Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

COMPACT FLOURESCENT LIGHT BULBS

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

COMPACT FLOURESCENT LIGHT BULBS

Unread postby PrairieMule » Thu 13 Oct 2005, 12:15:31

Hello,

I just made the switch yesterday to compact flourescent light bulbs. I replaced a dozen 60wa lightbulbs in hightraffic areas with 14w bulbs(bright as a 75w bulb). The bulbs come with a document that helps you calculate the savings. I figured out by reducing 12 60w lightbulbs with 14w Ill be using 168w vs.720w thus saving 552w based on a 4hrs of use . Anyways it comes to about $20-$25 a month. Has anyone else made the switch yet?
If you give a man a fish you will have kept him from hunger for a day. If you teach a man to fish he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
PrairieMule
Expert
Expert

Location: In a Nigerian compound surrounded by mighty dignataries

Re: COMPACT FLOURESCENT LIGHT BULBS

Unread postby NonToxic » Thu 13 Oct 2005, 12:28:55

About 2 years ago. The wife did not like them at first now since she is used to them it's no problem.
NonToxic
Peat
Peat

Unread postby emersonbiggins » Thu 13 Oct 2005, 12:38:17

PrairieMule wrote:Hello,

I just made the switch yesterday to compact flourescent light bulbs. I replaced a dozen 60wa lightbulbs in hightraffic areas with 14w bulbs(bright as a 75w bulb). The bulbs come with a document that helps you calculate the savings. I figured out by reducing 12 60w lightbulbs with 14w Ill be using 168w vs.720w thus saving 552w based on a 4hrs of use . Anyways it comes to about $20-$25 a month. Has anyone else made the switch yet?

Good idea. I'm renting a 1100sf duplex right now, and CFs are everywhere in that house. My electric bill has been running in the $130-$170/mo. range, which still seems high, but I suspect it's the 3/8" sheathing on the roof that's causing the wastage problem.
From what I hear, there are new CFs on the market that give off a warmer hue, which solves the major gripe that most people have with old school 'institutionally inspired' CFs.
"It's called the American Dream because you'd have to be asleep to believe it."

George Carlin
emersonbiggins
Expert
Expert

Unread postby strider3700 » Thu 13 Oct 2005, 12:51:19

I'm all CF's except in my shop where it's the 4 ft tubes. I have two types. One is only used over the stove and it give off an ultra white harsh light. The rest have a nice warm look to them.
shame on us, doomed from the start
god have mercy on our dirty little hearts
strider3700
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby PrairieMule » Thu 13 Oct 2005, 13:01:29

NonToxic wrote:About 2 years ago. The wife did not like them at first now since she is used to them it's no problem.

A squiggly coil vs a traditional bulb definately takes some getting use to. They say with the lower wattage comes less heat which keeps the house cooler. I decided to change the bulbs after reading a article in Natl' Gographic showing just 1 light bulb will save 300lbs of coal.
If you give a man a fish you will have kept him from hunger for a day. If you teach a man to fish he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
PrairieMule
Expert
Expert

Unread postby aahala » Thu 13 Oct 2005, 13:05:00

Barring two closet lights that are almost never on, all my lights are CFL or
the long F types.

I had been using two in other closets for years and had completely forgotten the idea of CFL until about a 18 months ago, and changed the
rest over a few months.

You're saving $20? Wow. I doubt my lighting costs were ever $10. Some of
these CFLs are on so little, if they last as long as they are supposed to,
my yet born grandchildren will still be using them. :)
aahala
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby PrairieMule » Thu 13 Oct 2005, 13:25:32

aahala wrote:Barring two closet lights that are almost never on, all my lights are CFL or
the long F types.

I had been using two in other closets for years and had completely forgotten the idea of CFL until about a 18 months ago, and changed the
rest over a few months.

You're saving $20? Wow. I doubt my lighting costs were ever $10. Some of
these CFLs are on so little, if they last as long as they are supposed to,
my yet born grandchildren will still be using them. :)

Haven't saved anything yet, but according to wattage saved over a 4hr a day usage times the current rate of the kw it comes to $20 a month. I will replace my outdoor, garage, and hall lights next (those are $5-7 each!!) Do they make a efficent for the 3ft long tube type? I have 8 of those in my kitchen.
PrairieMule
Expert
Expert

Unread postby PhilBiker » Thu 13 Oct 2005, 13:27:37

I've got a zillion of them in my house. Costoco sells megapacks for cheap. Also my outdoor lights are CF 3/4-watts = 25watt incandescent. They take a while to warm up (are not bright when cold) but I don't care. I have a few incandescents left like in the stove and fridge and over the oven and in the bathroom fixtures.
PhilBiker
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby aahala » Thu 13 Oct 2005, 13:35:58

Whoops, I slipped a digit mentally. Our lighting bill probably was in the 20s at one time.

I have six replacements and I will probably never have to buy another
bulb, except for two 3-ways we use a lot.
aahala
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Caoimhan » Thu 13 Oct 2005, 14:11:33

I switched a little over a year ago. There are great bargains to be had on the little curly bulbs that will fit anywhere a regular lightbulb would.

My favorite, though, is my indoor/outdoor CF in my front porch light. If I remember right, it's a 50W CF, with the brightness of a 200-250W incandescent. Great for security!
Caoimhan
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby PrairieMule » Thu 13 Oct 2005, 14:49:00

Caoimhan wrote:I switched a little over a year ago. There are great bargains to be had on the little curly bulbs that will fit anywhere a regular lightbulb would.

My favorite, though, is my indoor/outdoor CF in my front porch light. If I remember right, it's a 50W CF, with the brightness of a 200-250W incandescent. Great for security!

200-250watts? Yikes!! Mules have no need for outdoor tanning beds, but I guess it has possibilities as a non-lethal alternative to shooting a burglar. Easy to pick out the suspect with a lobster red sunburn..
PrairieMule
Expert
Expert

Re: COMPACT FLUORESCENT LIGHT BULBS

Unread postby SHiFTY » Thu 13 Oct 2005, 15:43:43

I had some early ones that took a second to turn on, but all the new ones now seem to be instant, so theres no real difference beteen them and regular ones.

I have lights that I like to leave on all night, these are all CF now.

Also I got a whole lot for free from the electricity company.
SHiFTY
Peat
Peat

Unread postby dunewalker » Thu 13 Oct 2005, 17:08:17

Yes, when I moved out here to the desert off-grid homestead 3 1/2 years ago all lighting became CF---all 5 lights. The main room 15 watt CF triples as the kitchen light and the porch light since it's next to the big front window by the door. They are amazingly bright!
"Wilderness is another civilization apart from our own." - H.D. Thoreau
dunewalker
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby SolarDave » Thu 13 Oct 2005, 17:55:38

NonToxic wrote:About 2 years ago. The wife did not like them at first now since she is used to them it's no problem.

Wives seem to be universally against them. Why?
SolarDave
Coal
Coal

Unread postby ab0di » Thu 13 Oct 2005, 18:52:34

I converted everything but the closets several years ago. My wife objected because she likes 3-way bulbs so I bought a couple of 3-way CF's--expensive but worth it.
All politics emanates from a barrel of oil. -- after Mirabeau
ab0di
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Caoimhan » Thu 13 Oct 2005, 19:11:58

You know... they even have dimmable CFs now.
Caoimhan
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dbuckley » Thu 13 Oct 2005, 21:00:25

Of course, Big Clive has taken this to the extreme with the Luminosity Monstrosity

We're pretty much CFL or flurorescent here too, our over-stairs light when we bought the house was 3 x 75W incandescent, which is now 3 x 26W CFL and looks much better!
dbuckley
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Fri 14 Oct 2005, 02:32:15

Caoimhan wrote:You know... they even have dimmable CFs now.

I haven't seen those.

I've had a mixed experience. Some were instant-on and had a nice colour. Others had an annoying delay to light up and the blueish fluorescent colour.

Also be aware that fluorescents can fade your watercolour paintings etc.

And it's a bit tricky getting the $15 30 watt bulb out of the plastic shell package without breaking it.

(EDIT) Does anyone want a couple of dozen incandescent bulbs, mostly brand new?
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Doly » Fri 14 Oct 2005, 03:56:42

Caoimhan wrote:You know... they even have dimmable CFs now.

Haven't seen them either. And they would come handy in my home, it's mostly dimmer switches.
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Caoimhan » Fri 14 Oct 2005, 14:54:12

This Link is for Dimmable Compact Fluorescent Bulbs

I really like that site, by the way. You can get CFs in a lot of different varieties.
Caoimhan
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Next

Return to Energy Technology