Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Impossible - wind and solar

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: Impossible - wind and solar

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 14 Nov 2016, 19:21:54

The economics of EVs today are not all that good. But times will change and the economics will change with the times. When the numbers get right EVs will become the thing to buy and use. If you can't adapt to the reality of your times you will suffer the fate of the guys that thought that buggy whips were the perpetual source of income.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby kublikhan » Mon 14 Nov 2016, 21:21:05

ROCKMAN wrote:Have you ever gone camping with pure city folks: hystertical and very sad at the same time. This thread brings to mind how some folks act as if life as they know it ends because their Internet goes down for 24 hours.
Did you see this one: airplane Wi-Fi
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Mon 14 Nov 2016, 23:52:20

k - No. Mucho thanks...big CK fan. Wonder how some folks would react if they had to wipe their ass with newspaper? As a kid more then once I had to forage newspaper from neighbor's trash cans. Just seemed semi normal when I was a kid.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 15 Nov 2016, 04:32:46

Why would a curbside charger be any more difficult then a parking meter? Plug in and swipe your debit card and direct paid from your account. A nice little revenue raiser for cities that put them in.
As to building solar panels along the roadside I'd skip the fancy drive on surfaces or roofing and just do standard installations. Cost at present about $1.00 per installed watt. An acre of panels would cost about $750,000 and put out about 740KW of DC power.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Tue 15 Nov 2016, 12:22:53

vt - A distant memory: some northern city installed outlets on some of their parking meters so folks could plug in their block heaters on very cold days.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 15 Nov 2016, 12:34:38

ROCKMAN wrote:vt - A distant memory: some northern city installed outlets on some of their parking meters so folks could plug in their block heaters on very cold days.
I believe that is Anchorage Alaska. I don't know as they still need them with modern oil and computerized ignition and fuel injection.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Tue 15 Nov 2016, 13:08:47

vt - Totally unrelated to the thread. But reminds me of a favorite story. Drilling horizontal wells during a Wyoming winter for ExxonMobil many moons ago. Cheap ass XOM had only an unheated porto-potty for me and the rig hands. And an asshole XOM engineer that wouldn't let us use the guest toilet in his trailer office even on very bad nights. At one point it hit -34F with a windchill at -51F. But at night when the engineer was sleeping a drill hand would unplug his block heater and run the line to a space heater in the head. And every morning the engineer would stomp around bitching about the trouble he had starting his truck.

It was always nice to start those bitter mornings off with a smile. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 15 Nov 2016, 13:23:22

ROCKMAN wrote:vt - Totally unrelated to the thread. But reminds me of a favorite story. Drilling horizontal wells during a Wyoming winter for ExxonMobil many moons ago. Cheap ass XOM had only an unheated porto-potty for me and the rig hands. And an asshole XOM engineer that wouldn't let us use the guest toilet in his trailer office even on very bad nights. At one point it hit -34F with a windchill at -51F. But at night when the engineer was sleeping a drill hand would unplug his block heater and run the line to a space heater in the head. And every morning the engineer would stomp around bitching about the trouble he had starting his truck.

It was always nice to start those bitter mornings off with a smile. LOL.

Payback is a bitch in a black dress. LOL.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 17 Nov 2016, 08:49:34

vtsnowedin wrote:Why would a curbside charger be any more difficult then a parking meter? Plug in and swipe your debit card and direct paid from your account. A nice little revenue raiser for cities that put them in.
As to building solar panels along the roadside I'd skip the fancy drive on surfaces or roofing and just do standard installations. Cost at present about $1.00 per installed watt. An acre of panels would cost about $750,000 and put out about 740KW of DC power.

Well the difference is Power distribution. Parking meters are mechanical or solar. For charging stations you have to run daily heavy power cables. That means chopping up the sidewalk and running power feeders back from distribution points.

Rough Order of Magnitude guesstimate is $150/ft. Probably more, just for distribution. Then there is the feeder infrastructure, ROM about equal to sum of distribution. Then there is the cost of the charging stations and replacing the existing meters. SWAG $1,000/ea or about $50/foot.

So all in on the order of $350/lf of curb. $125,000/block @350 feet.

Double or triple that for big cities like Philly, NYC, Chicago.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 17 Nov 2016, 09:30:50

Newfie wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:Why would a curbside charger be any more difficult then a parking meter? Plug in and swipe your debit card and direct paid from your account. A nice little revenue raiser for cities that put them in.

Well the difference is POWs distribution. Parking meters are mechanical or solar. For charging stations you have to run daily heavy power cables. That means chopping up the sidewalk and running power feeders back from distribution points.

