Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

European Union falling apart

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Beginning of the End for the EU?

Unread postby AgentR11 » Thu 23 Jun 2016, 23:31:17

should have had some in cash if you were concerned; there should be some BUY's in that pile of red.

First rule of buy for one, sell for two.

BUY FOR ONE!
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 23 Jun 2016, 23:50:10

The "stay" side was waaaaay ahead until Obama went to the UK and told them how to vote or else. Obama threatened the Brits w cutting off their trade if they didn't vote the way he told them

There's a reason why US presidents shouldn't interfere in the internal politics of other countries-----they don't like it. Not surprisingly the Brits didn't like being threatened by Obama

The "leave" side shot up In the polling starting the day Ibana opened his pie hole.

Count the Brexit and the death of the EU as another part of obamas legacy.
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ennui2 » Thu 23 Jun 2016, 23:54:12

Plantagenet wrote:The "stay" side was waaaaay ahead until Obama

Another day, another Planty post blaming Obama for something. Really, you should find a doctor who can scoop out the errant bundle of neurons responsible for this nervous tic of yours.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 23 Jun 2016, 23:54:40

ITV News says Leave to win the EU referendum

ITV News says Leave is to win the historic referendum on the UK's membership of the EU. Ukip Leader Nigel Farage said "dawn is breaking on an independent UK."

The pound fell to its lowest level in 31 years as Leave edged ahead

Nigel Farage told supporters that June 23 should go down as "our independence day"

Eighty-four Eurosceptic Tory MPs signed a letter calling on David Cameron to continue as prime minister whatever the result of the referendum

http://www.itv.com/news/story/2016-06-24/itv-news-says-leave-to-win-the-eu-referendum/
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Fri 24 Jun 2016, 00:31:13

T - The fat lady has yet to sing but the leavers are getting close: watching BBC live right now and they are projecting a 52% to 48% leave win. That's with 355 districts out of 382 counted. They need 16.6 million votes to win and they are at 15.9 million now with stay at 14.8 million.

I wonder if the same folks who predicted the leavers to lose also predict Trump will lose? LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Fri 24 Jun 2016, 00:34:32

The pound dropped below $1.35 for the first time since 1985. The currency fell 11% and was on course for its biggest one-day fall ever. It was down against all major world currencies.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Fri 24 Jun 2016, 01:13:01

Cog - Sounds like a big boost for exporters. of British produced goods. The price for my new Land Rover should look even better now. Might go with the Jag instead. LOL. OTOH the US companies that exported $56 billion of their products to Britain in 2015 might be taking a bit of a hit now that their cost to the Brits just increased.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby jesus_of_suburbia » Fri 24 Jun 2016, 01:20:04

Sorry that this is probably a stupid question, but with all the calamity it's hard to get a level-headed opinion. Is what's going on in the financial markets right now just people moving to safety to see how this sorts out, or is this like some 2008 "the world economy is going to implode"-type event? It looks a really scary, but I know what happened back then was brought upon by different circumstances. Again, that might a dumb question, but I am a pessimist and would like to know.
jesus_of_suburbia
Peat
Peat

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Fri 24 Jun 2016, 02:08:08

Jesus - I'm certainly not an expert in such global matters But if you're asking if the Brits leaving the EU is good or bad news? Easy answer: yes. LOL. IOW it derpends who you're talking about. If you export British products the fall of the pound is great news: your products just became much more competitive with foreign companies. But if you're a British consumer that buys a lot of imported items you'll get an inflation hit.

So take time one country to compare: the USA. But maybe its a wash with respect to trade: we export about $58 billion pervyear to the Brits but import everyday about the same amount.

And now on the BBC there's as much or more concern being expressed about the future of the EU then England.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby sjn » Fri 24 Jun 2016, 02:09:38

We're in a world of hurt. I think were're going to see a massive dislocation in the bond markets, and lots of unwinding. Medium sized businesses here are in a lot of trouble, it was apparently unappreciated here how virtually every non-multinational, operates at the European Single Market level. On a much more individual level, my wife (who some of you know is Dutch) is taking it very personally.
sjn
Elite
Elite

Unread postby careinke » Fri 24 Jun 2016, 02:33:44

Well the Asian markets were not very impressed.

http://money.cnn.com/data/world_markets/asia/
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 24 Jun 2016, 02:46:36

ennui2 wrote:
Plantagenet wrote:The "stay" side was waaaaay ahead until Obama threatened the Brits...

another Plant post blaming Obama.

Another ennui2y post that shows his complete ignorance of the world.

------------------------

OK--you do know that Obama went to the UK before the Brexit vote, don't you?

So --- what actually happened when Obama went to the UK and threatened the Brits?

The "leave" side went way up the polls.

The surge for "leave" in the UK occurred right after Obama made his dumb threats. The jump in support for "leave" was so dramatic that British politicians who favored "leave" joked that obama should come back to the UK and make more threats.

pro-brexit-leader-jokes-keep-sending-obama-over-after-surge-polls

Brexit leaders are thrilled President Barack Obama came out against them, because they are seeing a bounce in the polls.....

Banks criticized Obama for his recent trip to London, where he threatened that leaving the European Union would cause the U.K. to “be in the back of the queue,” in terms of trade.....

“He basically said if you leave the European Union you’ll go to the back of the trade queue,” Banks said. “Number one, we don’t particularly like being threatened in our home doorstep. Number two, everyone was slightly confused why he used the word queue and not line. It led to a lot of discussion whether he had just been given it to read. So I think he was briefed obviously by the British government, and it was a favor.”
“But since his appearance polls have actually gone in the other direction,” Banks added. “We need to hear more from him, really. Send him back for another go, we’d be delighted to see him again.”

Look at the poll numbers. The "leave" side was waaaay behind but it surged ahead starting the day after Obama's visited the UK and threatened the Brits with being "put in the back of the queue" if they didn't vote the way he was telling them to vote. The poll numbers show this clearly---What part of the numbers don't you understand?

Get it now?

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 24 Jun 2016, 03:37:16

Having few ales here too mate. I never liked the sneakiness involved in coopting the people into submitting to beurocratic unelected government at all, let alone by foreigners. It damned sure appears the morons in Brussels have crunched the numbers to create the politics which allow millions of new people arriving at random. I don't know what the answers are longer term, the UK is already vastly overpopulated, incapable of food independence. EU is going to fail, because the model gives too much power to unelected, unaccountable to the public, who's duty is to equalize equations which just don't work. If Europe is going to have some 3rd world countries, so be it. The whole dream of bringing the whole lot German standards was always absurd to anyone who groks resource economics. Anyway cheers Gaz ;)
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby sjn » Fri 24 Jun 2016, 03:48:10

:roll: SeaGypsy, I'm glad collapse of the UK economy, and probably disintegration of the EU makes you happy. The EU is/was certainly flawed, but non-democratic? I certainly voted for an MEP to represent me, not that I have ever been on the winning side of a vote! :roll: The Council of Ministers is appointed by the National Governments [too much power for the member governments!], and to that degree there is a non-democratic aspect, but the parliament is elected.

Gasmon isn't really following through the ramifications of what has just happened. He's jubilant about his team winning, and has an emotional attachment to ideas of patriotism, sovereignty, national identity etc. I'm not attacking him, he will have plenty time to reflect once the celebrations are over and he's out of work.
sjn
Elite
Elite

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 24 Jun 2016, 03:53:20

I'm going to wager you are wrong. I bet Gaz would too. We are going to have to wait & see.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby sjn » Fri 24 Jun 2016, 03:58:32

SeaGypsy wrote:I'm going to wager you are wrong. I bet Gaz would too. We are going to have to wait & see.

Would you accept that wager denominated in Sterling?
sjn
Elite
Elite

Unread postby EdwinSm » Fri 24 Jun 2016, 04:14:18

Will the people who voted for "Independence" for the UK support Scotland voting for Independence?

As a UK citizen living in another EU country, this will make life more complicate for me - And I was denied a vote :(

Maybe the break up of the EU will give some clues as to how the USA might fall apart some time after the effects of peak oil start to hit hard. :twisted:
EdwinSm
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 24 Jun 2016, 04:49:09

The USA is a natural union, just it should also contain Canada & Mexico, probably everything north of the Panama canal. It has been a long time since the Anglo Americans did war with Spanish or French. My point is a full Union of North America would be a lot less complicated than the EU. Besides which, the fact of countries existing is largely a figment of the oil age, doomed in the long run.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

PreviousNext

Return to Europe Discussion