Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Global Warming / Climate Changes Pt. 23

Re: Global Warming / Climate Changes Pt. 23

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 13 Jan 2024, 00:47:17

theluckycountry wrote: We seem to be getting more floods here than over the past 60 odd years, property prices along the major rivers that have seen floods are down and taking longer than usual to recover. Horrendous storms have been causing havoc up in my state as well. I beginning to wonder if a reinforced concrete home high in the mountains might not be the way to go in the future?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ossil-fuel

Yes, the river lowlands are flooding in Australia.....but at other times the mountain forests are also burning.

If you move to a concrete home in the mountains make sure that it can survive a forest fire.

Huge Fires burn through the low, forested "mountains" in eastern Australia.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby jedrider » Sat 13 Jan 2024, 19:09:05

theluckycountry wrote:What if Governments globally do something drastic, like they did over the Magic Virus. What if they severely rationed gasoline, or interfered with our driving habits in other ways? I have a particularly expensive motorcycle that I was mothballing to sell off in the future, a real keeper bike that's in demand.

Is it a Ducati? I don't ride motorcycles, but if I had to take a last ride, it would be on something like that.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sun 14 Jan 2024, 02:12:42

No, but it's something like that. opsec prevents me from elaborating :P
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Tuike » Sun 11 Feb 2024, 14:54:22

Global ocean temperatures have officially gone off the chart. We are in a climate emergency.
Eric Holthaus Bluesky
Tuike
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Subjectivist » Mon 12 Feb 2024, 21:13:30

News from Vermont news media;
Through the first 12 days of February, the snow depth at Burlington, VT has been 0" or a trace. During the snow depth period of record (1895-present) this is the 1st time there hasn't been measurable snow on the ground during any of the the first twelve days of February.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby theluckycountry » Tue 13 Feb 2024, 09:27:59

Tuike wrote:Global ocean temperatures have officially gone off the chart. We are in a climate emergency.
Eric Holthaus Bluesky

Yes. I remember all the boffins being confused for a decade as to why the global temps weren't increasing, then someone looked at the ocean temps, that's where it was all going. From memory it was hard to pick up on because the top few hundred meters of the ocean mixed rapidly so the warmer water was being drawn down.

Of course the specific heat capacity of water is massive compared to the air so it was able to soak up mountains of heat. Then it reached a sort of limit for rapid absorption and thereafter heat was released periodically, leading to the super hurricanes and over the top rain events. Basically huge amounts of water was evaporating from the oceans and taking the latent heat of evaporation with it. That's why steam is so super hot, heat being just a measure of the motion of particles.

So now it's really heating up down there. I expect a lot of big rain events in the years to come and massive flooding. Serious cyclones too no doubt but for some reason they have not occurred much over the past few years, especially here? Very complex the weather systems of the Earth, many drivers, not just heat. I wonder what's happening with that warm current up off England, it was slated to slow down and cause havoc to their weather.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 31 Mar 2024, 22:04:36

News from the North Slope of Alaska.

Trees are expanding north in Alaska's Arctic as a result of sea ice loss

White spruce trees dot the tundra in the Brooks Range. These trees are better able to survive harsh conditions due to heavy winter snowfall, a result of Arctic sea ice loss.

Trees are gaining ground in the Arctic as a result of climate change. A group of scientists studying tree cover in Alaska’s Brooks Range found that trees are expanding north and at higher elevations, in part due to the loss of Arctic sea ice, which is disappearing because of human-caused global warming.

When sea ice retreats, large areas of open water are left in its place. Warm conditions speed up evaporation, leading to heavier snowfall on nearby land, said Patrick Sullivan, director of the Environment and Natural Resources Institute at the University of Alaska Anchorage.

“You basically have this blanket of snow that covers up small seedlings and saplings, and protects them,” he said.

That thicker snow layer is making it easier for trees to survive in harsh Arctic conditions.
“In the winter in the Arctic, the wind picks up all of these spiky snow crystals, and basically batters trees and other vegetation that stick up above the snow,” Sullivan said. “And so the deeper the snow, more of the population gets protected.”

Sullivan said snow also serves as an insulator, keeping the ground warm enough that soil microbes can continue to churn out nutrients for growing trees.

Permafrost thaw, another effect of climate change, is also at play, said Sullivan. The thick, insulating layers of snow are speeding up the thaw, making it easier for trees to take hold in the soil and grow.

Rapid growth in white spruce trees can actually be linked to periods of open water at sea, said Colin Maher, a postdoctoral fellow at UAA who studies tree rings.

“If you look at the tree ring measurements, you would see an increasing trend in ring widths. They start kind of small, and then they get bigger and bigger. And that’s what the open water looks like as well,” Maher said. “It’s increasing rapidly.”

Roman Dial, a math and biology professor at Alaska Pacific University who co-authored a recent paper on tree line expansion in Science with Sullivan, Maher and other researchers, studied satellite imagery from around the circumpolar north and found that the tree line is advancing in many parts of the Arctic.

Dial said this shift in the Arctic ecosystem isn’t limited just to trees – animals like moose, beavers, black bears, and even salmon are moving north too. The availability of the subsistence animals that many communities rely on is also changing.
“What does that mean for people who live there? It’s hard to say,” Dial said. “It’s a change. You can talk to people in Kotzebue, and they’re excited about the huge chum salmon runs that they’re getting, but they’re kind of bummed out that the caribou populations are crashing.”

Dial said it also remains to be seen how increased tree cover will affect the climate. Trees serve an important role as a “carbon sink,” storing carbon dioxide, which is a major driver of global warming. But at the same time, dark trees like spruce soak up sunlight instead of reflecting it back the way bare, snowy tundra does. Dial said trees trapping heat like that could speed up Arctic warming.

Link
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sun 31 Mar 2024, 23:22:40

hanks Tanada, you always post the most insightful scientific research. Biology was my favorite subject back when, that and Geology. Still today I have a couple of research grade microscopes I use (not often enough) to explore the living world. It's fascinating understanding how our world works, a giant jigsaw puzzle to piece together.

I'll see if I can find something commensurate on the Amazon.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ralfy » Mon 01 Apr 2024, 00:48:30

Also, what are the effects of sea ice loss?
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 01 Apr 2024, 02:50:56

ralfy wrote:Also, what are the effects of sea ice loss?

Open water releases a great deal of water vapor into the formerly dry arctic air, then drops it as snow on the tundra for hundreds of miles inland from the coast. This greatly thickens the winter snow burden on the tundra which acts as thermal shielding keeping the deep arctic cold from hard freezing the tundra surface layer. This not only protects the spruce seedlings from deep freeze killing them, it also keeps the top meter of soil from freezing much below 0 celsius. In spring the constant sun melts the thick snow in a few weeks leaving the lightly frozen top meter of tundra exposed to the endless sun absorbing heat and thawing more of the permafrost bellow the active surface layer. Dead plant matter is consumed by the soil bacteria releasing natural nutrients vital for healthy tree growth which the warmer climate encourage to grow more rapidly hence the recent increase in tree ring width on long established trees at the old edge of growth.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby ralfy » Mon 01 Apr 2024, 20:20:03

Tanada wrote:
ralfy wrote:Also, what are the effects of sea ice loss?

Open water releases a great deal of water vapor into the formerly dry arctic air, then drops it as snow on the tundra for hundreds of miles inland from the coast. This greatly thickens the winter snow burden on the tundra which acts as thermal shielding keeping the deep arctic cold from hard freezing the tundra surface layer. This not only protects the spruce seedlings from deep freeze killing them, it also keeps the top meter of soil from freezing much below 0 celsius. In spring the constant sun melts the thick snow in a few weeks leaving the lightly frozen top meter of tundra exposed to the endless sun absorbing heat and thawing more of the permafrost bellow the active surface layer. Dead plant matter is consumed by the soil bacteria releasing natural nutrients vital for healthy tree growth which the warmer climate encourage to grow more rapidly hence the recent increase in tree ring width on long established trees at the old edge of growth.

It was a rhetorical question in light of the thread title.

https://nsidc.org/learn/ask-scientist/w ... a-ice-loss

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/sea ... imate.html
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Fri 19 Apr 2024, 22:59:52

The amazon was a deadend, any improvement due to higher CO2 has been overshadowed by logging and clearing for farming. By all reports it continues to shrink.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 24 Apr 2024, 09:54:14

Tanada,
Do you know of the Rutgees Meterologist Jennifer Francis? She specializes in upper air currents. I find her very solid.

This year the weather has been different here in the Eastern Caribbean. Normally North American continental weather events do not penetrate below the Virgin Islands.

This year we had multiple low pressure systems effect our weather here, switching the reliable Eastern trade winds to West winds. It has made sailing more interesting as the new variability can either keep you somewhere or make a difficult passage simple. Lots of rain also.

Last few days Antigua has been blanketed by the thickest Saharan dust I have seen. Health warning for sensitive folks. It is not subtle.

Off again this afternoon, flying back to US before taking up summer quarters in Canada. Migration time.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 24 Apr 2024, 10:36:04

Newfie wrote:Tanada,
Do you know of the Rutgees Meterologist Jennifer Francis? She specializes in upper air currents. I find her very solid.

This year the weather has been different here in the Eastern Caribbean. Normally North American continental weather events do not penetrate below the Virgin Islands.

This year we had multiple low pressure systems effect our weather here, switching the reliable Eastern trade winds to West winds. It has made sailing more interesting as the new variability can either keep you somewhere or make a difficult passage simple. Lots of rain also.

Last few days Antigua has been blanketed by the thickest Saharan dust I have seen. Health warning for sensitive folks. It is not subtle.

Off again this afternoon, flying back to US before taking up summer quarters in Canada. Migration time.

I used to follow her reports closely but this last decade with so many competing crisis' she has kind of fallen into the background. With your heads up I will look at some of her more recent stuff and see what new she has to say.

Speaking of weather, here at the west end of Lake Erie we are experiencing a cold snap. We had lovely 72F degree weather for the total solar eclipse and I even got a sunburn because I didn't think ahead and use lotion. However for the last four days it has been cool to cold. Today is the lowest so far with a high of only 42F, with an overnight freeze warning going into tomorrow. We would more normally be a night time low in the 40'sF with highs in the 60'sF. However Friday's low is predicted to be 36F with a high of 68F, slightly warm, then 79F Saturday, 83F Sunday and 79F again on Monday.

I can't speak for everyone but life experience teaches me that these rapid temperature yo-yo's are very hard on the elderly and infirm. Watch your local obituaries when this happens around your local and I predict over the next 14 days will see a spike in deaths followed by a lower than average spell that makes up for the spike.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate