Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Happy Talk

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Happy Talk

Unread postby JuanP » Wed 13 Jul 2022, 17:44:03

AdamB wrote:
JuanP wrote:I would also love for the Malvinas Islands to be returned to their rightful owners, the Argentinians.

SO...folks who voted like 99%+ to be Brits a decade ago, should be disenfranchised because......? Self determination is 'MURICAN!!!! And you JuanP are now 'MURICAN!!! Grow a pair! Feel your exceptionalism!!! Throw your weight around a little, you are allowed, you aren't only the citizen of a country that could be knocked off by 20 well armed Argentinians anymore!! Allow people who want to be free Brits be free Brits! Or subjects to the Crown or whatever, but it is their choice.

They can be free Brits in Britain, the land from which their thieving ancestors came from! :lol:
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 13 Jul 2022, 17:55:49

Doly wrote:
SO...folks who voted like 99%+ to be Brits a decade ago, should be disenfranchised because......?

They live right next to Argentina, and realistically, do you think the Brits are going to defend them again when they're so busy with bigger problems?

Is that even relevant when the people of the Falklands have made it quite clear they are...Brits? You are arguing that Americans shouldn't live in Europe because they aren't backed up by the 82nd Airborne should the locals decide to screw with them in a bar? 8O

Doly wrote:You don't get governed by the people you want, you get governed by the people with the local bigger guns that want your territory.

I get brute force, after all, I live in America. But the Argentinians already tried this, and got their butts kicked because while the Brits ain't what they used to be, they certainly aren't South American puppet militaries.

Doly wrote:If you have any doubts whatsoever about this, ask any North Korean, Ukrainian, Palestinian... I could go on, but I hope you get the idea by now.

About what, are you claiming all those folks suddenly decided to identify with another country, voted to leave, and then....? North Korea is a family run dictatorship and the folks aren't allowed to leave, Ukraine is just a reasonable eastern European country wanting the local bully to leave them alone, and Palestinians aren't a country, they are mostly a gang of folks living inside of Israel, or in the world's largest open air prison in Gaza. Two different lessons learned from the passage of UN Resolution 181. One of them led to the state of Israel, those who didn't vote for the resolution decided to fight it out. I recommend not fighting it out unless you really plan on winning, because when you don't, you don't get to whine about it later without having the label of sore loser attached.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 13 Jul 2022, 18:00:26

JuanP wrote:
AdamB wrote:
JuanP wrote:I would also love for the Malvinas Islands to be returned to their rightful owners, the Argentinians.

SO...folks who voted like 99%+ to be Brits a decade ago, should be disenfranchised because......? Self determination is 'MURICAN!!!! And you JuanP are now 'MURICAN!!! Grow a pair! Feel your exceptionalism!!! Throw your weight around a little, you are allowed, you aren't only the citizen of a country that could be knocked off by 20 well armed Argentinians anymore!! Allow people who want to be free Brits be free Brits! Or subjects to the Crown or whatever, but it is their choice.

They can be free Brits in Britain, the land from which their thieving ancestors came from! :lol:

Except that they didn't vote to be free Brits in Britain, they voted to be free Brits ruled by those other Brits in the place they had been living for quite some time. Under Doly's theory, if Argentina wants to try and murder those free Brits and install Argentinians, they can take another crack at it and see if they get their butts handed to them again. The good ol' fashion way! Really though, you think they have a itching desire to be made to look like a south American banana republic? Again?
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 16 Jul 2022, 01:38:54

After six weeks of heats and sun and fires and smoke It's finally raining......Its been raining for a day and I see more rain in the forecast.

The temperature has dropped 20 degrees in the last two days here in central Alaska and in northern Alaska they had heavy snow in the Brooks Range.

The thick smoke that filled every valley for hundreds of miles around me is completely gone.

Fire activity has dropped dramatically. Evacuation orders around the fire perimeters are being rescinded. Fire fighters are being sent home.

And just like that the wildfire emergency in Alaska is over.

Alaska is now on the road to fall and everything is beautiful again.
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 16 Jul 2022, 04:49:03

After 2 years of Covid restrictions we have finally made it to our summer cabin in Newfoundland, safe and sound. The place is well but over run by wild roses. Can’t pull into the drive.

Good to be back.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby JuanP » Sat 16 Jul 2022, 07:52:20

I am happy for both of you, Plantagenet and Newfie! :-D
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby C8 » Sat 16 Jul 2022, 14:44:13

Plantagenet wrote:After six weeks of heats and sun and fires and smoke It's finally raining......Its been raining for a day and I see more rain in the forecast.

The temperature has dropped 20 degrees in the last two days here in central Alaska and in northern Alaska they had heavy snow in the Brooks Range.

The thick smoke that filled every valley for hundreds of miles around me is completely gone.

Fire activity has dropped dramatically. Evacuation orders around the fire perimeters are being rescinded. Fire fighters are being sent home.

And just like that the wildfire emergency in Alaska is over.

Alaska is now on the road to fall and everything is beautiful again.

With so much ground cover lost and so much rain forecast isn't there a fear of flooding?
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Doly » Sat 16 Jul 2022, 15:10:31

You are arguing that Americans shouldn't live in Europe because they aren't backed up by the 82nd Airborne should the locals decide to screw with them in a bar?

I'm not saying anything about where people should or shouldn't live, that's for them to decide. But xenophobia is a very real thing, I've experienced it myself many times, and of course you should take it into account when choosing where to live. You may decide that the risk of having neighbors that don't like you is worth it, because you like the place that much. Or you may be the sort of person that doesn't have any place you can call home, in which case you have to make do with whatever looks like your best option for a place to live.

I recommend not fighting it out unless you really plan on winning, because when you don't, you don't get to whine about it later without having the label of sore loser attached.

Yes, obviously. But most countries that decide to fight out something plan on winning. And just as obviously, a lot of them aren't right in their expectations.

Really though, you think they have a itching desire to be made to look like a south American banana republic? Again?

I have no idea what the plans of the Argentinian government are in respect to the Malvinas. But considering how many governments are looking like banana republics these days, I don't think they are too worried about keeping a good reputation.
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 16 Jul 2022, 20:03:06

Doly wrote:
You are arguing that Americans shouldn't live in Europe because they aren't backed up by the 82nd Airborne should the locals decide to screw with them in a bar?

I'm not saying anything about where people should or shouldn't live, that's for them to decide.

Okay, I agree with that. And thanks for backing up my point to JuanP that if the Falkland Islanders want to stay British, and continue to be Falklander Islanders, they have decided where they want to live.

Doly wrote: But xenophobia is a very real thing, I've experienced it myself many times, and of course you should take it into account when choosing where to live. You may decide that the risk of having neighbors that don't like you is worth it, because you like the place that much. Or you may be the sort of person that doesn't have any place you can call home, in which case you have to make do with whatever looks like your best option for a place to live.

Reasonable. The same would go for living in backwoods America, having moved there from San Fran. Not sure that's xenphobia as much as two different species of humans altogether, rather than run of the mill Western European/African bias, or North American/Mexican/Central/South American bias.

Doly wrote:
I recommend not fighting it out unless you really plan on winning, because when you don't, you don't get to whine about it later without having the label of sore loser attached.

Yes, obviously. But most countries that decide to fight out something plan on winning. And just as obviously, a lot of them aren't right in their expectations.

Funny how no one seems to figure this out BEFORE honestly examining their chances in advance, and just skipping all the death and destruction and surrendering early.

Doly wrote:
Really though, you think they have a itching desire to be made to look like a south American banana republic? Again?

I have no idea what the plans of the Argentinian government are in respect to the Malvinas. But considering how many governments are looking like banana republics these days, I don't think they are too worried about keeping a good reputation.

Well, I'm guessing that a marketing campaign for foreigners to pretend the name of the Falkland Islands aren't what the occupants and national identity call it is better than nothing?

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sun 17 Jul 2022, 16:58:38

Doly wrote:I have no idea what the plans of the Argentinian government are in respect to the Malvinas. But considering how many governments are looking like banana republics these days, I don't think they are too worried about keeping a good reputation.

In the news,

Tuesday, April 12th 2022 -

Falklands oil company shares skyrocket following extension of license
Argos Resources shares have risen 92% since the beginning of 2022...

In a brief release the company said the Falkland Islands based exploration company focused on the North Falkland Basin...

A 3D seismic survey has been acquired over the entire license area. The quality of the seismic data acquired is excellent and has led to the identification of 52 prospects and 40 leads within the license area.

An independent Competent Person's Report attributes to these prospects a total unrisked potential of 3.1 billion barrels of prospective recoverable resource in the most likely case and up to 10.4 billion barrels in the upside case.

The license area is immediately adjacent to the giant Sea Lion oil discovery which contains over 500 million barrels of recoverable resource. A decision to proceed with the development of the Sea Lion field is pending.

https://en.mercopress.com/2022/04/12/fa ... of-license
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby mousepad » Sun 17 Jul 2022, 19:31:36

JuanP wrote:Do you think that I don't know that? I have been a US taxpayer for over 32 years,

I thought you don't work, but volunteer in some garden project for the poor?
No income means no taxes but financial assistance from the government. Is that how you pay the property tax on your multi-million dollar beach front house in Miami? Claiming low income and mooching from actual tax payers?
Are you collecting food stamps, too?

I also legally renounced several foreign sources of income

good choice. Otherwise your mooching would end.

I can choose to renounce my US Citizenship whenever I want. The cost is around $5,000.

No you can't. Otherwise you will loose your social security benefits. And that was your claimed reason to become a citizen of your so much hated US in the first place. Pathetic.

You are very funny

Thanks.
and completely full of s@#t! :lol:

Maybe, but at least I'm not a pathological lair.
mousepad
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 18 Jul 2022, 09:32:08

JuanP wrote:
mousepad wrote:
JuanP wrote:You are very funny

Thanks.
and completely full of s@#t! :lol:

Maybe, but at least I'm not a pathological lair.

Ouch!

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Doly » Mon 18 Jul 2022, 15:11:32

And thanks for backing up my point to JuanP that if the Falkland Islanders want to stay British, and continue to be Falklander Islanders, they have decided where they want to live.

Maybe they haven't. Those people who aren't clear in their mind whether it's more important for them to live in a territory controlled by Great Britain, or in the Falkland Islands, maybe haven't made a decision yet on where they want to live. It depends on whether the Falkland Islands continue to be controlled by Great Britain or not. The same as it happened with Brexit: some people living in the UK had to decide whether they would rather live in the EU or the UK, when before, they didn't have to make that decision because they could be living in both.

Not sure that's xenphobia as much as two different species of humans altogether, rather than run of the mill Western European/African bias, or North American/Mexican/Central/South American bias.

I'd love to know how you decide that a difference between two groups of humans amounts to a different species.

Funny how no one seems to figure this out BEFORE honestly examining their chances in advance, and just skipping all the death and destruction and surrendering early.

I think the essential problem is that people often don't know how they will react to a situation they have never encountered before personally. They may try their best to understand by paying attention to other people that were in similar situations, but imagining something is a different thing from living it first-hand. When I've read about the subject, it's clear that in countries before a war most people have a completely incorrect idea of what war could be like.

Well, I'm guessing that a marketing campaign for foreigners to pretend the name of the Falkland Islands aren't what the occupants and national identity call it is better than nothing?

My choice of name doesn't have to do with the Argentinian preference, it has to do with my personal preference. I'm a native Spanish speaker, and that's why I have a preference for English speakers to be aware of the Spanish-speaking world angle.
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 19 Jul 2022, 00:26:03

Doly wrote:
And thanks for backing up my point to JuanP that if the Falkland Islanders want to stay British, and continue to be Falklander Islanders, they have decided where they want to live.

Maybe they haven't.

99%+ voted for just that...so...no....they have.

And that place is called the Falkland Islands.

Doly wrote:
Not sure that's xenphobia as much as two different species of humans altogether, rather than run of the mill Western European/African bias, or North American/Mexican/Central/South American bias.

I'd love to know how you decide that a difference between two groups of humans amounts to a different species.

Well, I have heard it argued that if we applied the same level of species differentiation to humans that we apply to other species, that skin color itself would have us as different species. Not sure I believed it, but their examples for how minutia had been used to sub-divide species in other categories made sense, and who am I to argue with biologists?

Doly wrote:

I think the essential problem is that people often don't know how they will react to a situation they have never encountered before personally. They may try their best to understand by paying attention to other people that were in similar situations, but imagining something is a different thing from living it first-hand. When I've read about the subject, it's clear that in countries before a war most people have a completely incorrect idea of what war could be like.

Seems as reasonable an explanation as any other I've heard. Wild optimism, bad intelligience, incompetence in leadership, they all are likely as well.

Doly wrote:

My choice of name doesn't have to do with the Argentinian preference, it has to do with my personal preference. I'm a native Spanish speaker, and that's why I have a preference for English speakers to be aware of the Spanish-speaking world angle.

Well, appropriate if we were communicating in Spanish I suppose. But we aren't. Do you think the Falkland Islanders voted for the Falkland Islands to be Brit, or Malvinas, when it was printed there in front of them on the ballot? :)

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 19 Jul 2022, 05:12:42

Happy Talk thread folks.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby careinke » Wed 20 Jul 2022, 21:25:45

Spent a wonderful 48th Anniversary with my one and only bride. Started with a morning walk on our beach looking for agates. Then went into town to watch "Where the crawdads sing", which we both thoroughly enjoyed, checked out two parks neither of us have been to before (we have our own beach). Finally had a nice supper at the local airport watching small planes and rich peoples jets take off and land. The food was amazing.

Now for a sunset walk on our beach.

Peace
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Wed 20 Jul 2022, 23:47:14

Its still raining in the dry season
I had to move my top tank in from the boundary and didnt expect to be able to start re filling it before the wet season,its one 1/4 full in the middle of the "dry" season now. and theres a few days of heavy rain to come
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby C8 » Thu 21 Jul 2022, 00:02:20

careinke wrote:Spent a wonderful 48th Anniversary with my one and only bride. Started with a morning walk on our beach looking for agates. Then went into town to watch "Where the crawdads sing", which we both thoroughly enjoyed, checked out two parks neither of us have been to before (we have our own beach). Finally had a nice supper at the local airport watching small planes and rich peoples jets take off and land. The food was amazing.

Peace

Congratulations- there is nothing that can substitute for a long committed relationship with one person. The experience of this can only be achieved by years of dedication and there are no short cuts.
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby C8 » Thu 21 Jul 2022, 00:04:31

Shaved Monkey wrote:Its still raining in the dry season
I had to move my top tank in from the boundary and didnt expect to be able to start re filling it before the wet season,its one 1/4 full in the middle of the "dry" season now. and theres a few days of heavy rain to come

Shaved Monkey wrote:Its still raining in the dry season

Where is it approximately that you live?
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 21 Jul 2022, 19:57:59

C8 wrote:
careinke wrote:Spent a wonderful 48th Anniversary with my one and only bride. Started with a morning walk on our beach looking for agates. Then went into town to watch "Where the crawdads sing", which we both thoroughly enjoyed, checked out two parks neither of us have been to before (we have our own beach). Finally had a nice supper at the local airport watching small planes and rich peoples jets take off and land. The food was amazing.

Peace

Congratulations- there is nothing that can substitute for a long committed relationship with one person. The experience of this can only be achieved by years of dedication and there are no short cuts.

Agreed. I have nearly the same years over 2 marriages. One was hell on Earth.

My current marriage had its tough spots which we worked through, barely. But we did work through, and work it was. The results have been well worth the effort. We are happy together, satisfied. It is a wonderful feeling.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Peak Oil Discussion