Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

General News of Social Breakdown in the US: Thread

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: General News of Social Breakdown in the US: Thread

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 23 Aug 2022, 23:12:51

One of the ironies here is that rich white liberal Ds imagine that by not prosecuting black criminals they are somehow helping the black community and expiating the sins of America for its past racism.

But in reality polling shows that minority communities SUPPORT the police more than white communities. After all, it is people in communities of color who are most often victimized by crime.

IMHO white liberal Ds are committing a whole new form of racism wherein they allow communities of color to be victimized by crime by not supporting the police in arresting those criminals and and not electing DAs who will prosecute and put the criminals in jail who prey on people of color.

The way to bring down crime and make urban neighborhoods safe is to arrest the criminals and then prosecute and jail them

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 24 Aug 2022, 06:30:30

What are we looking at here Plant?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 24 Aug 2022, 06:37:01

Plant,

FWIW I tend to agree with you on this. Nothing is absolutely clear cut and those who desire to further their personal goals can and will distort the truth to their own end. At some point they are so successful they create a bad situation that did not previously exist.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 24 Aug 2022, 12:35:25

Yo NEWFIE:

The gif above is showing a time series of various kinds of crimes occurring week by week in a neighborhood, with different kinds of crimes indicated by a color code.

Hope you had a great summer and are set up for another most excellent winter of tropical cruising in the Caribbean.

I'm getting packed for my on cruise on the Northwest Passage voyage.....I'll be doing the Northwest Passage backwards......west to east starting near Demarcation Point at the Alaska-Canada border, then cruising east through the Passage and winding up cruising south to Greenland, Labrador, Newfoundland and down to Nova Scotia.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 24 Aug 2022, 13:08:47

Envious
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 24 Aug 2022, 13:17:51

Hey....I envy you cruising in the Caribbean every winter.

Now THAT is a way cool lifestyle.

Come January you'll be down there wearing shorts and sailing by the windward islands on a sunny day, and I'll be up here in Alaska shuffling around in the dark in -50° temperature.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby C8 » Wed 24 Aug 2022, 16:45:42

Plantagenet wrote:Hey....I envy you cruising in the Caribbean every winter.

Now THAT is a way cool lifestyle.

Come January you'll be down there wearing shorts and sailing by the windward islands on a sunny day, and I'll be up here in Alaska shuffling around in the dark in -50° temperature.

Cheers!

Plant- I have no idea how old you are but if you are past 60 and living in -50 degree temps- isn't that dangerous? Isn't there a time in your life where you move to a safer place?
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby C8 » Wed 24 Aug 2022, 20:44:35

Biden to forgive many student loans

This has damaging consequences in many areas:

The size of the US Debt will increase

Inflation will increase

Many will expect future forgiveness and stop payments or take out bigger loans

The expectation of personal responsibility will be weakened

Those who paid off their loans will be more likely to "get back" at the unfairness in some destructive way (tax evasion?)

It is really hard to see how Biden could make things even worse from here- he has been a one man wrecking ball
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 25 Aug 2022, 07:58:10

“Forgive” is double speak.

The loan does not go away, it is simply transferred.

Biden will transfer student debts to the taxpayers talley.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 25 Aug 2022, 14:48:34

The key word here is "Federal" student loans. One of my daughters has loans out but the Federal ones are already paid back so she will probably not get a dime out of this in spite of teaching for ten years.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 25 Aug 2022, 16:36:23

Plantagenet wrote:I'm getting packed for my on cruise on the Northwest Passage voyage.....I'll be doing the Northwest Passage backwards......west to east starting near Demarcation Point at the Alaska-Canada border, then cruising east through the Passage and winding up cruising south to Greenland, Labrador, Newfoundland and down to Nova Scotia.

But of course you are. :lol:

Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 25 Aug 2022, 16:48:00

C8 wrote:The expectation of personal responsibility will be weakened

Future tense? Please....

Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 25 Aug 2022, 17:51:35

I am surprised that the polls have the Democrats keeping control of the New York legislature as well as their Congressional contingent. I would think crime and taxes would out weigh Roe Vs. wade in a state that already has pro abortion laws in place but apparently those having to ride the lawless subways are not a voting majority.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby evilgenius » Fri 26 Aug 2022, 06:00:32

This right wing fixation on crime is interesting. It must be the first thing they can think of in the wake of the overturning of Roe? They need something as a hook to compete over the "hearts and minds" crowd.

But, really, accusing those who have been shaped by the society in which they live as if they had created that for themselves is not reasonable. You are approaching the problem like a behavioral scientist, looking for behavior over understanding.

It's just like when the counselor at work sends a guy home when he has a problem with alcohol. He can tell the man that he can engage in these sets of behaviors in order to achieve an end result, or he can get with the man and help him understand why he drinks. Depending upon the level of urgency, it may be necessary to adjust behavior, but understanding one's self and getting after what makes you whole by being in charge of your own mental health is a better final place to be than simply not drinking.

And that's what it is with this focus on crime. It smacks of not actually rising to the level of being nearly as urgent as it seems. It's only talked about that way so that it will justify engaging people on a much more simple level, where you can leave them just as quickly after you have gotten their support. Because understanding takes relationship, and not necessarily only the top down kind.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 26 Aug 2022, 06:20:21

Evil;

If I understand you correctly I think that is the essential truth of American, and most all, politics. I would only say you are touching but one aspect, crime. The same logic can be extended to such manor topics as abortion, gun control, and immigration, Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden. The point of the “discussion” is never to resolve a matter but to triumph over the “others.”

It smacks of religious civil war.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 26 Aug 2022, 09:04:50

vtsnowedin wrote:I am surprised that the polls have the Democrats keeping control of the New York legislature as well as their Congressional contingent. I would think crime and taxes would out weigh Roe Vs. wade in a state that already has pro abortion laws in place but apparently those having to ride the lawless subways are not a voting majority.

Some folks are actual Americans first, rather than Democans or Republicrats, and apparently those who are Americans first understand that important Federal rights have been rolled back, and maybe it can continue to happen and maybe even to them? One day they might want to live in a different state and could be surprised it might look like, I don't know, Wehrmacht Germany? Papers to check your whiteness and religious affiliation, women aren't allowed to have reproductive health care so they can birth those fine blonde haired and blue eyed mens, doctors can be jailed for saving their patients, women forced to carry their incestuous rapists child to term, things like that. This works both ways of course, folks moving to California might have to bring their ICE powered machines with them when moving there, and goodness knows the monster truck folks would hate that.

You and I are guys VT, we might not think much of rolling back rights that don't bother us, plus we'll get more gun freedom from the white nationalists which we both might like, but the wimmins, they've can get riled up. Could they be worried about the white nationalists coming for suffrage soon perhaps?

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 26 Aug 2022, 09:12:14

Newfie wrote:It smacks of religious civil war.

It does, doesn't it? But faith based of a different type, belief in white superiority, male dominated, etc etc. Trump obviously has stated his parties preference for the blonde haired and blue eyed Scandinavian people's over folks of color when it comes to immigration, but much like peak oil it becomes it's own belief system, and you are to state your belief or be asked to move along. I'm surprised there hasn't been more anti-Semitism involved in the countries recent upheavals, it would seem to naturally fit in with the white nationalist agenda, and as our former President has told us, the fine white folks protesting at Charlottesville seemed to have a dose of that, but it wasn't as obvious as their replacement theory/white pride slogans.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 30 Aug 2022, 17:35:31

When nearly everyone’s apparent goal is to create as little friction as possible, and to avoid pushing too hard against the gaping contradictions in how our cities are now governed, the result is situations like Yossi Hershkop’s—and maybe Aryeh Wolf’s, too.

https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/news ... ate-crimes
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 30 Aug 2022, 19:10:05

I find it odd that the left think the MAGA crowd has no right to be mad about the FBIs suppression of the Hunter Biden story or the fabrications presented to the FISA court to get warrants.
They would be screaming bloody murder if it happened to one of them.
I don't think it is something any large group is going to try to start a shooting civil war over but they will remember come election day and vote accordingly.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 31 Aug 2022, 07:16:50

Both sides have legitimate gripes and grievances. That the collect them rather than seek resolution is the fatal flaw. We don’t need a politician as President, we need a Marriage Counselor.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to North America Discussion