Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Happy Talk

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Happy Talk

Unread postby theluckycountry » Thu 06 Jul 2023, 06:49:23

You would think so. The medical industrial complex is so inefficient.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 09 Jul 2023, 18:23:17

Finally, after many days, got to our summer abode.

Feels good to be in our own place again.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 31 Aug 2023, 19:32:28

We have had a good summer and we have another month here. Had some disappointments but such is life. Had some good times also.

Out berry picking the other day and stumbled upon 2 caribou. They were pretty tame and we got a good look. First time we have seen that.

Built a new stoop, put in a ramp so my Sister and Aunt (98) can use the place more. Doing some minor yard work. Got the boat around. That has been a bit of a pain.

But we are healthy and that is a blessing.

Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby theluckycountry » Thu 31 Aug 2023, 21:39:22

Looks good newfie.

I have gotten over my vegetable gardening phase and just grow herbs and chilli. Lots of good local food available and I buy that at various outlets. I'm redoing the gardens into ornamental ground covers, citronella is a favorite as the bugs hate it and stay well clear. I have also been progressing with my hobbies, I bought a new telescope to augment my other larger one, which I rarely take out in the field now because of the lengthy setup process. I'll get back into it one day but all the accessories swap back and forth so that makes it easier with the little one.

A lot of the cost in amateur astronomy is the eyepieces you use, or the camera gear if you go down that rabbit hole, which I didn't! I will use this smaller one for terrestrial viewing too and might add an adapter for my digital camera for it, though that's a simple arrangement compared to the dramas involved in getting decent astrographs. Capturing birds etc is a real pleasure but you need high powere telephoto lenses. I have one, a 600mm equivalent but even that doesn't allow you to get all that close. A 4" (100mm) reflector is my new scope, it's slow, f14, but in bright light that won't be an issue. It will give me a ton of magnification though which means I can sit in one spot and prowl the trees over a large area. There is something uniquely exciting about looking naked eye through a big scope at things a long way off. You get a sense of "being there" that you just don't get with a picture or video.

I've also been restoring a lot of old tools I've picked up over the years. Bolt cutters, screwdrivers, adjustable squares, that sort of thing. Rusty old gear that's of good make and deserves a second life. I typically clean them up on a wire wheel then in a rust-converter bath. If you've ever seen those drill bits with the bronze tips I achieve that on tools by scrubbing them with a small brass wire brush when they are wet with the rust converter acid. The acid strips the metal off the brush and deposits on the tool much like anodizing. A very cool and hardy finish and easy to retouch if scratched off.

I've always had a fetish for restoration, be it old furniture or tools or cars, even simply polishing brass gives me a sense of satisfaction. There is not much around here that isn't shiny and rust free.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 01 Sep 2023, 05:51:23

Have 2 steel boats I am waaay to familiar with rust converter. LOL

I admire your patience for bird photography. :shock:
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 16 Sep 2023, 17:53:12

Too nice an evening to argue.Image
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby AgentR11 » Sat 16 Sep 2023, 18:14:14

We're finally getting rain again, no pics, but its nice seeing water falling from the sky once again. Summer drought killed a bunch of hardwoods on our street, but spared mine (I did water though).
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sat 16 Sep 2023, 18:59:36

AgentR11 wrote:We're finally getting rain again, no pics, but its nice seeing water falling from the sky once again. Summer drought killed a bunch of hardwoods on our street, but spared mine (I did water though).

Yes it's terrible to see trees die of thirst. I keep mine watered and the shrubs especially, even large sections of the lawn. I get a heads up when I see a few branches dying and give those trees a good dose. It's great to have town water, we have our own dam not far away and as long as the electricity is working the taps are working. The price isn't too bad either, I chewed through 35,000 liters last quarter and it was only $150. They charge more than that as service fees, and because a lot of people cut back on water usage, the trend is to increase the "unavoidable" service fees while keeping the water usage charge pretty static.

I think 5 or 6 hundred a year for beautiful gardens is worth it, I know people who spend that much on coffee and cake a year in the overpriced shops in town! Then they come home to a desiccated yard? I figure if they had a lovely yard they might prefer to make their own coffee and enjoy it sitting on the deck overlooking the greenery, I do. Each to his own hey.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 17 Sep 2023, 07:36:07

Interesting what one can do.

We have used a little Air B&B in Antigua. This lady bought a plot, maybe 0.15 hectare, built her house and several rental cottages. It is arranged around a central courtyard. The wholesale is heavily planted with palms and a few trees. She has been there under 20 years. It is a calm, cool space with birds and lizards.

Stepping outside the compound the surrounding lots are at best semi-arid scrub. Bleak and foreboding.

She has created a little oasis that seems to be rather self supporting. I saw no signs of her watering although she must do at least some.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 17 Sep 2023, 14:09:20

AgentR11 wrote:We're finally getting rain again, no pics, but its nice seeing water falling from the sky once again. Summer drought killed a bunch of hardwoods on our street, but spared mine (I did water though).

We had the opposite in NW Ohio this year, our August rainfall is in the top 10 for that month since they started keeping official records in the 1870's.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 17 Sep 2023, 15:51:03

We had the hottest July and the hottest August on record up here in central Alaska.

Now we are into mid-September and we haven't had a frost yet which is unheard of up here.

My little garden of peppers, lettuce, onions, and tomatoes did really great and my roses are very confused and still putting out roses.

University is back in session and yesterday we held an END FOSSIL FUEL protest march in our little town.

It was good to see some old friends, but only about 20 people turned out for the protest.

