Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Greta Thunberg's Voyage Pt. 2

Re: Greta Thunberg's Voyage Pt. 2

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 29 Oct 2019, 18:29:59

RocdoC,

You’ve been calling folks names like “moron” for a while. When it’s two sided I keep out but recently I’ve noticed that you have been using such language unprovoked.

Please desist.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Tue 29 Oct 2019, 18:42:37

It always amazes me how various people interpret language. Apparently it is alright to call someone a "denier" but not a "moron" even though the latter is a medical term that was used for decades

Idiot, Imbecile, Moron
From the Latin word imbecillus, meaning weak or weak-minded, the term imbecile is actually a medical category used to describe people with moderate to severe intellectual disability. During the early 20th century, people with an IQ score between 0 and 20 were considered an “idiot,” between 21 and 50 an “imbecile,” and between 51 and 70 a “moron.” As imbecile moved from less of a medical term and more of a derogatory insult, it was removed from professional use and was replaced by “mental retardation.” However, the “moron,” “imbecile,” “idiot” IQ classification remained until the early 1970s. With President Barrack Obama’s signing of “Rosa’s Law” on Oct. 5, 2010, federal laws that referred to “mental retardation” were changed to “intellectual disability.”

but whatever makes you happy.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Ibon » Tue 29 Oct 2019, 18:54:02

rockdoc123 wrote:It always amazes me how various people interpret language. Apparently it is alright to call someone a "denier" but not a "moron" even though the latter is a medical term that was used for decades

but whatever makes you happy.

It always amazes me how you always have to have the last word. Can you do it? Let's see.
Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 29 Oct 2019, 20:24:49

Rocdoc,

How about “ninny” and “idiot”. Which you have used today.

KNOCK IT OFF.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby asg70 » Tue 29 Oct 2019, 21:37:51

The ad homs aren't as annoying as how far OFF TOPIC this discussion has become.

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Wed 30 Oct 2019, 02:47:08

rockdoc123 wrote:Companies have been improving environmental reclamation and safety issues continuously for decades. Rather than fantasizing about what is happening you might actually educate yourself regarding the facts.

Safety/environmental rules at the moment (at least in chemical & pharma industry which I am familiar with) are such that substantial part of work is outsourced to 3rd world because it is impossible to proceed with the task on the West.
This is in part due to a lack of skilled labor (yes, graduates from western academia including STEM are increasingly stupid and incompetent and one of major reasons is that academic curriculums and safety rules are making it impossible to train them).
Another reason are outright bans on certain technologies/chemical processes, so even if critical they cannot be run on the West, regadless how careful and considerate affected company would wish to be.
So entire sectors of industry are outsourced abroad, outside of western jurisdictions and together with transfers of complete, state of the art technologies.
This is an important factor in overall "moronization" of the West which proceeds at breathtaking peace.
It is one of aspects of voluntary selfannihilation of western societies which can be observed in many aspects of life.
So most of things which are sold in Europe as "German" are actually made in China.
For example lawn mowner is made in China and a spark plug for it is made in China.
In Germany they are fitting spark plug to the rest and sell everything as "Made in Germany".
I observe some funny developments in this respect:
It is increasingly common for me, when I purchase chinese engineering stuff on Alibaba, to find my item coming from Germany with a label "Made in Germany" and yet there are often some chinese writings on it.
When I have some querry and phone to China about my item they will often say "we have depo in Germany".
West is becoming to be a farce.
In addition to debt, useless paperwork, perverts and SJW not much is produced here anymore.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Wed 30 Oct 2019, 11:56:03

Safety/environmental rules at the moment (at least in chemical & pharma industry which I am familiar with) are such that substantial part of work is outsourced to 3rd world because it is impossible to proceed with the task on the West.

regardless of what industry you are in if it is a National company you have hired they are going to adhere to whatever the safety/environmental laws are in that jurisdiction. If it is a foreign company the general rule is you adhere by whichever is the most stringent ....your own rules/regs, the country rules/regs or industry standards. The large companies I worked for tend to insist that contractors adhere to their rules, smaller companies don't usually have that luxury. For companies that I mentioned above...Apple, IBM, Cisco they have the market clout to insist that contractors adhere to specified rules. Where issues arise it is usually something to do with monitoring activities properly rather than purposefully trying to avoid the regs.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Wed 30 Oct 2019, 14:24:08

rockdoc123 wrote:Where issues arise it is usually something to do with monitoring activities properly rather than purposefully trying to avoid the regs.

When regulations are calling for bans on work with certain chemicals which cannot be economically substituted, companies are outsourcing work to jurisdictions where such bans are not in place. Required end product is delivered (and only intermediates are troubled by regulations) and noone asks questions, how it was made.
While working in pharma I was frequently witnessing such situations.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Wed 30 Oct 2019, 14:34:23

never seen it happen in the oil and gas upstream, downstream or service industry. You would get fired instantly for attempting that sort of thing once senior management found out.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Wed 30 Oct 2019, 14:53:08

rockdoc123 wrote:

never seen it happen in the oil and gas upstream, downstream or service industry. You would get fired instantly for attempting that sort of thing once senior management found out.

So I will now tell you about practice in pharma:
Senior management in large company is subcontracting inconvenient work to a smaller company (I was working for such smaller company).
Smaller company is subcontracting this work abroad and get job done there. Smaller company does not ask company abroad, how they are going to make this product. There are no legal obligations to do so and supplier from abroad could refuse to provide data because it is often proprietary and commercially sensitive information. They could also lie to make you feel better.
Product is received and then sold to corpo which have ordered it (sometimes after additional processing).
Big corpo management is not asking how this product was made but sometimes during business dinner they may make few remarks.
"Ech, we know, it is confidential... blah...blah... but we are sure you have wonderful technology..."
All these tricks can go up to ~3 steps before end product which is then packaged and sold to customer.
Final steps are covered by GMP rules (good manufacturing practice) which demands to document exactly process parameters.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 30 Oct 2019, 15:48:53

Chile just cancelled the upcoming COP25 meeting in Chile because of ongoing street protests.

Greta had planned to keep the pressure up on the UN by attending the COP25 meeting, but now its unclear where it will occur, or if the meeting will happen at all.

Sorry Chile...no climate change meeting for you!

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Thu 31 Oct 2019, 13:08:16

an appropriate halloween cartoon for this thread

rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby jedrider » Wed 06 Nov 2019, 15:11:00

In the political sphere, if Greta Thunberg can board a 'carbon-free' ship, the rest of us can get off our butts: Protest, vote, whatever :-)
jedrider
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Ibon » Wed 06 Nov 2019, 15:27:34

jedrider wrote:In the political sphere, if Greta Thunberg can board a 'carbon-free' ship, the rest of us can get off our butts: Protest, vote, whatever :-)

Greta and her peers will be the first generation to do something concrete about climate change and the first generation to experience some of the more painful consequences.

Of course Greta and her peers have to move from the symbolism of riding carbon free ships to the actual structural changes both physically and socially to greatly reduce humanity's carbon footprint.

The pathway from symbolism to concrete lifestyle changes will be challenging to say the least.

You want to know the purest definition of obsolescence and calcified cynicism? All of us older baby boomers, mostly men, who disparage Greta and disparage the symbolism of what she represents!
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby aspera » Wed 06 Nov 2019, 15:57:30

Ibon wrote: You want to know the purest definition of obsolescence and calcified cynicism? All of us older baby boomers, mostly men, who disparage Greta and disparage the symbolism of what she represents!

Reminds me of the quote attributed to Gandhi:
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

The cynics seem to be at the laughing stage, unaware of their growing impotence.
Oceans rise, empires fall.
Plant a garden. Soon.
aspera
Peat
Peat

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Wed 06 Nov 2019, 16:10:04

Ibon wrote:Greta and her peers will be the first generation to do something concrete about climate change and the first generation to experience some of the more painful consequences.

Of course Greta and her peers have to move from the symbolism of riding carbon free ships to the actual structural changes both physically and socially to greatly reduce humanity's carbon footprint.

The pathway from symbolism to concrete lifestyle changes will be challenging to say the least.

You want to know the purest definition of obsolescence and calcified cynicism? All of us older baby boomers, mostly men, who disparage Greta and disparage the symbolism of what she represents!

Banksters are doing far more efficient job in transitioning economy to low carbon footprint and bringing population to sustainable carrying capacity then Greta and her generation of snowflakes could possibly dream about.
By immense greed they are facilitating exploitation of available non renovable resources, causing evertything around to be consumed and wasted and they are the most efficient agents of ruin and chaos which humanity ever faced in its history.
They are working very hard to destroy global economy as it stands, they are very close to a total success with it and they have taken all possible steps to ensure that this destruction will be non reversible in coming thousands of years if not for much longer.
Greta and all the snowflakes taken together stands not a slightest chance to achieve even a fraction of percent of what banksters are about to deliver.

However banksters have a one final trick in their sleeve:
Once they have delivered all the ruin and chaos which is about to come and peoples are bashing them up for it, they will shrug their shoulders and say "blame Greta".
Last edited by EnergyUnlimited on Wed 06 Nov 2019, 16:18:22, edited 1 time in total.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 06 Nov 2019, 16:15:47

... 'carbon-free' ship.....

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a "carbon-free" ship. Sailing ships and everything installed in them have to be manufactured, just like everything else, and the mining and manufacturing processes necessary to build sailing ships are themselves very carbon intensive.

Another problem is that when Greta sailed from Europe to the USA it later came out that the crew members for that ship all had to FLY to the sailboat, so really it took about six flights to let Greta not take one flight.

The symbolism is good, and I support Greta all the way, but symbolism is not enough. What is needed is a new UN climate change treaty that mandates global reductions in CO2 emissions. Thats why its OK for Greta to emit as much carbon as she has to in order to get to COP25 in Madrid. Greta is the main voice speaking out today and going after the UN for not doing enough.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Ibon » Wed 06 Nov 2019, 16:17:11

EnergyUnlimited wrote:Banksters are doing far more efficient job in transitioning economy to low carbon footprint and bringing population to sustainable carrying capacity then Greta and her generation of snowflakes could possibly dream about.
By immense greed they are facilitating exploitation of available non renovable resources, causing evertything around to be consumed and wasted and they are the most efficient agents of ruin and chaos which humanity ever faced in its history.
They are working very hard to destroy global economy as it stands, they are very close to a total success with it and they have taken all possible steps to ensure that this destruction will be non reversible in coming thousands of years if not for much longer.
Greta and all the snowflakes taken together stands not a slightest chance to achieve even a fraction of percent of what banksters are about to deliver.

Grouchy old baby boomer from his arm chair disparaging the world and the youth of today. Thank You EU for confirming so eloquently my point about the obsolescence of baby boomers.

Only fellow obsolete baby boomers even read this crap. Not a single member of the current young generation reads what you post or would even give a damn.

Of course you will respond that they are degenerate. Go ahead.
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Wed 06 Nov 2019, 16:23:12

Ibon wrote:Only fellow obsolete baby boomers even read this crap. Not a single member of the current young generation reads what you post or would even give a damn.

Of course you will respond that they are degenerate. Go ahead.

I have my doubts about members of younger generation being capable to read at all, so I am not surprised - they are unlikely to.
Growing proportion of them these days instead of reading can only watch written words and emotionally associate with them.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby aspera » Wed 06 Nov 2019, 16:24:08

EnergyUnlimited wrote:... Greta and her generation of snowflakes ...

OK, Boomer: Is calling them snowflakes an example of laughing at them, or fighting them?

Your argument, that the bankers will bring on a reset before others, could have been made without disparaging those others who are trying to do the same thing.

Greta's trying. You and I are just typing right now.
Oceans rise, empires fall.
Plant a garden. Soon.
aspera
Peat
Peat

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate