Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

"Greening" your small business?

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

"Greening" your small business?

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Thu 05 Jan 2012, 05:50:03

Hi ya'll and welcome to the big one (2012) :-D
Another thread got me thinking to start this conversation on an idea developing around a new business I am kicking off.

In a few short months the business (restoring antique windows mostly) has gone bonkers. I am finding that simultaneously the people who own these antique places are shifting money out of the markets into perceived hard assets and seriously considering environmental concerns in their decision making (whether for table chatter value or sincere ethics is none of my concern).

So to get to the point, I am currently subcontracting all my work with the contractor supplying all tools/ equip/ vehicle. Thus I have an already viable business, which owns/ owes exactly zero. The next stage mandates purchasing my own gear and what I want to do is get the 'greenest' most enviro-sound set up I can possibly set up which will not just do the job, but promote these aspects of what I do.

There are more and less sound power tools and ways to power them, but I'm not really into counting kilojoules to that extent. The main greentech I am looking at is an electric assisted tricycle with toolbox/ roofrack/ solar panel and signage. There are a few folks here in Melbourne with variations on this promotional technique. With a temperate climate and mostly flat/ many miles of designated bikeways/ it would be easy here.

Seems like worth the effort from a variety of perspectives, business, health and just enjoyability!

Is anyone else here 'greening' their business?
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Re: "Greening" your small business?

Unread postby Pops » Thu 05 Jan 2012, 11:25:28

Very good! You won't believe it but I recently was thinking of the same idea after watching an installment of "This Old House" that featured a window restorer!

As an old house junkie, I believe restoring existing windows is the "right" thing to do and of course restoration is greenest: wood windows can last centuries and the typical disposable vinyl replacement only 20. Spend the same money restoring the sash and putting up good quality storm windows - the efficiency is almost the same and it keeps the house intact.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Thu 05 Jan 2012, 17:37:32

Well huh, great minds? :lol:

It's the funnest job I've ever had, every job is different, and yep, it's feel good work on very old homes.
As I am 98% recycling the existing timbers, I don't need a big vehicle to move lumber around. My tools/ grinder/ sanders/ drill/ epoxy kit/ drop saw all fit in the back of a small car, so an e-trike would do it.

I've been trying to attract a certain kind of young person (as mentioned in other threads) to work for my business. I figure this is another aspect of greening the business which could benefit: attracting really the best people to work for me. People with not just a work ethic, but some real ethics.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Thu 05 Jan 2012, 18:14:17

Beware lead based paints,when sanding old windows.
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Thu 05 Jan 2012, 18:34:04

Too true Shaved! I don't skimp on safety gear.
Had a falling out with a subbie last week who thought the dust sheets from a job we were on would be good for something he was doing at home. Left us on Christmas working with no proper dust covers on an occupied family home. Nowhere to buy more. I was more than a little upset. If these clients had perchance had any reason to get nasty any clever lawyer would have the dust tested and sue my backside off.
Dust control is the number 1 environmental issue with this work, and is an aspect under serious consideration.
Good quality dust extraction units are expensive as hell. I'm currently improvising with industrial vacuum cleaner/ funnel arrangement and covers/ masks.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Pops » Thu 05 Jan 2012, 18:57:58

The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby careinke » Thu 05 Jan 2012, 19:31:55

Pops wrote:Very good! You won't believe it but I recently was thinking of the same idea after watching an installment of "This Old House" that featured a window restorer!

As an old house junkie, I believe restoring existing windows is the "right" thing to do and of course restoration is greenest: wood windows can last centuries and the typical disposable vinyl replacement only 20. Spend the same money restoring the sash and putting up good quality storm windows - the efficiency is almost the same and it keeps the house intact.

Wow I need to see that episode. I live in a 99 year old house with NO insulation, lap and plaster walls, and the original windows. I even have the receipt for the house windows, $32.53! That said the house is very comfortable, It was built aligned with the sun, has overhanging porches, and a east facing sun room that acts like a furnace on those cold clear winter mornings. Obviously it breaths with no insulation. the max electric bill ever was $200.

I've actually decided not to insulate. The house is in pretty good shape so it has been working for 100 years. I'm afraid if I insulate it will throw things out of balance. But refurbishing the windows might be an option. Did he reuse the wavy glass? It would be a tough call for me whether to keep the glass or replace it. As a side note, I always thought the glass was wavy from gravity, not true, they just could not make good window glass back then.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Thu 05 Jan 2012, 20:00:23

"Between 1953 and 1957, Sir Alastair Pilkington and Kenneth Bickerstaff of the UK's Pilkington Brothers developed the first successful commercial application for forming a continuous ribbon of glass using a molten tin bath on which the molten glass flows unhindered under the influence of gravity.[3] The success of this process lay in the careful balance of the volume of glass fed onto the bath, where it was flattened by its own weight.[4] Full scale profitable sales of float glass were first achieved in 1960.'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Float_glass

An interesting article on the process/ history.
A 100 y.o. house in the US would likely have blown windows. If they are big they would have been very special orders back then. If they are small chunks with wide thickness variations, they are made from 'Rondells' which was a byproduct of the old window blowing process.

Hey thanks Pops! You're my gaurdian angel! I need to get into that. I have to be carefullnot to propogate moisture in the process, steam might slow me down by a day on each job. Would be well worth it to be dust free or much closer to it!
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Thu 05 Jan 2012, 21:47:42

careinke wrote: But refurbishing the windows might be an option. Did he reuse the wavy glass? It would be a tough call for me whether to keep the glass or replace it. As a side note, I always thought the glass was wavy from gravity, not true, they just could not make good window glass back then.

Scientists have made a breakthrough discovery in the bizarre properties of glass, which behaves at times like both a solid and a liquid.

http://www.livescience.com/7511-bizarre ... ealed.html
We had a the pitch experiment running in our science class room and our science teacher told us if we lived long enough you could do it with glass too.
http://patriciahysell.wordpress.com/2010/11/28/3908/

any how it would be a shame to lose the wavy glass look its what gives old windows character.
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Thu 05 Jan 2012, 23:50:11

Long enough in this case would be a very long time:
http://www.ancienttouch.com/roman_glass.htm
Thousands of year old Roman Vases show no visible liquification.
The old myth of windows getting thicker at the bottom feeds off the use of rondels of uneven thickness to begin with; as can be seen by the utter non uniformity of this 'room temperature slumping'. If the glazier was a little sleepy they often broke the pattern and put the chunk thick side up. This was considered bad practice because it created work for people me 100 years later, by trapping moisture in the section frames.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Pops » Fri 06 Jan 2012, 00:24:40

I did look on the website for the episode but couldn't find it - it's the current house so maybe after this season more will be available online. At any rate the Utube showing the steam box configuration and the other one showing the process are just about the same except for a few tricks for repairing the muntins.

IIRC Gypsy, the restorer said the moisture wasn't a factor as the heat helped dry the wood quickly.

Some more using a portable steamer:
http://www.historichomeworks.com/hhw/index.htm
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 06 Jan 2012, 05:23:23

Yep, I can't ignore that advice Pops. The old putty in particular is a nightmare, especially when trying to preserve very old glass intact. Thanks for the heads up, once again :-D
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Return to Conservation & Efficiency