Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Efficiency of Farmer's Markets/Country Living

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

Re: Efficiency of Farmer's Markets/Country Living

Unread postby Revi » Tue 22 Sep 2009, 21:13:25

Country living has problems already. There are a lot of really marginal people living out in the boonies now. Life isn't going to get any better for them if gas goes up. They don't live in little self-sufficient farmsteads. They live in 40 year old trailers and on marginal land that can't be farmed. Most have forgotten how to grow a garden anyway.

They are losing their jobs and living on next to nothing. I heard about a guy who was burning the house to stay warm last winter. He had a chainsaw and was cutting pieces of the house into stove sized chunks.

Life around here is not going to be a picnic post-peak. It's hard enough now.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby mos6507 » Tue 22 Sep 2009, 23:51:47

pstarr wrote:What I did many years ago is start a garden in suburbia and I learned about compost, soil, plants and weeds etc. I moved away from the reigning paradigm (TV, gossip, consumerism, etc) and concentrated on self-reliance all the while making a good living in the "real" world. It has been a great journey.

That's what I'm doing now. So what's the problem? You seem to want to insert melodrama where it doesn't belong.
mos6507

Unread postby mos6507 » Wed 23 Sep 2009, 00:53:18

pstarr wrote:
mos6507 wrote:
pstarr wrote:What I did many years ago is start a garden in suburbia and I learned about compost, soil, plants and weeds etc. I moved away from the reigning paradigm (TV, gossip, consumerism, etc) and concentrated on self-reliance all the while making a good living in the "real" world. It has been a great journey.

That's what I'm doing now. So what's the problem? You seem to want to insert melodrama where it doesn't belong.
I got out.

So will I probably, when the going gets tough enough. Do you by any chance have any kids? How about aging parents who are not red-pillers? Would the decision to move to the "redwood curtain" be any tougher if you did? I think you should refrain from portraying your life decisions as one-size-fits-all. Everybody's got to find their own way through this.

I know you are proud of the changes you've made in your life, but they are YOUR changes. They aren't necessarily the ideal model for everyone else. I'm glad to hear your story or anyone else's as long as it's qualified as such.
mos6507

Unread postby timmac » Wed 23 Sep 2009, 02:07:57

Your not growing that other weed up there behind the red curtain are you Pstarr..
timmac
Permanently Banned

Unread postby efarmer » Sat 26 Sep 2009, 13:49:19

For those of us who enjoy lampooning and sarcasm, the notion of
being out in the boonies solo is sobering.

It would be like taking Don Rickles and casting him as a hermit in
the wilderness.

"Hey rabbit, what's your problem, you hockey puck, can't
find a bimbo with that ugly kisser of yours? "

"I'm sick of you crow, one more bleat out of your crooked beak
and I'm going in the hut for my pistol."

Eventually, folks like us will be looking in the mirror and making
fun of the ugly sucker staring back at us...
efarmer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Revi » Sat 26 Sep 2009, 21:57:51

This summer we watched a dvd of Green Acres. Remember Mr. Haney? There is a funny side to country living too.

Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Previous

Return to Conservation & Efficiency