Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

CFL's slow start up and quick burn out

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

CFL's slow start up and quick burn out

Unread postby Pablo2079 » Tue 14 Jun 2005, 10:21:08

I switched out my kitchen lighting from incandescent to compact flourescent. Unfortunately, the lights take a LONG time to get to a usable light level. I personally don't mind this, but my family gives me crap everytime they go into the kitchen. Since it takes so long to for them to "warm up", the family tends to leave the lights on.

Another problem is that the CFLs are not lasting anywhere close to what they should be.

Not impressed, but I'll keep on trying to use them.....
Pablo2079
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Doly » Tue 14 Jun 2005, 10:26:41

I use it for the bedroom. I find it's far less annoying, and even somewhat romantic, the way it takes some time to light up.
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby gnm » Tue 14 Jun 2005, 10:45:48

check your household voltage... barring that it is probably the bulb - some brands are really crappy, try a few single bulbs from different brands to find one that works for you - they should light up almost instantly. Sometimes the more expensive ones are better but I have also had good luck with the 5 packs from costco.... I use cfl's in the whole house.

good luck...

-G
gnm

Unread postby FoxV » Tue 14 Jun 2005, 11:09:26

really can't say I've had any problems with mine.

There is about a 1 second delay from flipping the switch to getting light, but once its on, bulbs seem to be around 80% or more of their light output. And so far none of my bulbs have burned out (2 years for the oldest)

Other than some initial complaints about the on delay from my daugther going to the bathroom in the middle of the night, my family likes their CFL bulbs (and I especially like finally having white light in the rooms)
Angry yet?
FoxV
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Sparaxis » Tue 14 Jun 2005, 12:27:31

For best results, buy only Energy Star-labled CFLs (many utilities subsidize the price--you can get the nice twisted ones at Home Depot here in 6 packs for only $2/apiece). The performance specifications of labeled CFLs requires ignition within 1 second (many are even better), and full run-up (100% light output) within 3 minutes. It's the run-up that tends to bother folks, especially in a room where the light is only used for short periods, such as a closet. It just seems too dim at first.

The minimum lifetime of an Energy Star-labeled CFL is 6000 hours (5.5 years if used on average 3 hours a day), but you can get 8000 and 10,000 hour rated ones too (those are more useful in places where lights are on a lot each day).

Also, if you get a bum one, Energy Star requires a minimum one year manufacturer warranty, so you're covered in that period.

For those in the EU, the EU Code of Conduct-labeled CFLs are the best, and are also covered by warranty. The specifications in some areas (efficiency) are stronger than Energy Star, but Energy Star has the most stringent requirement for lifetime testing and durability.

And remember, never ever throw out a CFL or fluorescent lamp into the trash! They both contain mercury, which is recovered if you take it to a recycling center (many hardware stores here recycle CFLs for you).
Sparaxis
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Andy » Tue 14 Jun 2005, 14:02:52

Every single light bulb in my apartment bar the stove light and the kitchen counter light is compact flourescent. I have not noticed any problem with them. Almost instantaneous start up. Hard to imagine they are not incandescent really. I grew up on older CFL's that would take 5 seconds or more to come up and would also flicker and buzz on start up. That was in Jamaica however with 50 HZ 110V electricity, a very odd combination. It is usually 60 HZ 120 V or 50HZ 220 - 240 V
For ionizing radiation “…the human epidemiological evidence establishes—by any reasonable standard of proof—that there is no safe dose or dose-rate…the safe-dose hypothesis is not merely implausible—it is disproven.” Dr. J.W. Gofman 4
Andy
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Pablo2079 » Tue 14 Jun 2005, 15:18:03

I've had problems with two different types from Costco. The corkscrew types were burning out on warm days in my recessed cannister lighting. I later found out that those ones are not rated for unvented cannister lighting. I then bought some that were. They still didn't last too long. I've gone through about a dozen CFLs in the last couple years.

I've only gone through 2 ( out of 8 ) over the vanity though, so those ones work great. Also, the one outside by the door and a GE flourescent torchiere lamp in the front room has been excellent. (I used to go through halogen bulbs A LOT).

I may give up on them in the kitchen though... or try a different brand.
Pablo2079
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby MarkR » Tue 14 Jun 2005, 15:39:10

There are 2 main types of CFL, at least in the UK.

Conventional: which use a transformer and an spark-gap starter, just like conventional fluorescent lamps.

Electronic: These use an electronic circuit instead of the transformer and starter.

Conventional CFLs do the standard clicking, flickering thing at startup. Electronics just switch on immediately.

The electronic ones also have longer life 6000-12000 hours, lower power consumption a '100W' equivalent is 20W (vs 23W for a conventional CFL). They are lighter (in weight), slightly more compact, warm up quicker and don't buzz or flicker when they die. They are also able to compensate (to some extent) for fluctuating mains voltage, but at the same time, are more fragile if confronted with a big power surge (e.g. a large AC unit cutting in or out).

The problem is that the electronic ones are more expensive (up to 2x the price), so must 'budget' bulbs are conventional ones.

If you are having problems with CFLs not lasting, then heat is the most likely problem. They will die fairly quickly, if they are allowed to overheat; you can't use them with enclosed fittings.
MarkR
Peat
Peat

Unread postby clv101 » Tue 14 Jun 2005, 16:25:26

I've only used CFL for around 10 years now. 10 years ago they were slow starting and dim for the first minute or two. After moving two years ago and buying new bulbs all around they are fantastic. Instant on and at full brightness. I have about 10 which are all now two years old and haven't needed to replace one yet.
"Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen." The Emperor (Return of the Jedi)
The Oil Drum: Europe
clv101
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby jimmyz » Wed 15 Jun 2005, 23:06:45

sounds like to me you got the cheap ones off ebay. I have ones off ebay and they take a while to get bright. the ones i got at home depot don't take the long.
jimmyz
Peat
Peat

Unread postby strider3700 » Wed 15 Jun 2005, 23:27:51

Yep I've had some older CFL's that are round and look just like incandesant bulbs. They took a long time to come up to their full light levels and make a sickly pink color until they get there. They also tended to burn out quickly. with my new place I've gone all new coil shaped CFL's they are instantly at 80% and I barely notice any change between that and full brightness. non burnt out yet in 6 months. I also completely replaced my outside floods with CFL floods from costco. They work and at full usage all 6 lights use the same wattage as 1 150 watt bulb I replaced. The only issue is they take some time to get real bright. Give them a minute though and my whole yard is lit up.
shame on us, doomed from the start
god have mercy on our dirty little hearts
strider3700
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Energy Technology