Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Ebola Pandemic ?!? Pt. 6

Discussions related to the physiological and psychological effects of peak oil on our members and future generations.

Re: Ebola - Time to Stock Up

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Fri 19 Sep 2014, 07:45:47

More people are dying from bee stings at the moment
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Fri 19 Sep 2014, 11:14:52

Flu season starts in a month or so, and then we'll see some serious casualties from a really dangerous virus.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AgentR11 » Fri 19 Sep 2014, 16:36:37

KaiserJeep wrote:Flu season starts in a month or so, and then we'll see some serious casualties from a really dangerous virus.

I agree completely. Ebola is popcorn, Influenza is Death Incarnate as far as I'm concerned. Dang thing tries to kill me each time I've failed to take all realistic precautions; beat me up for a month once, even in spite of having got the vaccine.

Want to watch terrified medical staff? Walk into an office where you got the flu vaccine earlier in the year.. and test positive for influenza.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Fri 19 Sep 2014, 16:56:26

Really. In 1918-1919 the "Spanish Influenza" killed six times as many people as did WWI. More than did all the plagues of the Middle Ages. In fact, more people died from the Spanish Influenza than existed on the planet in the Middle Ages.

In spite of the name, the virus is believed to have originated in China. There where people live in close proximity to pigs and chickens, both of which are reservoirs of viruses that frequently jump back and forth from one species to another.

The most frightened I have ever been was when my 14 month old baby girl was hospitalized with her first influenza, and ended up laying on a rubber sheet with ice water cooling her extreme fever, and getting fluids through an IV tube because she could not drink. Had it been the 19th century instead of the late 20th, I believe that she would have died.

I get my flu shot every year. I am old enough to be in the second group of people at risk after young children.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 19 Sep 2014, 18:07:11

Listen up, @$$fVcks.

THERE IS NO OTHER DISEASE OR CONDITION ON EARTH RIGHT NOW THAT HAS A 60-90% MORTALITY RATE AND IS GROWING AT AN EXPONENTIAL (at least) RATE, THAT HAS BEEN LOOSED UPON THE EARTH AT THIS TIME.

(If I am wrong, please do inform me. If you don't have a flying f'n clue what exponential growth rate implies...oh, I give up :cry: )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP62NM50zVY
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby AgentR11 » Fri 19 Sep 2014, 19:23:02

Well, you're welcome to get excited about ebola specifically, but the precautions and preps you might make are identical. Only they're alot more effective against ebola, than they are against influenza. And I, personally, am quite vulnerable to influenza as has been demonstrated to me over the years.

Now, that doesn't mean ebola isn't a problem, or could even become huge; comparing the two, its got a lot of ground to cover before it even comes close to Influenza. Though admittedly, dieing of ebola is messier than dieing of influenza; but its also faster, sorta a consolation prize of mercy I guess.

Now, as to stocking up... I try to keep a 3 month pantry; with the basic idea that me and family could stay on our little spot for three months without outside food or water and not have anything to horrible happen. Shelter in place, and don't be curious. Best odds.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 19 Sep 2014, 22:54:54

Good points, A. Sorry for the all-caps.

It's my birthday, and I'll cap if I want to! :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsYJyVEUaC4
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby vox_mundi » Sat 20 Sep 2014, 12:03:29

d - sounds like it was a good party

odds and ends from the ether

CIDRAP – Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy suggest respirators for all Ebola healthcare workers – aerosol transmissibility of virus in question
http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspect ... tion-ebola
...We believe there is scientific and epidemiologic evidence that Ebola virus has the potential to be transmitted via infectious aerosol particles both near and at a distance from infected patients, which means that healthcare workers should be wearing respirators, not facemasks. The minimum level of protection in high-risk settings should be a respirator with an assigned protection factor greater than 10. A powered air-purifying respirator (PAPR) with a hood or helmet offers many advantages over an N95 filtering face-piece or similar respirator, being more protective, comfortable, and cost-effective in the long run.

Hospital viability during a pandemic outbreak
http://cgsc.contentdm.oclc.org/utils/ge ... singleitem
The Utilization of Military and Contractor Security During a Pandemic
Another issue and secondary research question is should either the military or private security be utilized to augment security at hospitals during a pandemic? The simple answer is yes, based upon the incidences found in the case studies and DOD policy in the literature review. The case studies noted contracted security with automatic weapons standing at the front of hospitals in Mexico as a show of force during the initial panic of the 2009 H1N1 swine flu outbreak (Penhaul 2009).

• Employ armed security guards at the entrance of the facility to assist in guiding patients, providing face masks, issuing badges, and checking for contraband or weapons
• Employ armed security guards at the pharmacy to protect the limited stocks of medications used during a PI outbreak
• Employ armed security in the Emergency Department, especially if utilizing another entrance for influenza patients

Privatized paramilitary security contractors may be an alternative to the National Guard or active duty forces if they are not available for service. Contracts should be made prior to a pandemic occurring to ensure availability of contractors when needed.

Military forces also have the mission to provide security during a large-scale vaccination program entailing transportation, distribution, and security of the hospitals or clinics providing the mass vaccination. The final mission tasked to the military is to restore order in the case of civil instability (Department of Defense 2006). A moderate to severe pandemic will require the use of private contractors or military to secure medications, vaccinations, and provide much needed security during certain operations.

Logistics During a Pandemic

As the study indicated in the comparative case study matrix, it is suggested hospitals stockpile a minimum of eight weeks of consumable supplies prior to the occurrence of a pandemic (Avery et al. 2008). This is contrary to the recent business practice, which minimizes supply inventories to cut costs called ―just in time logistics. Some institutions will need to revamp their strategic plans enabling them to make the suggested logistical preparations.
vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 20 Sep 2014, 17:21:11

"respirators for all Ebola healthcare workers – aerosol transmissibility of virus in question"

That ought to help make the healthcare workers look even more scary!

dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby vox_mundi » Sat 20 Sep 2014, 17:50:17

Wonder how long Ebola virus hangs around?

Survival of Influenza Virus on Banknotes
http://oaister.worldcat.org/title/survi ... ef_results

Successful control of a viral disease requires knowledge of the different vectors that could promote its transmission among hosts. We assessed the survival of human influenza viruses on banknotes given that billions of these notes are exchanged daily worldwide. Banknotes were experimentally contaminated with representative influenza virus subtypes at various concentrations, and survival was tested after different time periods. Influenza A viruses tested by cell culture survived up to 3 days when they were inoculated at high concentrations. The same inoculum in the presence of respiratory mucus showed a striking increase in survival time (up to 17 days). Similarly, B/Hong Kong/335/2001 virus was still infectious after 1 day when it was mixed with respiratory mucus. When nasopharyngeal secretions of naturally infected children were used, influenza virus survived for at least 48 h in one-third of the cases. The unexpected stability of influenza virus in this nonbiological environment suggests that unusual environmental contamination should be considered in the setting of pandemic preparedness.
vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Withnail » Sat 20 Sep 2014, 18:08:56

vox_mundi wrote:The Ebola virus seems to me stepping outside the R-naught boundary for the virus [R0 = 1-4] and approaching the R-naught of airborne viruses [R0 = 6-12+]

You are not going to die from Ebola you big baby.
Withnail
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vox_mundi » Sat 20 Sep 2014, 18:29:59

You are not going to die from Ebola you big baby

I know. I have a horse race going between Cancer, Parkinsons and a Heart Attack/Stroke.

Ebola is the least of my problems. But, they're others that have a longer timeline in front of them.
vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Withnail » Sat 20 Sep 2014, 18:42:56

vox_mundi wrote:
You are not going to die from Ebola you big baby

I know. I have a horse race going between Cancer, Parkinsons and a Heart Attack/Stroke.

Ebola is the least of my problems. But, they're others that have a longer timeline in front of them.

Oh I'm sorry to hear that.

Sounds like the same horse race I have going.
Withnail
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vox_mundi » Sat 20 Sep 2014, 19:56:03

We each have our part to play in this great adventure. Make the most of the time you have.

Maybe we'll get it right next time.
vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby vox_mundi » Sat 20 Sep 2014, 20:06:18

D- I'm partial to those medieval respirators

http://www.quirkytravel.com/miscellaneo ... sk-venice/
vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 21 Sep 2014, 23:21:57

Yeah, those are pretty scary looking. But they obviously were on to something.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby JuanP » Fri 26 Sep 2014, 12:36:09

I like Ibon's vision of a depopulated world reclaimed by apex predators, but it is a pipe dream. Humans will destroy and eat everything as we freeze and starve for decades. A couple of years after collapse all wildlife will be gone, even rats will be scarce.
In Florida, the gators, crocs, bears, sharks, and panthers wouldn't last a year after protection stopped being enforced, if people were hungry. And I think that is many of the apex predators East of the Great Plains.
All forests will be burned for heating, cooking, and industrial purposes.
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 26 Sep 2014, 13:01:06

Sadly, I think you're right, Juan.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 26 Sep 2014, 20:42:31

Agreed.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 26 Sep 2014, 21:15:58

JuanP wrote:I like Ibon's vision of a depopulated world reclaimed by apex predators, but it is a pipe dream. Humans will destroy and eat everything as we freeze and starve for decades. A couple of years after collapse all wildlife will be gone, even rats will be scarce.
In Florida, the gators, crocs, bears, sharks, and panthers wouldn't last a year after protection stopped being enforced, if people were hungry. And I think that is many of the apex predators East of the Great Plains.
All forests will be burned for heating, cooking, and industrial purposes.
I don't think it is that bad. What person today could successfully hunt and eat a panther? Game populations will take a dive as humans look to them as a means of survival but as soon as the average days hunt returns less energy then that expended by the hunters things will level out. People wanting to harvest forest faster then they can replenish themselves will get shot.
The owners of the land will not let themselves be raped and pillaged without a fight.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

PreviousNext

Return to Medical Issues Forum