Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Energy Illiteracy; An Obstacle to a Sustainable Future

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

Re: Energy Illiteracy; An Obstacle to a Sustainable Future

Unread postby MonteQuest » Fri 24 Feb 2006, 12:54:43

Doly wrote:
backstop wrote:But until we stop consuming so much more than our share, and impoverishing IIIW people in the process,
why should they forgo the security of having as many grandchildren as possible ?

I hate that philosophy. Why should anybody do anything to improve our global situation, if other people aren't doing their share? That's the way we all go to hell. Don't blame exponential growth or lack of foresight for our problems, what really dooms us is exactly that attitude. "I can see there's a problem, but my neighbour is not doing anything, so I won't do anything either."

I think you need to read backstop's post once more. Because of our wanton consumption and the resultant impoverishment of the 3rd world in the process, in order to have our "social security" they have elected to have numerous off-spring to take care of them in their old age.

It is not an attitude, it is often a cultural necessity born of the inequity in the world.
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby holmes » Fri 24 Feb 2006, 13:03:53

another reason to end ss and all taxes. give me the cash and Ill invest it in an ecological paradigm. and get out of the system.
holmes
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby mommy22 » Fri 24 Feb 2006, 13:21:45

Lest you all think that American middle schools have no interest in teaching kids about energy, at least one is doing something. My 6th grader has been studying the topic of energy all year in various ways. They plan to have a big "energy fair" at the end of March. Children have had to research their topic (my daughter's topic was secondary sources, such as ethanol) and this week, she and a partner have to come up with a game for the fair to teach parents about energy use. I put my suggestion of having a bunch of different foods, and having people guess how much oil/gas is used in the production and transport of such foods. Although, her being a 6th grader, will probably throw my idea out the window, and come up with a better idea.
PS for those who still believe in a heaven/hell concept...we all make our own every day...no matter what the pulpit occupier tells you.
mommy22
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Ludi » Fri 24 Feb 2006, 21:43:38

holmes wrote:another reason to end ss and all taxes. give me the cash and Ill invest it in an ecological paradigm. and get out of the system.

I'm investing in an ecological paradigm and I don't have much money to spare. I can't remember what you do for a living, and I don't know how much you make per year or anything. I was fortunate to be able to save up a small pile of money and buy some land a few years ago. But many people I run across such as here at po.com sound like they earn quite a bit per year, so I'm not sure why they don't have any left over to invest in a sustainable future. It's a matter of priorities. I live very frugally, which of course is part of the ecological paradigm anyway.
Ludi

Unread postby rogerhb » Fri 24 Feb 2006, 21:52:13

This does not surprise me, consider that in 'capitalist' countries children don't get taught:

1. how money works
2. what a private pension involves
3. how debt and loans work

Sure they teach you maths, but not the mechanics of using money unless you actually do an economics course.
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand, wrong answers." - Henry Louis Mencken
rogerhb
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Previous

Return to Conservation & Efficiency