Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Hello Pt 7

Say hello, learn how to register, read the rules, get staff announcements.

Re: Just a regular guy

Unread postby Loki » Fri 13 Sep 2013, 21:41:13

SeaGypsy wrote:without descending into ad-hom most of the time

Hey, speak for yourself ya wannabe Aussie. :razz:

Welcome OP, please feel free to contribute to the forum. Start some threads, ask some questions, tell us how you plan on dealing with the Long Emergency, post drunken ad homs, etc.
A garden will make your rations go further.
Loki
Expert
Expert

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 13 Sep 2013, 22:05:56

Lol! I was born in Pennsylvania to a PA 'Dutch' (German) family on my father's side and an Aussie mum. If you met me you would not think for one second I was anything other than Anglo-Australian. I moved here for the first time as a 3 year old and haven't set foot in the USA since 1991. My dad read Huck Finn and Brer' Rabbit and the Tar Baby to me all through my early years- so if I want to I can throw a near perfect southern accent or a PA, or NY or CA one at that :)
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Loki » Fri 13 Sep 2013, 22:24:48

SeaGypsy wrote:Lol! I was born in Pennsylvania to a PA 'Dutch' (German) family on my father's side and an Aussie mum.

Born to Pennsylvania Dutch, that makes you Amish, not Aussie. I can see how you might get confused :)

My people on my father's side are allegedly Pennsylvania Dutch, at least according to my uncle. Pennslyvania, definitely, but not likely "Dutch" (German). I researched my surname on Ancestry.com and something like 99.9% of us came from England. I'm obviously of English extraction, short, ugly, lazy, ill-tempered, poor taste in food and women, bad teeth, alcoholic, uncultured, etc.
Loki
Expert
Expert

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 13 Sep 2013, 22:39:45

I'm the first in my male line to not speak fluent German, whatever that's worth. Mum's family are Irish, English, Scottish, with a smattering of aboriginal Australian nobody talks about- from the early 19th century when there wasn't much chance to breed otherwise. I married a Filipina of Taiwanese, Malay, Polynesian and Spanish heritage so our kids are very much a product of the global melting pot :)

Anyway, I'm wondering if Charm is just going to lurk now? I would like to read where you are at with all of it. Too few young people are aware of peak oil and descent as the key economic issue of our times. Peak oil hit me slowly and in waves. I definitely was not in the 'resilient' category and went through the whole Kubler-Ross grief cycle. I'm pretty much at acceptance nowadays, but the process is very interesting to me still.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 14 Sep 2013, 07:45:50

I hope Charm does jump in from time to time. We all know each other and how we view the situation. But we are far from the norm IMHO. I look forward to Charm's perspective as well as his contemporaries.

IOW Charm: don't shut up! LOL
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby PeakOiler » Sat 14 Sep 2013, 12:31:47

lol Rockman!

Welcome aboard, charmcitysking.

<--Not just an ordinary guy :-D

This updated photo shows me standing in front of a 36W solar panel, a 1,550 gallon rainwater tank behind the lattice with the grapevine growing on it, and some of my citrus trees on the front deck in the background. A similar picture shows up occasionally in PO.com's "Peak Oil is You" sidebar.

I lost about 15 pounds while in the hospital. (Down to about 150 pounds). Can I have a Budweiser now?
There’s a strange irony related to this subject [oil and gas extraction] that the better you do the job at exploiting this oil and gas, the sooner it is gone.

--Colin Campbell
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby charmcitysking » Sat 14 Sep 2013, 18:38:55

Thank you all for such a warm welcome!

Just to qualify myself: Born and raised in the USA (MD). Living/studying/working in Ireland ATM.

SG - To borrow a line from Anchorman, "I'm in a glass case of emotion" in regards to peak oil. First off, I'm pretty pissed off about the fact isn't really a mainstream issue. Everything I know about energy (which is admittedly quite little) I have had to learn myself, by watching documentaries and googling key phrases on the internet. It's not on the nightly news, it's not in the papers, teachers in schools aren't discussing it with their students (on any meaningful level) and we certainly aren't hearing our politicians talk about it honestly. From what I understand, and if I am wrong I hope someone will sort me out, it is the root cause of the 2008 financial crisis and the reason why much of the world's economy is stagnant to this day. I hate the corporatocracy that exists in the USA - oilmen and politicians are as inextricably linked as money and energy is.

I'm also really scared. I'm in my early twenties - I may have a good bit of time left on this earth and the thought of living on the wrong end of Hubbert's curve is a pretty terrifying one. I'm also pretty fearful of the geopolitical aspect of PO - There's a lot of nukes still left on this planet, and it seems the USA, China and Russia are all vying to be the energy kingpins of the world. There is so much damning evidence that our government was complicit in the 9/11 attacks, and there hasn't been, nor probably will there ever be, a legitimate investigation into how it really went down. Something like that could happen again; as oil becomes more and more scarce I actually think it's pretty likely the US would allow another heinous event like that to happen in order to make moves on 'the grand chessboard'.

I'd like to make people more aware. I try to tell my family and friends about Peak Oil, and they hear me, but they aren't really listening if you know what I mean. That, and the fact that, like the thread title says, I'm just a regular guy. I have a big heart and genuinely care about people, and want to see people be happy - but I'm pretty lazy and like to smoke pot and read books or hang with friends and just get away from the world on my days off. It's hard to be concerned and interested 100% of the time, but I'm a hell of a lot more aware then I used to be.

Rockman - What good would stocking up on Guinness do?? Everyone knows it's best out of the tap, and there won't be enough electricity in a couple decades to keep the damn kegs cold! :razz:

Definitely won't be a lurker. I'll probably ask more questions than offer insight to be honest, but will drop my thoughts when I feel like I have something valuable to add. Thanks again for the welcome my bros - some interesting times lie ahead
charmcitysking
Peat
Peat

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sat 14 Sep 2013, 19:30:29

charmcitysking wrote:
From what I understand, and if I am wrong I hope someone will sort me out, it is the root cause of the 2008 financial crisis and the reason why much of the world's economy is stagnant to this day.

There are one or two posters (or one pretending to be two 8) who would argue with that.

...oilmen and politicians are as inextricably linked as money and energy is.

We don't hold back criticizing politicians around here; but we love our oilmen. We have a few and they are an important part of what goes on here, their inside knowledge is invaluable.

I'm also really scared.

Although most of us are a bit older, many of us have children and grandkids we want to live long. We would all like to see a better, more sane and honest world.
There is so much damning evidence that our government was complicit in the 9/11 attacks, and there hasn't been, nor probably will there ever be, a legitimate investigation into how it really went down.

We have a thread for that comes up as 9/11 redux. By consensus we keep the topic there as much as possible)as it's so divisive.

I'd like to make people more aware. I try to tell my family and friends about Peak Oil, and they hear me, but they aren't really listening if you know what I mean.

There are threads on that here, we have all been through the same problem.
Rockman - What good would stocking up on Guinness do?? Everyone knows it's best out of the tap, and there won't be enough electricity in a couple decades to keep the damn kegs cold! :razz:

One of our favorite oilmen- he will know where the last cold beer in the USA is at least!

Thanks again for the welcome my bros - some interesting times lie ahead

You are most welcome- but we aren't all 'Bros' there are some women here too- watch out- some have very sharp teeth!
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Hello from the Rio Grande Rift

Unread postby highdesert » Sat 14 Sep 2013, 23:33:20

Greetings to all:

I'm a geologist who's been working in the southwest since 1980; BS from UNM (80) and MS from Mines (86).

I started off as a mineral exploration rat (any one remember Tenneco Minerals??) from Arizona to the Beaverheads in ID, then did a year at LANL doing geothermal, did my thesis as a geophysics/strat/sed/tectonic basin guy, and then moved into consulting in hydrogeology and environmental permitting/compliance.

For the last few years I have been specializing in CO2 and H2S sequestration projects, primary by designing, permitting, drilling and completing acid gas injection (AGI) wells for midstream gas plants in the Permian and San Juan basins. Recognizing, remediating and preventing hydrate formation in injection wells has also been a rewarding challenge.

I'd really like to talk with from other professionals in the O&G field who have experience in the AGI well field.

A good summary of my recent work can be found in Paper # 2 at the AGIS IV program found at http://agis.spheretechconnect.com/ or at our website at WWW.geolex.com

Thanks again
highdesert
Wood
Wood

Re: Hello from the Rio Grande Rift

Unread postby Pops » Sun 15 Sep 2013, 07:19:56

Hello, tell us a little about AGI, I understand it is being tried in the Monterey shales of CA since fracking isn't working out?
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sun 15 Sep 2013, 07:54:46

Highdesert - I know of a Permian fid with 700 million bbls of oil @ 2400. Offset folds have increased recovery from 11% to 25% with CO2 recovery. Unfortunately no excess CO2 available for my fld. I wonder if there might be a plant close enough that the economics might work for your process. I'll send details when back in the office Monday. About 100 million bbls recoverable if I can get the gas. Fld is hbp by just 60 bopd. A fat hog to split up to say the least.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby charmcitysking » Sun 15 Sep 2013, 10:48:23

I certainly meant no disrespect to the oilmen who frequent and contribute to these boards. I suppose I have a rather sordid perception of oilmen stemming from the Bush/Cheney years. Please accept my apologies; I am extremely grateful to get the chance to learn from those who know the trade best.

Oh and that is a wicked setup you got goin' PeakOiler! Got any more pics??
charmcitysking
Peat
Peat

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sun 15 Sep 2013, 11:01:40

Charm - You drink your beer cold??? Colonial animal!!!

Unfortunately I suspect your head is right where it should be. And it's not a pleasant neighborhood. Chat up your family/friends about PO if you like. But stay prepared to be ignored like the rest of us. LOL. Make your plans for life accordingly. You seem to have a clear picture of the potential future. The rest of the world is responsible for it's future...not you.

One more word of advice: start developing a taste for warm homemade brew.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sun 15 Sep 2013, 11:06:22

Quite sure it's water off a duck's back to these guys Charm :-D

Do you mean Peakoiler's Hunter S look? :lol:
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby PeakOiler » Sun 15 Sep 2013, 11:12:43

charmcitysking wrote:Oh and that is a wicked setup you got goin' PeakOiler! Got any more pics??

Actually, it's not as wicked as it should be! lol The only other solar stuff I have is a 40-gallon passive solar water heater and a 120W panel that powers a chest freezer.

I still want to install enough PV someday to power the rainwater purification assembly, but that may require over a one kW-hr array. I just haven't gotten around to doing that yet.

As far as more pics are concerned, you just have to check out the Planning for the Future forum. I've been documenting a lot of what I do around this little house there.
There’s a strange irony related to this subject [oil and gas extraction] that the better you do the job at exploiting this oil and gas, the sooner it is gone.

--Colin Campbell
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sun 15 Sep 2013, 17:28:18

Charming - didn't bother me at all. Being a petroleum geologist for 38 years it's gonna take a lot worse than that to get under my skin. But then you did manage to do just that by lumping me in with Bush/Chaney. Now you're pissing me off. They are as much "oil men" as Putin is a diplomatic peacemaker. LOL.

Trust me: there are oil men out here who are the scum of the earth...I've worked for a couple. Just as there are cops, medical professionals, priests, etc, that fall into that category. There are also honest folks in those groups with some of them being great humanitarians. Take my billionaire oil man owner for example. Has spread hundreds of $millions of his income into medical research with a focus on kid's cancer. Also very big in stem cell research.

Nothing wrong with having a bit of a pissy attitude towards the oil industry. We've had our share of buttheads (BP) that are a cause. Just need to keep that brush a tad narrower IMHO. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby sparky » Sun 15 Sep 2013, 20:46:48

I'm confused (and ignorant ) ,are we talking about sour gas injection or CO2
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Loki » Sun 15 Sep 2013, 21:55:30

charmcitysking wrote:I'm also really scared. I'm in my early twenties - I may have a good bit of time left on this earth and the thought of living on the wrong end of Hubbert's curve is a pretty terrifying one.

At your age you need to be thinking very carefully about your future income/employment options. Focus on developing as many useful, employable skills as possible. The labor market in the US and UK does not have a rosy future. I think you said you were a student, what is your major?

PO.com isn't the best place to find advice on this kind of stuff, some of the old fogies here retired last century :razz: Some of us are still groping our way through our volatile labor market, though. I've gone from historian to arborist to organic farmer in the last 10 years. And who knows what next year will bring.

If I was in my early 20s and was in university, I'd either drop out and learn a trade (farming, carpentry, etc.) or switch my major to an applied science.
Loki
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Mon 16 Sep 2013, 07:41:40

charm - And to add to Loki's sound advice:for Dog's sake don't think about becoming a geologist. Not only will the industry shrink but someone might eventually compare you to Bush.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Mon 16 Sep 2013, 07:46:11

sparky - here's the short version: Acid gas is a mixture of carbon dioxide and hydrogen sulfide, with small amounts of light hydrocarbons, which is the by-product of the process for removing these unwanted components from raw natural gas. Because companies are no longer allowed to flare excess acid gas, acid gas injection has emerged as a technology that is suitable for dealing with small amounts of unwanted acid gas. Gas injection involves the compression of the stream, transportation by pipeline to an injection well, then the fluid travels down the well and into a suitable formation.

The actually process is much more complicated than this summary indicates.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome