Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Climate Chaos and Crop Production

Re: Climate Chaos and Crop Production

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Mon 13 Nov 2023, 05:23:34

Peak Olive Oil
I was just in Greece and they were using regular oil on their Greek salads because olives didnt fruit because of drought same in Spain were production has halved ,they are the biggest exporters (they were importing oil from Argentina)
Turkey banned exports to try and stabilise prices
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Mon 13 Nov 2023, 06:46:57

2019 Australian olive oil production is estimated at (21.5 million litres)

2023 While the Australian olive harvest is not officially tracked, the AOOA estimates a yield of 18 to 19 million liters. The oil yield is definitely lower than average because of the cooler growing conditions, but the quality of oil remains high because the fruit ripened slowly,” said David Valmorbida, president of the Australian Olive Oil Association (AOOA).

So, the cooler La Nina was not good for our crops. Better luck this year with much higher El Nino temps.

https://australianolives.com.au/austral ... 0Australia.
https://www.oliveoiltimes.com/productio ... nes/122654
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Sun 03 Dec 2023, 19:30:37

theluckycountry wrote:
2019 Australian olive oil production is estimated at (21.5 million litres)

2023 While the Australian olive harvest is not officially tracked, the AOOA estimates a yield of 18 to 19 million liters. The oil yield is definitely lower than average because of the cooler growing conditions, but the quality of oil remains high because the fruit ripened slowly,” said David Valmorbida, president of the Australian Olive Oil Association (AOOA).

So, the cooler La Nina was not good for our crops. Better luck this year with much higher El Nino temps.

https://australianolives.com.au/austral ... 0Australia.

https://www.oliveoiltimes.com/productio ... nes/122654

Its can be either too much water/heat or not enough
It grows over a large geographic and climatically different area in Australia from temperate in Victoria to Mediterranean in SA WA and NSW to subtropical in Qld.
You would think yield would be more stable

The sub tropical groves near me (one which I helped plant) is mainly effected by not flowering if the winters are too hot
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Mon 04 Dec 2023, 02:02:30

Shaved Monkey wrote:It grows over a large geographic and climatically different area in Australia from temperate in Victoria to Mediterranean in SA WA and NSW to subtropical in Qld.
You would think yield would be more stable

The sub tropical groves near me (one which I helped plant) is mainly effected by not flowering if the winters are too hot

Back of the property I had in SEQ the old guy put in about 30 acres of them, all in nice rows, installed a pump to the creek, then just left them idle. He wasn't a farmer, just a lifestyle property guy looking for a tax dodge. A lot of that goes on I suspect. He docks all his fuel to it and built a huge shed, which he filled with cars and car parts, like 4 stories high with racking and a forklift. All of it "for the olives"
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Wed 06 Dec 2023, 20:46:22

Chainsaw-wielding olive oil gangs chop down groves as 260,000l of fake product seized

On Monday, police in Spain said they had intercepted an enormous shipment of 260,000 litres, 68,000 gallons, of 'high quality' oil that detectives said was actually 'unfit for human consumption'. Some 11 people were seized in the sting, which also uncovered 91,000 euros worth of billing documents. ...The news site said two men allegedly added colouring agents to sunflower oil to try and pass it off as premium extra virgin olive oil...

And in Greece farmers of the precious yellow liquid have been forced to guard their groves from thieves wanting to steal the crop which has seen prices soaring. Gangs of chainsaw-wielding crooks have been chopping down ancient 150-year-old trees worth thousands of pounds and carting them off in trucks in the dead of night.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/18 ... ope-stolen
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby jawagord » Fri 05 Jan 2024, 10:50:30

Some old news, another corn production record in China.

Corn production rose to 288.84mn t for crops harvested this year, up by 11.64mn t or 4.2pc from the previous record high of 277.2mn t a year earlier, data from the National Bureau of Statics (NBS) show.

https://www.argusmedia.com/en/news/2517 ... 2023?amp=1
Don't deny the peak!
jawagord
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 05 Jan 2024, 11:12:51

theluckycountry wrote:Chainsaw-wielding olive oil gangs chop down groves as 260,000l of fake product seized

On Monday, police in Spain said they had intercepted an enormous shipment of 260,000 litres, 68,000 gallons, of 'high quality' oil that detectives said was actually 'unfit for human consumption'. Some 11 people were seized in the sting, which also uncovered 91,000 euros worth of billing documents. ...The news site said two men allegedly added colouring agents to sunflower oil to try and pass it off as premium extra virgin olive oil...

And in Greece farmers of the precious yellow liquid have been forced to guard their groves from thieves wanting to steal the crop which has seen prices soaring. Gangs of chainsaw-wielding crooks have been chopping down ancient 150-year-old trees worth thousands of pounds and carting them off in trucks in the dead of night.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/18 ... ope-stolen

That would really piss me off.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby theluckycountry » Thu 11 Jan 2024, 04:27:10

That sort of activity happens a lot in the third world I am afraid, and Greece, in spite of it's international standing, is really just that nowadays. I attribute it to the lost empire syndrome. Egypt suffers from it, Italy too, Spain and Portugal to a degree. You go back far enough and you see that modern Iraq was once the Assyrian empire's homeland.

The further back in time the empire existed the less prosperous the modern nation appears to be, the less cohesive, the less the people strive. True many had a resurgence of prosperity and order in the 20th century, due to the flow on effects of cheap coal and oil, but now they have sunk back into relative obscurity having never achieved stable prosperity. Their militaries were strong (relatively) back in the middle of last century too but that's passed now as well.

The Aztec Empire was conquered by Spain, now it's Mexico, another second or third world dump. Why have these one magnificent empire lands never been able to get their shit together in the modern era? It's an interesting phenomena, I mean not one nation, not a single one comes to mind, aside from Israel and they are an outlier anyway, the people were driven off, they never inhabited the land like the Egyptians or Italians did through the millennia.

I suspect myself that it has to do with the cultures, the people's themselves. They suffer from this past-empire mentality, they grow up with the notion that they were once the rulers of the known world and having achieved such they can now rest on their laurels so to speak. They are lazy, they want to sit around all day sipping coffee and looking at the ruins of 2000 years ago, or 300 in the case of Spain. They just don't have the collective getup and go that many modern civilizations have. Canada, Australia, the US even, though now it's losing it I suspect. I mean a whole nation on pills and illicit drugs? The average younger person there is giving up hope it seems.

Once the decline sets in and becomes obvious, people lose their mojo. Why work hard, you'll only be taxed to death or buried under a mountain of regulation. What passes for an entrepreneur now is basically a just a huckster, a grifter milking the public purse. The same thing is happening in Australia, though we're a couple of decades behind. So in Greece you have a handful of hardworking farmers and tens of thousands that would rather just steal stuff. If you want to get looted though just go to Egypt.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Previous

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate