Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Florida, Hurricanes, Elections

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Florida, Hurricanes, Elections

Unread postby MD » Thu 06 Oct 2016, 02:13:42

There's a real possibility that Florida's east coast could be so devastated in the next couple days, that sufficient reason will emerge to delay or suspend November's elections.

A hurricane eye traveling north positioned right over the gulf stream, is... apocalyptic. Just can't think of a better word, despite its continual overuse.

Think of it as a high powered broom sweeping up beach, high rise, strip mall, electrical infrastructure, grocery store, water supply, and disrupting a twelve-mile-wide three-hundred-mile long density of population that is one of the highest on the planet.

8O :?: :?

I live on the west coast, and I am truly concerned about what may occur here, as populations flow west looking for relief, food, help.

I'm praying like hell that storm changes course real quick.
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Re: Florida, Hurricanes, Elections

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 06 Oct 2016, 03:38:16

Are you ready to take in hurricane refugees if it comes to that?
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Ibon » Thu 06 Oct 2016, 06:36:13

we walked this morning at 5:30am and looked at all the palms, mango trees, oaks, all so still and trimmed, the homes all so orderly, the clean street quiet and peaceful. with the full knowledge that in the next 12 hours all hell breaks loose

Gotta go get the shutters up
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby MD » Thu 06 Oct 2016, 07:08:15

vtsnowedin wrote:Are you ready to take in hurricane refugees if it comes to that?

They're already on their way. I have a number of friends on the other coast.
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 06 Oct 2016, 07:27:54

Best wishes for you and your friends MD!

As for delaying the election, Sandy slammed New Jersey and New York in 2012 and things went along normally. If by some chance Florida/Georgia/South Carolina delay their elections by a month it wouldn't be the first time a Presidential Election took a while to resolve itself. 21st Century 'Merican's are an impatient lot, but the law of the land allows things to be unresolved for several months if necessary.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 06 Oct 2016, 07:40:54

I can't see the elections being delayed. It will make a mess of the beach front and the barrier islands for sure.

Ibon, good luck. We have some friends, a young family, who live on a sail boat in Canaverial.

This will test your idea about housing prices. My prediction is an initial drop and rebound within 18 months with a building spree. Hope I'm right for your sake.

As for us, the predicted path is far enough out to sea to not effect our boat much. So no mad 12 hour trip to NC. WHEW!
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby GHung » Thu 06 Oct 2016, 09:49:16

I have in-laws on the east coast (Ft. Lauderdale area and Daytona Beach) who all say that, since it's been years since a storm like this has hit, many more recent arrivals to Florida are pretty clueless about dealing with these things. Many people leaving lawn chairs and other potential 'missiles' outside, and doing useless things like taping the glass in their windows.

Fortunately, our state (NC) looks like it'll be spared the worst this time, though flooding is still a concern. These storms always cost my state a lot, especially rebuilding roads and other infrastructure over and over. When will we get real and leave these coasts and barrier islands to nature? Inevitable at some point. Meanwhile, here in western NC, we're in the worst drought in a decade and wish this storm would come here into the mountains to die like they used to do every few years. It's one reason they built the TVA system; flood control.

As for the elections, much of the Democrat base in Florida is on the east/southeast coast. If the elections are delayed there, I'm sure the GOP will cry foul, and, if not, the DNC will probably bitch. Best hopes there's only minor damage.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby MD » Thu 06 Oct 2016, 12:29:33

Hard to say about elections. It depends on how big this "event" turns out to be. Normally a hurricane hits the coast and drives inland, and the wind damage then decreases quickly, but not flooding. If this one cruises up just off the coast on the worst possible path... I dunno... we'll see.

As for around here, the school systems are closing tomorrow. More for use as evac centers than storm related concerns, at this point.

It's cloudy and breezy right now in the sarasota area. That's it.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby MD » Thu 06 Oct 2016, 12:55:13

Up thread someone mentioned all the newbies in Florida, which is true. It's been ten years since a major hit, and just a couple months ago, the Sunday paper had an article crowing over how fat our state property insurance fund had grown (we operate a state insurance fund since the last wave drove a bunch of private insurers out of the market).

Lots of noise in the article about "reducing premiums", but I'm sure what was really going on in the State House was a bunch of fat-fingered politicians looking to get their hands on the fund. I hope they haven't had time to do it!

at the time I thought "uhoh... here comes another hit!" dumbass greedy politicians screw us over time and again...

oh and right now there are chainsaws and tree trimmers working all around. I live in a neighborhood of crackers. We'll be fine.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Thu 06 Oct 2016, 17:49:33

MD wrote:oh and right now there are chainsaws and tree trimmers working all around. I live in a neighborhood of crackers. We'll be fine.

When I was a kid in South Louisiana, we used to love hurricanes. We got to make as much extra spending money as we could stand. Literally daylight to dark, working our young asses off, sometimes for a couple of weeks. I suppose it is still that way.
"It don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more"
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

Unread postby careinke » Thu 06 Oct 2016, 18:58:06

Hawkcreek wrote:
MD wrote:oh and right now there are chainsaws and tree trimmers working all around. I live in a neighborhood of crackers. We'll be fine.

When I was a kid in South Louisiana, we used to love hurricanes. We got to make as much extra spending money as we could stand. Literally daylight to dark, working our young asses off, sometimes for a couple of weeks. I suppose it is still that way.

Probably not, that would be considered child endangerment nowadays.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby JuanP » Thu 06 Oct 2016, 20:08:36

Reporting from Miami Beach I am glad to say that we have been spared down here. It looks like things might be worse further up North. We do have a lot of new people here in Florida who have absolutely no clue how bad something like this could be. I have met people who had no emergency supplies, had no evacuation plans, and no idea what to do. We still have power and water in Miami.

I spent two days pruning and cleaning at the community gardens and urban organic farm where I grow food and have my beehives and helping neighbors to prepare. I expect to spend the next three days helping people to recover from the damage. Today I spent the day kitesurfing and surfing. We had the best waves in more than 25 years in Miami Beach.

Haiti was devastated as usual. Cuba had some damage but no deaths. The Dominican Republic experienced some serious flooding. The next two days will be the most dangerous for Floridians. Stay safe!
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 06 Oct 2016, 22:06:19

If people aren't physically prevented from voting, do you think that this could move voting patterns more in the Dem direction?

Dems are seen more as the type of leaders who care about people suffering from things like this, while Repugs are more like 'strong man' types, telling people to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps.

In situations like this, most people appreciate the former more than the latter.

Florida is one of the real toss ups--recent polling has Clinton up, but only by a statistically insignificant 1% or so, iirc.

So even a slight shift in voting patterns could make a difference.

It would take a bigger swing in attitudes to pull GA and South Carolina away from the dark side, errr, out of the Trump camp. :)

Meanwhile, an unusually blunt alarm from WeatherChannel: https://twitter.com/weatherchannel/stat ... 7012382723

"This is like no storm in the record books! We are concerned about people staying in mandatory evacuation areas. This is a mistake. This is not hype, this is not hyperbole, and I am not kidding. I can not overstate the danger of this storm..."
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby mmasters » Thu 06 Oct 2016, 22:36:30

The east coast is where all the dems live, this is pro for trump
mmasters
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 06 Oct 2016, 22:53:52

m, your forgot the West Coast, and the Upper Midwest, and Texas seems to be in the process of turning blue, and most of the southern Rocky states--CO, NM, Nevada, Arizona may be turning...

In other words, all that is reliably Repug is mostly the most backwards parts of the country--Appalachia, the 'shallow South (LA, MS, AL...), the Plains states and the northern Rockies. That these are also among the least populated states in the union does not bode well for the Drumpf.

But back to the 'cane:

"Broward and Miami-Dade counties, the most populous in Florida, both appeared likely to avoid the brunt of the storm. he National Weather Service on Thursday night downgraded the hurricane warning in Broward to a tropical storm warning."

So maybe our Ibon will come away relatively unscathed after all. (He's in Ft. Lauderdale in Broward Co, iirc.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... 041ce82785
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Ibon » Thu 06 Oct 2016, 23:07:16

dohboi wrote:m, your forgot the West Coast, and the Upper Midwest, and Texas seems to be in the process of turning blue, and most of the southern Rocky states--CO, NM, Nevada, Arizona may be turning...

In other words, all that is reliably Repug is mostly the most backwards parts of the country--Appalachia, the 'shallow South (LA, MS, AL...), the Plains states and the northern Rockies. That these are also among the least populated states in the union does not bode well for the Drumpf.

But back to the 'cane:

"Broward and Miami-Dade counties, the most populous in Florida, both appeared likely to avoid the brunt of the storm. he National Weather Service on Thursday night downgraded the hurricane warning in Broward to a tropical storm warning."

So maybe our Ibon will come away relatively unscathed after all. (He's in Ft. Lauderdale in Broward Co, iirc.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... 041ce82785

We didn't even get a gust of wind over 30mph. Will take down the shutters tomorrow and clean up a few leaves in the pool. We were spared and Mathew continues to stay off shore as it moves up the coast.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby jedrider » Thu 06 Oct 2016, 23:43:30

Our election certainly appears to be a NATURAL disaster in the making. It will be like a one-two punch.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 06 Oct 2016, 23:52:11

Very good to hear, Ibon!! You 'lived to fight another day"!

Let us know as you hear any local news/reactions we may not be privy to.

Just curious if this near brush with disaster has made you even more eager to offload your Florida property, and if you have any insights into what others in the are might be thinking along those lines.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 07 Oct 2016, 02:14:32

Dohboi you stated that it was past time for low lying coastal areas to be evacuated. But the logistics and expenses would be tremendous. I see more of an attrition scenario whereby individually people just make the decision to pack up and leave. A coordinated statewide undertaking to evacuate in a state like Florida is still not a scenario I see happening soon
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby MD » Fri 07 Oct 2016, 03:18:36

So far communities from Miami up through West Palm Beach have been spared from "apocalyptic" outcomes.

The storm is staying far enough out to sea to avoid any major damage except to beaches. The Army Corp will be receiving urgent pleas for restoration projects starting about next week.

Daytona, Jax, and those states up north will receive the worst of it, and O-bummer has unleashed FEMA, but at least for now it looks like little chance of reason to mess with the upcoming.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Next

Return to North America Discussion