Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Economics vs. ETP

Discuss research and forecasts regarding hydrocarbon depletion.

Re: Economics vs. ETP

Unread postby Observerbrb » Tue 11 Oct 2016, 15:18:19

radon1 wrote:
I asked you a question before after introducing a very specific prediction made by "some guy" two years ago

Do more trolling baits, just like those of your other shilling clones.

I consider this answer to be highly inappropiate.

radon1 wrote:
Observerbrb wrote:Do you know the meaning of "not considering" in English? If he doesn't consider this specific point, you will not be able to find anything about debt levels in his argument.

So, the Second Law of Thermodynamics does not consider debt levels. This, according to you, makes this law flawed. Enough said.

This makes any further discussion pointless with you.

I never talked about the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics. The most important thing here is that he makes a point about the world not collapsing in 2008 and the oil price fluctuations, and I have answered him that he needs to take into account the debt levels (and interest rates) to analyze the whole situation.

Now, let me ask you a couple of questions:

- Do you think central banks are happy with interest rates being so low?
- Do you think central banks can raise interest rates?
- Do you think that the world economies can fend off another economic recession? How?
- Do you think that conventional monetary policies are exhausted? If they are, how do you think that central planners can propel enough demand to make oil prices go up?
- Do you think that major oil producers will not experience any kind of social upheaval if prices stay this low for another 3 or 4 years?
- Do you think that it's in the best interest of the world to pay more for oil products?

I am looking forward to your reply
Observerbrb
Coal
Coal

Unread postby radon1 » Tue 11 Oct 2016, 15:38:06

Observerbrb wrote:Now, let me ask you a couple of questions:

What does it have to do with the analysis in the OP? And before you attempt to obfuscate the matters further, I'll take trouble of providing the answer for you: It has nothing to do with the analysis in the OP.

So, you label the OP analysis as "flawed" on the basis of a word soup which is totally irrelevant to the analysis in the OP. As much as it is irrelevant, say, to the law of gravity, today's train schedule, or sun shining or river flowing, all of which you could equally label as "flawed" on the basis of your "logic". Thus, the single purpose of your post was to display your "flawed" banner with no regard to the grounds whatsoever.

Now, would you please happily retire and enjoy yourself elsewhere.
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Tue 11 Oct 2016, 15:50:09

ROCKMAN wrote:YF - "At what time will the steadily increasing cost of producing fossil fuels rise above this price?" And this brings me back to my perpetual bitching: what exactly do you mean by "cost of producing"? The cost to drill NEW oil wells that will produce SOME of the future oil production or the cost to produce the wells that are currently delivering about 94 million bopd to consumers?

Those two costs aren't anywhere close to each other. Nor does it matter if a shale well that is currently producing 200 bopd will never recover 100% of the cost to drill it. If it costs only $19/bbl (the LOE...Lease Operating Expense) to keep producing the well it will keep supplying the consumers even if the price of oil drops to $20/bbl.

And what's the average LOE of each of those 94 mm bbls produced every day? I have no f*cking idea. LOL. OTOH don't need to know it: if you owned a well making 200 bopd and your LOE to produce it were $60/bbl how long would keep producing it if you were getting $50/bbl? I serious doubt you (or any other company) would PAY for the previledge of producing oil, would you? So suffice it to say that the vast majority of those 94 million bbls being consumed every day cost less then the current price of oil.

So how low would oil prices have to drop for the oil patch to "die"? A good bit lower then the current price. The Rockman has a well in La that makes 260 bopd he would keep producing if oil drops to $6/bbl: his LOE is less then $5/bbl.

As long as folks don't specifically define what the cost to "produce" a means then it won't be clear what they are talking about.

Rock,
What do you think about production from the North Slope continuing much longer? When I was working in Prudhoe Bay, I was told by several people that were supposed to know, that the production costs were running around $60 per barrel. If that is true, how much longer do you think they will elect to continue to lose money on each barrel produced?
"It don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more"
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

Unread postby regardingpo » Tue 11 Oct 2016, 16:12:41

ROCKMAN wrote:So I'll ask one more time: who is using your "date of the collapse of the industrial civilization" and what are they doing? Personally I haven't seen one action being actually done with that prediction. I mean other then wasting a lot of space here at peakoil.com. Like this post. LOL.

Every single human being can benefit from knowing that date. Are you seriously arguing that knowing the date of TEOTWAWKI is useless??? Do you really need me to spell it out for you why it's useful?

I am personally using that information to make important life decisions. Well, sort of, because I'm not using just the ETP model specifically, I am using a lot of scientific knowledge about peak oil, climage change, overpopulation etc. For example, I decided not to have children because I'm convinced that because of those issues the world will within decades turn into something where I don't want my children to live in.

It is the best decision I made in my life and I am eternally grateful to all the people who research these topics and share their knowledge with the world.

By the way, you got other clear, good answers in the past but you either missed them or chose to ignore them. Let me remind you of them. Some people on this site specifically told you that they are using it to bet on the price of oil and make money. Or they're refraining from investing in oil. Both extremely useful things.

Finally, the model's creator answered your question on multiple occasions, including this one:
shortonoil wrote:In spite of the criticism that the Model has elicited it has already served a very important function. It has encouraged several start up companies to begin searching for alternatives to the now very inefficient, and unsustainable internal combustion engine. For that reason alone we can consider it a huge success!

There, I've just listed 4 different uses of the model. You're welcome.
Don't follow this link: http://bit.ly/2dtWSrZ
regardingpo
Peat
Peat

Unread postby BahamasEd » Tue 11 Oct 2016, 17:12:05

Rock, What Value has the ETP model?

I when back to a post by 'Whatever' on 10 Apr 2015, it's at the top of page 8 of "The ETP MODEL, Q & A" thread. The chart is dated back in 19 Sept 2014.

It predicts that the current 2016 price would be less then $70 at the start of the year and less then $55 around the turn to 2017.

That has a lot of value I would think, I don't predict the future any more as I suck at it, but it may be a wise bet that one year from now prices would be under $45.
The total energy cost of producing and delivering a gallon of gasoline to the end consumer must be less than the energy in a gallon of gasoline for it to be commercially viable.
BahamasEd
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby regardingpo » Tue 11 Oct 2016, 17:26:44

BahamasEd wrote:Rock, What Value has the ETP model?

I when back to a post by 'Whatever' on 10 Apr 2015, it's at the top of page 8 of "The ETP MODEL, Q & A" thread. The chart is dated back in 19 Sept 2014.

It predicts that the current 2016 price would be less then $70 at the start of the year and less then $55 around the turn to 2017.

That has a lot of value I would think, I don't predict the future any more as I suck at it, but it may be a wise bet that one year from now prices would be under $45.

I bet he's gonna start arguing with you and tell you that your answer somehow doesn't count. You have to tell him THAT YOU SPECIFICALLY RIGHT NOW are making money on it. Otherwise it doesn't count for him. LOL.

Turns out we're talking to someone to whom we need to spell out why knowing the price of oil at some point in the future is useful.

I bet he'll keep posting again how no-one ever gave him a good answer. I wager a barrel of oil that rockman will complain at least once more until the end of the year about how no-one ever gave him a good answer about the usefulness of the ETP model. Anyone wanna take that bet?
regardingpo
Peat
Peat

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Tue 11 Oct 2016, 17:38:12

r - "There, I've just listed 4 different uses of the model." And nothing you listed requires any knowledge of the model let alone the belief that it's correct. But what you just clearly confirmed is that you've accepted the model because it supports your previous predjudice. Which doesn't argue that your predjudice is correct or not. IOW if the model were predicting just the opposite you would declare it a piece of crap, right? Or would you completely change your expectations from "a lot of scientific knowledge about peak oil, climage change, overpopulation etc."?

BTW thousands of folks decided many decades ago to not have children for a variety of reasons, such as potential nuclear war. Apparently your parents were not in that group. LOL.

So again the same question: how many folks are specifically using the model to make those critical life choices you elude to? And what specifically are they doing? I know of many more who are preparing for TEOLAWKI for many more reasons then the price of oil. Especially since I've neven seen the model mentioned let alone analyzed outside this site.

So if you have some peer reviews please share.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby radon1 » Tue 11 Oct 2016, 17:41:25

regardingpo wrote:I bet he's gonna start arguing with you and tell you that your answer somehow doesn't count. You have to tell him THAT YOU SPECIFICALLY RIGHT NOW are making money on it. Otherwise it doesn't count for him. LOL.

Turns out we're talking to someone to whom we need to spell out why knowing the price of oil at some point in the future is useful.

QED, as some prominent members say.

For how long will this bacchanalia go on on these pages?
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Observerbrb » Tue 11 Oct 2016, 18:04:55

radon1 wrote:
Observerbrb wrote:Now, let me ask you a couple of questions:

What does it have to do with the analysis in the OP? And before you attempt to obfuscate the matters further, I'll take trouble of providing the answer for you: It has nothing to do with the analysis in the OP.

You took the trolling to a whole new level. If you didn't notice, this thread is about Economics vs ETP. I decided to support my argument talking about economics, and I get this despicable trolling from you since the beginning. Moreover, I gave you more than one opportunity to start a serious discussion, only to realize that you even dare to blame me for doing what you exactly do.

Your behaviour is simple and pure trolling, since you don't want to discuss my points.
Observerbrb
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Observerbrb » Tue 11 Oct 2016, 18:07:38

ROCKMAN wrote:Observer - Mucho thanks. And now who is Ludlum and what exact utility has he used the model for? Assuming it was more then posting his own graphs and views. Thanks in advance.

You're welcome.

You should ask him on the economic-undertow blog. I only know that he won a Pulitzer for the NYT cover of 9/11 attacks (he took the picture that morning), but I guess this is not related to the topic in any form.

He has used the model to reduce the consumption of petroleum-based products. I don't know if he drives a car anymore. Anyway, you should ask him again.

BR
Observerbrb
Coal
Coal

Unread postby radon1 » Tue 11 Oct 2016, 18:56:42

Observerbrb wrote: I decided to support my argument

Look, I've told you that you free to go.

In any event, you do not have an argument to support. I have already explained why, see above. I am not interested in discussing your "points" as they are irrelevant and trivial; you may hold these discussions elsewhere. I was only interested in your substantiating your claim that the OP is "flawed". And you failed it. Have a nice day.
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Observerbrb » Tue 11 Oct 2016, 19:39:40

radon1 wrote:
Observerbrb wrote: I decided to support my argument

Look, I've told you that you free to go.

In any event, you do not have an argument to support. I have already explained why, see above. I am not interested in discussing your "points" as they are irrelevant and trivial; you may hold these discussions elsewhere. I was only interested in your substantiating your claim that the OP is "flawed". And you failed it. Have a nice day.

They are irrelevant and trivial because you don't like the answer, and you know that they support my argument. You also know that the Economic analysis is incomplete if you don't add this debt into the equation.

Tanada said that the price oil slump which occurred after 2008 discouraged many here, because they seemed to think that the PO theory was discredited as the prices didn't rise endlessly. My answer was that he didn't factor in the debt variable. The economy can withstand high oil prices for some time, but it cannot withstand huge debt levels without constraining the consumption of basic resources and deflating their price.

Considering that these resources require more energy and resources over time to be produced, the result is what you are seeing now. After economies were overflowing with debt (first private/then losses were socialized, owned by everyone - a political decission), and interest rates were lowered to their maximum possible level, the consumer experienced a constrained ability to push the price of raw materials up. Then, It was the time of Oil and other commodities producing companies to start taking on unsustainable amounts of debt, experience financial losses, cut jobs/spending and focus on consuming the reserves they already possess (Exploration of new projects came to a halt in this regard)-

I always try to get the bigger picture. It's a pity that you don't. I also sincerely wish that someone could reply me in a polite way.

BR
Observerbrb
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Observerbrb » Tue 11 Oct 2016, 19:59:25

It seems that the IMF agrees with my assessment. (Someone just uploaded the following article)

http://peakoil.com/consumption/mammoth- ... oil-demand
Observerbrb
Coal
Coal

Unread postby ralfy » Tue 11 Oct 2016, 21:10:31

Tanada wrote:
Generally held? I don't think that is an accurate assessment. Many of us pointed out that such a rapid rise in price to that level was neither likely nor sustainable. Nobody would be buying oil at those prices other than what was absolutely essential, which would cause a massive recession, destroy demand and lower prices to a more sustainable level.

The cadre of members who were advocates of that fast crash scenario of instant doom from unrestrained price rises were never a majority here. After oil peaked at $147/bbl in 2008 and then crashed along with demand through spring 2009 most of them either moderated their views or just dropped out of the website to pursue their disproven beliefs elsewhere.

As a point of fact I just did a search. You have been banging the drum of your thermodynamic misunderstanding of oil production since all the way back in 2007. Possibly longer. When the world civilization refused to collapse from the 2008 excursion to $147/bbl you went quiet for a while trying to come up with some way of explaining away the real world based on your thermodynamic beliefs.

Eventually you came up with ETP and started hyping that theory, with its shiny new bells and whistles. As it so happens you started hyping it right about the time the world oil supply was exceeding world oil demand for $90/bbl oil. To the casual observer it appeared you had predicted the price collapse because of your deeply flawed Thermodynamic theory of economics.

The only thing that has been driving oil prices is the same supply/demand dynamic that has always driven oil prices. Your obsession with your misunderstanding of thermodynamics aside only your hard core acolytes have any faith in your theory.

You have been told for years around here that economists, oil companies, geologists, banks and average people with common sense use the classic concept of supply and demand to make their decisions about investing in or consumption of petroleum. You have insisted that everyone who does not buy into your thermodynamic theory of 'real' oil production and consumption dynamics is ignorant, uneducated or just plain unable to understand. You usually throw in some childish insults about the intelligence of those who disagree with you along side your other disclaimers.

EROEI or ERoEI aka thermodynamics influence price because they influence the cost of production. When your EROEI is 250:1 vs 25:1 clearly your cost per unit of production is very different so you have some validity up to that point. Nobody, as has been pointed out to you endlessly, uses that EROEI to make decisions about producing the next well or building the next refinery. Thermodynamics says one thing about oil production, you have to invest energy to get energy back out of the system. It does not say that anyone's return of energy in the form of refined products consumers demand is dependent on the type of energy put into the process. You can quite easily take Methane from Natural Gas, run it through a modern Fischer–Tropsch chemical plant and produce Diesel Fuel, Kerosene, Gasoline and other longer chain hydrocarbons. People instantly proclaim this is EROEI negative because the process requires energy to run and from the thermodynamic viewpoint this is 100 percent correct.

It is also 100 percent irrelevant to the economic equation driving the decision to put methane through the Fischer–Tropsch process. The economic decision is based on the cost of the Fischer–Tropsch plant to build and maintain, the cost of the Methane raw material, and the value of the product stream that comes out of the process. By the same token a modern Petroleum refinery is not an EROEI positive process either. Crude oil goes into the refinery and frequently methane also goes in to supply hydrogen for the cracking unit of the refinery. Refined products come out the other end along with a lot of waste heat. Thermodynamically the equation balances, X calories of Petroleum and Natural Gas and often Electricity go into the refinery. X-(refining energy loss as waste heat) of refined products come out the other end of the process. Some of those refined products, like Asphalt for example, are converted from a burnable portion of crude oil into a road matrix binding material and are disbursed in such a way that their caloric value is irrelevant. The same is true of rubber and plastic products that ultimately end up in a landfill somewhere. In other words a very important percentage of the Energy in the Crude Petroleum when it enters the refinery is lost into products that are not used for energy purposes. The EROEI of a Crude oil refinery is terrible!

So why do we refine oil and lose all that energy? It is entirely possible to build diesel engines tuned to burn crude oil, that would let us get the most energy out of the petroleum possible. So why do we waste all that energy refining crude oil? Economics. Economically, the value to the consumer of the refinery products is much higher than the value of the crude oil burned directly in a diesel engine. That difference in value allows the refining companies to buy crude oil and methane and electricity, operate and maintain their refinery as well as paying hundreds or thousands of employees, and still return a profit to their shareholders.

(The ETP model,Total Production Energy) The model is derived from the fundamental physical properties of petroleum, First and Second Law statements, and the cumulative production history of petroleum.

This concept is flawed because you can not know the actual values of the variables you model is based upon. Petroleum is not one physical product with one set of properties, it is thousands of different molecular weight hydrocarbons. Those hydrocarbons are arranged in chains, rings, helixes and every variation on those themes you can imagine. Those varied organic compounds are contaminated with different co-produced non organic compounds ranging from but not limited to sulfur, iodine, vanadium, selenium, cobalt, manganese, iron oxides, and a great many more. Not only are no two fields chemically identical, often a well is not identical to the one nearby in the same field.

You also have a problem understanding the laws of Thermodynamics.
The first law, also known as Law of Conservation of Energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed in an isolated system. Energy can not be created or destroyed in an isolated system. To put it as plainly as possible, the energy in an atom of matter stays exactly the same unless some outside source adds to or subtracts energy from it. For an atom of any material to cool it has to lose energy through radiation or conduction. For an atom of any material to gain energy it has to be impinged upon by radiant energy from outside, or have energy added through conduction i.e. physical contact.

Entropy, commonly called the second law. I presume the model uses the weakly defined version of Entropy meaning the remaining energy in the system is no longer available to do "useful work".
By that definition all the waste heat that comes out of your refinery in my earlier example is "entropy". The problem with using this definition is pretty simple, it assumes that because the energy is being rejected as waste heat its potential has been tapped to the greatest extent possible. This is clearly not the case due to the physics involved. What I mean is, it is entirely feasible to design and install a heat exchanger to the refinery to collect and concentrate that waste heat, use it to create a pressure differential in some fluid and spin a turbine to produce mechanical work or generate electricity. So why don't they do that? There are millions of watts of thermal energy being just dumped into the environment instead of being put to useful work! Economics. Oh rats that ugly word again? Yes, it is cheaper for the refinery to expel all that waste heat than it is to convert it into useful work because they have access to outside sources of electricity. It is even cheaper in most places to just vent it instead of using it for district heating systems like they use in Scandinavia to make use of otherwise 'waste' heat energy. IOW the 'entropy' of the refinery in this example is not a lack of useful potential, it is simply a matter of convenience for the refiner. It is easier and cheaper to hook up to an outside electricity supplier and only use that connection as a supply input than it would be to build an on site heat exchanger and generator that would feed excess power into the grid for sale to the utility companies. This is not 'real' entropy, this is just wasteful use of energy. IOW this is not the inability to retrieve useful work, it is unwillingness due to economics.

When you can not know the exact conditions of each well in each field you can not calculate the 'useful work' you can get from the oil produced by that field or well. Even worse there is no scientific definition of 'useful' work to fall back upon. The closest you can come is the law of diminishing returns, the closer you get to 100 percent efficiency the harder it is to make a useful increase in efficiency. In the 1976 a common natural gas burning furnace for a home was about 60 percent efficient. That is to say 60 percent of the total energy in the fuel before burning was turned into 'useful' heat in the home the furnace was warming. Today home Natural Gas furnaces are all at least 80 percent efficient and most new furnaces are 90 percent efficient or more. The cost difference to go from a 1956 furnace that was 50 percent efficient to a 1976 furnace that was 60 percent efficient was a trivial cost. To go from 60 percent in 1976 to the 80 percent standard of 1986 was a little more expensive to build and maintain, but the fuel savings paid back the cost fairly rapidly. Going to the modern 90 percent efficiency was a bigger cost, and only worthwhile when natural gas costs were high. You can go all the way to certified 98.5 percent efficient furnaces today if you so desire, but the increased cost and complexity is substantial and the maintenance costs are significant.

This is the law of diminishing returns and it applies to everything including oil wells. The example that is commonly used is, the higher the water cut the less total energy return from the well for the energy put in pumping. This is true so far as it goes, but does that make a difference in if the well is produced or not? Not directly. Say your well has a 50 percent water cut. That means you are using energy in to produce 2 barrels of mixed liquid, one of water and one of oil. Depending on what country you are in and the environmental laws you have to do something with that produced water and it can range from dumping it in the local drainage ditch to paying someone a fairly significant sum to haul it away and inject it into another well. This range of options makes it impossible to know how much additional energy is required besides the simple pumping to get the mixed fluid to the surface. The higher the water cut the more energy used on the Energy In side of the equation. But does the oil producer care? No, what the oil producer cares about is the cost to produce the oil, along with the ancillary expenses like disposal of produced water, and the price they get for the produced oil at time of sale. Even worse wells are not all produced by the same method. Some have natural drive that forces the fluids up the well pipe. Some use internal combustion engine powered pumps burning natural gas or crude oil produced by the well to pump the well. Some have artificial drive where water or CO2 or Nitrogen are pumped into the field not too far away from the extraction well. Some use electric motors supplied by generators or off site utility hook ups. There are probably other options beyond those five I am not overly familiar with.

It boils down to this, if the producer can sell the oil and make a profit they will, if the well or field is losing money they evaluate the prospects of future profits and either shut in or cap the wells they do not see a future profit coming from.

Understanding is easy, if the Producer can earn a living pulling oil out of a well they will. If they lose too much money pulling oil out of their wells they will go bankrupt and stop doing so. If the energy to produce that oil is cheap electricity or cheap natural gas they will be able to produce that oil even if the sale price is much lower than they want it to be. If they need to use 2 calories of cheap methane for every 1 calorie of crude oil they sell but the methane is cheap and the oil is highly priced then they will do so, despite the fact that the well has a negative energy return on energy invested. Producers go into the oil production business to make money. If they can make money with solar powered well pumps or wind powered pumps like farmers used in the 1920's despite the fact that they have to invest 2, or 4 or 8 times as much energy into the barrel of oil they produce than the consumer gets out of it then they will smile and count their profits.

The global economy did not collapse years ago likely because it had been experiencing problems similar to a collapse for decades. That is, most human beings earn only around three dollars daily and can barely access one or more basic needs.

The problem, then, isn't so much avoiding a collapse but getting out of the one that humanity is in. That is, not just ensuring basic needs of the global population but even meeting demand of a growing global middle class. The latter, in turn, will require more than one earth. To complicate matters, that same global population grow multi-fold during the same decades, and a combination of environmental damage and global warming are taking their toll. Add to that credit levels that need to be backed by even more resource and energy use.

And then there's the presence of capitalist systems, where the goal is not simply to profit but to increase profits, with the main reason being competition. Perhaps in a simpler world the goal would be to make money. Apparently, in this one, the goal is to make more money.

The implication, is that the energy and resources needed to back up that money will have to increase readily as well. In short, the opposite of diminishing returns has to take place.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby radon1 » Wed 12 Oct 2016, 01:25:20

ralfy wrote: but even meeting demand of a growing global middle class.

How do you know that the global middle class will grow?

(And what is the point in this insane quotation of the entire article? It takes awful lot of space with no purpose.)
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby regardingpo » Wed 12 Oct 2016, 04:18:22

radon1 wrote:
regardingpo wrote:I bet he's gonna start arguing with you and tell you that your answer somehow doesn't count. You have to tell him THAT YOU SPECIFICALLY RIGHT NOW are making money on it. Otherwise it doesn't count for him. LOL.

I'm gonna stop now because I proved my point conclusively and rockman is simply refusing to accept it. He clearly has some personal problem with this issue, and you can't convince crazy.
regardingpo
Peat
Peat

Unread postby radon1 » Wed 12 Oct 2016, 04:37:01

regardingpo wrote:
radon1 wrote:

I'm gonna stop now because I proved my point conclusively and rockman is simply refusing to accept it. He clearly has some personal problem with this issue, and you can't convince crazy.

Rockman's question is totally valid, and so far he has not received any meaningful answer from the originators of the so-called "model".

My point is not with rockman's question, my point is that "the promotion" of the so-called "model" that we observe, may be construed as being an illicit activity.
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby regardingpo » Wed 12 Oct 2016, 05:51:28

radon1 wrote:Rockman's question is totally valid, and so far he has not received any meaningful answer from the originators of the so-called "model".

My point is not with rockman's question, my point is that "the promotion" of the so-called "model" that we observe, may be construed as being an illicit activity.

radon1, you are asking if the model is accurate (and if not - whether the creators are deliberately deceiving people). Your questions are valid and important, and there are debates about that in Q&A topics.

But rockman is not asking that, his question is ridiculous. He wants posters to name people who use the model. Even if the answer to his question is that millions of people are using it for something, it doesn't prove anything, that's how stupid his question is.
Case in point: Millions of people use astrology to predict the future, but that doesn't prove anything about the validity of astrology.

The model was right so far. It's undeniable that it was. In 2014 it correctly predicted the price of oil in 2015 and 2016. Or more accurately the upper boundary of that price. Therefore it COULD HAVE BEEN used for making money. Whether someone was personally doing it or not doesn't matter.

Finally, I distinctly remember that a few people have told rockman in the past that YES, THEY ARE USING THE MODEL TO BET ON THE PRICE OF OIL but he completely ignores that. If you care to find those instances, read old topics and read comments under old news articles.

I'm out of this topic now, seriously. I know someone is still gonna keep arguing, but that's their problem.
regardingpo
Peat
Peat

Unread postby radon1 » Wed 12 Oct 2016, 06:15:50

regardingpo wrote:radon1, you are asking if the model is accurate

I am not asking anything, this "model" is fake as far as I am concerned. It does not have the object, and as such it simply does not exist as a model.

But rockman is not asking that, his question is ridiculous. He wants posters to name people who use the model.

His question is what is the utility of the model. No meaningful answer so far.

The only meaningful attempt was the one from you - you are saying that the model predicts the oil prices. If so, then you are on thin ice.
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby regardingpo » Wed 12 Oct 2016, 08:02:27

All right, I'll play along a bit more since you're making some good points unlike rockman.

radon1 wrote:
regardingpo wrote:radon1, you are asking if the model is accurate

I am not asking anything, this "model" is fake as far as I am concerned. It does not have the object, and as such it simply does not exist as a model.

Either way, you are concerned with model's validity. The main point you're making is that the model is invalid. Based on that point you claim the the model is useless. That is a logically sound train of thought.

But that's not rockman's point. He is claiming that whether the model is correct or not, it's useless. He repeatedly keeps saying that he doesn't care if the model is valid or not, only if it's useful or not. He is repeatedly saying something like that for EROEI as well.

Can you answer two questions for me, radon1, just to clear up the confusion between us:
1. Assume for sakes of argument that ETP model is valid and accurate. Would you consider it useful in that case?
2. Do you think the concept of EROEI is valid and do you think it's useful to know about it?

radon1 wrote:you are saying that the model predicts the oil prices. If so, then you are on thin ice.

I am saying that it has successfully predicted the upper boundary of oil prices in the past few years. In other words it predicted the recent decline in price, since the starting point was outside the boundary. That is an observable fact and there's nothing to debate about.

I'm not gonna argue against you if you don't believe that the model will be able to predict the price of oil in the future. That's fine, it's possible that the model was right by accident and I accept that. That was the case with many past models actually.

I asked for clarification in another topic from the model's creator, and his claim is that the long-term trend is that oil price will go down. He allows for the possibility that his predicted upper boundary can be exceeded, but if that happens it will only last a short period of time and lead to demand destruction and the price will quickly drop below the boundary again.
regardingpo
Peat
Peat

PreviousNext

Return to Peak oil studies, reports & models