Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Energy Infrastructure Progress Report

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: Energy Infrastructure Progress Report

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 30 Jan 2022, 19:49:22

ROCKMAN wrote:P: "Same thing with oil leasing....the Biden administration just conducted the biggest offshore oil lease sale in US history.."
Rather meaningless.

Not really.

Biden promised to limit oil leasing in order to "keep the oil in the ground" and mitigate carbon emissions and climate change. But those promises are now revealed as lies. The fact that the Biden administration just conducted the largest offshore oil lease sale ever clearly shows that Biden was lying when he promised to limit oil leasing during his administration.

Biden has made a large number of other promises about changing US infrastructure. The fact he is lying about stopping oil leasing raises the question of what else he is lying about when he makes promises about the future of US energy infrastructure.

For instance, consider the rise in US coal consumption during Biden's first year in office. For years BIden and the Ds have promised to reduce US coal consumption, but the inflation and higher energy prices that Joe Biden's policies have created mean that coal is now a cheap energy source, and coal consumption is now increasing in the US as a result.

americans-using-more-coal-this-year-the-first-increase-since-2014

Can we trust Joe Biden's promises to totally transform US energy infrastructure? I think not. US energy infrastructure is changing, but not in the way Biden has been promising

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby yellowcanoe » Mon 31 Jan 2022, 10:50:26

Plantagenet wrote:Biden promised to limit oil leasing in order to "keep the oil in the ground" and mitigate carbon emissions and climate change.

Well he did cancel the Keystone XL pipeline so he is helping Canadians keep their oil in the ground!
"new housing construction" is spelled h-a-b-i-t-a-t d-e-s-t-r-u-c-t-i-o-n.
yellowcanoe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 31 Jan 2022, 12:05:03

Plantagenet wrote: The fact that the Biden administration just conducted the largest offshore oil lease sale ever clearly shows that Biden was lying when he promised to limit oil leasing during his administration.

Sort of like...Mexico paying for the wall? :)
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 31 Jan 2022, 15:29:20

On that Biden lease sale have you read the whole story?
The president signed an executive order in January directing the Secretary of the Interior to halt new oil and natural gas leases on public lands and waters and to begin a thorough review of existing permits for fossil fuel development.

But in June, a federal judge in Louisiana issued a preliminary injunction to block the administration’s suspension and ordered that plans continue for lease sales that were delayed for the Gulf and Alaska waters.

So it is not something Biden wants to do but rather a Trump administration policy they have not been able to stop yet.
Not surprising considering the level of competence his administration has demonstrated this past year.
Now if you were a big oil company would you bother to put in a bid knowing the administration will,if and when it can ,cut the legs out from under you with no refunds at the first opportunity?
Might as well go halfway around the world and bribe a corrupt dictator of some poor but resource rich country and get the Brent price for the results. Your odds of success would be better.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 01 Feb 2022, 00:00:27

vtsnowedin wrote:.... if you were a big oil company would you bother to put in a bid knowing the administration will,if and when it can ,cut the legs out from under you with no refunds at the first opportunity?
Might as well go halfway around the world and bribe a corrupt dictator of some poor but resource rich country and get the Brent price for the results. Your odds of success would be better.

Exactly right.

And thats what Biden himself is doing......yes, he cancelled the XL pipeline from Canada to the USA, but then he turned around and removed the Trump sanctions on the Nordstream pipeline from Russia to Germany, allowing the pipeline to be completed and helping Putin to get energy leverage over Germany. And sooo-prise sooo-prise as soon as the pipeline was completed Putin started the whole Ukraine crisis and sure enough Germany sided with Russia and refused join with the rest of NATO in sending weapons to Ukraine to stop Putin.

Biden is such a stupid man.......he says he is against pipelines, but then it turns out he is for pipelines as long as they are Putin's pipelines.

SHEESH!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 01 Feb 2022, 14:36:30

We have an archive of military/climate change reports here in PO.

In there is one done by the Bundestag something like 8 years ago that noted as CC begins to push Germany will have to pick their “friends” based on the realities of energy supply, not who they like.

With shutting down nuclear plants that day may have come sooner.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 02 Feb 2022, 15:21:10

Newfie wrote:We have an archive of military/climate change reports here in PO.

In there is one done by the Bundestag something like 8 years ago that noted as CC begins to push Germany will have to pick their “friends” based on the realities of energy supply, not who they like.

With shutting down nuclear plants that day may have come sooner.

I wonder what it will take to convince the Germans that shutting down their nukes was a big mistake and reverse their policy either by restarting the plants they have or by building new state of the art plants to replace them or even double the previous capacity? Perhaps a combination of both based, on the condition and safety concerns of the closed plants and the economics of both approaches.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 02 Feb 2022, 16:34:41

All: Go back and read my post again. Accept my numbers or research yourself...it won't take much effort. Have big lease sales or no new lease the end result is the same: very little new oil production coming from those NEW LEASES. I repeat: VERY LITTLE NEW OIL PRODUCTION. For MANY MANY YEARS and thru MULTIPLE POTUS' vvvery few new leases acquired by the industry from the MILLIONS OF ACREAS OFFERED IN MANY LEASE SALES. Again: the data is all readily available from the Feds online. Those offshore lease areas (primarily the Gulf of Mexico) are essentially tapped out. The last surge came from those Deep Water leases in the Gulf of Mexico. But those areas are now also long in the tooth.

Remember the name of this site: PEAK OIL!!! LOL.

All the chatter from both sides about offshore leasing is just smoke being blown up the sheeple asses. And don't count on the media from laying out the facts: it likes the verbal battle from both sides. Gives them very easy headlines. At least I would hope that folks who visit here are smart enough to no be taken in by the BS.

Take my word for it or not. Never hurts my feeling to not be believed by the ignorant masses. LOL. But I worked those offshore lease trends off and on for 41 years until I retired 3 years ago.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Wed 02 Feb 2022, 16:55:33

ROCKMAN wrote:Remember the name of this site: PEAK OIL!!! LOL.

More like Lets Go Brandon.com
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 02 Feb 2022, 18:30:34

ROCKMAN wrote: At least I would hope that folks who visit here are smart enough to no be taken in by the BS.

Seems like the folks who visit here were suckers across the board for 2005 peak oil BS...you figure being wrong made them smarter? Or just more careful which ambulance chaser, twice committed psyche ward refugee or accountant they start salivating over next go round?
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby kublikhan » Thu 06 Oct 2022, 14:50:29

The world’s consumption of coal is set to rise slightly in 2022, taking it back to the record level it reached nearly a decade ago. Based on current economic and market trends, global coal consumption is forecast to rise by 0.7% in 2022 to 8 billion tonnes. This global total would match the annual record set in 2013, and coal demand is likely to increase further next year to a new all-time high.

Worldwide coal consumption rebounded by about 6% in 2021 as the global economy recovered rapidly from the initial shock of the Covid pandemic. That sharp rise contributed significantly to the largest ever annual increase in global energy-related CO2 emissions in absolute terms, putting them at their highest level in history.

Global coal demand is being propped up this year by rising natural gas prices, which have intensified gas-to-coal switching in many countries, as well as economic growth in India. Those factors are being partly offset by slowing economic growth in China and by the inability of some major coal producers to ramp up production.

Demand for coal in India has been strong since the start of 2022 and is expected to rise by 7% for the full year as the country’s economy grows and the use of electricity expands. In China, coal demand is estimated to have declined by 3% in the first half of 2022 as renewed Covid lockdowns in some cities slowed economic growth, but an expected increase in the second half of the year is likely to bring coal consumption for the full year back to the same levels as last year. China and India together consume double the amount of coal as the rest of the world combined, with China alone accounting for more than half the world’s demand.

Coal consumption in the European Union is expected to rise by 7% in 2022 on top of last year’s 14% jump. This is being driven by demand from the electricity sector where coal is increasingly being used to replace gas, which is in short supply and has experienced huge price spikes following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. Several EU countries are extending the life of coal plants scheduled for closure, reopening closed plants or raising caps on their operating hours to reduce gas consumption.

As soaring natural gas prices have made coal more competitive in many markets, international coal prices have risen in turn, hitting three all-time peaks between October 2021 and May 2022. Sanctions and bans on Russian coal following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine have disrupted markets, and issues in other major exporters have contributed to supply shortages. With other coal producers facing constraints in replacing Russian output, prices on coal futures markets indicate that tight market conditions are expected to continue well into next year and beyond.
Global coal demand is set to return to its all-time high in 2022
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 06 Oct 2022, 15:39:58

kublikhan wrote:
The world’s consumption of coal is set to rise slightly in 2022, taking it back to the record level it reached nearly a decade ago. Based on current economic and market trends, global coal consumption is forecast to rise by 0.7% in 2022 to 8 billion tonnes. This global total would match the annual record set in 2013, and coal demand is likely to increase further next year to a new all-time high.

Another failure for the Paris climate accords....another failure for the poorly designed climate policies of the EU and the USA.....another failure for China and India and Russia.

Another failure for the world and its beleaguered climate.

Its all very sad.

I can't even find an iota of joy in that that this is exactly what I expected would happen.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 06 Oct 2022, 15:45:23

Plantagenet wrote:Another failure for the Paris climate accords....another failure for the poorly designed climate policies of the EU and the USA.....another failure for China and India and Russia.

Another failure for the world and its beleaguered climate.

Its all very sad.

Well, to the world sure, but not to you. Any globe trotting going on in the near future? I always love to hear about the travels of the board's own CO2 super emitter.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Mon 17 Oct 2022, 02:57:09

Public ownership of power assets key to smooth shift to renewables, Queensland energy minister says
Government also able to offset impact of higher energy prices globally following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine

Retaining control of its electricity assets has given Queensland an edge over other regions in coordinating and funding the race to decarbonise the economy, the state’s energy minister, Mick de Brenni, says.

Queensland last month unveiled a $62bn plan to rid its power grid of coal by 2036, replacing the generation with 25GW of large-scale wind and solar farms, new transmission lines and two giant pumped hydro plants for storage.

With its dominant ownership position of electricity generation and distribution assets, the government has been able to offset the impact of higher energy prices following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
Rebates of $175 a household will this year total $385m “that would otherwise have gone to overseas shareholders”, de Brenni said.

De Brenni said public ownership of the energy system allowed the state to ensure new large-scale generation, transmission, and storage infrastructure could be built in time, potentially ahead of when ordinary market signals would allow.

“Because Queenslanders chose to keep energy assets in public hands, we have unprecedented control to guide the transformation of our energy system,” he said.

Raised an extra 15 Billion in royalties from miners because of new taxes and the high price of coal just this year too.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... ister-says
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby mousepad » Mon 17 Oct 2022, 07:14:23

That is weird. Weren't you the person who showed (with plenty of studies to back it up) how renewables are so much cheaper than fossil? And weren't you the person who handwaved any study off the table as biased showing that renewables ain't that rosy?
mousepad
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 17 Oct 2022, 09:08:30

Shaved Monkey wrote:Public ownership of power assets key to smooth shift to renewables, Queensland energy minister says
Government also able to offset impact of higher energy prices globally following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine

Retaining control of its electricity assets has given Queensland an edge over other regions in coordinating and funding the race to decarbonise the economy, the state’s energy minister, Mick de Brenni, says.

Queensland last month unveiled a $62bn plan to rid its power grid of coal by 2036, replacing the generation with 25GW of large-scale wind and solar farms, new transmission lines and two giant pumped hydro plants for storage.

With its dominant ownership position of electricity generation and distribution assets, the government has been able to offset the impact of higher energy prices following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
Rebates of $175 a household will this year total $385m “that would otherwise have gone to overseas shareholders”, de Brenni said.

De Brenni said public ownership of the energy system allowed the state to ensure new large-scale generation, transmission, and storage infrastructure could be built in time, potentially ahead of when ordinary market signals would allow.

“Because Queenslanders chose to keep energy assets in public hands, we have unprecedented control to guide the transformation of our energy system,” he said.

Raised an extra 15 Billion in royalties from miners because of new taxes and the high price of coal just this year too.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... ister-says

The history of Nationalized or socialized industries or farms is almost universal failure so good luck to you Aussies with this latest attempt.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby kublikhan » Mon 17 Oct 2022, 12:50:06

mousepad wrote:That is weird. Weren't you the person who showed (with plenty of studies to back it up) how renewables are so much cheaper than fossil?
Nope. I'm the one who posted about rising renewable costs:

kublikhan wrote:we are back in shortage territory, causing material prices and solar PV module costs to rise.

mousepad wrote:And weren't you the person who handwaved any study off the table as biased showing that renewables ain't that rosy?
Nope. I specifically pointed out exactly why I though what you posted was BS and linked to data backing up my claim:

kublikhan wrote:I didn't say bad news equals wrong. Go back and read my first post on this topic. I was correcting the wrong information you posted on wind O&M costs. Wind O&M costs have been falling, not rising.

If you look at figure 7 on page 18 you can see a clear downward trend in OpEx over time. The IEA says the same thing.

I'm also the one who repeatedly said I don't think renewables are a panacea and have issues:

kublikhan wrote:If anything, I would argue the public is a bit drunk on the idea of renewables. 100% renewables sounds great, but I think there are technical problems in such an approach, especially in the short to medium term.
When these guys say "100% renewable energy" what they really mean is "100% renewable electricity". It is misleading. They are not the same thing. Just because some city gets 100% of it's electricity from renewable sources does not mean the city has 100% renewable energy. And just because some small city with a large hydro dam nearby can get all of it's electricity from renewables, that doesn't mean that same approach is viable for the country at large. And even that small city is not truly running on 100% renewable electricity.

But all of this is complicated and requires digging into the weeds of the issues to understand it. The public is not exactly know for doing this. Instead they simply see the strong points of renewables, the evils of fossil fuels, and then start waiving their "100% renewable energy" signs.

kublikhan wrote:Just because I call BS when someone posts lies on renewable energy does not mean I believe renewables to be a panacea. I have posted the opposite many times.

kublikhan wrote:Like I told you before, just because I correct when someone posts BS on renewable energy does not mean I think resource depletion is a non-issue and renewables a panacea. There are real issues with renewable energy.

I did however point out when your sources came from anti-renewable energy lobby groups. And the previous times those same groups posted lies and got wreaked for it.
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby yellowcanoe » Mon 17 Oct 2022, 20:53:52

vtsnowedin wrote:The history of Nationalized or socialized industries or farms is almost universal failure so good luck to you Aussies with this latest attempt.

Hydro rates here in Ontario have skyrocketed since the provincial decided to start privatizing what had been a government owned monopoly (Ontario Hydro). I would agree that in many cases the private sector can operate more efficiently than a government owned entity but that isn't necessarily the case when you are talking about what is inherently a monopoly service.
"new housing construction" is spelled h-a-b-i-t-a-t d-e-s-t-r-u-c-t-i-o-n.
yellowcanoe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Wed 19 Oct 2022, 02:20:41

Labor(Australian Progressive party /centre left) has promised $20bn to “rewire the nation” by accelerating the construction of new electricity transmission links between states and regions as the east coast power grid moves from running predominantly on coal power to renewable energy.
Modelling for Labor by the consultants RepuTex suggested it would help lift renewable energy generation from about 35% to 82% by 2030.

Connecting Tasmania and NSW to off shore wind farms of the coast of Victoria.
Joint federal and state governments

Victoria has six designated onshore renewable energy zones and is home to the country’s most advanced offshore windfarm proposal – a 200-turbine wind development near Gippsland, known as Star of the South.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... ergy-zones
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 19 Oct 2022, 07:16:46

yellowcanoe wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:The history of Nationalized or socialized industries or farms is almost universal failure so good luck to you Aussies with this latest attempt.

Hydro rates here in Ontario have skyrocketed since the provincial decided to start privatizing what had been a government owned monopoly (Ontario Hydro). I would agree that in many cases the private sector can operate more efficiently than a government owned entity but that isn't necessarily the case when you are talking about what is inherently a monopoly service.

Monopolies do need to be regulated to prevent price gouging but those regulations must allow a reasonable profit for operators and their investors. And beside that electricity pricing is like oil in that the last marginal MW or barrel that sets the price as there is no reason a Hydro producer should sell his energy cheaper then an alternative producer. So when the price of Natural gas goes up hydro electric power goes up with it. The average price of electricity in the US is up 21% this year due to the rising price of natural gas.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Technology