Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

China trumps the world. Bye bye to Peak Oil?

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: China trumps the world. Bye bye to Peak Oil?

Unread postby mos6507 » Wed 21 Oct 2009, 12:03:58

KevO wrote:with a question mark Mos and if it is true China have indeed trumped the world

If it is true China will NOT trump the world with a $50K vehicle no matter what it has for electric range. And remember that China just bought Hummer. Conflicting trends, perhaps?

EESTOR rolling out cheap packs can change the world, but I have serious doubts that lithium will ever get cheap enough. They call their batteries "ferrous" but I don't think they are any different from LiFePO4s. I don't think there is anything magical going on other than marketing-speak.
mos6507

Unread postby rangerone314 » Wed 21 Oct 2009, 12:06:28

mos6507 wrote:
KevO wrote:with a question mark Mos and if it is true China have indeed trumped the world

If it is true China will NOT trump the world with a $50K vehicle no matter what it has for electric range. And remember that China just bought Hummer. Conflicting trends, perhaps?

EESTOR rolling out cheap packs can change the world, but I have serious doubts that lithium will ever get cheap enough. They call their batteries "ferrous" but I don't think they are any different from LiFePO4s. I don't think there is anything magical going on other than marketing-speak.

I wouldn't worry too much about lithium batteries. Some cornucopian is going to invent "di-lithium" and we'll all be saved. :mrgreen:
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Jotapay » Wed 21 Oct 2009, 12:07:01

rangerone314 wrote:If there is a good deal of truth to that, is it much an improvement over other upcoming electrical vehicles?

The stated range of 250 miles for 1 charge is simply unbelievable.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby KevO » Wed 21 Oct 2009, 12:08:46

mos6507 wrote:

If it is true China will NOT trump the world with a $50K vehicle no matter what it has for electric range. And remember that China just bought Hummer. Conflicting trends, perhaps? .

Absolutely. I also posted the link to the Global Witness report this morning (and I din't write that either) :)

can be seen from
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/oct/19/oil-prices-rise-supply-warning-report
KevO
Expert
Expert

Unread postby KevO » Wed 21 Oct 2009, 12:19:14

more links abot the E6 - one from last Jan at
http://www.chinatravel.net/forum/Beijing-China-s-E6-blows-Prius-and-Volt-out-of-the-water/1656.html

more recently
http://www.chinacarforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5488
where can be found
And while the range of many electric vehicles is restricted by their battery capacity, making it inconvenient to travel long distances, the BYD e6, with its high-efficiency Fe battery, can go up to 249 miles (400km) on a single charge. That makes the e6 suitable for daily commutes, around-town chores and even long journeys.

The Fe battery pack in the e6 can be quick-charged to 50 percent of itscapacity in 10 minutes, and 100 percent of its capacity in 60 minutes.

e6 SPECIFICATIONS

Length in (mm)
179.3 (4554)

Width in (mm)
71.7 (1822)

Height in (mm)
64.2 (1630)

Wheelbase in (mm)
111.4 (2830)

Curb Weight lb (kg)
4453 (2020)

Output hp (kw)
268 (200)

Torque lb-ft (Nm)
406 (550 )

Range mi (km)
249 (400)

0-60mph Acceleration (sec)
< 8s

Top Speed mph (kph)
100 (160)

Recharge Time (quick charge)
50% in 10min

the Detroit show
http://ev-motoring.com/articles/features/byd-shows-fe-battery-e6-at-naias.html
KevO
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rangerone314 » Wed 21 Oct 2009, 12:28:38

BYD just started selling the F3DM plug-in for approximately $22,000 in China.

wtf! What would it cost if it were sold in the US, without tarriffs?
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby KevO » Wed 21 Oct 2009, 13:02:32

rangerone314 wrote:

BYD just started selling the F3DM plug-in for approximately $22,000 in China.

wtf! What would it cost if it were sold in the US, without tarriffs?

I know nothing about US tarriffs. assuming the $22,000 price tag in China what's the estimate cost for the US then?
KevO
Expert
Expert

Unread postby kublikhan » Wed 21 Oct 2009, 13:10:36

Jotapay wrote:
Carlhole wrote:????
It already exists. Kublikhan posted the link a few posts back:
Gizmag

That car you showed is a hybrid. It will only go 62 miles on a single battery charge, as I said. Then it has to switch to the gas-powered generator.
You are looking at the F3DM, a different vehicle made by BYD. This thread is about the e6, which is not a hybrid but is all electric. The first part of the article discusses the F3DM(hybrid). The second part of the article discusses the e6.
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby lper100km » Wed 21 Oct 2009, 13:24:47

Range as a solitary specific is meaningless.

Weight, speed, terrain etc all play into the determination of ‘range.’

I can believe it if a battery pack is put on a tricycle and it travels round in a circle on the salt flats at 4 mph for three days.

MD did a masterful job of explaining the elements and limits of battery power requirements related to automotive use. There’s no silver bullet, made in China or elsewhere. Nothing, but nothing comes close to gasoline power density, short of nuclear.

If the world survives the decline in oil fuels in any kind of orderly fashion, the sight of a golf cart rolling down crumbling highways at 20mph will induce feelings of envy not known since the iconic Ford Mustang first appeared.
lper100km
Lignite
Lignite

Location: Over the tracks, left under the overpass, right, third boxcar on the left, ask for Jack

Unread postby Pops » Wed 21 Oct 2009, 13:30:55

So this breakthrough technology is going to turn coal into steam into electricity into a chemical reaction into electricity into kinetic energy – so no one has to walk to McDonalds.

Great, now I won't be able to afford gas or electricity.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Pops » Wed 21 Oct 2009, 13:36:26

So if a typical jolt of electricity at the dryer outlet delivers +/- 40% of the energy embodied in the primary fuel, I wonder what the final efficiency of a plug in car works out to?
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Voice_du_More » Wed 21 Oct 2009, 13:38:39

Only God can alter the laws of thermodynamics.
Voice_du_More
Peat
Peat

Unread postby KevO » Wed 21 Oct 2009, 13:51:53

Voice_du_More wrote:Only God can alter the laws of thermodynamics.

and She ain't interested
KevO
Expert
Expert

Unread postby frankthetank » Wed 21 Oct 2009, 14:00:54

I thought the future was bicycles and walking shoes?
lawns should be outlawed.
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby NeoPeasant » Wed 21 Oct 2009, 17:33:08

Old kunstler quote that needs repeating:

"As we stumble into the future of a permanent global energy crisis, an interesting delusional theme has taken shape among the public and virtually all our leaders in politics, business, and even science: the obsessive notion that it's all about keeping our cars running by other means, at all costs.
This is very unfortunate because it will be a colossal act of futility. "
- James Kunstler

The pursuit of a means to continue driving our cars at the expense of all alternatives will eventually not only leave us car-less, but alternative-less as well.
The battle to preserve our lifestyle has already been lost. The battle to preserve our lives is just beginning.
NeoPeasant
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby mos6507 » Wed 21 Oct 2009, 18:19:06

Pops wrote:Great, now I won't be able to afford gas or electricity.

You don't have a wind turbine or PV on your roof? What kind of doomer are you?
mos6507

Unread postby DrGray » Wed 21 Oct 2009, 18:37:31

Nice reminder NeoP. And I agree completely.

You know, I have trouble believing any of this battery BS when my latest and greatest cell phone won't even keep a charge for more than a few calls. I realise it's a poor anecdotal observation, but just saying.
DrGray
Peat
Peat

Unread postby americandream » Wed 21 Oct 2009, 19:20:10

As I've been saying all along, global captal lurks behind the scenes and if anything, were this technology to prove to be viable, America and the dollar will soar to lofty heights. America is heavily invested in China, dividends (foreign earnings) wise. China's rise will march in lockstep with America's continued advantage. Like I said, 50 years or so for this system to run its course.

SeaGypsy wrote:How much can the current ramp up to with beefed up connections to the mains? Think about it; your oven and stove and refrigerator and hot water system can all run at the same time. With 3 phase standard power what can the amps rate? Questions others here are more qualified than I to answer.

Either this is a Ponzi conspiracy of monumental proportions or it's a "BUY BUY BUY" I dug a little and found this excellent article introding the company with a focus on it's founder;

"Wang Chuan-Fu started BYD (the letters are the initials of the company's Chinese name) in 1995 in Shenzhen, China. A chemist and government researcher, Wang raised some $300,000 from relatives, rented about 2,000 square meters of space, and set out to manufacture rechargeable batteries to compete with imports from Sony and Sanyo. By about 2000, BYD had become one of the world's largest manufacturers of cellphone batteries. The company went on to design and manufacture mobile-phone handsets and parts for Motorola (MOT, Fortune 500), Nokia (NOK), Sony Ericsson, and Samsung."

Perhaps the noise in April deafened us?

"But Buffett, who is 78, was intrigued by Munger's description of the entrepreneur behind BYD, a man named Wang Chuan-Fu, whom he had met through a mutual friend. "This guy," Munger tells Fortune, "is a combination of Thomas Edison and Jack Welch - something like Edison in solving technical problems, and something like Welch in getting done what he needs to do. I have never seen anything like it."

Coming from Munger, that meant a lot. Munger, the 85-year-old vice chairman of Berkshire Hathaway, is a curmudgeon who frowns on most investment ideas. "When I call Charlie with an idea," Buffett tells me, "and he says, 'That is really a dumb idea,' that means we should put 100% of our net worth into it. If he says, 'That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard,' then you should put 50% of your net worth into it. Only if he says, 'I'm going to have you committed,' does it mean he really doesn't like the idea."

This time Buffett asked another trusted partner, David Sokol, chairman of a Berkshire-owned utility company called MidAmerican Energy, to travel to China and take a closer look at BYD."

http://money.cnn.com/2009/04/13/technol ... c.fortune/
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby yesplease » Wed 21 Oct 2009, 21:28:11

mos6507 wrote:It's a good incremental step but KevO's hysterical sensationalism (sarcasm or no) is misplaced.

Batteries do not follow Moore's law the way consumer electronics and computers do. Something like EESTOR is required to push electric cars over the top.
They haven't kept up with Moore's law, but their drop in cost has been similar to LCDs.
Now, if you want to talk about a longer range EV with a 100 to 150 mile range, you need to look at Li ion. One year ago I priced out a 35 KWh LiFePO4 pack from Thundersky. That pack would have cost me $35,000. Ouch! About a week ago I calculated that the same battery pack from the same manufacturer would cost $18,000. In short, manufacturing capacity is going up, and the price is coming down fast! China actually increased its Li ion manufacturing capacity by 28% last year and now manufactures more Li ion batteries than Japan.

IIRC they've gone from ~$1500/kWh and 1000 cycles to 70% capacity in the earlly 2000s to ~$400/kWh and 5000 cycles to 70% capacity. Five times the lifespan for a quarter of the price seems pretty good to me. That's what, a penny per mile, assuming we take 'em out and toss 'em off a cliff at 70% capacity, even though they still have plenty of life left in 'em?
Professor Membrane wrote: Not now son, I'm making ... TOAST!
yesplease
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby yesplease » Wed 21 Oct 2009, 21:30:48

Pops wrote:So if a typical jolt of electricity at the dryer outlet delivers +/- 40% of the energy embodied in the primary fuel, I wonder what the final efficiency of a plug in car works out to?
About the same as a hybrid, provided the energy source is FF based. Course, we could have a windmill in ND charging a car in LA, or whatever, so it opens up a whole lot of options in terms of fuel.
Professor Membrane wrote: Not now son, I'm making ... TOAST!
yesplease
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Technology