough to DRIVE A CAR. Yes, they were off working and driving and wanted no part of it. And how did all those kids get there? I saw no bicycles... Of course Mum drove them, in an air-conditioned car and they probably stopped at McDonald's on the way home to their air-conditioned houses. As soon as they are of age they'll want a car too. It's easy to be pro-eco when someone else is burning all the oil and coal to support your lifestyle. 12 year old hypocrites.

après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby yellowcanoe » Sat 09 Dec 2023, 18:24:17

Greta lost me when she came out as a supporter of Hamas.
"new housing construction" is spelled h-a-b-i-t-a-t d-e-s-t-r-u-c-t-i-o-n.
yellowcanoe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby theluckycountry » Mon 11 Dec 2023, 21:12:23

UN Climate Karens Melt Down After COP28 Summit Ditches Fossil Fuel 'Phase-Out' Language

Last week, Sultan al Jaber, the president of the UN's COP28 climate summit, insisted that there is "no science" behind calls to phase-out fossil fuels, before getting in a hilarious eco-fight with three leading women from the conference over climate change and gender.

“You’re asking for a phase-out of fossil fuel," al-Jaber said.

"Please, help me, show me for a phase-out of fossil fuel that will allow for sustainable socio-economic development, unless you want to take the world back into caves.”

Which has been obvious all along to anyone who understands how solar panels and wind turbines are made.

Responding to the remark, U.N. Environment Program Executive Director Inger Andersen said she lives in Kenya with solar power and clean electricity from the local utility.

“I'm not living in a cave," she added.

She is living in a cave, a cave of mental ignorance.

"We have made progress, but we still have a lot to do . . . including on fossil fuel language," said Jaber, adding "We should not allow anything to get between the fact we have all decided to keep our focus on our north star . . . of keeping 1.5[C] in reach."

The 1.5c target was set during the landmark 2015 Paris climate accord, as countries agreed to limit temperature increases to well below 2C and, ideally, 1.5C, as if that's even possible, and even if it were, assumes China and India would give a rat's ass and play ball in this completely academic exercise.

The president of the UN's COP28 climate summit admits it, all it ever was, an academic exercise.

https://www.zerohedge.com/energy/un-cli ... t-language

après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 12 Dec 2023, 08:51:38

theluckycountry wrote:Image

Thanks for posting this pic of Greta on a train.

I’m travelling at this very moment across Southern France on a very similar train, and it’s a wonderful experience. The trains are very fast, comfortable, and all electric zero carbon emissions due to the nuclear power plants I see along the way.

Greta is on to something when she promotes train travel as a way to cut down on carbon emissions.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Tue 12 Dec 2023, 10:27:20

It never cease to amaze me how "alphas" get so butthurt over the admonishments of a little girl.
Snowflakes indeed.

On topic, I'm surprised that people are surprised that the president of UAE can't say "fossils" are related to GW.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Pops » Tue 12 Dec 2023, 10:33:42

Somewhat related
That means [in this study] information-seeking is at least partially motivated by the desire to do right. By the same token, the finding also suggests choosing ignorance has value for people who want an excuse to be selfish.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby theluckycountry » Tue 12 Dec 2023, 15:43:24

Grown men, taking their leading from children. Oh how the mighty have fallen.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Pops » Tue 12 Dec 2023, 16:19:28

theluckycountry wrote:Grown men, taking their leading from children. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

"The mighty" could use a little leading about now
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 13 Dec 2023, 16:39:35

The UN COP meeting just agreed that the world should “transition” away from fossil fuels.

These are the same phonies who all agreed the world shouldn’t warm more than 1.5 degreees C ……. Something it has done this year

What a bunch of incompetent greenwashing phonies and liars.

CHEERS
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby theluckycountry » Wed 13 Dec 2023, 17:26:43

There is a direct connection between the pronouncements of politicians, whose campaigns and lavish retirements are funded by corporations, and the highly paid bureaucrats they appoint. Scientists in the field do the ground work and their findings are passed onto politically correct 'senior' scientists who pick the best projections and become the voice of the science. Then the findings are passed on to the politically appointed bureaucrats who massage the data even more then pass it on to the mass media and COP meetings.

It's why the IPCC was always 3 or 5 years behind the actual science. This happens in all fields of science now, it's all captured by the political process.

And full of lies.

Fake scientific papers are alarmingly common
https://www.science.org/content/article ... gly-common
National Library of Medicine Why Most Published Research Findings Are False
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1182327/

You either accept this mountain of unbiased evidence, or you join the Que above, swallow the comforting lies, and live with the cognitive dissonance they produce. That's what going on with millions across the planet today. The believe that the world can transition from fossil fuels and maintain the same level of prosperity, yet every day they jump in their gas-guzzler or charge up off a coal plant, eat food and buy products made thousands of miles away.

Cognitive dissonance is the mental discomfort that results from holding two conflicting beliefs, values, or attitudes. People tend to seek consistency in their attitudes and perceptions, so this conflict causes unpleasant feelings of unease or discomfort.

The inconsistency between what people believe and how they behave motivates them to engage in actions that will help minimize feelings of discomfort. People attempt to relieve this tension in different ways, such as by rejecting, explaining away, or avoiding new information.

après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sat 16 Dec 2023, 03:48:43

Now this will get the ball rolling!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-al770fbHkQ
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude