Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Hello Pt 5

Say hello, learn how to register, read the rules, get staff announcements.

Re: Hello from Seattle

Unread postby gnm » Tue 14 Jul 2009, 15:50:58

Optimist is Realist wrote:"As for the future, it's quite bleak."

Whatever floats your boat. Europe and America are the most advanced nations in the world. They cannot experience famine and total breakdown of rule of law. Where is the threat of war between European nations or between American states? There is none.

Oh, yeah that could never happen..... :roll: Not in advanced nations like Europe and the USA.

Famine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_famine_of_1944

War/Total breakdown of law and order http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II

-G
gnm

Unread postby Optimist is Realist » Tue 14 Jul 2009, 16:28:55

Yeah I don't like war and know that it is possible, but really, war in the US and Europe? Nah.

In Europe, defense expenditures are going down and nationalist sentiments can be kept under control though the mass media. NATO is still there.

America is the global policeman, with 50% of the world's defense budget. The two political parties agree on the basics and neither is pushing for a major war. The draft is still a no-no, and mentioning it is political suicide. We are still experiencing Pax Americana.

Right-wing militia groups are being kept under watch by the government. There is no serious movement by a state to start a civil war in America. Nuclear weapons are being dismantled. There is good reason to be optimistic about war and peace in the EU and US.
Optimist is Realist
Wood
Wood

Unread postby eXpat » Tue 14 Jul 2009, 17:34:30

Another troll, oh well...
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Ferretlover » Tue 14 Jul 2009, 18:15:55

Optimist is Realist wrote:Europe and America are the most advanced nations in the world. They cannot experience famine and total breakdown of rule of law.

What?? Where in the world did you get such a notion?
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Unread postby eastbay » Tue 14 Jul 2009, 18:24:10

Ferretlover wrote:
Optimist is Realist wrote:Europe and America are the most advanced nations in the world. They cannot experience famine and total breakdown of rule of law.

If it's true, then why is everyone in Europe and in the US stocking up on popcorn? Huh!! Tell me why! :x
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Optimist is Realist » Tue 14 Jul 2009, 19:07:12

eastbay wrote:If it's true, then why is everyone in Europe and in the US stocking up on popcorn? Huh!! Tell me why! :x

If everyone else is doing it, it must be a good idea. Don't trust me? I'll bet you my pet rock I'm right.

When I said, it cannot happen, I did not claim any prophetic powers. However,
1. America has excess food. You know what I mean.
2. America has excess housing. Think of all those three bedroom houses with den and four people.
3. America has excess cars. Think of all those cars with five seats and one people with them on the freeway.
4. Americans have excess free time. Think of the four hours of television a day, on average.

There is a HUGE buffer zone of safety in America. America also has the oldest continuous constitutional government and has the world's most powerful military.
Optimist is Realist
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Ferretlover » Tue 14 Jul 2009, 21:26:47

Optimist is Realist wrote:There is a HUGE buffer zone of safety in America. America also has the oldest continuous constitutional government and has the world's most powerful military.

You left out: one of the largest concentrations of wishful thinkers! :lol:
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Unread postby dinopello » Tue 14 Jul 2009, 21:56:06

Ferretlover wrote:
Optimist is Realist wrote:There is a HUGE buffer zone of safety in America. America also has the oldest continuous constitutional government and has the world's most powerful military.

You left out: one of the largest concentrations of wishful thinkers! :lol:

In my business, engineers are either optimists or realists. To be fair, without the optimists we would try a lot less things. But the realists are almost always correct.

Optimist, you need an Avatar...

dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby JJ » Tue 14 Jul 2009, 22:14:28

Ferretlover wrote:

Starbucks.
JJ
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby outcast » Mon 20 Jul 2009, 20:39:59

If it's true, then why is everyone in Europe and in the US stocking up on popcorn? Huh!! Tell me why! :x

Because they are anxiously awaiting Transformers 3 and Star Trek 2 to come out, duh. 8)
Another troll, oh well...

Yep, anyone who disagrees with the notion of "W3'R3 4LL F****** d00M3d" is a troll on this site.
Y2K is real. Y2K is going to rock our world.
-Kunstler

Don't respond, I'll just ignore it.
-MonteQuest
outcast
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Hello from the poor state of Illinois

Unread postby lordoverhack » Tue 21 Jul 2009, 14:25:56

This will be my third post, I found this site through "The Google" the mighty mighty google. Our future cloud overlord.

Anyway, I am not new to the theory having been taught it in school0.

elsewise, just thought I better introduce myself before posting anymore through out the site.

About me:

I work at the pizza pit.
I drive an old Hyundai
I still live with my mom and dad
I love sci-fi
have asthma
never been to second base
Last edited by lordoverhack on Tue 21 Jul 2009, 20:23:57, edited 1 time in total.
lordoverhack
Permanently Banned

Re: Hello from the poor state of Illinois

Unread postby DrBang » Tue 21 Jul 2009, 16:56:42

Hello there! Look forward to you posts.

Dr Bang
For every question , there is a lie. For every lie, there is a truth. For every truth, there is a way. And for every way, there is a time. This is the time.
DrBang
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Hello from the poor state of Illinois

Unread postby Aaron » Thu 23 Jul 2009, 06:47:28

Welcome to the site... glad to have you here.
The problem is, of course, that not only is economics bankrupt, but it has always been nothing more than politics in disguise... economics is a form of brain damage.

Hazel Henderson
Aaron
Resting in Peace

Greetings from Ontario, Canada

Unread postby Fractionator » Sun 26 Jul 2009, 14:40:13

Hello all,

New here, hailing from Ontario.

I believe that peak oIl is upon is and is soon going to produce some pretty large-scale changes in the way we live.
The way I see it, the way the developed world uses fossil fuel energy can only be described as utterly profligate. It's not likely to survive peak oil unless it starts moderating its energy demands today.

I also believe that the woes of the global auto industry are partially the result of the early phase of peak oil. After the big gasoline price ramp-ups we saw last summer, people are giving serious thought to the role cars play in their lives. More and more, people are saying no to big SUV's and driving only when necessary.

Oil prices have dropped not just because of declining global demand, but because the oil companies are moderating their price demands. They very nearly cooked the global economy for good in the last round of price spikes and don't want to make the same mistake again.

By the same token, it appears likely that once the global economy recovers, oil prices will go up again - not because of profiteering by oil companies, but because demand will continue to outstrip supply and because the easy-to-extract oil is just about gone.

My involvement in the PeakOil news and message boards is prompted by a desire to learn what I personally can do about peak oil and survive it.

By the way, if you're interested, I recently created a short video about Peak Oil and its likely effects. It's called "Peak Oil: Danger & Opportunity" and you can see it at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqJ-dMTI6sM
Fractionator
Wood
Wood

Re: Greetings from Ontario, Canada

Unread postby rocky_11 » Mon 27 Jul 2009, 00:49:59

nice video!
rocky_11
Wood
Wood

Intro

Unread postby Mansy » Mon 27 Jul 2009, 06:59:56

hi my name is Mansy and i hope that we will be friends soon.
Mansy
Wood
Wood

Re: Intro

Unread postby Ronin » Mon 27 Jul 2009, 09:16:51

hello
Your character is your destiny.
Ronin
Peat
Peat

Unread postby SpringCreekFarm » Mon 27 Jul 2009, 10:16:23

Welcome fellow Ontario dweller.
SpringCreekFarm
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Maddog78 » Mon 27 Jul 2009, 10:20:05

You acknowledge Peak Oil but then turn around and blame much on "Big Oil"?

Hmmmm.
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Intro

Unread postby dbruning » Mon 27 Jul 2009, 13:28:25

Welcome Mansy :)
dbruning
Coal
Coal

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome