Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Hello Pt 5

Say hello, learn how to register, read the rules, get staff announcements.

Re: Virgin post here

Unread postby cipi604 » Fri 15 May 2009, 19:01:05

So PO dot com is not banned in the country of the golden sun.
Welcome!
cipi604
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 15 May 2009, 19:18:35

shyienemo wrote:Make my first post here ! ok!

Nice to see u guys in PeakOil...

Welcome. Your perspective will be most interesting.
I find it ironic that I had to google Chendu to find it on a map. With over ten million people you would think that I should have at least heard of you ancient center of civilization but the gaps in my geographic education are much larger then I like to admit.
Vt snowedin
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 15 May 2009, 23:27:40

I for one welcome our new Chinese overlord.

(just joking ;) , welcome!)

Are you a Chinese national, or foreign resident of China? Either way, perspectives from China are always good!
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby shyienemo » Fri 15 May 2009, 23:42:26

Sixstrings wrote:I for one welcome our new Chinese overlord.

Are you a Chinese national, or foreign resident of China? Either way, perspectives from China are always good!

Definitely and absolutely, A CHINESE NATIONAL... lol...
My first time to be here
my first time to work in petroleum industry
and my frist time to be enrolled in a English petroleum forum.

I feel good !

Nice to see you guys.
Translation, interpretation, and field support services provided for oil and gas operators and service contractors. http://www.nemocheung.com
shyienemo
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 16 May 2009, 02:25:28

shyienemo wrote:

My first time to be here

I feel good !

Nice to see you guys.

I only asked because I know there are a couple Americans / Brits on the forum who live and work in China. So very cool to have a native Chinese on the forum.

Does anyone in China know about peak oil? Anyone concerned about it? (other than you I assume, although since you're new you may think this is an oil forum and maybe you don't know about peak oil)
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby shyienemo » Sat 16 May 2009, 21:13:24

Sixstrings wrote:
shyienemo wrote:

My first time to be here

I feel good !

Nice to see you guys.

I only asked because I know there are a couple Americans / Brits on the forum who live and work in China. So very cool to have a native Chinese on the forum.

Does anyone in China know about peak oil? Anyone concerned about it? (other than you I assume, although since you're new you may think this is an oil forum and maybe you don't know about peak oil)

I have no clue whether some other guys who know PeakOil, but I can tell you how did I find PO. I'm always trying to find out some oil stuff, so I search either Chinese or English oil forums on the internet, finally I got PO and made my virgin post here. That's good for me to start communicating here.

Erh...Yes, I did know nothing about PO when I found in Google results and when I registered and logged in, I just thought of it as a company's forum. But I know now. This is a good place, yes, very nice I have to say.
Translation, interpretation, and field support services provided for oil and gas operators and service contractors. http://www.nemocheung.com
shyienemo
Wood
Wood

Long-time lurker, first-time poster

Unread postby Katzepfote » Sun 17 May 2009, 14:08:01

I first became aware of the Peak Oil issue several years back through Matt Savinar's site and that's how I found peakoil.com. I've experienced many interesting hours reading the posts here and on other sites. So, I finally decided to take the plunge and join the ongoing discussion.

When I first discovered this topic, the economy was still going along great guns and the average person probably would have regarded you as a candidate for the nearest asylum had you told them that by the end of this decade, we'd be in the biggest financial mess since the Great Depression and gas prices would exceed $4.00 a gallon (in certain locales) for periods of time. Sometimes I had a hard time believing it myself.

I live in the greater St. Louis, MO metropolitan area. So far, our region hasn't been hit quite as hard as places like Florida, California, and Nevada in terms of the housing bubble burst and economic downturn. Our gas prices tend to be lower than in many other parts of the US though they've risen back up to over $2.00 a gallon for regular unleaded. St. Louis used to have a lot of corporate HQs at one time. Southwestern Bell moved to Texas then this "Baby Bell" was taken over again by AT&T about three decades after being carved out from it. Then TWA got gobbled up by American, McDonnell-Douglas by Boeing, May Department Stores was absorbed by Federated the parent co. of Macy's and of course, there was the recent marriage of Anheuser-Busch and In-Bev. There's a big Chrysler plant in southwest St. Louis County that's going to be sitting empty. I guess they could turn it into a mall except we're already somewhat oversaturated with them.

Although the St. Louis area is not an overpopulated behemoth (not that I'm saying that's a negative!) like New York, LA, and Chicago, it is fairly sprawling and includes the city of St. Louis proper, St. Louis County (a distinct political entity), plus the neighboring counties of St. Charles and Jefferson on the Missouri side of the Missisippi plus the "bedroom community" counties on the Illinois side of St. Clair, Madison and Monroe.

While we haven't gotten hit as hard in terms of this recession, depression, whatever you prefer to call it, I am picking up some real nervousness even from people I know who are still employed. I've heard anecdotes of layoffs on a small scale or cutbacks in hours/days worked in lieu of the former. We sometimes joke that the trends which begin on the Coasts eventually work their way to Flyover Country here after a lag time of anywhere from several months to a couple years. Although I suppose that time period could be shortened these days because of faster communications via the Internet, satellite/Cable TV.

In terms of Peak Oil awareness, I do see more hybrids on the local roads than, say, even two years ago. The big SUVs and pick-ups were less in evidence last year during the big run-up in gas prices last year although they've made a comeback of sorts as the prices fell. I imagine that a lot of people here still feel that last year was a freak and we'll never see the like again.

While the big cities in Missouri and perhaps some of the college towns can be colored "blue", or at least "purple", the rest of the state is pretty red. Cape Giradeau, about a hundred miles or so south of here is the hometown of Rush Limbaugh and Springfield to the southwest is the HQ of the Assemblies of God. The former Attorney General, John Ashcroft, also hailed from there. (Sidenote: Brad Pitt and Kathleen Turner also hail from Springfield although I'd hardly call them typical Springfielders or whatever.)

As for myself, I'm a woman, just reached the qualifying age for AARP membership a few years back, married with two stepsons and a cat. My hubby works for a local media company. I work part-time (office admin) at two different places. One is a government entity, the other is a small private manufacturer. I hesitate to be any more specific than that as I believe there is safety in anonymity and being rather generic when you discuss your employer. I will say that I can see the impacts of the bad economy on a micro scale at my two different workplaces. Certainly, at the public entity as the tax revenues slide and at the other with fuel prices. The latter uses trucks for delivering their products as well as receiving supplies. Being in a position to see invoices, I saw fuel surcharges and some of their customers can be rather slow in paying or have even turned to using credit cards instead of checks for paying us.

I can't say that I'm a "Mad Max" doomer, but there is much that is happening that certainly gives me more than a little pause when I contemplate the coming years. If there were just one or two bad things facing our planet, I'd be more optimistic though I don't think I'd ever tip over into whole hog cornucopianism. (I suppose I could be cornucopian on the micro level for myself and my family should I ever be fortunate enough to win the Power Ball lottery jackpot. Even then, I'd be careful because I think that this is not an era for flaunting one's megamillion bank account. These days, to be living the lifestyle-of-the-rich-and-famous might comparable to painting a big old bullseye on yourself for the have-somewhat-less/have-not majority to take dead aim at.) However, when you consider this laundry list: peak oil, overpopulation, extreme climate change (whether it tips to greenhouse or to new ice age), the general economic crisis, the perpetual geopolitical messes in Eurasia, etc., it looks like we're in for some very interesting times. And not interesting in a good way.

Sorry to run on but I wanted to give you some background. So I'm now a participant and am looking forward to posting here as well as hearing from the rest of you.
Katzepfote
Wood
Wood

Re: Long-time lurker, first-time poster

Unread postby Caffeine » Sun 17 May 2009, 14:21:15

Welcome. :)
Caffeine
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Schmuto » Sun 17 May 2009, 17:44:44

Katzepfote wrote:I can't say that I'm a "Mad Max" doomer,

Give it some time - you didn't believe in PO the first time you heard the words, right?

PO believers run the spectrum, with a heavy lean to the doom side.

Only a few of us see mass starvation, govt. dissolution, and so on.

The rest - they just don't want to face it yet.

:twisted:
Schmuto
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby patience » Sun 17 May 2009, 18:40:51

Katzepfote,

Welcome aboard! Hope you enjoy your presence here.

I'm one of the resident old guys, 62 and just onto SS, but keep a small repair shop business. I tend to haunt the Planning threads and Economics, being interested mostly in how to cope with what is facing us. See you there!
Local fix-it guy..
patience
Resting in Peace

Unread postby Katzepfote » Sun 17 May 2009, 20:43:25

Thanks for the kind welcome, Caffeine, Schmuto, pstarr and Patience! Also to whoever else responds while I'm typing away here.

I've been thinking about how Peak Oil has colored the way I view so many things. It's hard sometimes when you're attending to the business of daily life that this seemingly permanent oil-fueled modern world of ours could collapse into a kind of second Dark Ages. But I imagine that the people who inhabited Ancient Rome, the Aztecs, Incas, Greenlanders, pre-Katrina New Orleans, pre-earthquake Sichuan, etc. couldn't imagine that the worst-case scenario would ever really happen. Or, that if it did, it would be in some future time long after they would have died and had to deal with it directly.

I use my various household appliances and have passing thoughts of what I would do to cope if the grid ceased to function. At work, I can see how reliant we are on our computers and can imagine the panic that would ensue if they went dead. I've watched that "Life After People" show on cable and as I drive around, try to get my mind around the fact that all the signs of civilization I see around me could be gone without a trace several thousand years in the future.

In reading this site and others similar to it, I know that some think we could sink into a kind of quasi-caveman existence. However, there were ancient cultures (Egypt, Greece, Rome, Mesoamerican) that managed to build some pretty impressive civilizations that functioned for a time without fossil fuel. Granted, I don't think that a population of 6 billion+ could be sustained under those circumstances.

Even without a dieoff caused by something like a plague, war, or fights between people in a localized area over whatever resources are left, I think many could die when the modern medical infrastructure breaks down. A lot of medicines need refrigeration. No electricity = no CAT scans, X-rays, mammograms, and MRIs. No power for monitors, incubators, and heart/lung machines. And no power for the factories that manufacture all of the pharmaceuticals/vaccines and the machines and their replacement parts.

I think we could learn something by examining past cultures and how they dealt with things without fossil fuels. Yes, I know they got things wrong, but obviously if they got it all wrong, we wouldn't be here today. Plus, we do have the advantage of hindsight in being able to examine these societies from a historical standpoint. The question is could we use this knowledge to compensate for what we may lose? And to what extent? I think we could, but the new world sure as hell won't be "business as usual" and many will not make it. Some may go down kicking and screaming but I can think of many people I know that might well prefer death rather than give up the lifestyle they live now or even compromise on some aspects of it.
Katzepfote
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Narz » Sun 17 May 2009, 22:10:12

I've been to Chengdu, still got a knife I bought at a market there. :)

Welcome!
“Seek simplicity but distrust it”
Narz
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby WildRose » Mon 18 May 2009, 03:41:38

Katzepfote wrote:

I think we could learn something by examining past cultures and how they dealt with things without fossil fuels. Yes, I know they got things wrong, but obviously if they got it all wrong, we wouldn't be here today. Plus, we do have the advantage of hindsight in being able to examine these societies from a historical standpoint. The question is could we use this knowledge to compensate for what we may lose? And to what extent? I think we could, but the new world sure as hell won't be "business as usual" and many will not make it. Some may go down kicking and screaming but I can think of many people I know that might well prefer death rather than give up the lifestyle they live now or even compromise on some aspects of it.

Hi, Katzepfote, and welcome. I'm from Edmonton, Alberta and after reading your introduction I think our areas are quite similar in terms of population, sprawl and economics (not been hit as hard by the recession). Our oil industry has postponed some big projects, but I see that as a positive in that maybe we'll have the time or inclination to look at the environmental impacts more closely. The industry I work for (Alberta Health) is currently undergoing major restructuring, and I'm a bit worried about that. For the most part, though, it's still business as usual in our city, which means a lifestyle of very heavy fossil fuel use.

I have hopes for movements toward a low-carbon, sustainable community someday, a goal which many on this board think is unattainable. I like to think that there is much we can do to achieve this by following Europe's lead and listening to those who advocate powerdown solutions like eating locally, taking public transportation, living more within our communities. I think we can be very creative when we need to be. However, for the most part we don't yet have the drive to make such changes and I would guess that most people in Alberta have not imagined living with limited electricity or natural gas, which we use to heat our businesses and homes and which could be in short supply in a few years. Very challenging times lie ahead, I'm quite certain of that.

