Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

"Can Collapse of Global Civ. Be Avoided?" by P&A Ehrlich

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Re: "Can Collapse of Global Civ. Be Avoided?" by P&A Ehrlich

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 16 Apr 2018, 06:44:12

Newfie wrote:Undoubtly true on all boards is that there is a contingen who is there to simply argue or press some point. Such faults while painfully obvious in others are often unseen in ourselves. Most of us do this at some time, except me of course. ;)

What feeds this dynamic is that it seems one can find on almost any subject on the Net, a source(s) which confirm your point of view.
So this aggravates the tendency for confirmation bias. So other than straying too far from reality as we humans currently understand it, arguments cannot be settled one way or the other.
I will also point a rather tedious and weak counterpoint the optimists like to employ. That if hasn't happen before or yet why should it happen going forward. I trust any of you can see the flaw in that line of reasoning
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 16 Apr 2018, 07:52:57

I don’t know, I think some things are perfectly clear but are muddled in the minutia of argument. Once you draw back to the larger perspective things clarify.

Consider this, roughly speaking:
1.There are about 2 acres of habitable land per person on earth.
2. Humans require about 5 acres of land per person all in; agriculture, habitation, sewage, water capture.
3. #2, according to the guy who made the model, is very optimistic because it does not take into account soil depletion and other resource depletion impacts.

These are pretty stable numbers that are defensible. Forget climate change (for the moment) these numbers are much more frightening, less debatable, harder to deal with. But we ignore them and dither about cc and oil extraction rates.

It’s essentially the Limits to Growth argument. I’ve seen no credible rebuttal to LTG, just denial that “it hasn’t happened yet.” Well it was not supposed to. By that same logic I could argue I am immortal, because I haven’t died yet. And that’s perfectly logical, 100% of folks alive today have not yet died.

The fundamentals are perfectly clear to anyone sufficiently open minded. Both of us. :badgrin:
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 16 Apr 2018, 08:15:19

I’ve seen no credible rebuttal to LTG, just denial

Yes and my whole thrust here and you Newf and others is that no magic techno/innovative bullet exists to "solve" this and avoid a pretty large dieoff and a reconfiguration/downgrade of our world civilization. The numbers and logic dictate that this will be inevitable
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Ibon » Mon 16 Apr 2018, 11:09:32

onlooker wrote:
I’ve seen no credible rebuttal to LTG, just denial

Yes and my whole thrust here and you Newf and others is that no magic techno/innovative bullet exists to "solve" this and avoid a pretty large dieoff and a reconfiguration/downgrade of our world civilization. The numbers and logic dictate that this will be inevitable

If we were another sentient species looking upon humanity we would have no problem recognizing the solutions which are what we constantly try to avoid....... it's the very die-off itself.

Hard to be objective when it is your own flesh and blood perishing that solves the problem.

Doctors learn clinical detachment when performing surgery. Collectively we totally lack this skill when applying it to our species dilemma.

How many times have I posted this sentiment here for almost 15 years. Probably 300 times :)
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 16 Apr 2018, 11:58:29

How many times have I posted this sentiment here for almost 15 years. Probably 300 times :)

Thanks for hanging in there Ibon, as I miss your posting :-D
Yes, I have admitted that accepting this "real" solution has been tough for me. It is like someone telling you, you have to walk through fire but on the other side is very green pastures
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Mon 16 Apr 2018, 12:42:35

The practical side of this concept is pretty obvious. You prepare to survive while 9 out of 10 around you who are less prepared, die. You teach your kids and grandkids to do the same. You leave them a little something to help, but not enough to make things too easy, because they must struggle to survive in the brave new world. In this manner, you ensure that your genes persist.

Dare I say, easier to say than to do.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 16 Apr 2018, 15:02:43

First you have get your kids to listen.

I’m stuck right there.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 16 Apr 2018, 15:09:04

We seem to always come back to the caveat of Ibon. Not until severe consequences hit will people in mass realize the severity and urgency of action. But by then very little can be done to ameliorate the situation. Like being told a tidal wave is coming and not believing until it's almost on top of you
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Mon 16 Apr 2018, 17:01:02

onlooker wrote:We seem to always come back to the caveat of Ibon. Not until severe consequences hit will people in mass realize the severity and urgency of action. But by then very little can be done to ameliorate the situation. Like being told a tidal wave is coming and not believing until it's almost on top of you

OTOH, if you tell people every day or week or month or even year that "a tidal wave is about to hit you", then when it doesn't, they are less likely to listen. Even if you more accurately/reasonably state that you can't really say WHEN (or even close) that the tidal wave will hit -- only that the math makes it inevitable that it WILL hit in the next few centuries or so.

