Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Energy Information Administration-Today In Energy

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Energy Information Administration-Today In Energy

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 31 Jan 2018, 18:16:17

Source: U.S. Energy Information Administration, based on DrillingInfo Inc. and IHS Markit In 2016, hydraulically fractured horizontal wells accounted for 69% of all oil and natural gas wells drilled in the United States and 83% of the total linear footage drilled. The combination of horizontal drilling and hydraulic fracturing has increased the rate of recent U.S. crude oil, lease condensate, and natural gas production. Hydraulically fractured horizontal wells became the predominant method of new U.S. crude oil and natural gas development in October 2011, when total footage (in linear feet) surpassed all other drilling and completion techniques. The combination of horizontal drilling and hydraulically fracturing has contributed to increases in crude oil and natural gas production in the United States, which are both expected to reach record levels in 2018. Although horizontal drilling has been used for nearly a century, its use as

Hydraulically fractured horizontal wells account for most new oil and natural gas wells
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Energy Information Administration-Today In Energy

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 31 Jan 2018, 18:17:14

I got a good chuckle out of this one...the "unconventional" has been conventional for years.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 31 Jan 2018, 18:24:20

I always laugh when I remember Obama in 2008 making fun of the idea of "drill baby drill" ....and then becoming the drill baby drill president as he presided over the greatest increase in oil well drilling and oil production in US history.

Drill Baby Drill
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 31 Jan 2019, 12:44:20

EIA wrote:In EIA’s Annual Energy Outlook 2019 (AEO2019) Reference case, natural gas plant liquids (NGPL) production grows by 32% between 2018 and 2050 to 5.8 million barrels per day (b/d). Most of the increase in production is in the East, specifically the Appalachian Basin, and the Southwest, specifically the Permian Basin. Given projected crude oil and natural gas prices, producers are expected to focus on liquids-rich plays, and NGPL-to-gas ratios are highest in these areas. In addition, increased petrochemical feedstock demand spurs higher ethane recovery.

NGPLs are light hydrocarbons produced in conjunction with natural gas and recovered at natural gas processing plants. These hydrocarbons include ethane, propane, normal butane, isobutane, and natural gasoline. Crude oil refining also yields these hydrocarbons, but in 2017, U.S. refining accounted for slightly more than 8% of net production, with nearly 92% produced at natural gas processing plants.

NGPLs are primarily used as feedstocks in the bulk chemical industry. Ethane is used almost exclusively for producting petrochemicals. Approximately 40% of propane is used for petrochemicals and the remainder is used for heating, grain drying, and transportation. Approximately 67% of butanes and natural gasoline are used for blending with motor gasoline and fuel ethanol, and the remainder is used for petrochemicals and solvents.

The shares of NGPL components at the national level in the Reference case are relatively stable during the entire projection period (2018 to 2050), with ethane and propane contributing about 42% and 30%, respectively, to the total volume. However, these regions have some differences. In the East region, ethane production accounts for about 50% of the total NGPL production by 2050, compared with less than 40% in 2018.

NGPL production is sensitive to changes in market conditions and resource and technology assumptions. AEO2019 includes cases that reflect alternative oil prices and higher or lower resource and technology assumptions.

In the High Oil Price case, the price of Brent crude oil, in 2018 dollars, is assumed to reach $212 per barrel by 2050, compared with $108 per barrel in the Reference case, and $50 per barrel in the Low Oil Price case. By 2050, NGPL production reaches 6.3 million b/d in the High Oil Price case, compared with 5.8 million b/d in the Reference case. NGPL production in the Low Oil Price case remains relatively flat, averaging less than 5.1 million b/d from 2019 through 2050.

The Resource and Technology cases produce the widest range of NGPL production and are principally defined by assumptions about the estimated ultimate recovery for shale gas, tight gas, and tight oil wells in the Lower 48 states; undiscovered resources in Alaska; and the offshore Lower 48 states. In the High and Low Oil and Gas Resource and Technology cases, these recovery rates are 50% higher or 50% lower, respectively, than in the Reference case. Rates of technological improvement that reduce costs and increase productivity in the United States are also 50% higher or 50% lower than in the Reference case. The higher case also includes additional unidentified tight oil and shale gas resources to reflect the possibility that additional layers or new areas of low-permeability zones will be identified and developed.

In the High Oil and Gas Resource and Technology case, NGPL production reaches a peak of more than 7.7 million b/d by 2045 compared with nearly 4.4 million b/d in 2018. In contrast, in the Low Oil and Gas Resource and Technology, NGPL production declines by 10% between 2018 and 2050, dropping to about 3.9 million b/d by 2050.

Principal contributors: Dana Van Wagener, Warren Wilczewski

LINKY
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 31 Jan 2019, 15:16:34

Even the bearish reference cases are more in line with almost steady production for the next 3 decades. Vastly different than the "oh my God, we're about to run out and have a catastrophe" claims of the short term peakers.

And the bullish cases. Well, the bad news about them is that sort of production would make gasoline and diesel cheap enough (absent CO2 taxes) to keep the rollout of EV's relatively slow.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Return to Peak Oil Discussion