Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Europe Fuel Shortage Reports

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Europe Fuel Shortage Reports

Unread postby Gazzatrone » Wed 16 May 2007, 20:26:01

Should have taken a photograph, will see what I can do if the price has stayed the same, but saw at a Tesco metro near me.

Unleaded - 93.9p litre
Diesel - 93.9p litre
THE FUTURE IS HISTORY!
Gazzatrone
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby thor » Thu 17 May 2007, 09:09:02

Euro95 (unleaded) is on the rise in Holland, but diesel appears to be stable:

Euro95 - 1.513 euro/litre
Diesel - 1.067 euro/litre

1.513 (Euros per litre) = 7.761 U.S. dollars per US gallon
thor
Coal
Coal

Unread postby EndOfGrowth » Thu 17 May 2007, 09:18:19

Unleaded is now .96p per litre and diesel is .95p at a garage just outside my home town in Derbyshire in the UK
EndOfGrowth
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Permanently_Baffled » Thu 17 May 2007, 14:56:53

My local ASDA and Tesco are both at 93.9p for unleaded and Diesel , never seen that before!

Its lucky these superstores are local, if prices keep on rising at this rate I will be walking to them for my shopping! :)
Permanently_Baffled
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby EndOfGrowth » Fri 18 May 2007, 04:56:49

Permanently_Baffled wrote:My local ASDA and Tesco are both at 93.9p for unleaded and Diesel , never seen that before!

Its lucky these superstores are local, if prices keep on rising at this rate I will be walking to them for my shopping! :)

My local Tesco's is all downhill on the way back, maybe I'll just stand on the back of my trolley and freewheel home :razz:
EndOfGrowth
Lignite
Lignite

Re: North American Fuel Shortage Reports

Unread postby EndOfGrowth » Sun 20 May 2007, 09:34:43

How long do you guys think it will be before we see shortages in the UK?
EndOfGrowth
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby vision-master » Sun 20 May 2007, 09:42:04

Right NOW! :razz:

vision-master

Unread postby Wiltshire_rules » Sun 20 May 2007, 12:22:01

EndOfGrowth wrote:How long do you guys think it will be before we see shortages in the UK?

I have just paid 99.9 pence per litre for diesel fuel, the highest price I have ever actually had to pay. (About eighteen months ago fuel stations were posting prices of 104 pence per litre or so for a few days.) No queue, no shortage, no hassle.

I drive as economically as I can, so that's GBP 70 (about USD 130) for 800 miles - a month's driving.
Chris P

"Far away is close at hand in images of elsewhere"
- The Master of Paddington
Wiltshire_rules
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Permanently_Baffled » Sun 20 May 2007, 14:57:00

EndOfGrowth wrote:How long do you guys think it will be before we see shortages in the UK?

I don't expect shortages for a number of years yet - I expect to eventually be made unemployed and driving will simply be unaffordable :(

Diesel still at 93.9p here....

My local Tesco's is all downhill on the way back, maybe I'll just stand on the back of my trolley and freewheel home

lol - good idea!
Permanently_Baffled
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby EndOfGrowth » Sun 20 May 2007, 15:28:21

Permanently_Baffled wrote:

I don't expect shortages for a number of years yet - I expect to eventually be made unemployed and driving will simply be unaffordable :(

Diesel still at 93.9p here....

My local Tesco's is all downhill on the way back, maybe I'll just stand on the back of my trolley and freewheel home

lol - good idea!

Just seen diesel and unleaded @ 99p at my semi-rural local garage
EndOfGrowth
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby EndOfGrowth » Sun 20 May 2007, 15:44:52

vision-master wrote:Right NOW! :razz:

lol!
EndOfGrowth
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Permanently_Baffled » Sun 20 May 2007, 15:53:05

There is a 1.25p increase in duty due in October - I wonder if that will get delayed again.....hmm....

On the other hand , if its £1.50 a litre , who the smeg will notice ! lol
Permanently_Baffled
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby EndOfGrowth » Sun 20 May 2007, 16:03:51

If we keep exporting to the US the rate we have been, I reckon we'll see unleaded and diesel crack the £1.00 per litre barrier in next 2-3weeks.
EndOfGrowth
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Twilight » Sun 20 May 2007, 17:16:47

At the steady rate the unleaded average has been growing the last two months (just over 0.1p per litre per day), I would say 30-40 days. However, Gordon Brown's formal appointment as PM at that very moment will weigh heavily on the export policy. He will not want to be associated with a fuel price row in his first months in office, let alone shortages. £1.00 per litre is not harmful on its own, but is certainly headline-grabbing. Therefore I expect UK exports to the US to fall back at the end of June.

How this would affect the US, I don't know, but importing their supply crisis by selling our stocks would be madness for a new prime minister to allow to happen. Especially as the DTI monthly statistics would tell the whole sordid story three months later.
Twilight
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 21 May 2007, 03:48:00

Twilight wrote:At the steady rate the unleaded average has been growing the last two months (just over 0.1p per litre per day), I would say 30-40 days. However, Gordon Brown's formal appointment as PM at that very moment will weigh heavily on the export policy. He will not want to be associated with a fuel price row in his first months in office, let alone shortages. £1.00 per litre is not harmful on its own, but is certainly headline-grabbing. Therefore I expect UK exports to the US to fall back at the end of June.

How this would affect the US, I don't know, but importing their supply crisis by selling our stocks would be madness for a new prime minister to allow to happen. Especially as the DTI monthly statistics would tell the whole sordid story three months later.

Fascinating data thanx for the DTI link.

Turns out from that data the UK isn't in quite as bad shape as I feared, but things are still not good.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby PWALPOCO » Mon 21 May 2007, 20:13:15

I dont think we are going to see anything we havent seen before here in the UK , just that everything seems to be happening sooner in the year than usual.

Every summer in the business section of the news theres generally a comment that oil , or petrol prices have risen a little while the US Summer driving season is underway .... only this time the rises seem to have come much sooner.

My local stations are at around 98p for Unleaded, this is a little higher than other places in the UK , but the offset is typical. The last time I remember it this high was late last summer after oil spiked up towards $80 and all the aggro in the middle east was brewing.

I suspect that as we approach July and August things will start to bite , I dont think we will get shortages but I think itll be a shock to the system as £1-00/litre signs become very common across the country.

No doubt this will knock on to the cost of transported goods and push inflation even higher , it may even put more pressure on the housing market as commuting to work becomes less popular due to rising driving costs.

Paul
All that it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
PWALPOCO
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby EndOfGrowth » Tue 22 May 2007, 05:35:58

PWALPOCO wrote: it may even put more pressure on the housing market as commuting to work becomes less popular due to rising driving costs.

Paul

Hopefully :)
EndOfGrowth
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby untothislast » Tue 22 May 2007, 06:46:37

As long as the consumer chain continues to believe that fuel price spikes are purely down to temporary upsets - such as regional conflict, pipeline downtimes, and so forth - then society will continue to amble along as normal. PO rebuttal centres around the repeated claim that: 'there's plenty of oil left in the ground' which is very true, but of course there inevitably comes the point where it becomes impractical or uneconomic to extract - and therefore worthless.

What the mainstream press won't be reporting, or commenting on - and therefore won't be making any sort of impact on the collective consciousness - are those nuggets of information such as Stuart Staniford's comprehensive analysis of N. Ghawar depletion rates (see: The Oil Drum); lack of new investment in refinery installations (hmmm, why? we wonder), falling oilfield discovery rates; and the toll which processing coarser crude oils is taking on existing refinery infrastructure. The investment community does take note of all these little fragments of information, and when a useful long-term picture starts emerging, it mobilises its money accordingly. When that starts to happen, the economic effects can be unpredictable and catastrophic.

At that point, the general public begins to fully comprehend the ramifications of what's actually going on, and goes ga-ga . Which is why no government is in any rush to usher in any serious transitional planning for what's to come.

In short then, people will grudgingly continue to pay whatever price is posted at the pumps, because they have absolutely no idea that this is part of the long spiral of decline in liquid fuels supply, and not just another historical blip. How long the government can stave off the day when it has to confront the issue in a consultative capacity, remains to be seen. Can't be longer than a couple of years though, especially given the serious decline in revenue to the Exchequer, from indigenous oil and gas fields markedly tailing off.
untothislast
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby fluffy » Wed 23 May 2007, 06:52:11

Twilight wrote:How this would affect the US, I don't know, but importing their supply crisis by selling our stocks would be madness for a new prime minister to allow to happen. Especially as the DTI monthly statistics would tell the whole sordid story three months later.

This would be correct, apart from the fact that the Labour government seems keener on serving the interests of the US government than its own people.. at the rate they are going, they'll be sending people out to siphon people's tanks to send to the US..

There is also the faith in markets (And the consequent belief that governments are incapable of doing anything at all) that actually seems more developed in the UK than the US in areas such as this.

Currently at 97.9p/litre here in Bath.. do I take the plunge and fill up the Pug now..? Given the size of the tank, that usually provokes a local supply crisis on it's own..
fluffy
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby snowhope » Thu 24 May 2007, 09:03:15

Unleaded Petrol in a large petrol station in Belfast, N Ireland selling at 98.9ppl.

Diesel selling at 97.9ppl.

Petrol (Gas) now more expensive than Diesel!

Can you guys over there in the US cut back on your driving a bit please, as you are importing too much of OUR oil! ;)
snowhope
Peat
Peat

PreviousNext

Return to Europe Discussion