Rough Order of Magnitude guesstimate is $150/ft. Probably more, just for distribution. Then there is the feeder infrastructure, ROM about equal to sum of distribution.

For $150 a foot you can install eight inch ductile iron water main six feet deep and restore the surface.
UFB 6/3 direct burial copper electric cable sells foe $1.88 a foot and the NH DOT average weighted price for 2 inch steel conduit installed is $18.89 a foot based on 40 bids.
So if you were doing nose in parking with ten foot wide spaces the wire installation would be about $210 per space and parallel curb side parking about $450 per space. Lead in from the meter and passing driveways and fire plugs would add on of course but I think it is certainly doable and can be fully paid for by the users once the plug in cars exist.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 17 Nov 2016, 09:55:09

A couple years ago there was a scandal in Detroit because someone was electrocuted by a street light. The city workers had not replaced the base cover securely enough and someone removed it so they could access the wiring and steal power. At some point between the original hook up and the death the illegal power tap was functioning but either ignored or unnoticed. If you set up power taps for every parking space, or even many spaces how long before thieves manage to die and have their families suing the city?
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 17 Nov 2016, 10:18:21

Tanada wrote:A couple years ago there was a scandal in Detroit because someone was electrocuted by a street light. The city workers had not replaced the base cover securely enough and someone removed it so they could access the wiring and steal power. At some point between the original hook up and the death the illegal power tap was functioning but either ignored or unnoticed. If you set up power taps for every parking space, or even many spaces how long before thieves manage to die and have their families suing the city?

That is why you install wire rated for direct burial inside steel conduit. Nothing is ever totally fool proof as complete fools can be vary ingenious and hard working at the job of killing themselves. Build the chargers and reform our legal system so the fools families can't win.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 17 Nov 2016, 10:26:29

vt - Maybe they could set up a special catergory of Darwin Awards for electricity thieves.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 17 Nov 2016, 10:28:33

ROCKMAN wrote:vt - Maybe they could set up a special catergory of Darwin Awards for electricity thieves.

And copper thieves.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 17 Nov 2016, 10:39:14

VT,
Your prices are new construction. Your not used to working in prebuilt dense urban environments. I understand DOT unit pricing, doesn't work in this situation. Bid that way and you will loose your shirt. You worked DOT side right? Try working the contractor side.

What's your PLF price for saw cutting and restoration of 3"'sidewalk. In some areas we were restricted to between 6pm and 10pm? After business's shut down, before apartment dwellers went to bed. 4 hour work day. Just because of noise.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 17 Nov 2016, 10:44:25

Newfie wrote:VT,
Your prices are new construction. Your not used to working in prebuilt dense urban environments. I understand DOT unit pricing, doesn't work in this situation.
Almost all New Hampshire construction is actually reconstruction and where conduits are being installed is usually an urban intersection where traffic must be maintained at all times. Such things as directional drilling and night work are employed routinely. I'll take my numbers over yours. :)
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 17 Nov 2016, 10:49:53

Right, exactly. Vermont is not Philly. No chance of directional boring. All cut and cover. Boonies.

Vermont, largest city Burlington. 43,000 population

PA, largest city Philadelohia. 1,533,000. 35 times the size.

Hell your whole STATE population is less than half the size of Philadelphia.

I've had the opposite experience of over estimating when going from a large NE perspective to a SE area. Costs can be much different.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 17 Nov 2016, 11:30:12

Newfie wrote:Right, exactly. Vermont is not Philly. No chance of directional boring. All cut and cover. Boonies.

Vermont, largest city Burlington. 43,000 population

PA, largest city Philadelohia. 1,533,000. 35 times the size.

Hell your whole STATE population is less than half the size of Philadelphia.

I've had the opposite experience of over estimating when going from a large NE perspective to a SE area. Costs can be much different.

While I have always lived in Vermont most of my construction experience has been in New Hampshire. I worked as a construction inspector for the DOT for thirty years before retiring from them and working for consulting firms for the last ten years. Large cities like Philly have a lot of people that don't own or need cars so thy would be the last place I'd be looking to retrofit chargers. Instead I'd be adding them wherever streets were being rebuilt or new parking lots were being constructed. Where you already have the pavement and sidewalk torn up the addition of a wiring run is a cheap addition. Slipping it in between sidewalk and the front stoop of a Brownstone quite another. As it will take at least fifteen years to turn our fleet of cars from ICEs to electric we have plenty of time to start with the cheapest places first and leave the urban areas until sometime when they are being upgraded.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Technology