Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Denying Peak Oil and Grasping at Straws

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

optimism

Unread postby bart » Mon 29 Nov 2004, 01:12:42

Thank you TWilliam, Permanently_Baffled, and MonteQuest for restoring my faith in the possibility of reasoned discourse in the Forums!

I find myself more optimistic than you on the prospect of our coping with Peak Oil. Perhaps I could discuss my different perspective, using some of TWilliam's posts as starting points.

TWilliam wrote:As far as any techno-messiah goes, ANY addition of technology ultimately represents an increase in mass which requires an increased energy input to maintain. If it requires any form of finite resource to produce or maintain, it will inevitably lead to an acceleration of the very problem it seeks to resolve, even if it appears at first to ameliorate it...

I don't think this statement, as presently formulated, is true.

An addition of technology can very well lead to a decrease in mass and a decrease in required energy. Within my lifetime, the energy requirements for computation and radio communication have decreased by orders of magnitude (vacuum tubes -> transistors -> chips).

Likewise with systems, it is possible to replace an energy-intensive system (e.g., suburbia and personal vehicles) with a much less intense system (e.g., traditional city/country with less mobility, using walking and bicycles for personal locomotion.) It's possible to replace our present fossil fuel agriculture with traditional ("organic") agriculture.

I'm guessing that you mean something else than what you apparently said. Perhaps re-stating it or giving some examples might make it clearer.

It's important to distinguish between technology that aggravates the problem and technology that can alleviate it. Under the category of "good technology," I would list technology which is low-energy, resilient, recyclable, and local. "Bad technology" would be that which is high-powered, fragile, wasteful and centralized (and thus controlled by an elite).

Good technology is not always low tech. For example, I would disagree with Permanently_Baffled when he says;

I think if people had the choice between the heating and the PC they would go for the former.

There are many ways for people to stay warm (wood heat, clothes, insulation, etc.), so I would not waste high-quality energy on heat... but think what the 250 watts spent on a PC connected to the Internet can yield! Even a low-energy society will require computation, communication, and technical knowledge. What would it be worth to find a technique that doubles your potato crop? Or a medical remedy for a dying child? Got to find a way to keep those PCs running!

TWilliam wrote: Whether or not we conserve what's left for "key uses" is irrelevant to whether or not that point will be reached. It is simply one of the factors relating to how quickly that point is traversed as the fulcrum slides the other way, and thus it impacts only how rapid the descent, but not IF it will occur.

If you are saying that there will inevitably be an energy descent, I'd agree with you. The key question is how we negotiate the energy descent. We desperately need time for attitudes to change and new technologies to be developed.

Example of the importance of time: jumping out an airplane with a parachute versus without a parachute. In both cases one will fall thousands of feet and in both cases there will be an impact. The difference is that in one the process is spread out over time, and we can walk away from impact unharmed.

TWilliam wrote:Considering that studies in population dynamics have revealed a consistent pattern amongst all species when given virtually unrestricted access to a basic resource, namely that they subsequently overshoot their resource base (overshoot being defined as the point at which half of said resource has been depleted, also known as peak), experience at that point a doubling (at least) of population followed closely (i.e. within the lifecycle of the latest generation) by a precipitous drop in total population of around 90% (and in some cases complete extinction); I see no reason to expect that we shall escape a similar degree of decline (human arrogance regarding mathematical law notwithstanding).

You've nicely expressed an idea that commonly comes up on this board. There are several reasons I think the overshoot idea is weak when applied to humans.

First objection. It's risky to jump from a biological principle to generalizations about human society. We are an anomalous species because of culture -- our ability to learn and transmit knowledge. How could you predict agriculture, cities, exploitation of fossil fuels on the basis of biological studies?

Intellectual history is littered with crackpot theories and ominous worldviews (e.g., Social Darwinism), which based themselves on half-understood biological ideas. At most, biological ideas can serve as thought-provoking hypotheses. They can be useful AS LONG AS ONE RECOGNIZES THEIR LIMITATIONS.

