Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Fossil Fuel Guilt

Discussions related to the physiological and psychological effects of peak oil on our members and future generations.

Re: Fossil Fuel Guilt

Unread postby asg70 » Thu 18 Jan 2018, 00:48:50

Outcast_Searcher wrote:In the end this is much empty crowing about nothing.

Yep. And Plant with his frivolous flying around the globe is exhibit A on that count.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 18 Jan 2018, 13:30:34

Once again I must thank mos/ennui/asg for being a carbon sink and cancelling out my carbon emissions on my grand end-of-the-world tour.

I'm sad to report that London is doomed---the Thames is ALREADY flooding London on high tides. The Brits have built tidal locks to protect London from high tides but they won't stop rising sea levels. Much of central London will be severely impacted in a couple of decades and in 50-100 years it will be abandoned.

Meanwhile London today remains great----the old "half-price" ticket booth in Picadilly Square for last minute tickets to West End shows is gone, but you can still get them on line. I went to four shows in four nights, including performances at the grand old Royal Drury theatre, the new Sam Wannaker theatre at the Globe ---an exact replica of an Elizabethan indoor theatre right down to doing the Shakespeare plays with only candles for illumination, and a tiny theatre slotted in under the elevated metro tracks at the Embankment metro station.

The best play I saw was "Lady in White"---a little known Andrew Lloyd Weber play with wonderful music and lyrics. But you have to go fast---it was on a limited 6 week only engagement and closes in a couple of weeks.

London is doomed ---sea level rise caused by global warming will flood it. If you want to see it again, go soon.
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 18 Jan 2018, 14:47:13

P - I appreciate London's predicament. But having spent the first 22 years of my life living below sea level in a town (New Orleans) that is subject to daily tides as well as occasional storm surges my sympathy can only extend so far. New Orleans began addressing such a problem over 100 years ago when it lacked the tech and resources London has today. And don't mention Katrina: the problem was caused by a lack of maintenance of the levee system. Maintenance that could have been done with the hundreds of $millions the city was given. Monies that were spent by the city's politicians on non-essential projects. Speaking of which: does the city/country have mucho $millions earmarked for such non-essential projects over the next 4 or 5 decades?

Yes; it would be great if coastal communities didn't have to spend monies to protect themselves from sea level rise. But that's not the reality of the situation. That's a choice for them to make TODAY. Just as it was for New Orleans a century ago.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 18 Jan 2018, 14:59:06

ROCKMAN wrote:P - I appreciate London's predicament. But having spent the first 22 years of my life living below sea level in a town (New Orleans) that is subject to daily tides as well as occasional storm surges my sympathy can only extend so far. New Orleans began addressing such a problem over 100 years ago when it lacked the tech and resources London has today. And don't mention Katrina: the problem was caused by a lack of maintenance of the levee system. Maintenance that could have been done with the hundreds of $millions the city was given. Monies that were spent by the city's politicians on non-essential projects. Speaking of which: does the city/country have mucho $millions earmarked for such non-essential projects over the next 4 or 5 decades?

Yes; it would be great if coastal communities didn't have to spend monies to protect themselves from sea level rise. But that's not the reality of the situation. That's a choice for them to make TODAY. Just as it was for New Orleans a century ago.

I hate to tell you this, but New Orleans is doomed as well.

The flooding caused by the ongoing sea level rise will be much greater then that we've seen in the past. New Orleans is a grand old city with a fabulous history, but soon flooding will become more and more frequent and severe and New Orleans will be mostly abandoned in 50-100 years.

You are lucky to live near such grand place. It will be sad when it is abandoned.........and that should happen shortly after Galveston is abandoned in your neck of the woods.

We're just about a lock for +1 m of sea level rise....more likely we'll see 2-4 m by 2100.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Re: New York City Will Divest Pension Funds from Fossil Fuel

Unread postby jupiters_release » Sat 03 Feb 2018, 23:16:22

Outcast_Searcher wrote:Hell, currently, the NYT regales us with many tales of NYC subway woes -- which could ALL be fixed if the residents would:

1). Be willing to PAY ticket costs that reflect the cost of a top quality subway system, and MAINTAINING it.

Ticket prices increased by 100% from 2006 to 2016. If only rents hadn't increased by 150 to 200% in the same time period. :|
Do not seek the truth, only cease to cherish opinions.
jupiters_release
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Previous

Return to Medical Issues Forum