And we got some very puzzled looks from people as we marched through town chanting "END FOSSIL FUELS NOW" and "KEEP ALASKA COLD".

On the bright side the big demonstration to END FOSSIL FUELS is happening right now in New York City and it's a really good sized protest march. A few of our protestors are in New York for the big march there, and if they were here we might've gotten up to 25 people or so for our protest here.

END FOSSIL FUELS protest happening in New York City

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sun 17 Sep 2023, 19:23:04

Plantagenet wrote:We had the hottest July and the hottest August on record up here in central Alaska.

Now we are into mid-September and we haven't had a frost yet which is unheard of up here.

How are the bugs going? I read somewhere that warmer climes can create more bugs? Interestingly it's been the opposite down here, in the warmer months there are a lot less mosquitos and flies, I just can't figure it out? And they aren't spraying anymore than usual, hardly at all these days.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 19 Sep 2023, 18:17:17

Plant,

I would be much happier to see them chanting
Reduce
Reuse
Recycle
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby theluckycountry » Mon 25 Sep 2023, 18:32:58

We'll get there won't we boys, only a matter of time, KEEP THE dREAM ALIVE

And one for careinki :P

One for Tanada

après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 29 Sep 2023, 08:46:18

Anyone here remember a VERY old Sean Connery movie - Zardov?

It is an interesting hoot.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sat 30 Sep 2023, 04:07:41

Newfie wrote:Anyone here remember a VERY old Sean Connery movie - Zardov?

It is an interesting hoot.

"The gun is good! And the Penis is evil" lol.
In the public domain now https://archive.org/details/zardoz-1974_202201

What a classic, thanks Newfie

Reviewer: SepulaJonas -
Subject: An excellent film for all the family!
This is an excellent film for all the family, especially if all of them have at least a Ph.D. in Prosocratic Philosophy or are just visitors to this planet. As a fellow of mine said once: what a crap!
Not at all. You just need at least 70 books on Philosophy as well as free time to understand this story.
This film is not suggested for normal audiences. I still try to figure out how to get of this room but there is no door and I have only this computer to write. Don't save me, save yourself.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Tue 14 Nov 2023, 01:50:53

Im waiting for the wet to begin before re-booting the garden
Just filling in the gaps now
Surprised Ive been away for 2 months and theres been no rain but nearly everything is alive
Even the bay tree in a pot
Im heading out to replant all the herbs in the next few days,I wont veg up until theres a bit of rain coming.
Ive reduced the veg to tomatoes,beans,chillies, bell peppers,egg plants, wild rocket,kos lettuce.sweet potatoes and parsley mainly.
I also grow Chinese Broccoli and Kangkong as they like the wet season and are chop and come again.

Fine tuned the diet down to a mix of mainly Mediterranean and Asian...need green for salads and stirfrys with a bit of variety

Will also do some landscaping,Ive got a few paths to fine tune and a couple of stone steps to make....might wait for the weather too cool off in March for that
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Wed 15 Nov 2023, 05:51:24

Shaved Monkey wrote:I'm waiting for the wet to begin before re-booting the garden
Just filling in the gaps now ...Fine tuned the diet down to a mix of mainly Mediterranean and Asian...need green for salads and stirfrys with a bit of variety

Will also do some landscaping,Ive got a few paths to fine tune and a couple of stone steps to make....might wait for the weather too cool off in March for that

Sounds idyllic SM. Especially the pathways and steps, I would love to have made something like that but my town block is really not big enough. I spend most of my time on machines, like this arvo, stripping stuff off my sports bike to fit a new camchain. I have lots of excellent garden tools though, Gas powered ones and old style manual stuff, like a variety of shovels and mattocks etc. I have a herb "garden" about the size of an auto and like watering it but all the parsley and mint and spring onions typically just end up tossed back into the soil. I like the idea of eating it but never seem to get it together.

The chilli bushes are another matter, I have lots of them everywhere, the long mild variety you can munch straight off the bush. Your diet sounds excellent, much better than mine, but I do eat a lot of chilli (king of herbs) and Garlic (Queen of herbs). I also eat raw apricot kernels as a cancer preventative. Do you exercise aerobically much? I regard exercise as one of the keys to good health and longevity. Even the corrupt doctors agree on that.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Thu 16 Nov 2023, 20:47:31

My block is a town block too a very steep one on top of a very steep hill
Which kills my Achilles tendon, so we have to drive to the beach a few minutes away to walk on the flat beach.
I was doing 10 to 15 thousand steps when on holiday, lucky to do 5000 on the hill. (lucky I spent 3 months on holiday just to up my steps average for the year)
Part of the plan this year is to set up a gym in a spare room and go on more holidays.

Got the herbs in today,thyme, sage, parsley, oregano, marjoram and basil...Couldnt find any summer savoury or saw tooth coriander ...so got some seeds on ebay along with some kang kong and gailan

I use heaps of parsley,I have a chickpea tabouleh salad at least once a week so theres a good handful there
It goes into nearly every dish along side the fried garlic or at the end
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Fri 17 Nov 2023, 23:42:17

Shaved Monkey wrote:My block is a town block too a very steep one ...I was doing 10 to 15 thousand steps when on holiday, lucky to do 5000 on the hill. (lucky I spent 3 months on holiday just to up my steps average for the year)
Part of the plan this year is to set up a gym in a spare room and go on more holidays.

That's insane! I'm an avid cyclist but that activity is useless to condition you to climbing hills I discovered. Good luck finding a way to condition yourself, aside from climbing. Stretches perhaps?
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Peak Oil Discussion