Second objection. Overshoot is NOT a consistent pattern amongst all species. According to one textbook:

E.P. Odum p.126 wrote:In summary, some populations tend to be self-limiting in that the rate of growth decreases as the density increases. Such population growth can be said to be inversely density dependent. Other populations are not self-limited but tend to grow exponentially until checked by forces outside of the population (that is, other populations or general ecosystem limitations); such populations may overshoot their energy and habitat resources, literally crowding themselves to death in the case of plants, or eating themselves out of house and home, in the case of animals. Their population growth can be said to be density independent, at least until the density becomes very great.

(Ecology by E.P. Odum. 2nd ed, 1975... Sorry! I know it's old; it's what I have on hand right now.)

And these are only two simplified tendencies; in real life, the patterns are more complicated.

Actually, I am in qualified agreement with your overshoot idea. Like you, I believe the population will decrease, but unlike you I don't think it will necessarily decrease precipitiously, as if we were lemmings.

E.P. Odum p.128 wrote:...the size of most populations, even those with high reproductive potentials, remains remarkably constant year after year. As we have already pointed out, there is a general correlation between diversity and stability on the ecosystem level and homeostasis at the population level. That is, irruptions and outbreaks are more likely to occur where the biological structure is simplified, either by man or by severe natural limiting factors, or where there is a sudden increase in energy [!! fossil fuels !!] or resources that gives the opportunistic species a chance to grow exponentially.

Human population seems to have been relatively constant for most of our history -- which means that we are basically a self-limiting species. If we look at cultures throughout history, we find customs which tended to keep populations constant (one example, the tendency for hunter-gatherer cultures to space births out over time, e.g., by long-term breast feeding).

Human innovations, such as agriculture and fossil fuels, opened up resources for the population to grow to new, higher levels. Since innovation got us to this point, isn't it reasonable that innovation can help us adapt to the coming peak? (By innovation, I don't mean techno-fixes that enable us to keep our SUVs; I mean adapting our way of life to a low-energy reality.)

Some of the places to look for ideas:
1) History: in the past, how did people live on a fraction of the energy that we now squander?
2) Current low-energy cultures: Gotta get beyond our US (and European?) stereotypes and look for outselves.
3) Appropriate technology: Applying state-of-the-art science and engineering to the problem of sustainable living.

I'll admit that at the moment it's hard to feel optimistic in Bush's America.

On the other hand, it encourages me to see the many efforts underway in other countries, and to read how people in other periods of history have endured and prospered.
bart
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby pkofsocal » Mon 29 Nov 2004, 03:31:53

>It's important to distinguish between technology that aggravates the problem and technology that can alleviate it. Under the category of "good technology," I would list technology which is low-energy, resilient, recyclable, and local. "Bad technology" would be that which is high-powered, fragile, wasteful and centralized (and thus controlled by an elite).

The only thing is they are very interconnected.

It's like a 'side effect', which actually means 'undesired direct effect'. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

>Even a low-energy society will require computation, communication, and technical knowledge. What would it be worth to find a technique that doubles your potato crop? Or a medical remedy for a dying child? Got to find a way to keep those PCs running!

PB's brain is not sound because he watched too many soccer games.

The very reason internet was invented was to guarrantee communication would go on even after a nuclear attack.

>Second objection. Overshoot is NOT a consistent pattern amongst all species.

It's not consistent. In fact, the human overshoot from say 1500 to now is an unprecedented event which is very unlikely to be repeated again in a few hundred million years.

But it has happened, and nature is finding a way to deal with that.

>On the other hand, it encourages me to see the many efforts underway in other countries, and to read how people in other periods of history have endured and prospered.

In one sentence: Too little, too late.
pkofsocal
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Aaron » Mon 29 Nov 2004, 07:12:03

Tokyo, Japan 34,450,000

Mexico City, Mexico 18,066,000
The problem is, of course, that not only is economics bankrupt, but it has always been nothing more than politics in disguise... economics is a form of brain damage.

Hazel Henderson
Aaron
Resting in Peace

Unread postby TWilliam » Mon 29 Nov 2004, 17:32:48

Thanks MonteQuest for the welcome and for the thread links. Been working through them as time permits... :roll:

Now then:

bart wrote:
TWilliam wrote:As far as any techno-messiah goes, ANY addition of technology ultimately represents an increase in mass which requires an increased energy input to maintain. If it requires any form of finite resource to produce or maintain, it will inevitably lead to an acceleration of the very problem it seeks to resolve, even if it appears at first to ameliorate it...

I don't think this statement, as presently formulated, is true.

Sorry but it is, due to the fact that any gains realized through increased efficiency are offset by a concurrent increase in the consumption base. For example:

An addition of technology can very well lead to a decrease in mass and a decrease in required energy. Within my lifetime, the energy requirements for computation and radio communication have decreased by orders of magnitude (vacuum tubes -> transistors -> chips).

There are millions upon millions more consumer electronics items now with our "new & improved" electronics than there ever were when vaccuum tubes ruled the day (because they're exceedingly cheap by comparison), and I guarantee you that in aggregate they consume a hell of a lot more electricity than all the tube based equipment together ever did.

More mass, more energy consumed...

Likewise with systems, it is possible to replace an energy-intensive system (e.g., suburbia and personal vehicles) with a much less intense system (e.g., traditional city/country with less mobility, using walking and bicycles for personal locomotion.) It's possible to replace our present fossil fuel agriculture with traditional ("organic") agriculture.

Ok... this is a different animal. This is not an addition of technology, it is a subtraction of it. Precisely the path needed (in fact the one we will be forced to take by nature should we fail to do so voluntarily)...

It's important to distinguish between technology that aggravates the problem and technology that can alleviate it. Under the category of "good technology," I would list technology which is low-energy, resilient, recyclable, and local. "Bad technology" would be that which is high-powered, fragile, wasteful and centralized...

See the above comments. What needs to be understood is that any addition of technology is what is "bad" (addition referring to the deployment of any technology that increases efficiency. I believe Montequest has addressed this issue at length elsewhere in the forums...). Those things you are labeling as "good" in fact represent a decrease in efficiency. And in our present situation, that is indeed "good"...

Second objection. Overshoot is NOT a consistent pattern amongst all species. According to one textbook:

E.P. Odum p.126 wrote:In summary, some populations tend to be self-limiting in that the rate of growth decreases as the density increases. Such population growth can be said to be inversely density dependent. Other populations are not self-limited but tend to grow exponentially until checked by forces outside of the population (that is, other populations or general ecosystem limitations); such populations may overshoot their energy and habitat resources, literally crowding themselves to death in the case of plants, or eating themselves out of house and home, in the case of animals. Their population growth can be said to be density independent, at least until the density becomes very great.

(Ecology by E.P. Odum. 2nd ed, 1975... Sorry! I know it's old; it's what I have on hand right now.)

This quote reminds me of Agent Smith's rant to Morpheus comparing humanity to a virus. He states, "Every species on this planet instinctively develops an equilibrium with it's surrounding environment." I about choked on my Pepsi the first time he said that, because it is flatly incorrect. Every species, and I do mean every, does exactly the same thing when introduced to a habitat. It increases in population until it runs smack dab into Leibig's Law (also detailed at length elsewhere). Odum apparently missed the fact that population density is directly impacted by available habitat, which in this case would be the essential resource in shortest supply, as well as being one of those "forces outside of the population" to which he subsequently refers.

In short, there is no such thing as a "self-regulating" species.

What leads to overshoot, and this is the vital factor that I pointed out in my earlier post and that I believe is so often missed, is unrestricted access to an essential resource, and upon reflection I've come to suspect that it's specifically unrestricted access to that resource which previously served as the "enforcer" of Leibig's Law for that particular species. In fact Odum pretty much says this in the second quote you posted:

...eruptions and outbreaks are more likely to occur where the biological structure is simplified, either by man or by severe natural limiting factors, or where there is a sudden increase in energy or resources that gives the opportunistic species a chance to grow exponentially.

I would say that this is universally true for any species.

Human population seems to have been relatively constant for most of our history -- which means that we are basically a self-limiting species.

Again... t'ain't no sech thing. All it means is that for most of our history we haven't had (relatively) unfettered access to the huge supply of energy that oil represents... ;)

Human innovations, such as agriculture and fossil fuels, opened up resources for the population to grow to new, higher levels. Since innovation got us to this point, isn't it reasonable that innovation can help us adapt to the coming peak? (By innovation, I don't mean techno-fixes that enable us to keep our SUVs; I mean adapting our way of life to a low-energy reality.)

Some of the places to look for ideas:
1) History: in the past, how did people live on a fraction of the energy that we now squander?
2) Current low-energy cultures: Gotta get beyond our US (and European?) stereotypes and look for outselves.
3) Appropriate technology: Applying state-of-the-art science and engineering to the problem of sustainable living.

I think I've already addressed this...

Great post bart! :)
TWilliam
Expert
Expert

Unread postby bart » Mon 29 Nov 2004, 20:35:13

Thanks for your posts, good stuff.

Pkofsocal, you seem pretty pessimistic. Do you see any glimmers of hope? Any solutions?

I think I understand you now, TWilliam. You are not saying that gains in efficiency are impossible. You are saying that the overall effect of improved efficiency is nil, because of the Jeavons paradox.

Twilliam wrote:any gains realized through increased efficiency are offset by a concurrent increase in the consumption base. [example of consumer electronics]

Let me criticize the Jeavons paradox then. I think the Jeavons paradox operates only in certain circumstances, where cost is the main determinant of usage. If cost decreases (e.g. through improved efficiency), then usage would increase and you would be correct. But the only time this is true is where demand is unlimited and where most economic activity occurs via unregulated markets.

Counter-example (price sensitivity). In many cases, demand is limited by other factors and is not particularly cost-sensitive. If the price of pickled pigs feet dropped to near $0, would sales skyrocket? Or consider libraries, in which the price of borrowing books is essentially $0. Why don't people take out unlimited numbers of books? Obviously, there are limits other than price -- such as taste, fashion, and custom.

Counter-example (market limitations). Consider the case of country X and country Y at war with one another. Country X develops an efficent process so that the price of oil drops to $15/barrel. Country Y would love to buy that oil, since oil costs them $50/barrel to produce, but because they are at war with country X, they cannot buy that oil. Thus, trade barriers make Jeavons Paradox inoperative. Lower demand in one economic entitiy does not translate into lower prices in the overall economy, if there are impediments to trade.

You are right that Jeavons paradox is an insidious possibility for those who place a blind faith in conservation. Some possible solutions:

1. Encourage non-economic limits on consumption. For example, make it unfashionable to be an energy hog. Maybe we should bring back the custom of the evil eye, which discouraged over-consumption in peasant cultures!

2. Discourage trade especially in energy. At the very least, oppose subsidies for trade.

Twilliam wrote:This is not an addition of technology, it is a subtraction of it. Precisely the path needed (in fact the one we will be forced to take by nature should we fail to do so voluntarily)...

Yeah! Agreement! Even if we differ on the terminology...

Regarding Odum and overshoot. In the text I quoted, he's not really giving his opionion, but summarizing the ideas of the field. Population biology is a whole field of its own; there's a lot more to it than overshoot. It would probably be a good thing to study... I was overwhelmed by the math that I saw in the textbook I looked at, but maybe I'll give it a go later.

I don't think Odum and the ecologists are denying Liebig's Law. What they are saying is that there are different ways of reducing population growth as a species reaches the limits of the environment. One way to reduce population is overshoot and die-off. The species prone to die-off are not sensitive to the growing density of the population; they keep on reproducing no matter how crowded it gets.

Other species have a very different behavior. As they approach environmental limits, they reduce their reproduction rate and do not go into overshoot.

Which are humans? Right now, you and I agree, that the jolt of fossil fuels has us reproducing and consuming like crazy. So there is a real danger of overshoot. On the other hand, human populations have been relatively constant previous to peak oil, so there is reason to think that humans are capable of self-regulation.

So, overshoot or self-regulation, it's up to us. Nature neither condemns us to overshoot nor guarantees that we will avoid it.
bart
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby MonteQuest » Mon 29 Nov 2004, 20:59:35

bart wrote:I think I understand you now, TWilliam. You are not saying that gains in efficiency are impossible. You are saying that the overall effect of improved efficiency is nil, because of the Jeavons paradox.

There is another factor at play that few understand. Technology is an energy transformer. The more complex the technology, the more energy transfers and the more loss of usable energy. 2nd Law. Improvements in efficiency come at a price greater than doing nothing. You end up with an increased efficiency and a short-term utility, but you made an even greater entropy mess somewhere else that will have to be dealt with by even more energy use consumption than the original inefficiency. Of course, you can ignore it, but look around at the economical and environmental consequences of having done so. There are no technological fixes for peak-oil other than downgrading the complexity of the technology we use. See my thread, Technology and Peak Oil; Cause and Effect. There is a link a few posts back that I left for TWilliam.

MQ
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby pkofsocal » Tue 30 Nov 2004, 00:41:37

>Pkofsocal, you seem pretty pessimistic. Do you see any glimmers of hope? Any solutions?

I have no solution. The only solution I might think about is "Just let it be". Let the powerfuls of the world mess up the earth, and dig a hole and hope the marauders to miss the hole.

It's not like that we can flee from this threat. There is simply no escape out of the earth,

> On the other hand, human populations have been relatively constant previous to peak oil, so there is reason to think that humans are capable of self-regulation.

No. Humans are not capable of self-regulation. Previously, epidemics, malnutrition, and high infant mortality did the job. PO made us overcome most of the restraints, and look at where we are.

>So, overshoot or self-regulation, it's up to us. Nature neither condemns us to overshoot nor guarantees that we will avoid it.

To impose 'self-regulation', we would need a very repressive governmental system.
pkofsocal
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Pops » Tue 30 Nov 2004, 10:39:16

Good discussion!

One item not mentioned so far was pointed out on this board by Matt Savinar way back and really made me more of a pessimist.

We have been very efficient in using oil to deplete ALL resources to the point that without cheap energy they are virtually unattainable. So not only have we “leveragedâ€
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Canuck » Tue 30 Nov 2004, 15:07:46

pkofsocal wrote:To impose 'self-regulation', we would need a very repressive governmental system.

Won't this be a given?

I think there is a real possibility the collective will hardly notice peak oil or at least not recognize it as the cause of whatever awful events it leaves in its wake.

The military-industrial-media complex is not just going to sit there as things begin to unwind. There will be lots of things to blame and most people won't be able to see through the blizzard of propaganda. All problems will be temporary and prosperity will always be right around the next corner. The chocolate ration will always be rising.

Those who choose not to buy the party line would be well advised to keep their heads down. Thought crime will be a capital offense.
Canuck
Peat
Peat

Jevons' Paradox

Unread postby TWilliam » Wed 01 Dec 2004, 00:56:56

bart wrote:I think I understand you now, TWilliam. You are not saying that gains in efficiency are impossible. You are saying that the overall effect of improved efficiency is nil, because of the Jeavons paradox.

Well... that's not entirely accurate, because Jevon's Paradox does not simply indicate that the gains are "nullified"; what Jevon was saying (as I understand it) is that an increase in efficiency actually leads to greater consumption, so the net effect is actually a setback (that is, assuming that the motivation behind improving efficiency is to reduce consumption), and I agree with him in this regard.

Let me criticize the Jeavons paradox then. I think the Jeavons paradox operates only in certain circumstances, where cost is the main determinant of usage. If cost decreases (e.g. through improved efficiency), then usage would increase and you would be correct. But the only time this is true is where demand is unlimited and where most economic activity occurs via unregulated markets.

Counter-example (price sensitivity). In many cases, demand is limited by other factors and is not particularly cost-sensitive. If the price of pickled pigs feet dropped to near $0, would sales skyrocket? Or consider libraries, in which the price of borrowing books is essentially $0. Why don't people take out unlimited numbers of books? Obviously, there are limits other than price -- such as taste, fashion, and custom.

Counter-example (market limitations). Consider the case of country X and country Y at war with one another. Country X develops an efficent process so that the price of oil drops to $15/barrel. Country Y would love to buy that oil, since oil costs them $50/barrel to produce, but because they are at war with country X, they cannot buy that oil. Thus, trade barriers make Jeavons Paradox inoperative. Lower demand in one economic entitiy does not translate into lower prices in the overall economy, if there are impediments to trade.

I don't really think these examples apply tho' bart, at least not if I read them correctly. It appears to me that what you are illustrating here are effects of various political and socio-economic forces (trade restrictions, public taste and such) that serve to limit demand or accessibility. You are correct in that Jevons' Paradox does not operate in these cases, but that is only because it is not germane in this context. Jevon was speaking specifically about an increase in available energy through increasingly efficient use of already present sources and the resultant increase in utilization. He was not addressing demand and any market factors effecting it.

At least that's how I read him... :wink:

Maybe we should bring back the custom of the evil eye, which discouraged over-consumption in peasant cultures!

Nice thought... unfortunately I suspect that about all that will get you nowadays is shot at... :lol: :roll:

I don't think Odum and the ecologists are denying Liebig's Law. What they are saying is that there are different ways of reducing population growth as a species reaches the limits of the environment. One way to reduce population is overshoot and die-off. The species prone to die-off are not sensitive to the growing density of the population; they keep on reproducing no matter how crowded it gets.

Other species have a very different behavior. As they approach environmental limits, they reduce their reproduction rate and do not go into overshoot.

Hmm... well... it's been a long time, but I seem to recall from biology class that while there are a number of different factors that serve to regulate overall population (predation, territory, water, etc.), there was one specific factor that determined the birth rate, that being the availability of food i.e., E-N-E-R-G-Y (which is after all, what we are ultimately discussing in these forums is it not?).

And once again we come to the phenomenon of overshoot and die-off, which occurs when a species is given, again, unrestricted access to ENERGY. Overshoot does not occur as long as access is restricted, which is what predation, water scarcity, territorial limitations and such do; they restrict access: the more time and energy spent avoiding predators, the less time for seeking and ingesting food; the more time and energy spent seeking water, the less for seeking and ingesting food; the more time and energy spent defending territory... you get the idea.

Remove those natural restrictions, what do you have? Lots more time to eat and store up energy. And what do you do with all that extra energy? Why, "be fruitful and multiply" of course. Until you hit the point where you've consumed half of the food available, double your population in the next generation and rapidly consume the remaining half. And then what? Crash and burn baby!

Ok... I'm getting a bit punchy now... time for bed... :P

Nite y'all :)
TWilliam
Expert
Expert

Unread postby bart » Wed 01 Dec 2004, 04:59:26

Sorry for the delay in replying. I felt I should go back and read through the forum Aaron started: Jevons Paradox - Death by conservation.

Aaron and company certainly did a thorough job of destroying the Techno-Fix position! Convinced me. The down side is that one is not left with much hope.

Could I suggest a slightly different approach? If there is a phenomenon under study, whose effects you don't like, wouldn't it be fruitful to look at those cases in which the phenomenon does NOT operate? Doing so gives us clues as to how to render the phenonmenon inactive.

The Jevons paradox does not seem to apply if demand for the good is limited by non-economic factors, or if the market has impediments. Thus, to defeat the paradox, one could:
1) Reduce the demand for the good (through laws, taste, fashion, morality, religion. etc.)
2) Insert market impediments (taxes, trade barriers)

As a thought experiment, one might invent scenarios ... One could imagine a religous group that disapproved of automobiles Are there any such groups in the real world? How have they fared? Could we learn anything from them?

Or perhaps a fashion movement which declared that high energy consumption was rawther poor taste.

Or a government campaign to reduce energy consumption. Did this ever happen? How did it work?

I've noticed there's an automatic impulse to say, "No hope," "Not possible," "Human nature doesn't allow it." Isn't this strange? People on this board are intelligent (I'd estimate 125+ avg IQ), nice, generally very skeptical. Yet it's as if our ability to imagine other futures has been surgically removed.

If we let our hope and imagination be taken away from us, then we cannot win.

Can you think of other ways to defeat Jevons? For any depressing trend, what are the counter-examples that lead to solutions and hope?
bart
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby bart » Wed 01 Dec 2004, 05:01:16

In the Jevons thread, Aaron produced a further wrinkle on the paradox. If consumers saved money through more efficient machinery, they would either spend or invest the money, thus causing more goods to be produced which would require yet more power.

Clever! But we're interested in defeating Aaron's wrinkle, not making ourselves more hopeless. Thus the question is: in which cases does Aaron's wrinkle NOT apply?

I can think of several. The consumer saves money on a more efficient furnace and uses the savings to retire in a simple, low-energy lifestyle.

Or the consumer spends the money on goods which are more expensive but are produced with less energy than the ones they replaced (example: high quality organic food replacing junk food).

What other cases defeat the wrinkle?
bart
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby bart » Wed 01 Dec 2004, 06:33:30

MonteQuest wrote:There is another factor at play that few understand. Technology is an energy transformer. The more complex the technology, the more energy transfers and the more loss of usable energy. 2nd Law. Improvements in efficiency come at a price greater than doing nothing. You end up with an increased efficiency and a short-term utility, but you made an even greater entropy mess somewhere else that will have to be dealt with by even more energy use consumption than the original inefficiency. Of course, you can ignore it, but look around at the economical and environmental consequences of having done so. There are no technological fixes for peak-oil other than downgrading the complexity of the technology we use. See my thread, Technology and Peak Oil; Cause and Effect. There is a link a few posts back that I left for TWilliam.

I read the thread you mentioned, MonteQuest -- all 14 pages of it! My head's a little dizzy from "entropy," "closed systems," and "chaos," but I think I agree with your conclusions. I'd like to restate some of your themes and add a few points from the ecological thinkers that I've been reading over the past year.

You seem to posit two forms of technology: a complex, wasteful, and inevitably futile technology which you see as the problem, and a less complex technology which you see as our only alternative.

I'd agree with you about the two different types of technology, but I would characterize them differently:
1. Technology which is outwardly complex, but inwardly simple.
2. Technology which is outwardly simple, but inwardly complex.

I don't mean to speak in paradoxes. An example will probably show you what I'm trying to get at. The example I've been studying lately is modern industrial agriculture vs traditional organic agriculture.

Industrial agriculture is outwardly complex, with its machinery, pesticides and fertilizers, and the elaborate human infrastructure which supports them. But inwardly, industrial agriculture is simple. It ignores the complex natural cycles, and considers soil to be merely a medium in which to hold the plant as synthetic nutrients are applied. Other life forms, such as other plants and insects, interfere with this simple model and are exterminated. So the heart of industrial agriculture is a vastly simplified ecosystem. The system is inherently polluting and energy intensive.

I join in your tirades against such systems!

Traditional organic agriculture is outwardly simple. Seeds, a few implements, and perhaps animal power or tractors. But underneath the humble appearances, there is a complexity that still baffles scienctists. Nutrients are constantly being recycled and re-used; there are the nitrogen, carbon, potassium and phosophorous cycles. Millions of critters live in a cubic inch of soil - parasites, predators, symbionts - sometimes helping our crops, sometimes not, but mostly we don't know. Good farmers work with the flow of nature, rather than constantly fighting against it. The system can be negative polluting (it can absorb and make use of wastes) and a positive energy source.

In the past, we've tended to denigrate systems like this, which are based on natural processes. With peak oil coming, it's a good time to learn more about them.

-------------
PS
Ran across an an article that seems to use much the same terminology and arguments that you do: Rachel's Environment & Health News (#805 Living Within Limits), Nov 25, 04.
bart
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby MonteQuest » Wed 01 Dec 2004, 19:50:26

Bart,

Your clarification on technologies was very good. This is the way we must think in the future. And thanks for the article link! It does the soul good to read almost the same cogent agruments that I have made in previous threads.

Monte
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby bart » Thu 02 Dec 2004, 07:48:47

For an example of good technology vs bad (entropy-producing) technology, see How now, industrial cow?, an article comparing industrial vs pasture dairy farming. Written by a dairy farmer.
bart
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby nocar » Thu 02 Dec 2004, 11:13:40

Bart, the Amish in Pennsylvania do not seem to approve of hardly anything invented after teh 18th century, because it is frivolous. Thus horse buggies, no cars. And no being hooked to the grid - they also value independence. And refuse to go to war. They seem to fare quite well, at least they are increasing their numbers. Other people here might have mroe knowledge, I think it is worth investigating. They are farmers, about the only occupation that agrees with God's plan for humanity (according to my scetchy knowledge). I think they could be great inspiring for thinking about at post peak world.
nocar
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby RonBonnell » Fri 03 Dec 2004, 16:16:15

I did some reading up on the Amish. Who else would have the technology to know how to use horses in farming etc? Who else would even have the work horses? They are interesting in that they have preserved much of the pre-carbon technology capability. I thought it woud be a good place to learn how to operate without the technology, though from my reading I believe they do use selective technology. I believe they use gas for some purposes, though not electricity, etc.
RonBonnell

Unread postby mgibbons19 » Fri 03 Dec 2004, 16:22:09

The amish do what they do at least partly because they want nothing to do with the rest of us. "unequally yoked" and all that. So it will be kind of ironic if and when ppl start showing up on their doorsteps asking to buy draft animals, en masse.
mgibbons19
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby bart » Fri 03 Dec 2004, 16:40:25

I agree, the Amish have lots to teach us. I'm struck by the degree of cooperation and community they seem to have -- their community barn-raisings for example.

The Shakers, now gone, are another group that interests me. They lived in a dozen or two communal settlements in the Eastern US and Midwest from about the 1700s up until recently. Their technology, in particular, is strange and inspiring. They saw the problems of living with a totally fresh vision, devising a technology that is simple, effective and satisfying:
Shaker furniture, now treasured by collectors.
The circular saw (invented by a woman I believe).
The first packaged seeds.
An emphasis on health and hygiene.
Their communal architecture, designed to be labor-saving.
Their strangely beautiful music ("Amazing Grace" and "Tis the Gift to be Simple").

Most people think of their celibacy as an awful burden. But from what I've read, the Shaker settlements seemed to have been very happy places.
bart
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

The Amish? Lol.

Unread postby pkofsocal » Fri 03 Dec 2004, 18:15:40

>I agree, the Amish have lots to teach us. I'm struck by the degree of cooperation and community they seem to have -- their community barn-raisings for example.

But they really don't want outsiders to spoil their party. That's why they could maintain that 'degree of cooperation and community'.

>The Shakers, now gone, are another group that interests me.

>Most people think of their celibacy as an awful burden. But from what I've read, the Shaker settlements seemed to have been very happy places

But where are they now?

Celibacy was meant to be practiced by monks and nuns (and history shows it was not practiced seamlessly). To maintain that order, it was necessary for the nobles to reproduce so they could dump their excess offsprings to there.

A celibate-only population won't last too long.

Frankly speaking, I don't think the Amish will last too long unless they accept 'Modern'weapons and the way of life which is necessary to maintain the new toys.

Otherwise, when the horse price negotiation goes wary, the other party will simply use their Uzi.

During the Macabean wars, it was forbidden for Orthodox Jews to fight in the Sabbath, so the Macabean leader changed the religious laws so "one could fight on the Sabbath when 'attacked'".

Eventually the Macabeans themselves adopted Greek and Roman names and religious values as well, with a few die-hards (the Pharisee) holding on.

I think the Amish will experience similar transformation after PO.
pkofsocal
Wood
Wood

PreviousNext

Return to Peak Oil Discussion