And to me, given that technology changes and tends to help in the short term, we can't even confidently say the "within a few centuries" is 100% accurate.

Having nieces and nephews instead of children, I suspect a big part of the "not listening" thing might be that they get a LOT of conflicting messages, and often.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 16 Apr 2018, 17:07:49

Yeah, but I am DAD - don’t they know that means I’m infallible?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 17 Apr 2018, 09:15:48

Newfie wrote:I don’t know, I think some things are perfectly clear but are muddled in the minutia of argument. Once you draw back to the larger perspective things clarify.

Consider this, roughly speaking:
1.There are about 2 acres of habitable land per person on earth.
2. Humans require about 5 acres of land per person all in; agriculture, habitation, sewage, water capture.
3. #2, according to the guy who made the model, is very optimistic because it does not take into account soil depletion and other resource depletion impacts.

These are pretty stable numbers that are defensible. Forget climate change (for the moment) these numbers are much more frightening, less debatable, harder to deal with. But we ignore them and dither about cc and oil extraction rates.

It’s essentially the Limits to Growth argument. I’ve seen no credible rebuttal to LTG, just denial that “it hasn’t happened yet.” Well it was not supposed to. By that same logic I could argue I am immortal, because I haven’t died yet. And that’s perfectly logical, 100% of folks alive today have not yet died.

The fundamentals are perfectly clear to anyone sufficiently open minded. Both of us. :badgrin:

I think you had let yourself be trapped into a rut with this line of thinking. What I mean is, you state that it is a fact that there are only 2 habitable acres per person and ecological demand per person is 5 acre each. From this you conclude there is a 60% surplus in population that needs to be reduced ASAP or catastrophic calamity will result.

However in a real ecosystem overshoot the condition only lasts about 12-18 months maximum, and can resolve in as little as minutes at minimum. The classic example of this certain people around here liked to throw out a decade ago were the reindeer of St. Mathew island. The Coast Guard/Navy built a weather station and they wanted a meat supply for the people who would be manning it. They dropped of 10-20 breeding pair of reindeer on St. Mathew island which had abundant vegetation but no large mammals and no large predators. The reindeer ate and bred and ate and bred without any effective culling of the population by predator species until the new generation born in the last year put their population into extreme overshoot conditions somewhere around that 60% mark you named above. As a consequence they ate the vegetation faster than it could grow back and stripped the island of almost all of the vegetation which they could consume, which was followed by mass starvation and mass die off because once famine set in the dead animals hosted myriad diseases that further devastated the weakened survivors. Then some humans came along, discovered that only a few reindeer were still alive and shot seven of them to study the carcasses for research on the causes. The few reindeer that remained after the harvesting expedition were not able to breed so even though the vegetation recovered after the die off they eventually died out from lack of offspring.

Of course on St. Mathew island if anyone with a lick of common sense had been involved they would have waited until year three, four at the latest, and introduced a few breeding pairs of predators to balance the ecosystem equation. Be that as it may, my point is in a real overshoot you do not maintain a 60% overhang for year after year after year like humanity has been doing since the 1970's according to the models that use that 2 acre/5 acre metric you mentioned above.

Why? Because humans use technology, starting with herding, then progressing to crop agriculture and so on down the line. The 2/5 acre metric might be 100% true if you were talking about peasant farmers from 1018 AD with todays population to support, but I would argue even that is a stretch. Look at it historically for a minute. China in 1018 AD already had a population over 100 Million people and at that time the nation state was about half the size it is today because it did not include Tibet or a lot of the territory on the northern edge of the country. India had about 75 million at the same time. The agricultural practices were not remarkably better than those practices in Europe though they were a bit more diligent in the use of fertilizer.
This is what China looked like with 100,000,000 people living full productive lives.Image

100 Million people in that small brown swatch of the surface of the entire planet. About 25-30% of the modern surface area of China with water buffalo pulled plows being the main farm implement other than stoop labor.

It is not like the climate is vastly different in that China than other regions so crops go extremely well in those conditions, or they had super technology we lost and no longer have access to today. They were just people who went out and worked on growing food, they raised livestock and fish in ponds and sure, they ate a lot of rice, but they lived well enough none the less. In Roman Empire times around 200 AD the Europeans within the Empire did nearly as well on a population density basis. Large scale farming comes down to knowledge more than any other factor. If your farmers understand what they need to do to get a crop to grow then they will do so. Unlike the USA that went all mega agriculture subsidized farming starting in the 1970's most of Western Europe still has moderate size farms with diversified inter dependent systems living there. The theorists in Washington D.C. will tell you that a thousand acre farm with a mono-crop of X will be more efficient because they can have just the specialized machinery to grow and harvest crop X without all the distractions of growing Y and Z plus poultry and livestock. Of course here in real world it is known that simply growing X year in and year out requires tons of artificial fertilizer and tons more of pesticides plus tons of herbicides and lest we forget more tons of fungicides on top of those.

The only way your 2 Acre/5 Acre model is true is to admit we use technology to supply more than 3 Acres of services to the system and if you take away technology THEN you have a 60% overshoot. But technology is not going to go away from one day to the next, so the 'overshoot' is consistently a model result but not a real physical world result.

There is another factor as well. A lot of those model makers (if not all of them) are academics who think you can only farm in a very narrow set of circumstances of climate. They either do not know, or do not count, all the myriad ways that people have grown livestock and crops in climates outside of the narrow range they classify as ideal.

One of the ones I like to point out but people fail to grasp. Crop farming has been taking place in central Russia for 1200-1500 years now at a minimum and possibly longer. Climate conditions in central Russia are what Californians consider incredibly harsh. Barley is the second largest grain crop in Russia and just like the Vikings they grow it as far north as 65 degrees latitude North. Just like a few farmers in Alaska did when our government encouraged crop farming in our farthest north state.

Point being, there is a heck of a lot of surface are on this planet which CAN crop crops which currently do not grow crops because we do not need to do so to feed our population with our super cheap transportation. When it was expensive to haul grain long distances there were a great many farms in Massachusetts. Today there are some farms in MA but not very many compared to a century ago because today we subsidize Iowa corn and North Dakota wheat which is then shipped cheaply to MA for the residents to eat as tortilla chips and bread. That does NOT mean we can no longer grow crops in Massachusetts, it simply means we no longer choose to do so because the small farms that used to be there could not compete with the massively subsidized mega farms of the great plains states. Heck from your own experience you should know Newfoundland in 1946 was nearly food independent, they fished and grew enough food to feed their entire population well. After the absorption into Canada the Newfoundlander's were flooded with cheap grains from Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta and their previously successful farmers went out of business because they could not compete with the cheap subsidized prairie grown grains. like MA there is no physical reason the Newfies can not farm and produce their own food, but they buy cheap imported crops instead.

IOW if we need to grow more food because our technology declines we can return to growing food in Newfoundland, in Massachusetts and yes even in Alaska. This puts the 2/5acre model in severe doubt, to say the least.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 17 Apr 2018, 10:10:04

Tanada,

I deleted my long preachy response, I’ll just keep it short. We can discuss details if needed.

You post describes how we got where we are.

I does not address how we sustain where we are.

What do we do when fossil fuels run out?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby evilgenius » Tue 17 Apr 2018, 12:36:22

Malthus was right about the pressures a human population would feel. I don't think he was right in extrapolating man's response. He didn't really take into account the way that markets provide goods when there is demand. There only has to be enough of a business model there that those with capital are comfortable with investing. They need a certain probability of success. Most people see the poor with their limited access to wealth as not possessed of the capacity for increasing demand. The things is, though, that they can drive marginal demand. The path to success in chasing that, when other forms of success are all locked in ecosystems against which it is very difficult to compete, has been to use technology and investment capacity to reduce operating costs relative to what sort of income the poor have to spend. Financial, as well as technological, innovation has played a huge role in this type of success. The prevalence of globalization as a guiding philosophical doctrine hasn't half hurt either. That globalization pillar is under threat right now. Will it be replaced with a nationalistic centrism, or by regionalism. Will people more easily flit back and forth between some sort of understanding that recognizes how important global thinking is to widespread economic success and how important it is to invest locally as well, or will hardship caused by shortages take away this pillar?
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 17 Apr 2018, 13:11:51

Evil,

Do you think Malthus will be right 500 years from now?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 17 Apr 2018, 21:58:49

Newfie wrote:Tanada,

I deleted my long preachy response, I’ll just keep it short. We can discuss details if needed.

You post describes how we got where we are.

I does not address how we sustain where we are.

What do we do when fossil fuels run out?

Okay I will respond with the short version.
1) I don't particularly like BAU but I have come to the understanding that TPTB want to stay in power and therefore they will do everything within their capabilities to maintain BAU because that means they remain the Powers That Be.

2) Fossil fuels are no different than any other mineral resource, as exploitation goes on the quantities easily available continue to decrease. this is the frequently cited Low Hanging Fruit analogy. However as quality goes down and quantities of extractive effort go up prices will also rise enforcing a self limiting economic cap on production. We have not found that limit yet, when prices stayed in the $80-115/bbl band for four years world demand continued to increase. However that doesn't mean there is no limit, it just means we have not found it yet. Sustained high prices for oil had two major effects. A) they encouraged substitution (EV's, hybrids, alternative fuels, substitution with rail vs trucking and so on. B) high prices decreased frivolous and marginal uses for fossil petroleum.

3) People have not yet faced up to the fact that fossil fuels are peaking out, but when they are forced to this realization they will focus on widespread adaptation to non fossil fuel energy sources. most likely this will lead to a renaissance in fission power because despite all the fear mongers and hype it really is the least polluting 24/7 energy source and it has an extremely long into the future supply available with technology we can take off the shelf and deploy when we get the message that fear is less important than affordable energy. We have know for 40+ years how to generate electricity and process heat from fission sources but the NIMBY forces and fear mongering by the fossil fuel industries have stifled that deployment. one day the big fossil companies like Exxon-Mobile will switch from fear mongering to owning nuclear power plants at which point the advertising will suddenly shift and inside a few months the public will be bombarded with all positive messages about 'modern clean safe nuclear power' because when Exxon-mobile and Shell and Total own the nuclear industry instead of being in direct competition with it everyone who wants their advertising dollars like the mainstream media will stop on a dime and shift course to join the chorus and get their share of the advertising revenue.

4) If all else fails our civilization will continue to decline and in a couple centuries we will be back to animal muscle power and world population will have declined to whatever level widespread subsistence farming can support. Judging by all the currently fallow land we know can be put into production I believe that number is at least 3 Billion and possibly higher, but even if we fall back to a million our species is wide spread and will persist. The carefully bread and/or genetically modified crops we grow today all have a yield that is massively larger than the crops we grew when the Earth only had 1 billion people living a low tech lifestyle so with modern wheat, rice and maize varieties I expect we will be able to support three to five times as many people with no other changes from 1018 technology. Modern semi-dwarf wheat for example breeds true and yields (with fertilizer) 25 times as much as 1018 AD wheat yielded, and without fertilizer it still yields 4-6 times as much as 1018 wheat yielded on a per acre measure. Farmers are not going to forget how to grow the wheat they are using today and those high yield strains are much more likely to remain in use than we are to return to ancestral grains that had a yield of 3:1 which required a third of the crop be used as seed for the next season.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 18 Apr 2018, 07:35:40

Tanada

At first glance I allow the possibility of this viewpoint except on 2 points.

1 The soil we have is being depleted by the intensive farming techniques we are using. The numbers I have heard are depletion rates at 10 to 40 times to sustainable rate.
2 Climate change will reduce the amount of soil available by desertification. There is simply less land between 30-40N/S than there is between 20-30N/S. And that land is generally much poorer to boot.

But at worst we are quibbling over the differen of a population of 3 billion or a population of 1 billion. I allow the possibility or probability of it going lower but that gets into more speculative territory.

So my main point was that on a cursory review of the facts we can not sustain the population we have now. Your analysis puts the lower number at 3 billion vs my 1 billion. On the depth of population loss only do we disagree.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Ibon » Wed 18 Apr 2018, 10:25:07

Newfie wrote:Tanada

At first glance I allow the possibility of this viewpoint except on 2 points.

1 The soil we have is being depleted by the intensive farming techniques we are using. The numbers I have heard are depletion rates at 10 to 40 times to sustainable rate.
2 Climate change will reduce the amount of soil available by desertification. There is simply less land between 30-40N/S than there is between 20-30N/S. And that land is generally much poorer to boot.

But at worst we are quibbling over the differen of a population of 3 billion or a population of 1 billion. I allow the possibility or probability of it going lower but that gets into more speculative territory.

So my main point was that on a cursory review of the facts we can not sustain the population we have now. Your analysis puts the lower number at 3 billion vs my 1 billion. On the depth of population loss only do we disagree.

The other important point is how quickly we recalibrate from an eventual 8 or 9 billion down to a newy defined carrying capacity post fossil fuels. If this is multi generational then it might happen by a slow enough attrition that there is no real "die-off event". I am guessing this will be the case, a couple of centuries of adjustment downward as we adapt.

Never under estimate the cultural elasticity possible when younger generations are born under the honing affects of increasing constraints.

At this point I no longer view a collapse or die-off as likely. Modern civilization is inherently conservative and resilient because as I mentioned in another post there is no other game in town.

What alternative living arrangement could replace what we have? None really.

On nuclear fission I also tend to agree we will see a resurgence. Many folks would like to see that we collectively live within the constraints of alternative energy but the pressures to preserve the opulence and excesses of modern civilization pretty much makes it a foregone conclusion that nuclear power will ramp up as fossil fuels decline.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 18 Apr 2018, 11:31:13

Depends on how you define “collapse” and “die off.” It seems we argue there will be a general population REDUCTION, the depth, speed and cultural effects are unknown. Is a slow retreat to 1 (or even 3) billion over a thousand years a “die off”? I would say yes. Your definition may vary.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby evilgenius » Wed 18 Apr 2018, 12:39:36

Newfie wrote:Evil,

Do you think Malthus will be right 500 years from now?

I don't know, but certainly this time presents itself as a possible inflection point. In order to reduce expenses and compete business has had to go global. On a global level they have discovered how to choose the cheapest regions to manufacture in, sometimes even region hopping as they seek a continual cheap source of labor. Sometimes, as in Rep. Tom DeLay's support for factories on US territories, they imported the cheap labor. Either way, an anti-globalization stance could reverse a trend that has brought a version of wealth to a lot of people. You get a lot of agitation in places where people used to be wealthy, and now aren't. That agitation can manifest itself in support for populist candidates like Donald Trump, but it could also present itself in the form of a civil war in places where the economy has become based upon a factory as contractor model. Those places embroiled in war are the ones that may not have the additional will or resources to function on the modern level we've come to expect, that responds to disasters in a manner that, at least, sets a place back to where it was before. They might not properly distribute food, for the politics of the conflict. I guess Bosnia is the most recent example of that kind of thing. China would be a much worse problem for the world, in that state, than Bosnia was. Indonesia would, as well. Thailand might take as many resources as Vietnam once did. Everything the world had going back then could barely help Bosnia. Aid works better when the parties are more receptive to the nuances that surround it. Political turmoil has a way of entrenching people into positions from which they don't budge for long periods of time.

It's not like anti-globalization would bring more jobs to America. America really does sell a lot of stuff to the rest of the world. If they can't afford to buy it anymore, then those new jobs would be more than offset by even greater job losses. Anti-globalization just serves to make people feel better. That can be a good thing in the course of societies. What it can also do, however, is to become, for a lot of people, something they take too seriously. Maybe it affects them more directly, threatening their jobs, or something? But they begin to think that their plight should mean that others equal to them in society should do without so that they can have again. The easiest way to continue to do that is to fudge on the concept of equality between themselves and those other groups. It helps to find a scapegoat. In the absence of a scapegoat, a range of both hard and soft prejudices will often do. The West has not allowed those things to propel it into any kind of a Bosnia like situation, although that situation could be called a model for their situation when it does go a certain way. There are a lot of stops in the American system designed to prevent tyranny. The problem is that most of them can be done away with by exposure to what people perceive as a period of normalcy within which the offensive practices nonetheless prevail.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Ibon » Wed 18 Apr 2018, 13:20:38

Newfie wrote:Depends on how you define “collapse” and “die off.” It seems we argue there will be a general population REDUCTION, the depth, speed and cultural effects are unknown. Is a slow retreat to 1 (or even 3) billion over a thousand years a “die off”? I would say yes. Your definition may vary.

That's a good point. I probably have a pretty subjective definition. It goes something like this:

If it is spread through centuries or a thousand years it is a correction

If it causes trauma on a massive collective society it is a "die-off"

The former is not really even noticed. The latter is up in your face with front row seating!
Ibon
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Book/Media Reviews