Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

DOE releases five-year strategic plan, 2014-2018

Discuss research and forecasts regarding hydrocarbon depletion.

DOE releases five-year strategic plan, 2014-2018

Unread postby Graeme » Tue 08 Apr 2014, 19:57:46

DOE releases five-year strategic plan, 2014-2018; supporting “all of the above” energy strategy

The US Department of Energy (DOE) released its five-year 2014-2018 Strategic Plan. The plan is organized into 12 strategic objectives aimed at three distinct goals: Science and Energy; Nuclear Security; and Management and Performance. These objectives represent broad cross-cutting and collaborative efforts across DOE headquarters, site offices, and national laboratories.

The overarching goal for Science and Energy is: “Advance foundational science, innovate energy technologies, and inform data driven policies that enhance US economic growth and job creation, energy security, and environmental quality, with emphasis on implementation of the President’s Climate Action Plan to mitigate the risks of and enhance resilience against climate change.” Under that, the plan sketches out 3 strategic goals:

Strategic Objective One: Advance the goals and objectives in the President’s Climate Action Plan by supporting prudent development, deployment, and efficient use of “all of the above” energy resources that also create new jobs and industries.

Strategic Objective Two: Support a more economically competitive, environmentally responsible, secure and resilient US energy infrastructure.

Strategic Objective 3: Deliver the scientific discoveries and major scientific tools that transform our understanding of nature and strengthen the connection between advances in fundamental science and technology innovation.

greencarcongress
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: DOE releases five-year strategic plan, 2014-2018

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 08 Apr 2014, 20:32:53

In actual practice "all of the above" means "all of the below", ie. fossil fuel production continues to boom under the O administration.

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Tue 08 Apr 2014, 22:04:15

P - you know what bothers me more then they just offer a list of goals and present them as methodology: the fact that they feel a "five year plan" is anywhere close enough to be an adequate time frame to accomplish anything meaningful. But given our four year POTUS election cycle what else should we expect? LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Paulo1 » Wed 09 Apr 2014, 09:41:07

re: "and inform data driven policies"....

They haven't done this yet, oh wait, US is an energy exporter and can use this 'new found might' to influence the world, and so on blah blah blah.

And with 2016 on the horizon, if data should portray the beginning of actual CC decline, will this even be talked about or noticed?

No, I think a march into the sunset is almost guaranteed at this point, right after everyone picks up their quart jar of seawater gasoline at $3.00/gal.

Paulo
Paulo1
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Pops » Wed 09 Apr 2014, 10:05:11

. . . and cut funding for data providers such as the EIA.

--
When I ask a client for what they want to get across in an ad, they almost always give me a laundry list of "specialties." I try to explain to them that the idea of "specialty" is concentrating on doing one thing better than everyone else and we should try to communicate that one thing

but I seldom succeed. LOL
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 09 Apr 2014, 13:32:46

Strategic Objective Two: Support a more economically competitive, environmentally responsible, secure and resilient US energy infrastructure.

Oxymoron perhaps? I doubt you can be economically competitive with China while being more environmentally responsible then they are. Much less be secure and resilient while Russia is the worlds largest exporter. But wait the first word in that sentence is "support" not achieve. A few kind words off a teleprompter here and there and all those good things will be Supported in a politicians mind.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 09 Apr 2014, 14:05:25

vt - And that's exactly the point I was trying to make about goals as opposed to the concrete plans to meet those goals. It as if they feel the idea of just stating such goals (whether there's a logical plan to do so) is what's more important. Often these essay are more about what OTHERS should be doing (with little or no advice on how to do it) then the author actually participating in the process. As we say down in the bayous where I grew up: It's difficult to remember that it was such a simple plan to drain the swamp when you up to your ass in alligators.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Return to Peak oil studies, reports & models