Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Energy saving amplifier

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

Energy saving amplifier

Unread postby Ayoob » Mon 20 Nov 2006, 00:37:25

I picked up a little tiny battery operated amplifier to replace my former behemoth of an amp, the mighty Hafler DH 500, a 250 watt per channel amp that sucked so much juice that every light on the circuit blipped out for a second when I turned it on. And let me tell you that these 250 watts were not the BS JVC 250 watts, these are pure, American-made, no BS mid-80's clean watts per channel. This amp used to make the windows in my apartment pulse out on every kick drum hit.

I saw a link on this forum quite some time ago to this little plastic bullshit amp and I bought two. I figured if it ever comes to this, I better have two. Well, my Hafler crapped out last weekend and I put this one in its place and have I been amazed.

I have to hit the bass boost button on my preamp to get this one up to a reasonable sound, but once that's done it has completely replaced the sixty pound 500 watt amp I'm leaving behind. I am a satisfied customer.

Here it is. Runs on 8 AA batteries or one wall wart.

http://www.si-technologies.com/frontEnd ... oductID=18
Ayoob
Expert
Expert

Re: Energy saving amplifier

Unread postby Dvanharn » Mon 20 Nov 2006, 03:53:34

Tripath's Class-T amplifier chips are an incredible combination of sound quality and electronic efficiency. I own a 30wpc Teac DR-L700 Class-T DVD/Receiver the matching 700 series 3-channel Class-T amplifier. I also use one of the 10wpc Sonic Impact "T-Amps" like yours. Just last night I ordered one of the tiny little Class-T kits from 41hz.com. I plan to power it with a 12v sealed "gel-cell" lead-acid battery, and use a solar charging system (PV panel and charge controller) for the battery.

I am a life-long audio enthusiast, and have gone from tubes to solid state and back to tubes before I discovered the Class-T amps. I was one of the original founders of AudioAsylum.com, the most active audio forum sites on the internet, and moderated several tube audio forums there for a couple of years. I set up the website tripathpower.com, to showcase the company, although I have not updated it for over a year as the company faltered. If any of you are interested in reading more about this technology, Google "Class-T amplifier".

I invested in Tripath Technology about five years ago because I thought their patented power-management technology would be in great demand due to coming energy price increases related to peak oil and gas. There is en excellent discussion of Tripathi and his company here - scroll down to get to the Tripath discussion.

I rode the stock from 90 cents to nearly $3 and then back down. Then it rose to $8.50 and I sold more than enough to cover my original investment, but let $350,000 slip through my hands when it quickly began to slide, and eventually went down to 5 cents after it was delisted from NASDAQ. Strangely, the stock price per share (PPS) doubled to 10 cents last Thursday, and then on Friday surged to 18 cents with very high volume 3 million plus shares compared to a daily average of about 180K shares. There has been no news to support the PPS rise, but if the company, after all it's troubles and recent layoffs, reaches break-even in revenue, it may still avoid the bankruptcy that has been threatening to shut it down this year.

What is really exciting about Tripath is that their patented technology could double cell phone and/or laptop computer battery life as well as increase electric motor efficiency. Sadly, the technology, like many promising energy-improving technologies (except for the audio chips) never made it out of the lab - and TI (Texas Instruments) and others have audio chips that are just as efficient, but with lower audio fidelity. And for the mass market, true high fidelity sound is not important. Tripath also stumbled and lost existing business with major companies like Apple Computer and Alpine Car Stereo after initial design wins several years ago.

I hope a Tripath turnaround is imminent, not only for my stock holdings, but for the benefit to society in energy savings. I would be very pleased if I could secure my retirement with a stock that benefits humankind by significantly reducing the demand for electricity.

Dave
Dvanharn
Lignite
Lignite

Return to Conservation & Efficiency