Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Donate to PeakOil.com

Say hello, learn how to register, read the rules, get staff announcements.

Re: Would you donate for a new board/server?

Unread postby Aaron » Mon 29 Oct 2007, 12:25:02

davep wrote:
Phebagirl wrote:Good day from Pheba, from the farm: Hubby and I are good for 50.00. Just tell me when to send, where to send, and how to do it. Pheba

On the left_hand pane, there's a donate button in the Donat-O-Meter window. Or click here. It uses paypal.

Aaron, are you on target for this month?

Indeed we are... & much thanks to everyone for their contributions.

In word & deed.
The problem is, of course, that not only is economics bankrupt, but it has always been nothing more than politics in disguise... economics is a form of brain damage.

Hazel Henderson
Aaron
Resting in Peace

Unread postby spot5050 » Tue 27 Nov 2007, 21:10:26

Aaron I would like to make a donation of an amount that would make it worth your while to move to a new board/server, if I can afford it.
spot5050
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby lys3rg0 » Sun 02 Dec 2007, 08:17:31

phpBB v3 is out, that could be an alternative if the vBulletin option has any problems like datbase conversion and stuff.
lys3rg0
Lignite
Lignite

Location: 'bout 15 miles from EU's eastern border (thankfully on the inside)

Unread postby Narz » Sun 02 Dec 2007, 14:01:15

lys3rg0 wrote:How about a conversion of the whole forum to vBulletin? Wouldn't that speed up things?

I second that motion.
“Seek simplicity but distrust it”
Narz
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby FreakOil » Tue 08 Jan 2008, 04:41:24

How would I safely send cash from Hong Kong? I have a bank account but no checks, and my money is in HK dollars.
FreakOil
Coal
Coal

Unread postby GreyGhost » Tue 08 Jan 2008, 05:15:35

Narz wrote:
lys3rg0 wrote:How about a conversion of the whole forum to vBulletin? Wouldn't that speed up things?

I second that motion.

Third

I was going to suggest running it on one of those pre-existing group server sites like google groups or yahoo groups or (there are many others). Just picking whichever one gives the greatest similarity to the current system. Then you can set up www.peakoil.com to forward to the other address.

But if you really want to run the software yourself, then there are surely many off the shelf downloadables like vBulletin. What is it currently, hand-crafted scripts? That seems like a huge waste of effort.
GreyGhost
Peat
Peat

Unread postby bodigami » Mon 16 Jun 2008, 23:54:17

Yes, IF:

1) the payment can be done over an encrypted conection using credit/debit cards (more international)
2) the new software supports unicode (more international)
3) open source is used (better ROI)
bodigami
Permanently Banned

Unread postby ZombieMalthus » Tue 17 Jun 2008, 01:02:20

zensui wrote:Yes, IF:

1) the payment can be done over an encrypted conection using credit/debit cards (more international)
2) the new software supports unicode (more international)
3) open source is used (better ROI)

Ah, they upgraded the servers last week, chief.
ZombieMalthus
Wood
Wood

Suggestion to help pay for servers

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 24 Nov 2008, 22:28:13

From time to time PO.com has had a tip jar or donation link but niether one seems to work very well. I was thinking about it today and a large number of web sites have two sides, a free side for everyone in the general public and a subscriber side for people who want to be seriously involved in the website. Specifically I am thinking of personallity sites like Glennbeck.com where you can get a ton of free stuff as a member of the general public but where a few nominal extra's are availible if you subscribe to the web site as a paying member.

So how about if you want to visit the subscriber side it costs you a dollar a month, something cheap for the ole timers but still a money raiser for the website. You could make it different levels based on years of participation, the 04 crowd gets the most extra's and so on to encourage people to stay with an old handle instead of changing all the time.

Yes/No/Maybe/Crazy idea?
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Suggestion to help pay for servers

Unread postby Gerben » Tue 25 Nov 2008, 01:17:12

I have been thinking about something similar.
To be usefull a pay site has to offer something extra. It's no use thinking about this unless you have a good offer on the table to make people pay.
What triggered me was that the website was very slow from time to time. Perhaps it is possible to make the website a bit faster for paying members. It is working fine now, but it will be much slower again once the oil price goes back up. I am not an IT expert, so I'm not sure how easy something like this would be to implement.
Another thing that payment could do remove limits, such as larger Avatars, Signatures and the ability to incorporate larger pictures in posts (some peopel upload huge pictures etc in their posts, so perhaps free members should have some limits there). Using limitations for free members could decrease server load while triggering people to pay. Ofc. the limits should not stop people from posting: content is the biggest value of this website.
Gerben
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Location: Holland, Belgica Foederata (Republic of the Seven United Netherlands)

Unread postby lowem » Tue 25 Nov 2008, 01:33:40

The terms and conditions prevent the site owner from saying this, but there is nothing to prevent *me* from saying it :

Click on the ads! :lol:
Live quotes - oil/gold/silver
lowem
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Sixstrings » Tue 25 Nov 2008, 01:50:42

I voted no, not because I'm a grinch, just my finances are tight and I'm very wary of taking on any recurring subscriptions with anything.

Maybe a good solution would be to add features for the paid memberships without taking away what people get for free at present.

Some kind of premium membership with perks like an email address @peakoil.com, maybe some free ads for those who have business ventures that would interest the community, etc.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Quinny » Tue 25 Nov 2008, 03:29:15

Good point!

lowem wrote:The terms and conditions prevent the site owner from saying this, but there is nothing to prevent *me* from saying it :

Click on the ads! :lol:
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby MD » Tue 25 Nov 2008, 06:20:32

Nice idea but we don't have any behind-pay-wall content to offer, and none is planned (that I'm aware of, that is).
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby uNkNowN ElEmEnt » Tue 25 Nov 2008, 06:21:54

yeah, if everyone clicked one or two ads every day.... But would that make a difference? or how much of one?
uNkNowN ElEmEnt
Expert
Expert

Unread postby lowem » Tue 25 Nov 2008, 23:22:01

uNkNowN ElEmEnt wrote:yeah, if everyone clicked one or two ads every day.... But would that make a difference? or how much of one?

Depending on the target audience and traffic levels, it should be possible to get at least a few hundred dollars per month. That should be enough to sponsor a couple of dedicated servers.

For Google Adsense, each click is worth anything between 1 cent to 1 dollar, typically let's say 15 cents each.

5000 clicks per month at 15 cents each on average should translate into around $750 per month.

So, yeah. There you are.

Click on the ads! :)
Live quotes - oil/gold/silver
lowem
Expert
Expert

Unread postby drgoodword » Sun 08 Mar 2009, 15:16:25

Why doesn't PeakOil.com have an annual donation drive lasting for a month? A lot of other sites do this and take in enough to keep running.
drgoodword

Unread postby Pops » Sun 08 Mar 2009, 18:31:37

We are a volunteer community - but:

IMHO, we don't need a server fund, it seems the server works fine and is being paid.

What we need a stipend for someone like Shanny or MD or twilliam to take care of what seems the inevitable software trials of any site of our standing.

These three are here whenever they can, to do whatever they can, on a volunteer basis, perhaps they need some recompense for those efforts.

So?
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Kristen » Sun 08 Mar 2009, 18:33:42

I could try to set up a server here/
Kristen
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sun 08 Mar 2009, 18:40:29

An easy way to accomplish this would be a "donate here" PayPal button. My guess is that the membership would be most comfortable with that kind of arrangement. Nobody would feel pressured to commit to monthly contributions, and those who can afford it could donate whenever they choose to.

There are some little tricks you can do that actually help with donations. Ron Paul's site did very well in part, I suspect, because they had a flashy little doodad that listed the most recent contributors and how much they gave. Believe it or not, people like to see their name on the screen. ;)

You could also have some kind of status tag for donors, like "community supporter" or some such.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome