Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Guy McPherson Pt. 2

Re: Guy McPherson Pt. 2

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 09 Mar 2022, 11:31:18

suxs wrote:We are a sick species hellbent on blowing up the Earth. Before we transform the Earth into a lifeless husk, we will be exterminated having been determined a failed species. This I promise you.

Oh, no one argues that mankind is a pestilence on the earth. Smoke'im while you got'im, and hopefully ease out of the game in our sleep one evening.

Folks seem to get all WORRIED about it and everything, I think because they can't handle their personal demise is why they come to DOOM in the first place, they can at least talk about our collective mortality there, even if they can't face the personal version. Doom psychology has always been more interesting than pointing out what they don't know about industry history, the geosciences and economics.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 09 Mar 2022, 11:34:33

theluckycountry wrote:
suxs wrote:
Before we transform the Earth into a lifeless husk, we will be exterminated having been determined a failed species. This I promise you.

Did you see that interview with the cripple, just before he died.
" we have just 100 years to become an interplanetary species or mankind will ultimately meet its maker."
That's what passes for wisdom from the preeminent physicist of our times. Me thinks he only got press because he was drooling in a wheelchair, you have to appease the minorities don't you.

Come on unluckycountry, the more you lean into random racism, handicap hating xenophobic misogynistic claptrap the sooner you'll get outed as a sock puppet to another username that seems to only focus on such social nonsense.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby suxs » Wed 09 Mar 2022, 12:33:28

I think because they can't handle their personal demise is why they come to DOOM

Your brain and mine are wired differently. Perhaps your perspective is true for that percent of the population who shares the same brain chemistry. The difference is I am filled with a deep sense of sadness and guilt; however, I won't allow myself to wallow in pity. For example, I wrote a personal check to buy and protect in perpetuity 50% of 11,000 acres of nesting and feeding habitat in Colombia, as part of a matching gift campaign, for a parrot species on the precipice of extinction. Like-minded people from around the world responded with generous donations such that within two weeks all of the funding was in place.

None of this is even remotely connected to my inability to cope with death. I dealt with that subject on a personal level decades ago in the US Army.
suxs
Peat
Peat

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 09 Mar 2022, 12:56:49

suxs wrote:
I think because they can't handle their personal demise is why they come to DOOM

Your brain and mine are wired differently.

Agreed. And this applies to everyone, each of us being but special snowflakes in the teeming masses that are humanity.

suxs wrote: Perhaps your perspective is true for that percent of the population who shares the same brain chemistry.

Does brain chemistry really explain the differences between us special snowflakes, as compared to say...our formative years in our youth, our personal philosophies, our upbringing and the tribe/culture/country we were raised in? Seems like the nuture/nature argument is fought because it hasn't been settled yet.

suxs wrote:The difference is I am filled with a deep sense of sadness and guilt; however, I won't allow myself to wallow in pity. For example, I wrote a personal check to buy and protect in perpetuity 50% of 11,000 acres of nesting and feeding habitat in Colombia, as part of a matching gift campaign, for a parrot species on the precipice of extinction. Like-minded people from around the world responded with generous donations such that within two weeks all of the funding was in place.

This is a wonderful thing you describe, to think about and to participate in the saving of. Let me set up a reasonable reflection. I am not filled with sadness or guilt over the collective will of our species, to grow and infect and despoil our beautiful blue world. I am filled with joy over the treasure that is life, the feelings and sounds and experiences within it, even as my species decides that polluting the biosphere past the point of no return is an acceptable cost to their desired lifestyles.

I am disappointed with my species, for not understanding that our despoiling our world will ultimately limit others of my species to feel the way I do, as our circumstances slowly change for the worse. But my disappointment has nothing to do with our species collective decisions, we vote everyday with our actions, and have elected through them our course.

suxs wrote:None of this is even remotely connected to my inability to cope with death. I dealt with that subject on a personal level decades ago in the US Army.

Good for you. And I had my own Come To Jesus experiences long ago, without military service being involved. I imagine many of us do. And as with all pychological impairments and conditions, there are no absolutes, only probabilities. I've been able to discuss doom with hundreds if not a thousand or more folks heading into 2 decades now, across many websites and sometimes in person, and the correlation between those talking about doom, but absolutely refusing to participate in answering any question resembling "gee, you're old and gonna die, why does any of this bother you happening 5 years after your gone" is substantial. They rail and carry on about doom...it never leaves their minds...they can't put it down....it won't go away...and I maintain that the correlation between falling heavily for one while not being able to discuss the other is a tell. Not an absolute answer. But certainly a tell. Have you noticed how most McDoomsters tend to be older? The remnants of peak oil doom, as represented by this website, are there ANY younglings around anymore? Or just primarily white, well off First Worlder males, in their later years, BSing around topics that aren't even oily anymore because BOY did that one not work out as planned. But still thinking down the road, and old enough now that other than our feelings for those we leave behind, we might not even be involved the doom Rapture event. Which is the thing Doom most closely appears to psychologically resemble, but secular.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Doly » Sun 13 Mar 2022, 17:32:38

Does brain chemistry really explain the differences between us special snowflakes, as compared to say...our formative years in our youth, our personal philosophies, our upbringing and the tribe/culture/country we were raised in? Seems like the nuture/nature argument is fought because it hasn't been settled yet.

Interesting philosophical argument, but if there is a war going on, are you really interested in discussing philosophical arguments, or rather in working out what is the best thing for you to do during the war?

The remnants of peak oil doom, as represented by this website, are there ANY younglings around anymore? Or just primarily white, well off First Worlder males, in their later years, BSing around topics that aren't even oily anymore because BOY did that one not work out as planned.

Does middle-aged count as youngling enough for you? In that case, I'm a youngling. And "white, well off First Worldler male" doesn't describe me, either.

As for discussing oily subjects, I'm politely waiting for people here to start discussing current events as oil geopolitics. It's fairly clear that most people don't feel ready for that discussion just yet.
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 13 Mar 2022, 20:15:56

Doly wrote:
The remnants of peak oil doom, as represented by this website, are there ANY younglings around anymore? Or just primarily white, well off First Worlder males, in their later years, BSing around topics that aren't even oily anymore because BOY did that one not work out as planned.

Does middle-aged count as youngling enough for you? In that case, I'm a youngling. And "white, well off First Worldler male" doesn't describe me, either.

Have you noticed that there don't appear to be as many females here as in the population at large? We can speculate on the statistical skew from the mean I suppose? I did not make an all inclusive statement, prefacing it with "primarily". As far as age, middle aged and mature probably doesn't count as youngling. But middle aged and dumb as a stump, I'd probably throw them into the youngling category on general principles.

Doly wrote:
As for discussing oily subjects, I'm politely waiting for people here to start discussing current events as oil geopolitics. It's fairly clear that most people don't feel ready for that discussion just yet.

I agree. But we should be, not in the scarcity context, but indeed when it comes to geopolitcs in general. It is going to be quite interesting to see how the world reacts to faux-scarcity caused by politics. Sort of like the 1979 global peak, that was at the end of a bad geopolitical decade, and it kept going until supply/demand picture did the expected. But that was still like 15 years of upheaval, I don't see this one going on that long, or ending for quite the same reasons.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Doly » Tue 15 Mar 2022, 15:47:05

Have you noticed that there don't appear to be as many females here as in the population at large? We can speculate on the statistical skew from the mean I suppose?

Since people use nicks here, I'm not entirely sure about the male/female ratio here, but I agree with you there seem to be more males than females. Similar to most technical environments, where I have noticed that there aren't a lot of females. I have wondered why, but I never came up with any good answers. I'd love to meet more women techies.

It is going to be quite interesting to see how the world reacts to faux-scarcity caused by politics. Sort of like the 1979 global peak, that was at the end of a bad geopolitical decade, and it kept going until supply/demand picture did the expected.

You mean, it kept going till people started doing oil rigs in the gulf of Mexico and extracted oil that was harder to extract from places that were harder to get at? True. But at some point demand won't be able to conjure up any more supply.
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 15 Mar 2022, 17:13:58

Doly wrote:
It is going to be quite interesting to see how the world reacts to faux-scarcity caused by politics. Sort of like the 1979 global peak, that was at the end of a bad geopolitical decade, and it kept going until supply/demand picture did the expected.

You mean, it kept going till people started doing oil rigs in the gulf of Mexico and extracted oil that was harder to extract from places that were harder to get at? True. But at some point demand won't be able to conjure up any more supply.

There have been 6 or 7 cycles of "ever harder to get at oil" since the beginning of the 20th century. The ability to develop oil from offshore platforms is like, #5 or so of the century. Starting with January of 1901 and use of the rotary table to overcome natural disadvantages of a spudding beam and cable tools, seismic, horizontal drilling and follow on MWD, hydraulic fracturing pre and post use in horizontal wells, secondary recovery and tertiary recovery methods, including polymer and thermal enhancements, offshore drilling and platforms (you can lump sub-sea versus platform systems if you'd like), and so on and so forth. And GOM didn't cure the 1979 global peak oil, other countries producing more oil did.

Come on Doly, how can any self respecting peak oiler not know even the most basic advancements that stopped all those other peak oil claims in the past? My favorite was the USGS in 1919, and Hubbert declaring peak oil in the US by the year 1950. For some reason, you don't hear peak oilers mentioning that one....cherry pickers of data that they are.... :)

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Previous

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate