Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Genetically Modified Food Pt. 1 (merged)

Re: Corn Plastic to the Rescue

Unread postby Heineken » Fri 18 Aug 2006, 09:20:15

Corn isn't the answer to our problems, but it's obvious we're going to have to learn that the hard way.

I've grown corn. It slurps up nutrients and water like nothing else and generally ruins the soil.

Cornfields the size of Rhode Island are just another brief phenom of the cheap-oil era.
"Actually, humans died out long ago."
---Abused, abandoned hunting dog

"Things have entered a stage where the only change that is possible is for things to get worse."
---I & my bro.
Heineken
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dinopello » Fri 18 Aug 2006, 10:30:16

Heineken wrote:Corn isn't the answer to our problems, but it's obvious we're going to have to learn that the hard way.

I've grown corn. It slurps up nutrients and water like nothing else and generally ruins the soil.

Cornfields the size of Rhode Island are just another brief phenom of the cheap-oil era.

Corn is Ok in moderation. Popcorn at the movies, some sweet corn on the cob with butter, corn bread w/chili and sour mash whisky all good stuff. But I tend to think there is too much engineered corn products in the food I see (high fructose corn syrup, corn oil, starches etc). Will having this market for other stuff to make with corn make it less attractive to use as an engineered additive? If so, that would be my silver lining. Of course, food would get more expensive if you actually had to use sugar, but we (I) could do with eating fewer doritos and soda pop.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby NEOPO » Fri 18 Aug 2006, 11:55:19

Stevia could easily replace corn and sugar as a sweetener.

If something can replace oil for plastics then I think it is a good idea.
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Tyler_JC » Fri 18 Aug 2006, 23:18:26

20% of US corn production goes to produce about 3% of our total gasoline usage.

Thus,

100% OF ALL US CORN PRODUCTION would yield only around 15% of our total gasoline usage.

And in order to get that 15% of our gas we would need to import millions of tons of corn in order to feed ourselves, feed our livestock, and feed our corn syrup industry.

Good freaking luck with that plan, ADM. :roll:

{thread split by Shannymara, off topic posts moved here}
"www.peakoil.com is the Myspace of the Apocalypse."
Tyler_JC
Expert
Expert

Study Confirms GM Crops Threaten Human Fertility

Unread postby Commanding_Heights » Sat 15 Nov 2008, 15:12:38

I am copying and pasting this from a boifuel discussion list I belong to.
Austrian Government Study Confirms Genetically Modified (GM) Crops Threaten Human Fertility and Health Safety Advocates Call for Immediate Ban of All GM Foods and GM Crops (November 13, 2008):
(Los Angeles, CA.) - A long-term feeding study _http://www.ages.at/ueber-uns/presse/pressemeldungen/_
(http://www.ages.at/ueber-uns/presse/pressemeldungen/) commissioned by the Austrian Agency for Health and Food Safety, managed by the Austrian Federal Ministry of Health, Family and Youth, and carried out by Veterinary University Vienna, confirms genetically modified (GM) corn seriously affects reproductive health in mice.
Non-GMO advocates, who have warned about this infertility link along with other health risks, now seek an immediate ban of all GM foods and GM crops to protect the health of humankind and the fertility of women around the world.

Feeding mice with genetically modified corn developed by the US-based Monsanto Corporation led to lower fertility and body weight, according to the study conducted by the University of Veterinary Medicine in Vienna. Lead author of the study Professor Zentek said, there was a direct link between the decrease in fertility and the GM diet, and that mice fed with non-GE corn reproduced more efficiently.

In the study, Austrian scientists performed several long-term feeding trials over 20 weeks with laboratory mice fed a diet containing 33% of a GM variety (NK 603 x MON 810), or a closely related non-GE variety used in many countries. Statistically significant litter size and pup weight decreases were found in the third and fourth litters in the GM-fed mice, compared to the control group.

The corn is genetically modified with genes that produce a pesticidal toxin, as well as genes that allow it to survive applications of Monsanto’s herbicide Roundup.

A book by author Jeffrey M. Smith, Genetic Roulette, distributed to members of congress last year, documents 65 serious health risks of GM products, including similar fertility problems with GM soy and GM corn: Offspring of rats fed GM soy showed a five-fold increase in mortality, lower birth weights, and the inability to reproduce. Male mice fed GM soy had damaged young sperm cells. The embryo offspring of GM soy-fed mice had altered DNA functioning.
Several US farmers reported sterility or fertility problems among pigs and cows fed on GM corn varieties. Additionally, over the last two months, investigators in India have documented fertility problems, abortions, premature births, and other serious health issues, including deaths, among buffaloes fed GM cottonseed products.

The principle GM crops are soy, corn, cottonseed and canola. GM sugar from sugar beets will also be introduced before year*s end.

Mr. Smith, who is also the Executive Director of the Institute for Responsible Technology says, **GM foods are likely responsible for several negative health trends in the US. The government must impose an immediate ban on these dangerous crops.** He says, **Consumers don’t need to wait for governmental action. They can download a free Non-GMO Shopping Guide at _www.HealthierEating.org_ (http://www.HealthierEating.org) .**

Monsanto press offices in the UK and USA were unable to provide a comment on the findings for journalists yesterday.

The Institute for Responsible Technology’s Campaign for Healthier Eating in America mobilizes citizens, organizations, businesses, and the media, to achieve the tipping point of consumer rejection of genetically modified foods.

The Institute educates people about the documented health risks of GMOs and provides them with healthier non-GMO product choices.

The Institute also informs policy makers and the public around the world about the impacts of GMOs on health, environment, the economy, and agriculture, and the problems associated with current research, regulation, corporate practices, and reporting.
Commanding_Heights
Peat
Peat

Re: Study Confirms GM Crops Threaten Human Fertility

Unread postby VMarcHart » Sat 15 Nov 2008, 15:52:27

Feeding mice with genetically modified corn developed by the US-based Monsanto Corporation led to lower fertility and body weight, according to the study conducted by the University of Veterinary Medicine in Vienna. Lead author of the study Professor Zentek said, there was a direct link between the decrease in fertility and the GM diet, and that mice fed with non-GE corn reproduced more efficiently.
Two problems solved for the price of one?!?! That's terrific!
On 9/29/08, cube wrote: "The Dow will drop to 4,000 within 2 years". The current tally is 239 bold predictions, 9 right, 96 wrong, 134 open. If you've heard here, it's probably wrong.
VMarcHart
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby mos6507 » Sat 15 Nov 2008, 17:49:47

VMarcHart wrote:
Two problems solved for the price of one?!?! That's terrific!

Thumbs way up.
mos6507

Unread postby frankthetank » Sun 16 Nov 2008, 01:15:24

Any possibility it isn't the pesticide (roundup) that is causing some of this? Those crops are sprayed pretty heavily with that crap. Aren't pesticides widely believed to be the cause behind the mutated frogs/etc?

Who knows anymore.
lawns should be outlawed.
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sun 16 Nov 2008, 01:17:56

<i>Feeding mice with genetically modified corn developed by the US-based Monsanto Corporation led to lower fertility and body weight</i>

Sounds like a good thing.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Daphne64 » Sun 16 Nov 2008, 01:49:41

It doesn't sound like a good thing to me, because people who wait longer to have kids (which are more likely to be the kind of people one would want to have kids) are more likely to be affected.

Teenage mothers will be least affected.
Daphne64
Peat
Peat

Unread postby mos6507 » Sun 16 Nov 2008, 02:56:36

Daphne64 wrote:It doesn't sound like a good thing to me, because people who wait longer to have kids (which are more likely to be the kind of people one would want to have kids) are more likely to be affected.

Teenage mothers will be least affected.

OK, so it should be stopping dummies like Palin from having kids, but not her teenage kids. 1 out of 2 ain't bad.
mos6507

Unread postby smallpoxgirl » Sun 16 Nov 2008, 03:15:17

This is wonderful news. My only question now is how do we convince people to eat more GMO corn?
"We were standing on the edges
Of a thousand burning bridges
Sifting through the ashes every day
What we thought would never end
Now is nothing more than a memory
The way things were before
I lost my way" - OCMS
smallpoxgirl
Expert
Expert

Unread postby frankthetank » Sun 16 Nov 2008, 12:28:56

SO a cow eats GMO corn...

Are the T-bones now GMO T-bones???

Isn't most of this GMO stuff fed to animals....
lawns should be outlawed.
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Commanding_Heights » Sun 16 Nov 2008, 12:43:22

frankthetank wrote:Any possibility it isn't the pesticide (roundup) that is causing some of this? Those crops are sprayed pretty heavily with that crap. Aren't pesticides widely believed to be the cause behind the mutated frogs/etc?

Who knows anymore.

Actually I think it's the BT toxin they "swear" doesn't get into the corn, only the leaves and stem.
Commanding_Heights
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Polemic » Sun 16 Nov 2008, 13:05:20

I think the only thing worse than poisoning the biosphere with this crap, among other things, is nuking the planet to achieve population reduction.

I'm as misanthropic as the next guy, but it disgusts me that y'all cheerlead for this.

(Edited because I had it backwards)
Polemic
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby virgincrude » Sun 16 Nov 2008, 13:28:16

Thanks for this commanding heights: I for one think it's usefull to be able to argue properly against GM. After all, if the human die-off occurs, those who are left to steward the planet would be a bit healthier if they didn't eat this crap, no?

Don't see much point in getting rid of the human over-population problem to replace it with the problem of utterly stupid, genetically invalid and unhealthy survivors. But that's just me..... :)
virgincrude
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: The GMO Empire Strikes Back!

Unread postby AgentR » Thu 12 Mar 2009, 15:43:47

Just a reality check, the proposal does not ban organic or heirloom seeds; it prevents a city from banning GM seeds; coincidently it would prevent a city from banning heirloom seeds as well; though there's no move to do that sort of thing.
Yes, we are. As we are.
And so shall we remain; Until the end.
AgentR
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby outcast » Fri 13 Mar 2009, 00:22:36

Yeah but leave it to the neo-hippies/neo-primitivists to blow it out of proportion.

The entire story is currently over at truthout. But this is the gist of it. All you people trying to set up a sustainable community, take note! They are out to stop you! They're so blind to anything but the profits they can make from GMOs, they don't see what's coming is going to DESTROY industrial agriculture, anyway! This is suicide, and they're gonna take us down with them, if we don't fight back!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude, chill out.
Y2K is real. Y2K is going to rock our world.
-Kunstler

Don't respond, I'll just ignore it.
-MonteQuest
outcast
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby outcast » Fri 13 Mar 2009, 06:22:36

Y2K is real. Y2K is going to rock our world.
-Kunstler

Don't respond, I'll just ignore it.
-MonteQuest
outcast
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate