Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Excellent Database information site.

Say hello, learn how to register, read the rules, get staff announcements.

Excellent Database information site.

Unread postby Gazzatrone » Wed 20 Jun 2007, 19:12:31

Came across this beauty of a website that uses open databases of information, i.e it pulls in info from excel and the like and puts them into cool animated graphs.

Iwouldn't know what to do with an excel spreadsheet if it came andslapped me in the face so
gapminder looks to be a brilliant solution. This should be loved and adored by all the statisticians on here, maybe Peak Oil info can be submitted as well.
THE FUTURE IS HISTORY!
Gazzatrone
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Excellent Database information site.

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 25 Jun 2007, 04:32:55

This is all well and good, but I wouldn't use it too much, better to learn how to do it yourself isn't it? Streatch your mind and all that?
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Gazzatrone » Mon 25 Jun 2007, 08:51:41

Tanada wrote:This is all well and good, but I wouldn't use it too much, better to learn how to do it yourself isn't it? Streatch your mind and all that?

Well I know the site hasn't been going, in relative internet terms, for a long time. The more data they receive the better the site will beas well I imagine. I got onto that site from watching a you tube of the video conference, and the creators themselves do stress that average datas don't make for the best, but for instant trends when arguing a case, then it is a great one stop shop.

Plus the animations are cool - oooooo pictures that move.

Also the sheer amount of variables you get, even with the data they have is mindblowing. Mess around with it and you get an understanding of how fucked we are as a race without needing to look at energy consumption. Hopefully as I have asked, they start looking into oil consumption. I mean that's a site on its own.

With regards to oil and Gapminder, for those coming new into Peak Oil, those cool animations could be the very thing that scares the bejesus out of anyone.

I think dropping a PO slanted email might go some distance as well.

With regard to stretching the mind. Weren't computers designed for the very thing this represents, i.e collection and utilisation of vast amounts of data. The idea that you can stick a bunch of XLS files into it and you get a graphic representation is amazing. If it opens the mind to further investigation and understanding of a subject, is that not a good thing?
THE FUTURE IS HISTORY!
Gazzatrone
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 25 Jun 2007, 18:04:16

Gazzatrone wrote:With regard to stretching the mind. Weren't computers designed for the very thing this represents, i.e collection and utilisation of vast amounts of data. The idea that you can stick a bunch of XLS files into it and you get a graphic representation is amazing. If it opens the mind to further investigation and understanding of a subject, is that not a good thing?

Uhm, I was referring to the fact that XLS has a nifty graphing function built in which is easy to use with a very small amount of effort.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Gazzatrone » Mon 25 Jun 2007, 20:19:42

Tanada wrote:
Gazzatrone wrote:With regard to stretching the mind. Weren't computers designed for the very thing this represents, i.e collection and utilisation of vast amounts of data. The idea that you can stick a bunch of XLS files into it and you get a graphic representation is amazing. If it opens the mind to further investigation and understanding of a subject, is that not a good thing?

Uhm, I was referring to the fact that XLS has a nifty graphing function built in which is easy to use with a very small amount of effort.

I should have mentioned that I live in a world of Photoshop and other media packages. Databasing is not my bag so to speak. took me 3 hours to try and make a home economy planning spreadsheet. Pen and Paper and the flick of a ruler are just as good. Graphs that move by themselves. Now your talking!
THE FUTURE IS HISTORY!
Gazzatrone
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Welcome