Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Ecosophia; John Michael Greer's New Blog

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

A Dangerous Year

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 03 Jan 2018, 18:47:59

‘Tis the season for making predictions about the events lurking in wait for us all in the upcoming year, and I see no reason to demur from that common if risky habit. Those of my readers who’ve been following my blog since the days of The Archdruid Report know that my method in making these predictions is at once simple, effective, and highly unpopular. Put briefly, I pay attention to what happened when the same conditions occurred in previous historical epochs, and predict that the same consequences are going to follow. It’s simple because I’ve got five thousand years of history to work with, and since human beings are much less original than they like to think, it’s a safe bet that the events taking place now have occurred many times before, with predictable consequences. It’s effective because, again, human beings

A Dangerous Year
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Ecosophia; John Michael Greer's New Blog

Unread postby onlooker » Wed 03 Jan 2018, 19:05:27

I disagree with this manner of making predictions at this time. This is a unique confluence of situations at this time. First and foremost, never have we overshot the ENTIRE planetary Ecosystem nor undermined to this degree the life sustaining properties of the planet Never have we had so many of our population incapable of subsistence self sufficient living. And of course never have we had such a huge human population to maintain. On the bright side never have we had such advanced technology and know how. So this period is a completely anomalous time in our history which defies utilizing history as a predictive marker
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 31 Jan 2018, 22:21:41

onlooker wrote:I disagree with this manner of making predictions at this time. This is a unique confluence of situations at this time. First and foremost, never have we overshot the ENTIRE planetary Ecosystem nor undermined to this degree the life sustaining properties of the planet Never have we had so many of our population incapable of subsistence self sufficient living. And of course never have we had such a huge human population to maintain. On the bright side never have we had such advanced technology and know how. So this period is a completely anomalous time in our history which defies utilizing history as a predictive marker

Malthus implied something similar. The Mormons. Jevons. Ehrlich. Catton. Harold Camping. It has never happened before! Praise BeJesus! THE END IS NIGH!!

You would fit right in onlooker. Gotta warn you though, turns out that the only thing that, in hindsight, was normal, was the ease with which such ideas were relegated to punchlines to jokes, you know, like what recently happened to Happy McPeaksters? IT IS DIFFERENT THIS TIME! I MEAN IT!!

If you want to see Doom onlooker, you can find it anywhere. On day at any point in your entire life, most likely. It is the proof of why it is a belief system, and has no more relevance today than it did the first day you thought THE END WAS NIGH!! If you know some math, you can even build an equation that will "prove" it to the gullible! Look how well Short has done with that one! Until...as with those who came before...reality said otherwise.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

John Michael Greer: A Rhetorical Education

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 09 Mar 2018, 17:25:14

Quite a bit of the discussion on this blog and its predecessors has focused on controversial issues, the kind of thing that causes rhetoric to fly fast and thick. Given the themes I like to discuss in these essays, that could hardly have been avoided. Ours is an age riven by disputes, in which debate has taken over much of the space occupied by physical violence in less restrained eras. (How many people died in the struggle that put Donald Trump instead of Hillary Clinton in the White House? During most of human history, that wouldn’t have been an ironic question.) Yet this contentious age has an odd feature, and it’s one I’ve referenced more than once in recent posts on this blog: the fact that the vast majority of the rhetoric deployed in the disputes of our day is so

John Michael Greer: A Rhetorical Education

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

The Twilight of Authority

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 26 Mar 2018, 14:40:16

I wrote a couple of weeks ago about the need for a rhetorical education—that is, an education that doesn’t presume to lay down the law about what’s true and what’s false, but instead teaches each individual how to understand and assess claims about truth and falsehood. That’s a concept many people find challenging these days. We live in the last phases in an era of abstraction, and the notion of truth in most people’s minds these days follows suit: when people talk about truth, they generally mean some set of generalizations dunned into their heads that are supposedly always true in the abstract, even though they may not work all the time (or at all) in the irreducibly grubby and complex world we actually inhabit. Think about the things that the people around you consider to be truths. (I’d ask you

The Twilight of Authority

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby asg70 » Mon 26 Mar 2018, 16:47:19

I liked it better when it was Tom Nichols.

https://www.amazon.com/Death-Expertise- ... 0190469412

BTW, Greer shouldn't be the one to school us on what is or isn't truth, given his druidism.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

The Truths We Have In Common

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 04 Apr 2018, 16:53:36

In recent posts here on Ecosophia.net, I’ve sketched out the way that the era of abstraction in which we’ve all grown up has foundered, following patterns that were old before our civilization was born. We’ve talked about the way that the abstract generalizations that started out helping to make sense of on-the-ground realities have been put to use instead to spin, distort, and conceal them; we’ve talked about the way that so many people in today’s America have reacted to the fog of abstraction by trying to claim unearned authority for themselves or the beliefs they favor. Now it’s time to start talking about what can be done about it all. Appropriately enough, that’ll be easier to do if we start from a specific example rather than staying safely out in the cloudy realm of abstract generalizations, and specific examples are

The Truths We Have In Common

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 05 Apr 2018, 16:41:17

Welcome to world of circa 2018. A world totally corrupted by the pecuniary interests. What is reality then? Certainly not what official sources tell you or established Institutions. Reality is what you see, hear, taste, touch etc. It is readily apparent what all of us now living on this planet have in common. We have a dying Biosphere from so many humans and their ways of living. We have a correspondingly decadying social/cultural edifice. And we have a ruling structure and its exponents who have no loyalty to anything but their own bank accounts and priviledged positions. That is the grim reality accept it in the same way you accept that you will die someday. As the truths we have in common.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby asg70 » Sat 07 Apr 2018, 16:04:47

"we have a ruling structure and its exponents who have no loyalty to anything but their own bank accounts and priviledged positions."

You're narrative is mostly a matter of shifting blame upstream to TPTB. You fail to aknowledge that tragedy of the commons is baked into the human cake regardless of station.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 07 Apr 2018, 16:43:32

Yes you are right ASG. I am just pointing out that that we should NOT expect our leaders to show us the way or lead. They are as fallible if not more then any of us
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 29 Oct 2018, 10:03:32

America and Russia, Part One: Stirrings in the Borderlands

To my mind, one of the main sources of collective stupidity in modern American society is our pervasive bad habit of short-term thinking. It’s embarrassingly rare for anyone in American public life to stop and say aloud, “Hold it. What’s going to happen if we keep on doing this for more than a few more years?” Now of course one of the reasons so few people do this is that those who do get shouted down as impractical dreamers, and the mere fact that the so-called dreamers are so often right, and the practical men of affairs who dismiss them are so often wrong, somehow never inspires the least willingness to rethink the matter.

This has been on my mind more than usual of late, as the price of oil ratchets slowly upwards. It’s risen over the last few years from its post-2009 lows to a point at which it’s beginning to strain the economies of third world nations. It’ll strain the economies of major industrial nations, too, because it’s repeating the same cycle that drove the drastic price spikes of 1973 and 2008.

Those of my readers who have been paying attention know this song well enough to sing all the verses in the shower. Petroleum is a finite, nonrenewable, and irreplaceable resource, and we’re burning it at a rate of some 93 million barrels every single day. (The next time the media yells about how some new oil field has been discovered with umpty-ump billion barrels of oil in it, divide that by 93 million and see how far it goes.) With each passing year, the hunt for new oil reserves to replace those that have already been exhausted turns up less and less—at this point, annual discoveries are around 11% of annual consumption.

In a sane world, we’d be cutting back on our petroleum consumption year by year and giving up the extravagant habits of energy use that were briefly fashionable at the peak of the Age of Oil, and we’d be fine. We don’t live in a sane world, though. We live in a world where the only response to the inevitable exhaustion of the world’s oil reserves that anyone’s willing to consider is to keep on consuming, pedal to the metal, while insisting at the top of our lungs that someone, somewhere, has to come up in a hurry with some replacement for the irreplaceable energy resource we’re wasting so profligately. That’s what drives the cycle that’s gearing up for its third leap at the throat of the global economy.

It works like this. As petroleum supplies begin running short, the law of supply and demand drives up prices. Speculators then get into the action, as they do whenever the price of anything rises, bidding up prices further than market fundamentals will justify. That triggers a speculative bubble; what’s more, nations that export oil, and have grudges against oil importers such as the US, take the opportunity to give any available knife a few good twists, driving the price up yet further. The price of oil zooms to previously unthinkable levels, and for a little while, those few people who recognize the absurdity of the industrial world’s energy policies nurture fond hopes that basic common sense will finally get a look in, and people will start to notice that the only way out of the trap we’re in consists of conservation and lifestyle changes.

Unfortunately, that’s not what happens. What happens instead is that the soaring price of oil causes demand destruction, which is a fancy name for the process by which people who can’t afford a resource stop using it. The soaring price of oil also makes previously uneconomical sources of oil affordable, and so new sources of supply come on line just as demand drops. That sends the price of oil down, which pops the speculative bubble and sends investors scurrying like cockroaches toward less volatile markets. As a result, the price of oil crashes, though it levels off a good deal higher than it was before the price began rising; whatever alternative energy sources became briefly fashionable during the crisis either go broke or have to be propped up with lavish government subsidies; and everyone goes back to pretending that trying to extract an infinite amount of oil from a finite planet is something other than raw insanity.

We’ve probably still got a couple of years before the next major petroleum price spike, and the crash that will follow it. It’s worth noting, though, that 35 years passed between the first price spike in 1973 and the second one in 2008, and it’s pretty clear that the third spike will arrive in much less than that time. It’ll be interesting to see if the intervals continue to decrease at the same ratio—if, say, the next price spike comes in 2021 and the ratio holds, the one after that will hit somewhere close to 2024, and the one after that in 2025—or if some more complex pattern will shape the mathematics of crisis as the Age of Oil lurches to its inevitable end.

In the months and years ahead, I plan on discussing that trajectory from time to time, and glancing back over the themes that my earlier blog The Archdruid Report covered during and after the last big oil price spike. This week, though, I want to move a good deal further from the short-term thinking I critiqued earlier, and try to fit the turbulence of our age in the broader pattern of world history.

My primary guide in that exploration, as regular readers of my blogs will have guessed already, is the redoubtable Oswald Spengler: historian, polymath, and professional thorn in the side of the comfortable certainties of his era and ours, whose major work The Decline of the West has yielded one accurate prediction after another while the sunnier or more apocalyptic futures predicted by his critics have all proved as evanescent as moonbeams. Drawing on such earlier students of historical cycles as Giambattista Vico, Spengler set out a detailed theory of the morphology of civilizations, tracing them through the stages of a life cycle—birth, youth, maturity, senility, and death—that formed the basis for his predictions about the future of Western or, as he called it, Faustian culture.

Central to Spengler’s theory, and just as central to the spluttering denunciations leveled at him by the defenders of the conventional wisdom ever since his time, is his recognition that “progress” is a mythological concept rather than a historical reality. Classical civilization—Apollonian culture, in his terminology—was not a step forward beyond the mark left by ancient Egypt; what Spengler called Magian culture, the great cultural upsurge in the Middle East that culminated with the Islamic Caliphate in what we call the Middle Ages, was not a step forward beyond Apollonian culture, and our Faustian culture is no more advanced than any of those I’ve named.

Does that sound like a paradox? It’s nothing of the kind. Each great culture has its own values and goals and priorities, which it fulfills as well as circumstances permit. Our Faustian culture seems more “progressive” to us for no better reason than because it’s gone further in the direction of fulfilling the values and goals and priorities of Faustian culture than anyone else. Apollonian culture invented the steam engine and the gear train, the two great technological breakthroughs that launched Faustian culture on its way to temporary global dominion, but the Greek and Roman engineers who dabbled in such things didn’t value the things that Gerbert of Aurillac and James Watt did and so didn’t put them to the same uses. Most other great cultures weren’t interested enough in such things even to dabble.

Thus it’s an embarrassing bit of ethnocentrism to insist, as too many writers of alternate-history novels have done, that if Western Europeans hadn’t gotten around to inventing steam engines, gear trains, and the rest of the toolkit that made the modern industrial world happen, someone else would have. Our technology is a Faustian technology, shaped throughout by the passions and obsessive ideas of the great culture that was born in western and central Europe around the year 1000; as Faustian culture winds down—a process already well under way—its technology can be expected to settle into a static mold, shed those elements that aren’t sustainable, and be mined as a resource by future great cultures, the way Greek logic and mathematics were mined by the Indian, Magian, and Faustian cultures for purposes entirely their own.

Let’s take a look off into the future with that in mind, and try to get a sense of what’s likely to happen as Faustian culture finishes settling down into its final stasis. One point that Spengler makes is particularly important in this context. However far afield a great culture may extend its power during its period of imperial expansion, it remains rooted in its original homelands, and once the inevitable age of empire suffers its equally inevitable decline and fall, its far-flung extensions fall away and the original homelands of the culture hold onto what’s left of it until some later culture brushes it aside. Faustian culture had its origins, as already noted, in western and central Europe; in its time of empire, between 1492 and 1914, it surged out of Europe to conquer and pillage most of the planet; though its prestige is still high enough that privileged classes over most of the world still wear clothes of European style and maintain governments of European type, it’s very much a waning power at this point.

As a great culture goes into decline, in turn, the places to watch are the borderlands. These aren’t necessarily the political borders, though they can be. As Apollonian culture slid down the well-greased chute of its decline and fall, for example, two border regions turned out to be of crucial importance. One was the eastern border zone where the Mediterranean littoral blended with deserts and then with the ancient cities of Persia and the Arabian peninsula, where Rome’s military power had never reached but its cultural and economic influence was strong. The other was the valleys of half a dozen large rivers that flowed into the North Sea, among them the Thames, the Seine, and the Rhine, where Roman power established itself for a while and then lost its grip as the age of migrations began.

Both of those areas proceeded to pup great cultures of their own. In the east, the Magian culture began to take shape long before Rome fell, and succeeded in absorbing the Byzantine empire into its own ambit and cultural forms once the western empire was gone. In the west, where the collapse of Rome had much more drastic impacts, a long and difficult dark age passed before Faustian culture began to emerge. In each case, though, the emerging culture started out borrowing a set of existing forms inherited from an older great culture.

Spengler calls this process “pseudomorphosis.” You can see it with impressive clarity in the history of Western architecture, among many other places. The standard building style in early medieval Europe is called Romanesque nowadays, and for very good reason: it looks like a halfhearted copy of Roman architecture. A few centuries went by, and then the pseudomorphosis was shaken off and Gothic architecture soared skyward, at the same time as the first great flowering of Faustian cultural forms in other arts and sciences broke free of Apollonian models.

Magian culture had its comparable era of pseudomorphosis earlier, and from a different source. (Spengler disagreed with this, but he was working with a far less complete understanding of Middle Eastern archeology than we’ve got now.) Magian culture originally began to draw together in the aftermath of the Mesopotamian culture, and in its early days it borrowed many of the forms and habits of the grand cultural tradition that had its origins in the mud-brick towns of Sumer. When Apollonian culture expanded east and south into the Magian heartlands—first under Alexander the Great, then under an assortment of minor Greek-speaking empires, and finally under the eagles of Rome—there followed a second era of pseudomorphosis, but that was followed by a sharp reaction against the Apollonian influence; eastern Christianity, Islam, and a flurry of less successful faiths such as Manichaeanism surged outward in response, cast aside Apollonian political, cultural, and creative forms, and established the Magian world on their ruins.

And Faustian culture? It also had two eras of pseudomorphosis. The first, as already noted, drew on the heritage of Rome; the second, later on, drew on Magian culture. From the Middle Ages to the early modern period, it’s no exaggeration—though it’s a blow to European pride, no doubt—to see the quarreling little countries of Europe as simply a western extension of the vast and immensely prosperous Magian cultural sphere, which extended from Morocco to Pakistan.

Like the other societies within the Magian sphere, the nations of Europe had established, dogmatic religions from which dissent was permitted only in strictly limited ways, guided by a sacred scripture, centered in a holy city, and expressed in formal congregational worship on a specific day of the week which everyone was expected to attend. These and a galaxy of other Magian customs were standard across Europe—it’s not accidental that European Traditionalists so reliably turn back to the Middle East for inspiration, since not only the traditions they follow but the entire notion of one true unchanging Tradition handed down from the beginning of time, and only accessible to those who belong to an established religious body, is a Magian invention.

Yet that turned out to be a passing phase, just as the Apollonian pseudomorphosis turned out to be a passing phase for the Magian culture some centuries further back. As Faustian culture began to waken to its own possibilities, Magian forms were cast aside or twisted completely out of their original shapes. European master builders who learned Arabic architectural innovations reshaped them out of all resemblance, producing the soaring vertical lines and pointed arches of the Gothic era; monks tinkering with the old Apollonian technology of gear trains reworked it to allow the transmission of power, creating not only the mechanical clock but an essential part of most of the mechanical technology that followed from it; Aristotelian physics got reworked, too, to permit the introduction of concepts of impetus and force that were completely foreign to Apollonian natural science, but essential to the rise of Faustian science.

All this would have been difficult to grasp from the point of view of Apollonian culture. Imagine, for a moment, the predicament of a perceptive thinker in late Apollonian society—say, a Greek philosopher living around 250 CE—who had grasped the reality of his society’s decline and guessed at the broader pattern of historical cycles in which the decline played one of the standard parts. Our philosopher might just possibly guess that the next great culture in the part of the world he knew might rise out of the eastern penumbra of Roman civilization. His chances of getting any kind of advance notion of the shape of the rising Magian culture, though, were miniscule. To focus on only one detail, how easily could a person raised to think of religion as a matter of traditional rites about which you could believe anything you wanted, so long as you performed them, imagine a religion where belief in a particular set of opinions was so important that people slaughtered one another over minute differences of creed?

For that matter, the chance that our philosopher could have anticipated the rise of another great culture out of the northwestern borderlands of the Roman world was probably too small to worry about. In 250 CE, the valleys of the Thames, the Seine, and the Rhine were about as central to the Roman world as the valleys of the Monongahela, the Kanawha, and the Tennessee Rivers are to the modern European world, and the thought that a great culture could emerge from what was then a cultural backwater inhabited mostly by barbarian deplorables would have seemed utterly absurd if anyone had gotten around to thinking of it at all.

We’re in a similar situation today, but we have a broader knowledge of history and thus a better chance of recognizing the recurring patterns. The great culture that is settling into its static form, and will play a greatly diminished in the wider history of the world thereafter, is Faustian culture—the great culture that rose in those northwestern borderlands of Rome in the wake of the Dark Ages, contended with Magian culture as that latter passed its own zenith and settled into its static condition, and then surged out across the globe to conquer most of the planet’s land surface and impose its idiosyncratic cultural fashions on nearly every society on Earth.

Like the Apollonian culture, Faustian culture also has two major borderlands, one to the east of its heartlands, one to the west, and from those we can probably expect the rise of two more great cultures in due time. There may be others as well, for the spread of European empires around the globe in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries has imposed its own pseudomorphoses on most of the world; as a result, West Africa and certain regions of Latin America strike me as very likely to pup high cultures in the millennium ahead; but for the moment, for reasons that will become clear as we proceed, I want to talk about the two border regions already mentioned.

Those borderlands? Today we call them Russia and America: specifically, as we’ll see in the next post in this series, European Russia west of the Urals, especially the region centering on the Volga valley, and North America west of the Appalachians, especially the region centering on the Ohio valley and the Great Lakes.

The parallels between Apollonian and Faustian borderlands go surprisingly deep, because something like the same difference in age that shaped the relative histories of the Magian and Faustian cultures seems likely to shape the equivalent trajectories of the Russian and American cultures to come. Russia passed through its first pseudomorphosis a good many centuries back, when it absorbed potent cultural influences from the Byzantine Empire, at that time an important part of the Magian cultural sphere; it began its second pseudomorphosis in the days of Peter the Great, when a new set of cultural influences from the Faustian west swept over Russia; and it’s currently in the early stages of the inevitable reaction, which will see both the Byzantine and the European influences give way to the first bold statements of a distinctively Russian high culture. I expect that to begin sometime in the twenty-second century.

America, by contrast, received what Magian influence it had at second hand, by way of Magian elements retained by Faustian culture, and its first pseudomorphosis began in the early seventeenth century when the first waves of European settlement surged across a landscape mostly depopulated by the cataclysmic impact of Old World diseases on the native peoples. The second pseudomorphosis hasn’t happened yet, and it’s an interesting question which of the rising cultures of the next millennium will be responsible for that challenging stimulus. It’ll be after the second pseudomorphosis sparks the inevitable reaction that the first bold statements of a distinctively American high culture will appear, perhaps in the twenty-sixth century.

And the general outlines of those high cultures of the third millennium? We’ll discuss that in the next post in this series.

America & Russia Pt. 1
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 29 Oct 2018, 10:06:20

America and Russia, Part Two: The Far Side of Progress

Two weeks ago, in the first part of this sequence of posts, we explored the way that Oswald Spengler’s insights into the cycles of history can be used not only to make sense of the past, but also to get some idea of the shape of the future ahead of us. That’s explosive stuff, because the future thus revealed isn’t the one demanded by the cultural obsessions of the present day.

Every great culture, to use Spengler’s phrase, has its own vision of what the future ought to be like. In Apollonian culture—the great culture of the ancient Mediterranean basin, which hit its cultural stride in classical Greece and metastasized beneath the eagles of Rome—the future everyone expected was the present endlessly prolonged. The vision of time and change that guided Apollonian culture in the centuries of its maturity had three phases: first, things were in chaos, then a mighty power arose to set things in order, and that order endured forever. In religious terms, the mighty power was the god Jupiter taming the Titans with his thunderbolts; in political terms, the mighty power was the Roman Empire bringing the warring kingdoms of the world under its sway; the same logic applied to classical philosophy, which sought to teach the rational mind how to reduce the chaos of the self into an enduring order, and so on.

In Magian culture—the great culture that emerged in the Middle East as Apollonian culture peaked and began to fade, hit its cultural stride during the Abbasid caliphate and metastasized under the Ottoman Empire—this vision found few takers once the Apollonian pseudomorphosis faded out. The Magian vision of time and change, rather, is the one familiar to most of my readers through its reflection in Christian theology. The universe in this view is a stage on which the mighty drama of human salvation is played out; it runs in a straight line from Creation, through the revelation of the one true faith, to a cataclysmic finale, after which nothing will ever change again. At the center of the Magian experience, in turn, is the sense of being part of the community of the faithful, resisting the powers of evil while waiting prayerfully for the one true God to bring on the apocalypse.

As we saw two weeks ago, Faustian culture—the great culture that emerged in western Europe around 1000 CE, which hit its cultural stride in the Renaissance and metastasized in the gargantuan European empires of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries—still carries remnants of Magian culture with it, which were picked up through the normal historical process of pseudomorphosis and remain more or less fossilized in place. (We’ll talk later on about why those fossils are so much more common and influential here in America than they are back in the Faustian homelands of Europe.) At the heart of the Faustian worldview, though, stands a vision of time and change starkly opposed to the Magian vision, and reminiscent of the Apollonian vision in a certain highly qualified sense.

In the Faustian vision, it’s not chaos that characterizes the original shape of things, it’s stasis. Think of all those old childrens’ stories about the first caveman to discover fire, or the echo of the same mythic narrative in the opening scenes of Stanley Kubrick’s movie 2001: A Space Odyssey; think of the folk mythology that surrounds the Scientific Revolution; think of the rhetoric that still frames every one of the grand crusades for social betterment that hasn’t yet crumpled under the weight of its failure and turned to Magian apocalypticism instead. (When a social movement in the modern Western world starts shouting “The world will end if we don’t get what we want!” you can safely bet that it’s already failed and its days are numbered.)

The story starts in darkness and squalor and stasis, with everyone trudging through centuries-old routines under the leaden weight of superstition and ignorance. Then some bright individual has the “Aha!” moment that changes everything. He—it’s usually a man, at least in the myths—of course has to do battle with the entrenched forces of superstition and ignorance, but of course he wins in the end; darkness and squalor give way to something shiny and new, stasis gives way to movement, and the grand march of progress takes off toward the stars.

That’s where the Faustian myth seems to depart most obviously from its Apollonian equivalent, but the difference is less important than it looks. The word “progress,” after all, literally means “continued movement in the same direction.” Thus, in the Faustian myth, the pace of progress can change but the direction can’t. That’s why, to cite an example, the scientific establishment freaked out so comprehensively in the 1970s when various circles of avant-garde researchers started to find common ground with mystics and occultists. The definition of progress accepted then and now in the scientific mainstream consigned mystics and occultists to the dustbin of superstition and ignorance, and the so-called “skeptic” movement was the inevitable backlash.

It’s easy to make fun of the dogmatism and intolerance of the insufficiently skeptical skeptics who insisted that they were fighting against dogmatism and intolerance, but their holy war was the necessary consequence of the central logic of the Faustian cult of progress. Since, by definition, progress is what brought us here out of the squalor and ignorance of the benighted past, and since, by definition, continued movement in the same direction is going to lead us onward and upward to a shining techno-utopian future, any attempt to revisit the scientific community’s dogmatic rejection of spiritual experiences can only be seen as a surrender to the forces of superstition and ignorance that alone can deny us all our destiny among the stars.

That same logic pervades Faustian culture at all levels. Have you noticed how common it is, for example, for people who come up with a diet that’s good for their health to insist to all and sundry that the same diet must be good for everyone’s health, that every other diet is bad and evil and wrong, and that if only everyone can be browbeaten into following the one true diet, all illness will go away? It’s the identical way of thinking, transposed into the key of crank diets. The food crackpot seeks to occupy the culturally mandated role of the bright individual with the “Aha!” moment that changes everything, so that the one true diet can become the fixed direction along which dietary progress can then march onward forever. It’s central to the entire Faustian vision that progress is a straight line going in one and only one direction and everyone has to be made to follow it.

It’s when the onward march of progress falls flat on its face, in turn, that the downside of the Faustian narrative becomes painfully clear, because it has no way to deal with failure.

That’s something that varies dramatically from one great culture to another. The Chinese and Indian great cultures, for example, differ in immensely important ways but approach time and change through a broadly similar scheme: a vision of cyclic movement. Hindu philosophy has one of the two most richly elaborated schemes of cyclic time in any recorded high culture—its only rival is the equally intricate system of nested cycles worked out in equally immense detail by the cultures of native Mesoamerica. In both these traditions, everything that happens has happened countless times before and will happen countless times again, and if hard times come, why, that’s just another incident in the spinning of time’s vast wheel.

The Chinese vision of time is somewhat different, but equally cyclical. The I Ching, the great Chinese textbook of time theory, identifies sixty-four basic conditions of time, each of which can morph into any of the others by way of specific transformations. Thus the rise and fall of nations and dynasties isn’t fixed quite so rigidly on the wheel of time as in India; a government that pays attention to the way that time is flowing can often prevent the conditions of downfall from coming into play—in traditional Chinese terms, to keep hold of the mandate of Heaven and prevent it from shifting to new hands. In the Chinese way of seeing things, in turn, when hard times come, that just means that the bureaucrats in the capital have failed to judge the temporal flow correctly, and the situation will be rectified just as soon as the bureaucrats either get a clue or have their heads displayed on bamboo spears by the soldiers of the incoming dynasty.

The Magian culture doesn’t have a cyclical sense of time—there’s no other great culture that has had so strictly finite a vision of history—but the inherent flexibility of the Magian temporal scheme makes it relatively easy to deal with failure and defeat. In the Magian worldview, after all, the community of the faithful is constantly beseiged by the powers of evil, who are permitted great leeway by the one true God for His inscrutable reasons. Someday the Messiah or Christ or the Mahdi or whoever will show up and transform the world utterly, but no one knows when, and in the meantime the faithful must expect to have their faith tried in the flames of worldly disappointment and suffering.

The Apollonian great culture had none of these resources to hand. In the Apollonian vision of history, again, once the universe is set in order by the might of its rightful ruler, and everyone accepts their proper place in the order of things, that’s the way it’s supposed to stay forever. The fall of the Roman Empire was thus a shattering experience for those who lived through its more drastic phases. A strong case can be made—and indeed it was made, early in the fifth century CE, by Augustine of Hippo in his polemic masterpiece The City of God—that the fall of Rome disproved the most fundamental assumptions of the Apollonian worldview. That experience of cognitive dissonance was what left the field clear for the rising Magian culture to seize the imagination of the ancient world and impose its own religious and cultural vision on the disillusioned masses of the late Roman Empire.

The Faustian culture, though, is even more vulnerable to the same sort of disillusionment. If we were to set up a spectrum of resilience to the experience of failure among great cultures, with India and China way over to one end of the spectrum, Faustian culture is about as far as you can go to the other end. For the Faustian sense of time to remain intact, after all, it’s not enough to survive; it’s not even enough to establish the sort of steady state to which Apollonian culture aspired, and which it achieved for centuries at a time. The Faustian sense of time requires progress—continued triumphant movement in the same direction. When that movement stops, or even slows down noticeably, the widening gap between what’s supposed to happen and what’s actually happening becomes a source of massive cognitive dissonance, and if that condition keeps going for more than a little while, people start to wig out.

Parenthetically, that’s the best explanation I’ve been able to come up with for the astonishing craziness of the US political mainstream today. In the early 1980s, a set of economic policies—free-trade agreements, tacit encouragement of unlimited illegal immigration, and ever-expanding government regulations that benefited big corporations at the expense of small businesses—got assigned the role of the fixed direction that economic progress would thereafter follow. About a decade later, the ideology of political correctness, with its fixed allotment of the roles of “victim” and “villain” by gender and ethnicity and its systematic erasure of the realities of social class (and middle-class bigotry toward the working classes), got assigned the same status in terms of social and cultural progress.

Both the policies and the ideology failed to achieve their ostensible goals; neither the general prosperity that was supposed to result from the former nor the increasing equality that was supposed to come out of the latter ever got around to showing up. The result was a forceful backlash, spearheaded in the usual manner by those who were expected to carry the costs of both the policies and the ideology while receiving none of the benefits. At this point the backlash has put opponents of the policies and the ideology alike into decisive positions in the executive and judicial branches of the US government, and the grassroots economic boom that free-trade policies were supposed to provide has now been set in motion by the abolition of free-trade policies.

In response, the defenders of yesterday’s version of progress have done what failed causes normally do in a Faustian society, and reverted to the habits of the Magian pseudomorphosis. Thus you get the shrill moral dualism, the posturing as goodness incarnate, the increasingly frantic insistence that the backlash against their version of progress can only be motivated by deliberate evil, and the rest of it. On cue, in turn, we’re starting to see articles in the media insisting that the end of the world will follow promptly now that the self-anointed “good people” have failed. If supporters of Donald Trump know their way around the history of ideas, they’re reading these articles with glee, since—as noted above—such diatribes are the death rattle of a modern social movement.

Keep in mind, though, that the antics we’re seeing in US politics today are a mild preview of the far more drastic disillusionment that’s already beginning to take shape as the entire Faustian project of perpetual progress betrays the hopes that have been placed on it. The difficulty that the Faustian culture has never grasped is that any attempt at continued movement in the same direction is subject to the law of diminishing returns. Scientific discovery and technological progress aren’t exempt from this law; it’s worth noting that the cost of each generation of scientific and technological advances has increased steadily with each passing decade, while the benefits provided by each decade’s advances, on average, has turned out to be more and more marginal where it hasn’t yet dipped well into negative numbers.

We’re already seeing people going back to an earlier generation of cell phones because the latest gimmick-laden smartphones are literally more trouble than they’re worth. In exactly the same way, manned space flight has become a publicity gimmick for ambitious nations and billionaire celebrities, and as orbits fill up with junked satellites and space debris and the risk of a Kessler-syndrome catastrophe rises, the smart money is moving into the early 20th century technology of high-altitude balloons to fill many of the roles now filled by satellites.

The entire narrative of human expansion into outer space is perhaps the most typically Faustian of all our dreams, the ultimate expression of a culture that loves to imagine itself zooming out to infinity in all directions. Scientists have known for decades that it’s not going to happen—outside of the Earth’s magnetosphere, space is so full of hard radiation that prolonged exposure to it will guarantee death by radiation poisoning, and neither the Moon nor Mars nor any other body in the solar system that human beings can visit has a comparable magnetosphere to keep out the lethal rays that stream from the ever-exploding thermonuclear bomb at the center of the solar system. The continuing hold of the myth of space colonization on our collective imagination, in the teeth of such scientific details, may turn out to be the weak point that brings the whole dream crashing down; if it’s not that, though, it’ll be something else.

Thus technological retrenchment, not perpetual progress is the wave of the future. As the failure of the grand myth of progress becomes increasingly hard to avoid, more and more people are turning their backs on the latest dysfunctional upgrades and new-but-emphatically-not-improved technotrinkets to return to things that actually work. Expect world-class meltdowns as that reality begins to sink in.

Thus I expect Faustian culture to undergo the same kind of catastrophic disillusionment that swept the Apollonian worldview into history’s dustbin. If anything, to judge by the foreshocks of that event that can be seen in the Western industrial cultures today, the rejection of the myth of progress may turn out to be even more sudden and sweeping. That won’t necessarily involve the collapse of nations—I expect that, too, but it’ll happen in its own time as a result of other pressures—but it’s pretty much certain to involve the overthrow of most of the automatic assumptions that govern public policies and personal lives alike just now. Many of my readers have already been through the tectonic shift that follows when it sinks in that the future really isn’t going to be better than the present. (The rest of you might want to brace yourselves, since you’ll be having the same experience soon enough.)

This brings us around finally to the theme I began to explore two weeks ago in the first post in this series, the likely emergence of two new great cultures in the post-Faustian world, one in eastern North America and one in Russia. Will these be the only great cultures to be kickstarted into motion by the failure of the Faustian dream? I have no idea. Certainly there’s every reason to think that the still-vital Chinese and Indian great cultures will respond to the shock of the Faustian era by cycling back around to some new version of their classic cultural themes; it seems likely, similarly, that Magian culture will continue to thrive in its Middle Eastern heartlands, and could well finish up its long and bitter struggles with Faustian culture by expanding north and west in the wake of the Faustian disillusionment, and imposing its rule on the exhausted nations of Europe for a time.

The wide, fertile, and climatologically fortunate watersheds of the Ohio and Volga rivers, though, are likely to play distinctive roles in the post-Faustian future. The two valleys and the cultures that emerge from them, though, will not follow identical trajectories by any means. Two crucial factors distinguish them. One has already been mentioned in this series of posts: Russia is already in its second pseudomorphosis, while America has so far experienced only one. The other is a subtler but more pervasive factor, rooted in the land itself. Two weeks from now, with the help of Carl Jung and Vine Deloria Jr., we’ll follow that subtler factor to its roots and try to make sense of the way it will shape the cultures of the future.

America & Russia Pt. 2
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Mon 29 Oct 2018, 15:24:34

This man is a complete and utter fool, who understands virtually nothing about science, little about technology, and has a very peculiar and unique view of history and economics, as well.

His main failing is an inability to appreciate the fundamental difference between the modern form of mankind, which is a hybrid organism consisting of both animal and electronic elements, networked together, and how different such an existence is from classical isolated individuals. This is a basic inescapable difference that seperates this time and most current individuals from any prior era.

Note that we are in a transition period which began about three decades back and will continue for some decades to come. There is of course an argument to be made that some individual, isolated humans should be maintained as "control naturals", for comparison purposes, as digital culture is rapidly evolving. The Amish are an example of one such group, there are others.

As for just HOW LONG this transition will take, why that much is simple: When the majority of humans are networked and have never lived as isolated individuals, the new "normal" will be unimaginably different from today.

Prepare to be assimilated.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 30 Oct 2018, 01:06:46

KaiserJeep wrote:This man is a complete and utter fool, who understands virtually nothing about science, little about technology, and has a very peculiar and unique view of history and economics, as well.

His main failing is an inability to appreciate the fundamental difference between the modern form of mankind, which is a hybrid organism consisting of both animal and electronic elements, networked together, and how different such an existence is from classical isolated individuals. This is a basic inescapable difference that seperates this time and most current individuals from any prior era.

Note that we are in a transition period which began about three decades back and will continue for some decades to come. There is of course an argument to be made that some individual, isolated humans should be maintained as "control naturals", for comparison purposes, as digital culture is rapidly evolving. The Amish are an example of one such group, there are others.

As for just HOW LONG this transition will take, why that much is simple: When the majority of humans are networked and have never lived as isolated individuals, the new "normal" will be unimaginably different from today.

Prepare to be assimilated.

Actually his historical perspective is pretty solid. I don't know what faith or religion you may have, but it is clear from your post you are one of the 'true Believers' in the cult of Progress. I don't necessarily buy into Greer's beliefs with regards to the future of humanity and never achieving space colonization and his distaste of nuclear fission, but so far as past socio-historical perspective the man has some very solid knowledge. Western culture has gone through each of the stages he refers to, though his terminology is overly academic for a blog written for Joe6P. In the broad strokes the Ancient World believed in might makes right and establishing order to overcome chaos was the goal. This pattern is clear in ancient iconography of the Egyptians, Mesopotamians, Greeks and Romans so scoffing at it isn't really an appropriate response. From the fall of the Western Roman Empire the rise of apocalyptic Judeo-Chritian-Islamic world views was equally reflected in the Norse pantheon and his observations on Chinese and Subcontinent India beliefs in cyclical history as well as that of the Mayan culture are well within reasonably accurate descriptions. That only leaves the Renaissance/Progress belief structure that has dominated western thought for the last five centuries. However like all such situations 'Scientific Progress' is as much a belief system as it is anything else, a mental device to try and make sense of the Universe and our place in it. However modern physics has left the realm of detectable observable phenomenon having fixed concrete answers and veered off into pseudo-scientific explanations like 'Dark Matter' and 'Dark Energy' that can not be directly observed but which are required to make the mathematical model of the expanding universe work out correctly. Instead of simply admitting they do not know what makes the Universe work the way that we see it working they created whole new layers of reality, which is functionally no different than saying one or more Supreme Beings willed it to work the way it does.

Most of our technologies have hit the law of diminishing returns quite a ways back, but admitting that is anathema to the worshipers at the altar of 'Progress' the great and powerful...

As a life long fan of sci-fi I am certain you are well aware that in the 1950's everyone was predicting that suborbital passenger rockets would soon be boosting people from Europe to Australia in one high hop. However that never actually happened despite the fact that such a vehicle would let you get from any point on the surface of the planet to any point even on the exact opposite side in less than 60 minutes boosting and then free falling until right before landing. Why? Because the cost of building a rugged suborbital passenger craft and fueling it to make the boost phase work is extraordinarily expensive, especially if you make it rugged enough to be safe for commercial transport of paying customers. A step below that was the SST like Concorde but a combination of Luddite FAA regulation copied by most foreign governments to curry favor and the extreme fuel costs of Mach 2.0 flight kept those aircraft from ever being economically viable. In point of fact if it were not for the massive subsidies of the commercial air industry in the form of government supplied airports and tax free fuel we wouldn't even have passenger jet travel. If you take into account all the real world costs of passenger air travel your ticket would cost at least ten times the subsidized prices you pay today, and in that world air travel would remain the Provence of the rich and famous, not Joe6P and his spouse and kiddies.

But if you ignore all the subsidies you can pretend we 'Progressed' from foot to horse to train to plane to rocket in one unending set of ever faster travel as if the cost of rocket/SST/Commercial Jet were only a minor bump up over walking on your own two feet. Take away the massively subsidized government funded road network and your jeep would be a necessary style of vehicle because a low slung sports car would never make it over muddy country roads which were little better than driving cross country before Eisenhower decided the country needed a high speed paved network.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Tue 30 Oct 2018, 04:01:11

Maybe, and maybe not. I believe that you Tanada are making some of the same mistakes as did he. You are missing that the Internet, the pervasive digital devices, and the Social media ARE the very essence of the new culture. The Peak Oil Forum is a grouping that never would have existed 30 years ago, and the world with digital devices and a network is very different than it was. But then perhaps "culture" is not the right term, either. Try to think of the cumulative changes of the last 30 years, they exceed in scope and depth the changes of three centuries before.

The remarks about the Jeep are more perceptive than you realize. The entire set of roads created within the last few decades is crumbling here in Silicon Valley, and the cause is corruption. Highways less than two decades old are sagging and washing out each year, and without any accountability, because both the corrupt politicians and the contractors are long gone. It's yet another aspect of Latino culture, and that is the race that dominates all politics everywhere in this state, and as years pass, California degrades and soon will have more in common with Mexico than you would believe. "Sanctuary" this/that/the other is another symptom of decay.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Ibon » Tue 30 Oct 2018, 05:22:11

KaiserJeep wrote:

If we consider how social media has contributed to the explosion of hatred, divisiveness, polarization,tribalism and intolerance, then I have to agree with you.

Ahh, the promise of the internet to empower the individual and democratize the human family.

All reduced to the hive mind of grievances.

There is of course an argument to be made that some individual, isolated humans should be maintained as "control naturals", for comparison purposes, as digital culture is rapidly evolving. The Amish are an example of one such group, there are others.

Indeed, I can think of a very good argument.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Tue 30 Oct 2018, 09:50:59

Ibon, some of the problems you mention are occurring due to simple population overshoot. I have lived the last 32 years in a California "Zero Lot Line" house, which while still a private home, is a form of medium density housing. I have a front yard and a backyard, with 60" of space on one side of the house and 0" on the other. The home itself occupies more than 50% of the square footage on the lot itself. 32 years ago, the Silly Valley still had orchards and dairies, these have gradually been squeezed out by suburbs.

It's tolerable, obviously. "Zero Lot Line" offers just enough privacy, and you can't hear or see your neighbors unless they are outside. But the last two months included five weeks in the pine forest on Nantucket, it was superbly quiet and peaceful, we had more wildlife each day than human visitors in all of five weeks. I could SEE vehicles on the road, but not hear them. I bit my tongue and allowed the three and a half year old grandkids to feed the deer in the backyard, they were open-eyed with wonder at deer, rabbits, and birds. (The deer munch bagged bird seed from the bird feeders.) But deer have no natural predator species on the island, and nowadays many fewer places where humans can hunt them. I think their fate is not worsened by food handouts. But I myself have to learn to adjust to Winter again, after California. The first year of cold season will be interesting. But overall, Nantucket today has 1/10th the people density the Silly Valley had 32 years ago. The main problem is that both here and there, middle class people have to make a living in an expensive area, they charge too much for everything. Just the groundskeeping on a vacant island home is $200/month, and they are not trimming the trees to my satisfaction, I will have to do that while they are still dormant.

KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Ibon » Wed 31 Oct 2018, 00:53:07

Ibon wrote:
KaiserJeep wrote:

If we consider how social media has contributed to the explosion of hatred, divisiveness, polarization,tribalism and intolerance, then I have to agree with you.

It's behind a paywall but check out this article. What a coincidence (or not), this appears today, a day after I made the above comments.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/30/opin ... e=Homepage
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Wed 31 Oct 2018, 08:24:19

Interesting read, and for me within the US, no paywall.

However, I repeat, the Internet and these devices are the fundamental difference that seperates us from every other species, and from prior human societies. It is an obvious fallacy to point out a whack job and blame the Intenet for his deeds. A whack job is a whack job, no matter what, and the internet didn't cause or exacerbate anti-semitism. Bizarre and extreme behaviors have always plaged the human race, and as the planet grows more crowded, will occur with greater frequency.

Have you ever grown rabbits, Ibon? They multiply rapidly, and quickly outgrow whatever enclosures you have for them, if you are not culling them for meat. There comes a point as the rabbit cages get overcrowded when violence erupts, they bite one another, and it spreads - they fight insanely until all or virtually all are dead. It is the same with overcrowded prisons, save that humans are much more vicious and violence prone than herbivores. (No, not me with the rabbits, but one of my uncles in Arkansas.)

We are approaching that level of density in many human cities. Meanwhile, the incidence of extreme and violent behavior is on the rise. The reporting of such events is also on the rise. The two factors acting together mean the increase is exponential, not arithmatic. Any that succumb in the early stages are properly described as whack jobs - and they are not curable, they need to be put down.

The Internet didn't cause any of it.

KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic Discussion