Again, welcome, and see you in the forums!

WildRose
WildRose
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby jdmartin » Mon 18 May 2009, 11:16:25

Welcome katzepfote, glad to have ye.

Couple of minor observations:

1. Don't take too much offense at some of our rougher 'round the edges posters that can be abrasive, if not downright aggravating (hey, I might fit into that mold sometimes :-D ). People are passionate about this subject, both sides, and emotions come out.

2. Post! We need fresh blood posting real-world observations. Especially in different locales.

3. I'm glad to see more women joining the board. Aside from the sausage-fest aspect, women joining the board indicates a more mainstream acceptance of the limits of society than when it's just a bunch of crazy dudes in the fortress...
After fueling up their cars, Twyman says they bowed their heads and asked God for cheaper gas.There was no immediate answer, but he says other motorists joined in and the service station owner didn't run them off.
jdmartin
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Schmuto » Mon 18 May 2009, 12:53:13

jdmartin wrote:women joining the board indicates a more mainstream acceptance of the limits of society than when it's just a bunch of crazy dudes in the fortress...

. . . not that there's anything wrong with that. :evil:
Schmuto
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby WildRose » Mon 18 May 2009, 17:18:04

pstarr wrote:Katzepfote, can you change the thread subject?

For some reason my eyes keep reading 'Long-time sucker, first-time poster'. I swear. I am not being facetious or mean. Maybe I have been here too long?

Aren't we all long-time suckers, pstarr? :razz:
WildRose
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Katzepfote » Mon 18 May 2009, 23:30:45

WildRose: your reply to Pstarr re: "long-time sucker" was almost identical to what I was going to say. :) I also enjoyed reading your comments on Edmonton. I had a cousin who once lived there and who now resides in Victoria, British Columbia. She was born in the States, but (it's a looong story) ended up in Canada and is a citizen there.

Back to the term "suckers". I think a lot of us have been suckers in the sense thaat a lot of us (at one time) bought into the high consumption lifestyle. Or because, before our eyes were opened to this issue, we've each "sucked" up our share of the dwindling petroleum supply.

jdmartin: no, I don't take offense easily and enjoy a good debate even when it gets a little "rough around the edges". While I've noted some passionate give and take here at times, it's never or rarely descended to the trite grade school level I've sometimes seen on other discussion forums. "Is not! Is too! You're dumb! Well, you're dumber! Certs is a breath mint! No, it's a candy mint!"
Katzepfote
Wood
Wood

Unread postby WildRose » Tue 19 May 2009, 21:55:58

Welcome, shyienemo!

I had the pleasure of visiting Beijing, Xi'an and Shanghai last year. My son is studying Mandarin in our Canadian city.

I would love to return to your country and see more of it, but I don't know if I will ever get there again.

I was just looking at some photos of Chengdu on the net; it looks lovely.

It's nice to have you aboard. I'll be looking forward to hearing your viewpoints.

WildRose
WildRose
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby shyienemo » Thu 21 May 2009, 01:44:19

Narz wrote:I've been to Chengdu, still got a knife I bought at a market there. :)

Welcome!

That was so great.
You just bought a knife? How about HOTPOT here. You never missed it, did you?

Anyway, welcome to Chengdu again. I'll be here and show you around this wonderful city.
shyienemo
Wood
Wood

Unread postby shyienemo » Thu 21 May 2009, 01:52:07

WildRose wrote:Welcome, shyienemo!

I had the pleasure of visiting Beijing, Xi'an and Shanghai last year. My son is studying Mandarin in our Canadian city.

I would love to return to your country and see more of it, but I don't know if I will ever get there again.

I was just looking at some photos of Chengdu on the net; it looks lovely.

It's nice to have you aboard. I'll be looking forward to hearing your viewpoints.

WildRose

WildRose,
You visited more cities in China than I did.
I always stay in Chengdu and cities of Sichuan province.
Any time you wanna come back either visiting or working, I just warmly welcome you. If you're trying to get your son a faster schedule on Mandarin, tell me what I can do and I will be very happy to do everything I can.
If you like the city of Chengdu and want to see some pictures of any places, just tell me, I may go there and take pictures for you. That's ok for me.
shyienemo
Wood
Wood

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome